UFA 2021

robrob74

7 hours ago, The_People1 said:

Should we sign Nick Ritchie and unite the Ritchie brothers?  And for how much?

I've got no problem with Nick.

He's more of a middle 6 guy.

Anything 2 or less over 2 years.

I suspect he will get more.

Where does he fit?

3rd liine, maybe opposite Dube or Pitlick.

Ricthie-Backlund-Dube

Not sure about his defensive game, but we need some scoring for the 3rd line.

Lucic can troll the 4th line.

11 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

I've got no problem with Nick.

He's more of a middle 6 guy.

Anything 2 or less over 2 years.

I suspect he will get more.

Where does he fit?

3rd liine, maybe opposite Dube or Pitlick.

Ricthie-Backlund-Dube

Not sure about his defensive game, but we need some scoring for the 3rd line.

Lucic can troll the 4th line.

ive been wondering , if there's any fire to the smoke that Pittsburgh inquired about Lucic,  a few weeks ago id be very reluctant to lose him.. but now with Lewis, Zadorov, etc if we could flip him for a Zucker or something similar if its not something we'd consider . I still see him as a leader and captain material, and come playoffs he's a beast.. but i wonder now if his role is spread out enough that he doesnt need to be that guy .. but i credit Dube's and Mang's evolution to him for sure 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, phoenix66 said:

ive been wondering , if there's any fire to the smoke that Pittsburgh inquired about Lucic,  a few weeks ago id be very reluctant to lose him.. but now with Lewis, Zadorov, etc if we could flip him for a Zucker or something similar if its not something we'd consider . I still see him as a leader and captain material, and come playoffs he's a beast.. but i wonder now if his role is spread out enough that he doesnt need to be that guy .. but i credit Dube's and Mang's evolution to him for sure 

Well, I credit Mangiapane accenting to the player's work ethic and his own willingness to go to the net.

As much as Lucic's role is being watered down with his lack of footspeed, I would hate to lose him.

Especially for a player that seemed to take a downturn.

Where does Zucker even fit now?

Mangiapane is top 6 now, or should be.

Coleman is top 6.

The interesting thing is the west has one less tough guy now.

Reaves is gone from Vegas.

Playing NY and Washington should make Burkie cringe now.

Tinordi, Reaves and Wilson.

8 hours ago, The_People1 said:

Should we sign Nick Ritchie and unite the Ritchie brothers?  And for how much?

I'd have some interest in Ritchie but it would need to be 2.5mill or less as he's a bottom 6 guy only and honestly not a huge pressing need for this club. The problem more is where do you fit him?

Gaudreau - Lindholm - Tkachuk

Mang - Monahan - Coleman

Lucic - Backlund - Dube

?? - Lewis - Pitlick

I like the player, but unless Lucic goes to the 4th line I don't see it being worth pursuing. 

1 minute ago, conundrumed said:

Ouch, Detroit trades a 22 6th rd pick to TB for Mitchell Stephens. RHC, coulda been our 4th line C. Cheap and a good prospect with some NHL time.

Stevie Y working his magic.

Agreed, felt the same way. I've always like Stephens as a player so I would have made that deal.

That being said, they could be ready to give Gawdin the job and while I don't love Gawdin I would understand that decision but would still prefer Stephens. 

8 minutes ago, cross16 said:

Agreed, felt the same way. I've always like Stephens as a player so I would have made that deal.

That being said, they could be ready to give Gawdin the job and while I don't love Gawdin I would understand that decision but would still prefer Stephens. 

Glad it's Detroit, but that would have been a great one by BT. Stevie's pick with TBay, you almost come to expect these kind of shenanigans from him.

I liked Stephens dating back to watching the Marlboros.

54 minutes ago, cross16 said:

I'd have some interest in Ritchie but it would need to be 2.5mill or less as he's a bottom 6 guy only and honestly not a huge pressing need for this club. The problem more is where do you fit him?

Gaudreau - Lindholm - Tkachuk

Mang - Monahan - Coleman

Lucic - Backlund - Dube

?? - Lewis - Pitlick

I like the player, but unless Lucic goes to the 4th line I don't see it being worth pursuing. 

Is Ritchie-Backlund-Dube a line that could work?

Nothing against Lucic, but does it make sense to use him as a shutdown line LW?

And to play him with a highly touted prospect?

Bennett failed in that spot.

Sure, Dube is better suited for RW than Bennett, but doesn't change the facts.

Saying that, if there is a trade in the works with PITTS, then that player coming back might replace Lucic on the 3rd line anyway.

With Reaves in the East, I wonder if teams start freaking out.

NY seems to have reacted poorly to the specter of Wilson's dirty play.

1 hour ago, travel_dude said:

Is Ritchie-Backlund-Dube a line that could work?

Nothing against Lucic, but does it make sense to use him as a shutdown line LW?

And to play him with a highly touted prospect?

Bennett failed in that spot.

Sure, Dube is better suited for RW than Bennett, but doesn't change the facts.

Saying that, if there is a trade in the works with PITTS, then that player coming back might replace Lucic on the 3rd line anyway.

With Reaves in the East, I wonder if teams start freaking out.

NY seems to have reacted poorly to the specter of Wilson's dirty play.

I'm fine with Lucic on that line, he's very good in his own zone and he and Dube get along well. Have had success. 

While it would be great to use Lucic on the 4th line I think we need to be honest and say that just isn't going to happen. 

I'm highly skeptical that Lucic will be traded and don't really buy that rumor. 

I wonder if This Flames team is going to be the ducks of a few yrs back or LA  big and mean with skill with the addition of Cole and Zad Patlik and Looooch we have ourselves a pretty scary team in alot of ways plus we have a couple of kids who could be mean as well

1 hour ago, zima said:

I wonder if This Flames team is going to be the ducks of a few yrs back or LA  big and mean with skill with the addition of Cole and Zad Patlik and Looooch we have ourselves a pretty scary team in alot of ways plus we have a couple of kids who could be mean as well

I want the kids to focus on offense.

Leave the dirty stuff to the guys that have history with it.

I don't think our top 6 is big and mean, so I don't compare us to the Ducks from years ago.

Coleman and Pitlick are smart players.

Lucic is the nuclear threat.

Zarodov will hammer forwards into the boards.

Ras has about one good hit per game.

Tanev is solid, but depend more on his ability to block shots.

4 hours ago, redfire11 said:

I thought Pitts would have jumped on the Reaves deal. Hopefully that leaves them trading for Lucic

If anyone wants Lucic then we have to offload him.  Brett Ritchie is 90% the fighter at 17% the cap hit.  If we ever need the toughness then we've got it covered.

We can then use $2-mil to sign Nick Ritchie to replace Lucic's offense and style.  It's an all around win, needless to say.

6 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

Friedman is suggesting we have interest in Ryan Murray.

Good offensive numbers in NJ and CBJ, but he is coming off $4.6m AAV 2 year deal.

27 years old, LHS LD.

Are we in the middle of trading Valimaki for Eichel?

Could be possible as I think he'd likely be a piece the Sabres want but I don't think that's a direct link. I think the issue is more they lost their number 1 dman from last season (based on ice time) and so far have not really come close to replacing him. 

Based on some analysts and quotes from Treliving I think the Flames see the blueline as needing some help. 

1 minute ago, cross16 said:

Could be possible as I think he'd likely be a piece the Sabres want but I don't think that's a direct link. I think the issue is more they lost their number 1 dman from last season (based on ice time) and so far have not really come close to replacing him. 

Based on some analysts and quotes from Treliving I think the Flames see the blueline as needing some help. 

Murray fits a top 4 role better than Zadorov, plus Zadorov can play the right side, so can Valimaki for that matter.

Just now, cross16 said:

Could be possible as I think he'd likely be a piece the Sabres want I don't think that's a direct link. I think the issue is more they lost their number 1 dman from last season (based on ice time) and so far have not really come close to replacing him. 

No doubt.  I know we are still missing  top 4 LD, but is LD the bigger need?

Hanifin is fine for a top 4.

Zadorov is okay, and maybe better suited for slightly less minutes than a top 4.

But we have just Tanev and Ras on RD.

Adding Murray would force Valimaki to RD.

Maybe that's a good thing.

17 minutes ago, JTech780 said:

Murray fits a top 4 role better than Zadorov, plus Zadorov can play the right side, so can Valimaki for that matter.

Ya IMO Zadorov is not a top 4 dman so I don't have a problem with them looking at the spot.  I would just run Valimaki myself but that's not what they are going to do so I understand why they are looking at the blueline.

I'm not a huge fan of Murray unless you get an affordable deal. Big injury risk. 

Flames D is going to be really starved for offence, which I think is a bigger problem than they think. Guess we'll see. 

Listened to the Friedman piece.

He had said that a few days ago, CGY had inquired about Murray.

No more recent info on it.

Health is a concern with the player.

Health risks are a concern, but it's a signing with just money involved.

He plays, we pay.

He's injured, he goes on LTIR.

1 minute ago, cross16 said:

Ya IMO Zadorov is not a top 4 dman so I don't have a problem with them looking at the spot.  I would just run Valimaki myself but that's not what they are going to do so I understand why they are looking at the blueline.

I'm not a huge fan of Murray unless you get an affordable deal. Big injury risk. 

Valimaki seemed to struggle a bit under Sutter, so I wouldn't be surprised to see them acquire more help on defense. 

I would rather Murray over guys like Gudbransson or Stone, that seem to line up with Sutter's defense style.