the tkachuk family

Horsman1

The Thomas signing puts the Blues 1.2 ish mil over the cap. Demoting any one of Bozak, MacEachern or Clifford won’t clear enough cap. Likely Frolik and Neal, both on PTOs, will get cut. Sanford, Barbachev or Sundqvist need demotion to be compliant.

If the Flames traded for either Barbachev or Sundqvist, the Blues would need to take back around 450 and 950k respectively at least to fit in Flames cap once demoting Froese. Should we do Ritchie and Phillips for Barbachev? I would prefer Sundqvist but Ritchie wouldn’t be enough and the next closest would be Dube who costs too much for The Blues. Maybe add in a third round pick for Salary retention on Sundqvist?

Just thinking aloud.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, bosn111 said:

The Thomas signing puts the Blues 1.2 ish mil over the cap. Demoting any one of Bozak, MacEachern or Clifford won’t clear enough cap. Likely Frolik and Neal, both on PTOs, will get cut. Sanford, Barbachev or Sundqvist need demotion to be compliant.

If the Flames traded for either Barbachev or Sundqvist, the Blues would need to take back around 450 and 950k respectively at least to fit in Flames cap once demoting Froese. Should we do Ritchie and Phillips for Barbachev? I would prefer Sundqvist but Ritchie wouldn’t be enough and the next closest would be Dube who costs too much for The Blues. Maybe add in a third round pick for Salary retention on Sundqvist?

Just thinking aloud.

I believe the plan is Sundqvist on LTIR, but it's not a long term solution.

Robert Thomas article

Just came across the above to get an idea of the player from the perspective of the city and fans. At 21/22 he’s not a reclamation project, but they identify that something is concerningly missing there. He’s not pushing himself to grab a higher position. I trust what you’ve seen of him in the past Conundrumed is accurate, and the reason he was selected 20th overall, but given the state of the flames and the same concerns with our own players’ give-a-crap o’meter, I have to say I’ve become very cautious of Thomas as a target. He could need a change of scenery like Bennett did, but he’s playing for St. Louis… it’s not like it’s Buffalo or something. Hmmm…

6 minutes ago, lou44291 said:

Robert Thomas article

Just came across the above to get an idea of the player from the perspective of the city and fans. At 21/22 he’s not a reclamation project, but they identify that something is concerningly missing there. He’s not pushing himself to grab a higher position. I trust what you’ve seen of him in the past Conundrumed is accurate, and the reason he was selected 20th overall, but given the state of the flames and the same concerns with our own players’ give-a-crap o’meter, I have to say I’ve become very cautious of Thomas as a target. He could need a change of scenery like Bennett did, but he’s playing for St. Louis… it’s not like it’s Buffalo or something. Hmmm…

Covid year. I'm trying to take nothing away from last year on anyone. Just a weird year of pro pond hockey for me.

No worries Thomas will be good being back to a regular season. He's too good of a player. But are they honestly suggesting he should be taking ROR's seat?? That's overkill. He's only 22. I'm not claiming he's Crosby.

Assumed Army wouldn't have an appetite to trade him, and that's become clear.

6 hours ago, lou44291 said:

Robert Thomas article

I am cautious of....us.

We need some big changes before taking projects on.   We just gave up a project for almost nothing (Bennett) which is now blowing up in our faces.

I'm not That picky, I'd take Thomas.   But my preference would be picks because we would be able to acquire higher ceilings and we would have more time to repair our organisation before developing them.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
23 minutes ago, Thebrewcrew said:

With Brady Tkachuk signing long term, I think it gives an idea for what Matthew would want on a long term extension.

We all know his QO is 9 next year. I think he's asking for 9.5x8

Without question. But he's a 60 pt player.

His linemates will elevate that. If Barkov is $10, it's hard to justify Tkachuk at $9.5, by, like, a lot.

It's hard to sit on Tkachuk knowing he'll hardline more than he's worth.

I'll be really surprised if Brady lives up to that contract. What do they think, they're Jeff Skinner?lol

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, conundrumed said:

Without question. But he's a 60 pt player.

His linemates will elevate that. If Barkov is $10, it's hard to justify Tkachuk at $9.5, by, like, a lot.

It's hard to sit on Tkachuk knowing he'll hardline more than he's worth.

I'll be really surprised if Brady lives up to that contract. What do they think, they're Jeff Skinner?lol

Absolutely.

The Flames have a decision to make in the offseason. Due to the big QO, they either have to pay up or walk him to UFA. If they want him to be the captain, then they may have to pay up. 

13 minutes ago, Thebrewcrew said:

Absolutely.

The Flames have a decision to make in the offseason. Due to the big QO, they either have to pay up or walk him to UFA. If they want him to be the captain, then they may have to pay up. 

I'm not a Tkachuk fan. He's drama overload on the ice. That's the best part of his game and keeps him in the spotlight. Never did like it. Muzzin negated that crap, others will too.

That's the risk he runs. 

Is it about the team, or you, Matt?

Why are you firing the opposition up?

I still think Thomas is a much better and far more responsible player. 

1 hour ago, conundrumed said:

I'm not a Tkachuk fan. He's drama overload on the ice. That's the best part of his game and keeps him in the spotlight. Never did like it. Muzzin negated that crap, others will too.

That's the risk he runs. 

Is it about the team, or you, Matt?

Why are you firing the opposition up?

I still think Thomas is a much better and far more responsible player. 

That's fair.

I like him. But I'm not sure I like him at 9+. To me, if you want that kind of $, you've got to be a superstar. Tkachuk is very good, but I'm not sure he's at that level. 

• 9 months later...
On 9/19/2021 at 7:42 PM, ABC923 said:

Tkachuk’s comments make me think he has every intention of signing his QO next year and walking right out the door as a UFA. Probably best To move him now if possible. He doesn’t sound like a team guy in this case.

And here we are.

The rocket science catches us offguard again.