2021 Offseason Thread

Thebrewcrew

1 minute ago, 89Again said:

Hated when we played Zadorov, I like that we got him.  We need this size and toughness and a third rounder is fine in my books also good for some of the younger Russians we have.  Good step forward for BT.  

The cap hit will define this.  He's a competent defender at 5v5.  I hated playing us against him, as will a lot of players.  Hyman will enjoy playing against him.    

5 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

Kylington can play RD, but I would look for an upgrade.

Mackey is exempt, so he can stay in the AHL to get better.

I thought Mackey played on the right side at least for a few games when he got called up.  Although a very small sample size he made the most of his time when called up so having him in the 6/7 position could work.

Unless one of the recent draftees has a monster camp.

9 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

EDM supposedly trading Bear for Warren Foegele.

What a shame.

That's actually a solid deal for the Oilers. Gives them a legit forward for their bottom 6.

Of course having to trade Bear because they want to play the likes of Keith, Barrie, and Ceci in their top 4 is a VERY questionable decision. 

18 minutes ago, cross16 said:

That's actually a solid deal for the Oilers. Gives them a legit forward for their bottom 6.

Of course having to trade Bear because they want to play the likes of Keith, Barrie, and Ceci in their top 4 is a VERY questionable decision. 

The latter is where I feel it was bad.

Barrie was cheaper than a lot, but gives them no defense.

Keith is mostly washed up.

Ceci, I feel, is one of the worst D available.

On the plus side, they now have one bottom 6 forward.

Pretty solid day for the Flames.

I'm not a massive Zadorov fan, but I get why the Flames did it. The D market was crazy today. Zadorov doesn't come with a long term commitment necessarily like a Ceci or Forbort.  Flames can do 1yr if they really want with Zadorov. 

The Coleman signing surprised me, because I just didn't see him choosing Calgary. I posted last night that I thought the Backlund deal, 5.3x6 might entice him. The Flames got him for less which is a nice surprise. This is a very good player and I think Flames fans will really enjoy watching him play. Not a ton if mileage either, 301 games. 

Lewis made a ton of sense for Calgary. Cheap, bottom 6 guy, versatile and can kill penalties. Clearly someone Sutter trusts. 

I didn't necessarily love surrendering a pick for a backup, but I get it. The backup market exploded today and to be honest, it may have been a tough sell getting a veteran to Calgary, knowing how much they will play Markstrom. Vladar has a ton of upside and is likely better at this point than a Dubnyk or Dell, names still on the market. 

Can't remember who, it may have been Friedman, but I've heard it suggested that the Gaudreau camp wanted to see what Landeskog ended up getting on the market. This may help the Flames, Landeskog taking 7x8. I'm not suggesting that Gaudreau will sign for that, but it certainly plays into the Flames favour. If Landeskog would have gotten 9, then I'm not sure there would be a Gaudreau extension that makes sense. 

A Gaudreau extension probably hasn't been on the front burner for BT. Been a busy few weeks with expansion, draft weekend and now UFA. Be interested to see if they can work anything out between now and camp.

1 hour ago, Thebrewcrew said:

Can't remember who, it may have been Friedman, but I've heard it suggested that the Gaudreau camp wanted to see what Landeskog ended up getting on the market. This may help the Flames, Landeskog taking 7x8. I'm not suggesting that Gaudreau will sign for that, but it certainly plays into the Flames favour. If Landeskog would have gotten 9, then I'm not sure there would be a Gaudreau extension that makes sense. 

A Gaudreau extension probably hasn't been on the front burner for BT. Been a busy few weeks with expansion, draft weekend and now UFA. Be interested to see if they can work anything out between now and camp.

The downside is Point, who just did $9.5m.

Not the same player, but Kucherov on your line does help.

41 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

Different positions and achievements.  If Gaudreau is asking for Point money he may have troubles getting that even on the open market.

12 minutes ago, sak22 said:

Different positions and achievements.  If Gaudreau is asking for Point money he may have troubles getting that even on the open market.

Apart from position and playoff success, Gaudreau has more points per game (0.95) played than Point (0.88).

I don't think he should get Point money, but I think he's closer to that than Landeskog money.

8 hours ago, travel_dude said:

I actually wouldn’t be surprised if he’s asking 9.5. Sure he “loves being in Calgary”, but does he love it at 7.5 or 9.5?

Stone and Kucherov got 9.5 as well, I’m not sure he’d even get that from the Flyers, but he may try 

7 hours ago, travel_dude said:

Apart from position and playoff success, Gaudreau has more points per game (0.95) played than Point (0.88).

I don't think he should get Point money, but I think he's closer to that than Landeskog money.

This is true, but who would you rather Landeskog or Gaudreau…Landeskog seems to be a more complete player Gaudreau is pretty one dimensional scorer/passer type.

In any event I’d be fine with paying Gaudreau a Landeskog type contract, heck even at 6 years term would be a good deal especially the last two years where the cap could possible up and he’s only be 33/34 at the end of the term he should still be tradable at that age range If guys like Palmari (sp?) are still in demand, gaudreau should be too around then.

though I will say if they intend on a NTC/NMC it should be front loaded not back loaded like his current contract 

I agree this should be a short term deal, and honestly I wouldn't mind if the Flames just have him a 1 year deal slightly above his qualifying offer. I know that walks him to UFA but Zadarov is not that great of a dman and even at 3.2-3.5 he feels overrated to me. It's not the end of the world to have him for a year or 2 at that number but if it takes more than that than I don't think he is worth it. 

1 hour ago, cross16 said:

I agree this should be a short term deal, and honestly I wouldn't mind if the Flames just have him a 1 year deal slightly above his qualifying offer. I know that walks him to UFA but Zadarov is not that great of a dman and even at 3.2-3.5 he feels overrated to me. It's not the end of the world to have him for a year or 2 at that number but if it takes more than that than I don't think he is worth it. 

I would counter that with Hamonic was overrated.

Hamonic was a all heart guy who would hit an fight.

Expecting Tanev to be the heavy is just inviting trouble.

We are rather lightweight on D otherwise.

Sure, we have Lucic and Ritchie, but hopefully they have a bit reduced role.

He was less effective on a bad team.

One year deal is fine if we intend on trading him at TDL or just letting him walk.

Seems to me you don't invest a 3rd for that, unless it's TDL and he's a missing piece.

Maybe he doesn't work out, but front load a 2 year deal, and he's easier to trade to a cash strapped team.

7 hours ago, Thebrewcrew said:

What does the Zadorov deal end up looking like?

Obviously, he filed for arb. He's 1yr away from UFA. 

Depending on term, I think it's anywhere between 3.5-4. Zadorov may be looking more long-term, this being his 4th team. I'd look for a 2yr deal, ideally at 3.5. 

Yes 2-year sounds about right.  He's a 4/5/6 Dman so you don't want him to cost too much to play 3rd pair if Valimaki emerges as a top 4.  2-year reduces a lot of risk for us and is about as long as Sutter and BT are here.

On 5/20/2021 at 12:59 AM, The_People1 said:

1. First order of business, offer Gaudreau an 8-year extension at around $8-mil-per as soon as UFA season begins.  I know some may think he's not worth it but that's the going rate.  We buying all of his UFA years so, there's a premium to pay.  He's still a 65-to-85-point player.

2a.  If he signs an extension, then we keep building to win right away.  This should dispel all rumours that Gaudreau doesn't want to be here in Calgary and the team can move forward with Gaudreau in their long term plans.

2b.  If he doesn't sign, then trade him immediately.  We can't afford to lose him to UFA next summer for nothing.

(not sure if legal but...)

2c.  If he doesn't sign, then ask him if he'd like to go to PHI or NJ... and give PHI and/or NJ permission to negotiate a contract extension with Gaudreau.  It will be a sign and trade deal.  PHI/NJ will get Gaudreau for up to 9-years.  This lets the Flames get a better player in return than to trade Gaudreau with one-year remaining.

If Gaudreau signs,

3a. Promote Mangiapane/Dube to top 6 full time... trade Tkachuk+Zary+1st for Eichel.  I think this offer gets it done and with Eichel, I expect the Flames to be a playoff team so our 1st won't be a lotto pick.  Eichel is RHS C so we could either move Lindholm to RW or push him down to 2nd line Center and trade Monahan or Backlund... 

I would go from there.

I want to repeat that starting the season without a Gaudreau extension or trade would be the worst mistake BT could make.  Don't even think about moving him at TDL because we all know where this team will be at TDL.  3-points away from a playoff spot with 1-game in hand.  That's how it is shaping up to be.  We can't trade him being that close to the playoffs so they sell the fans the "keeping Gaudreau is our TDL acquisition"... nonsense GM speak.  Gaudreau walks for nothing next summer.

Or, he has an amazing season (especially with Eichel) and we're looking at a Panarin-level contract to keep him.  Brutal either way.

1 hour ago, The_People1 said:

I want to repeat that starting the season without a Gaudreau extension or trade would be the worst mistake BT could make.  Don't even think about moving him at TDL because we all know where this team will be at TDL.  3-points away from a playoff spot with 1-game in hand.  That's how it is shaping up to be.  We can't trade him being that close to the playoffs so they sell the fans the "keeping Gaudreau is our TDL acquisition"... nonsense GM speak.  Gaudreau walks for nothing next summer.

Or, he has an amazing season (especially with Eichel) and we're looking at a Panarin-level contract to keep him.  Brutal either way.

For what it’s worth, Pat Steinberg seems fairly confident that Gaudreau will be extending in Calgary 

He’s also mentioned it on the radio in the past week as well. 

17 minutes ago, Thebrewcrew said:

For what it’s worth, Pat Steinberg seems fairly confident that Gaudreau will be extending in Calgary 

He’s also mentioned it on the radio in the past week as well. 

Thanks.  I hope this happens soon.

And hopefully, we extend Gaudreau BEFORE getting Eichel because a Gaudreau-Eichel combo could mean 90-point seasons for both players.  Right now we could use Landeskog's contract as a comparable to keep Gaudreau below $7.5-mil x 6-to-8-years

1 hour ago, The_People1 said:

Thanks.  I hope this happens soon.

And hopefully, we extend Gaudreau BEFORE getting Eichel because a Gaudreau-Eichel combo could mean 90-point seasons for both players.  Right now we could use Landeskog's contract as a comparable to keep Gaudreau below $7.5-mil x 6-to-8-years

Smart GM's keep re-signings quiet so other GM don't know their cap.

If we can scrape a mill off Eichel (or some other player's cap hit) in trafe, we have more to use elsewhere.

3 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

Smart GM's keep re-signings quiet so other GM don't know their cap.

If we can scrape a mill off Eichel (or some other player's cap hit) in trafe, we have more to use elsewhere.

As long as talks are reportedly going well then that's a positive sign.  If there's any sign Gaudreau does not want to negotiate a new deal until this season is over, then we have to trade him before the season begins.

14 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

As long as talks are reportedly going well then that's a positive sign.  If there's any sign Gaudreau does not want to negotiate a new deal until this season is over, then we have to trade him before the season begins.

THe GM is not that dumb.

He probably even has a offers in the wings, should it go south.

You know he would have had that discussion with teams calling about him.