2021 Calgary Flames NHL Draft

Thebrewcrew

4 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

That over-simplifies it.  And it's probably not even close to being true.

Occam's Razor, and it is 1000% true, we've learned nothing from Jankowski.

In fact I could simplify it further than Nepotism.  

Laziness.

p..s...I Will support both Coronato and Stromgren going forward, both are worthy of following.   But we need changes high up.  Preferably before these next two massive draft years coming our way.

2 minutes ago, phoenix66 said:

actually , they said his strides make him appear hes not skating , but that his strides take less effort

before that they said he needed work on skating and teams have skating coaches to fix those issues.

the Reid said that he thought he just looked slow because he’s big and doesn’t have to try like a guy who is short at 5’9”

I don't know perhaps Fox like I said Im a glass half empty not full sorry I hate picking NCAA players they are an unkown they could just decide to go else were I just wish they would have stayed away from college pl;ayers. By the way it is my right to have an opinion that you might not agree with and I could be right at the end and I could be wrong I sure hope I am but just don't see it

2 minutes ago, phoenix66 said:

if some more keep falling i can see a package of 23rds to get into the lower 2nd .. a-la Kyllington

Unless one of our faves is dropping and we expect him to get scooped, moving up is not likely.

Not for two 3rd's that is.

That's a lot of draft capital.

Just now, travel_dude said:

I did say 1st rounders.  Fox was what?  A 3rd.

I get the fear though. Johnny almost didn’t sign, or there was a fear. 

fox stung… 

Doesn’t matter what round, if there’s the option, it’s scary for some. I am not as worried until approaching the 3rd college year.

Just now, zima said:

I don't get what round it happens to be a waisted pick is a waisted pick 1st 3rd or 7th 

Most picks done pan out, can we keep the college fear mongering out of the discussions

1 minute ago, robrob74 said:

fox stung… 

Doesn’t matter what round, if there’s the option, it’s scary for some. I am not as worried until approaching the 3rd college year.

He almost returned for a senior year because it was important to his family.  This fanbase IMO went to bad places out of fear, a lot of terrible things said about a college kids mother online, pretty brutal at that point I wouldn't of blamed him for not signing.  But what do you know a few weeks ago Friedman said on the fan that Gaudreau has always been very upset at the reports he doesn't want to be here.

Just now, robrob74 said:

fox stung… 

The round does matter.

The point is that a 1st rounder almost never waits 4 years to be a free agent.

Most want to be playing in 2 years at the latest.

The other point is a 1st rounder not signed results in compensation.

The only fear about Gaudreau was that we would have to wait another year.

Good grief. The negativity around here is getting out of hand especially considering it's not even based on fact. 

Hakan Loob is the Flames European PRO SCOUT. his role is to scout potential European free agents, he is not part of their amateur team. Bobbie Hagelin is their guy in Sweden on the amateur side and has been since 2013. 

I also hate how just because he's going to Harvard the Flames are now at risk of losing Coronato. He said flat out yesterday he wants to play in the NHL and he wants to play for the Flames. Why even bother worrying about something that is so unlikely to  happen?

also as a reminder the rule for opting for UFA is the same for players in major junior as it is for college players. It's 4 years post draft for both. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, travel_dude said:

The round does matter.

The point is that a 1st rounder almost never waits 4 years to be a free agent.

Most want to be playing in 2 years at the latest.

The other point is a 1st rounder not signed results in compensation.

The only fear about Gaudreau was that we would have to wait another year.

Agreed.  Position matters too.   A RW wants to be playing in two years.   A D, more like 3-4.   So a late-round D is the most dangerous.  A goalie would be too.

8 minutes ago, robrob74 said:

fox stung… 

Bottom line ..the rule needs to change ..until it does you'll keep getting players using it 

I bet in hindsight Eichel wishes he had 

Just now, jjgallow said:

Agreed.  Position matters too.   A RW wants to be playing in two years.   A D, more like 3-4.   So a late-round D is the most dangerous.  A goalie would be too.

If he was able to, he would sign and play this season.

Who wants to go to Harvard this year?