The Next Captain of the Calgary Flames

Thebrewcrew

It's sad to see Gio go. He was a tremendous Calgary Flame, on and off the ice. 

Now, who's the next captain?

Tkachuk- A year ago this was a slam-dunk. Now, as much. If Tkachuk wants to be a long-term Flame, I think they give him the "C". If he wants to hit UFA in two seasons, that's an entirely different discussion.

Backlund- I think he's a darkhorse to be named captain, depending on how the team views the future of #19. He's been a long-term Flame and he's active in the community. 

It truly is impossible for us as fans to know who the leaders in the dressing room are, but it's a fun discussion. Other players I could see being in the mix for the captaincy are Tanev, Lucic and then maybe Lindholm. Again hard to know who the leaders, but a fun discussion

1 hour ago, Thebrewcrew said:

It's sad to see Gio go. He was a tremendous Calgary Flame, on and off the ice. 

Now, who's the next captain?

Tkachuk- A year ago this was a slam-dunk. Now, as much. If Tkachuk wants to be a long-term Flame, I think they give him the "C". If he wants to hit UFA in two seasons, that's an entirely different discussion.

Backlund- I think he's a darkhorse to be named captain, depending on how the team views the future of #19. He's been a long-term Flame and he's active in the community. 

It truly is impossible for us as fans to know who the leaders in the dressing room are, but it's a fun discussion. Other players I could see being in the mix for the captaincy are Tanev, Lucic and then maybe Lindholm. Again hard to know who the leaders, but a fun discussion

Your captain needs to have the respect of the room, as well of the coach .. Matthew doesn't have that .. yet .. he will wear a C one day , but today is not the day .. plus he needs to have the respect of officials -- he doesn't have that 

I've argued all my life your captain doesn't need to be your best player .. and typically shouldn't be .. i felt the whole time Iggy needed to not be captain and just focus on what he does best 

I could argue Monahan.. but Im on the fence .. don't know where he sits in the room 

if it were up to me, I couldn't Sew that C on Lucic's jersey fast enough-- leadership, mentors the kids, respect from everybody .. maybe by the time hes ready to retire Matthew will be ready , if he's still here 

29 minutes ago, phoenix66 said:

Your captain needs to have the respect of the room, as well of the coach .. Matthew doesn't have that .. yet .. he will wear a C one day , but today is not the day .. plus he needs to have the respect of officials -- he doesn't have that 

I've argued all my life your captain doesn't need to be your best player .. and typically shouldn't be .. i felt the whole time Iggy needed to not be captain and just focus on what he does best 

I could argue Monahan.. but Im on the fence .. don't know where he sits in the room 

if it were up to me, I couldn't Sew that C on Lucic's jersey fast enough-- leadership, mentors the kids, respect from everybody .. maybe by the time hes ready to retire Matthew will be ready , if he's still here 

If he's the presumptive C, then they will do a bunch of 'A' this year and forego the C for now.

44 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

If he's the presumptive C, then they will do a bunch of 'A' this year and forego the C for now.

Tachuck is gotta be the guy, but I do also agree 3As and or rotational C may be in order this year may be smart, let Tachuck get his game back first…though in all fairness sometimes the best leaders can be developed under hard circumstances and this year will be a tough year for Cgy…hard to say, In some ways having a solid leader moving forward could be best but overall, I think the smart play may be a rotational C…cause as much as I think Tachuck should be and will probably be an amazing C…rotational could uncover someone better…

or

Maybe sign Gabriel Landesok (sp?) he’s a solid C intern till Matt is ready? 

I’m not in the room so not a great opinion but as an outsider looking in, I wouldn’t name one. Let that role be earned or learned. 

im not putting the C on a guy like lucic. Nothing against him but I wouldn’t want my captain being one of the most over paid players in the league who you can’t wait to have his deal end. 

1 hour ago, cross16 said:

I’m not in the room so not a great opinion but as an outsider looking in, I wouldn’t name one. Let that role be earned or learned. 

im not putting the C on a guy like lucic. Nothing against him but I wouldn’t want my captain being one of the most over paid players in the league who you can’t wait to have his deal end. 

Agreed on Lucic. Your captain doesn't need to be the best player, but he shouldn't be a boat anchor either. I'm also not convinced he's as well liked and respected in the dressing room as we may think. He strikes me as a guy that half the team loves and the other half can't stand; making a guy like that captain could exacerbate problems rather than fix them. 

I don't currently see a captain on this team. Maybe Tanev, but that's reaching.

2 hours ago, ABC923 said:

Agreed on Lucic. Your captain doesn't need to be the best player, but he shouldn't be a boat anchor either. I'm also not convinced he's as well liked and respected in the dressing room as we may think. He strikes me as a guy that half the team loves and the other half can't stand; making a guy like that captain could exacerbate problems rather than fix them. 

I don't currently see a captain on this team. Maybe Tanev, but that's reaching.

4 hours ago, cross16 said:

For me, I don't like that he gets preferential treatment. He can play like crap but keeps on getting thrown out there. To me, that's a room killer. I get they need to be professionals, but if you're outing guys for the same mistakes that Lucic makes and never does that with him, then I just think it kills the room and kills someone's confidence. It is the human side of the game and a game of chess I just didn't understand that Sutter was playing with some of the players last year. Maybe he's trying to see if they have thicker skin? But I think it's what made Bennett stop playing hard. What's the point if when he does play well, like in the playoffs, then gets relegated to the 4th line? Why try anyway? I just think the amount of bouncing around the lineup had killed his desire... Can the way they call out, kill the desire of the young players? 

I just don't think it's healthy to make a guy like Lucic captain. 

Not Tkachuk - I hope to god no.

No obvious candidate but my vote would be Tanev for at least an A.

Mangiapne for an A

Backlund for the other A

I would take the A away from Tkachuk and Monahan

On the hockey side we should probably go with no 'C' for a while but I think owners will want a figurehead for the community/marekting side.  So it would not suprise me to see Backlund get it.

9 hours ago, cross16 said:

I hate the deal, but not the player 

outside of Gio, whos the first to speak to the media and speak from the heart without sugarcoating ?

he busts his hump every time he's on the ice 

he considered retirement because he didn't feel he was playing up to his contract 

he does everything asked of him

he epitomizes Sutter hockey 

Dube, Mangiapane, both grew as players playing with him .. you could argue Bennett played some of his final best Flames hockey with Lucic 

Like i said earlier, Chucky will be a Captain one day .. but he's not ready .. I have to squint to picture Monahan ..Backlund maybe , but I don't see him doing captain-esque things now .... take away the contract , and Lucic embodies everything you want from a captain ..nobody else on this team makes one shred of sense,  if its not Lucic then it should just be A's to a group 

9 hours ago, cross16 said:

outside of Gio, whos the first to speak to the media and speak from the heart without sugarcoating ?

he considered retirement because he didn't feel he was playing up to his contract 

Dube, Mangiapane, both grew as players playing with him .. you could argue Bennett played some of his final best Flames hockey with Lucic 

Like i said earlier, Chucky will be a Captain one day .. but he's not ready .. I have to squint to picture Monahan ..Backlund maybe , but I don't see him doing captain-esque things now .... take away the contract , and Lucic embodies everything you want from a captain ..nobody else on this team makes one shred of sense,  if its not Lucic then it should just be A's to a group 

1 hour ago, phoenix66 said:

You speak truths, but he's not there to lead on the ice.

He's there to do what the coach asks of him and what his teammates want from him.

Not enough to make him the C.

I want Lucic to focus on the things that make him great and leave the rallying part to someone else.

On 7/22/2021 at 10:15 AM, phoenix66 said:

While I do agree another year of seasoning would be best before Tachuck takes over the the C …I’m not sold

on Backlund or Lucic either, I think the best option may be a rotational C, some

time of which I think Tachuck should take…the next best option IMO would be to hopefully sign landskog (SP?) maybe 4 years max…he’s been a great C for Col, and his age, and position to play C would be a huge upgrade on Backlund…making Backlund either expendable or an expensive, but great 3rd line Ctr…

23 hours ago, MP5029 said:

While I do agree another year of seasoning would be best before Tachuck takes over the the C …I’m not sold

on Backlund or Lucic either, I think the best option may be a rotational C, some

time of which I think Tachuck should take…the next best option IMO would be to hopefully sign landskog (SP?) maybe 4 years max…he’s been a great C for Col, and his age, and position to play C would be a huge upgrade on Backlund…making Backlund either expendable or an expensive, but great 3rd line Ctr…

Considering what Landeskog will get in FA he doesn't make a whole lot of sense for the Flames as a target.

LHS LW that doesn't generate scoring chances as well without Mackinnon and Rantanen.

1 hour ago, Sarasti said:

Considering what Landeskog will get in FA he doesn't make a whole lot of sense for the Flames as a target.

LHS LW that doesn't generate scoring chances as well without Mackinnon and Rantanen.

Ah he’s also a Ctr, and a leader and could allow us to trade a LW we currently have under contract for an asset we need/could use say a RS RW or Ctr or A LD or whatever…

Why is Johnny not thrown out as a C option?  I have my doubts that he wants to resign but the Flames did believe in him and put him on the map.  If he would resign for 3-5 why does he not make a good C?  He has high compete and he strikes me as a pretty level headed individual.  I also think Elias is another good option for many reasons?  

1 hour ago, 89Again said:

Why is Johnny not thrown out as a C option?  I have my doubts that he wants to resign but the Flames did believe in him and put him on the map.  If he would resign for 3-5 why does he not make a good C?  He has high compete and he strikes me as a pretty level headed individual.  I also think Elias is another good option for many reasons?  

My only issue with Gaudreau being C is how he is (or isn't) in the playoffs.  

But then that may not matter for a while...

3 hours ago, 89Again said:

He's not the most diplomatic player out there.

You want a bit of respect from the refs.

Lucic would get it, but he can be a hothead.

Tkachuk I don’t think falls in the diplomatic sphere does he?  I also think he’s a bit young.
Backlund does but he’s hot and cold and not sure he’s the sharpest knife in the drawer, I wouldn’t want that in a Captain.  I could be wrong on the intelligence meter.

You really have to understand the players and the room to make a C choice just intrigued why johnny is never mentioned.

5 hours ago, 89Again said:

My least fave part of his game is that he can’t contain his frustration. That’s why I vote no, and the only reason. The constant pissing and moaning, refs just tune that out.