2021 Calgary Flames NHL Draft

Thebrewcrew

5 minutes ago, MP5029 said:

If they would

take that offer I should hope they would

make that deal 

It's a crazy offer and they would be crazy to accept.

The positives for them is that Backlund replaces two C's they lose this year and that Gio is the mentor for their young D.

They lose out on Power, but get back $12m in salary.

They have a lot of yutes, not a lot of vets.

13 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

Should we do something like,

To NJ,

Gaudreau 

12th overall

To CGY,

Mercer

4th overall

How I rate that trade is a 12th overall this year for a former 18th overall and Gaudreau for a 4th overall.

I'm not sure I see that being much of an upgrade for the Flames.

Then again, I probably have a lower opinion of a player on his draft +1 season.

Here's an interesting stat from this season:

Mercer - 1.5625 P/GP

Francis - 1.5652 P/GP

Francis actually maintained it for a longer stretch.  I'm assuming Mercer missed some games?

Posted a mock a few days ago, I've since updated it with the lotto having concluded. 

1. BUF- Owen Power

2. SEA- William Eklund

3. ANA- Matthew Beniers

4. NJ- Luke Hughes

5. CBJ- Mason McTavish

6. DET- Jesper Wallstedt

7. SJ- Brandt Clarke

8. LA- Simon Edvinsson 

9. VAN- Kent Johnson

10. OTT- Dylan Guenther

11. CHI- Cole Sillinger

What would you be doing at pick 12?

1 hour ago, Thebrewcrew said:

Posted a mock a few days ago, I've since updated it with the lotto having concluded. 

1. BUF- Owen Power

2. SEA- William Eklund

3. ANA- Matthew Beniers

4. NJ- Luke Hughes

5. CBJ- Mason McTavish

6. DET- Jesper Wallstedt

7. SJ- Brandt Clarke

8. LA- Simon Edvinsson 

9. VAN- Kent Johnson

10. OTT- Dylan Guenther

11. CHI- Cole Sillinger

Lucius it is then.

Between Lucius, McTavish, and Sillinger, it will be decided for us.

1 hour ago, travel_dude said:

How I rate that trade is a 12th overall this year for a former 18th overall and Gaudreau for a 4th overall.

I'm not sure I see that being much of an upgrade for the Flames.

Then again, I probably have a lower opinion of a player on his draft +1 season.

Here's an interesting stat from this season:

Mercer - 1.5625 P/GP

Francis - 1.5652 P/GP

Francis actually maintained it for a longer stretch.  I'm assuming Mercer missed some games?

It doesn't upgrade the Flames today but it upgrades the Flames for 2024/25.

2 hours ago, The_People1 said:

Should we do something like,

To NJ,

Gaudreau 

12th overall

To CGY,

Mercer

4th overall

I like a lot of this.  But I would be going for different pieces than Mercer.

I'd swing.     Go for Dahlin with Buffalo.   Their first overall too.

We'd have to offer more than Gaudreau.  We'd be sending half our team over.     I would ship them though.

Both Dahlin and their first overall are under-rated right now and Buffalo's got to be getting a little desperate.    In one move you've secured your defence for the next 15 years.  But at the same time you're now at the front of the line for Bedard and Wright.

Or, a more moderate version of your trade structure....go for Drysdale + 1st pick with Anaheim

36 minutes ago, jjgallow said:

I like a lot of this.  But I would be going for different pieces than Mercer.

I'd swing.     Go for Dahlin with Buffalo.   Their first overall too.

We'd have to offer more than Gaudreau.  We'd be sending half our team over.     I would ship them though.

Both Dahlin and their first overall are under-rated right now and Buffalo's got to be getting a little desperate.    In one move you've secured your defence for the next 15 years.  But at the same time you're now at the front of the line for Bedard and Wright.

Or, a more moderate version of your trade structure....go for Drysdale + 1st pick with Anaheim

Dahlin is probably untouchable.  Eichel and Reinhart are only available because they want out.  I haven't heard anything bad from Dahlin.  He seems okay there.

25 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

And NJ probably keeps their pick to unite two of the Hughes brothers... So depends if someone ahead of NJ takes Hughes first.

OTT probably wants to be a playoff team next season so maybe they would move their pick.  Monahan? 

Well Ottawa will want to unite the Tkachuk brothers ha.   But yes I'd pull the trigger with them.

The problem is Ottawa does not have much in the way of defence so I don't know what to say there.  Thomas Chabot, Gustavsson, are two players of interest.

And this is where you say they're never giving either of those two up.

That's why trades are a pain.  It's easy to pull off a bad trade and almost every good trade out there is unlikely.    We could gamble and take their 2022, 2023 picks.  I'd be okay with that, I'm sure most wouldn't.

11 hours ago, Thebrewcrew said:

1. BUF- Owen Power

2. SEA- William Eklund

3. ANA- Matthew Beniers

4. NJ- Luke Hughes

5. CBJ- Mason McTavish

6. DET- Jesper Wallstedt

7. SJ- Brandt Clarke

8. LA- Simon Edvinsson 

9. VAN- Kent Johnson

10. OTT- Dylan Guenther

11. CHI- Cole Sillinger

From what I've read if Edvinsson dropped to us that would be great.

but I would happily take Cole Sillinger with his pedigree and performance as a 16 year old in the WHL I think he will be a solid pick.

To JJ's disgust I am not taking a goalie in the first round even if Wallstedt is there for us!

Not keen on McTavish - something about that surname I just cannot get behind.

8 hours ago, rocketdoctor said:

From what I've read if Edvinsson dropped to us that would be great.

but I would happily take Cole Sillinger with his pedigree and performance as a 16 year old in the WHL I think he will be a solid pick.

To JJ's disgust I am not taking a goalie in the first round even if Wallstedt is there for us!

Not keen on McTavish - something about that surname I just cannot get behind.

I thought I was the only one! 😂

• Like 1

I've looked at a few mock drafts.

The most commone:

Sillinger - LHS C

Lambos - LHS D

Coronato - RHS LW

Others of note:

Lysell - RHS LW

Wellstadt - G (JJ would love this one, even the name suits him:  http://www.tankathon.com/nhl/mock_draft)

High praise for Lambos, though I'm not really sure about it.  Again these are somewhat based on BPA ratings they have, bit the way teams view the players.

Carson Lambos will be an interesting player to track on draft day.

He was a high pick in the WHL and has always been a highly regarded player. He was really solid for WPG in his 1st WHL season last year. This year he played in Finland and some feel that it hurt his draft stock, then in the Dub bubble he suffered an early injury. 

Some feel this is a very physically mature kid that may have peaked early. I'd be a little careful about that though, they said the same about Jakob Chychrun in 2016 and he's turned into a heck of a player.

He's worth a look if he's there at 12th. 

On 6/4/2021 at 1:53 PM, travel_dude said:

I've looked at a few mock drafts.

The most commone:

Sillinger - LHS C

Lambos - LHS D

Coronato - RHS LW

Others of note:

Lysell - RHS LW

Wellstadt - G (JJ would love this one, even the name suits him:  http://www.tankathon.com/nhl/mock_draft)

High praise for Lambos, though I'm not really sure about it.  Again these are somewhat based on BPA ratings they have, bit the way teams view the players.

I'd be super happy with Wallstedt at 12.

So where do you PPL see Wolf is he a NHL Goalie or AHL life time player? Does any one believe he can make a difference in the NHL is he going to be as good in the pro's as he is in the Juniors? I personally really hope he becomes a Fur type player very athletic with a lot of luck plus do we really want to use our 12th pick for another goalie. We really do need to find a Dimond in the ruff at forward or D but I also know that a great goalie can make up for lack of scoring but doing that puts alot of pressure on a goalie if we have to play him 70 games or more in the regular season just to make to post games and will he be able to play another 30 games or so to pull out a cup. We watched Kipper do it with a rag tag group of players although Iggy and group did play a great game IMO every series was something to watch. I just hope I get to see it one more time unless I win the lotory I will have nothing else to look forward to LOL.

8 minutes ago, zima said:

So where do you PPL see Wolf is he a NHL Goalie or AHL life time player? Does any one believe he can make a difference in the NHL is he going to be as good in the pro's as he is in the Juniors? I personally really hope he becomes a Fur type player very athletic with a lot of luck plus do we really want to use our 12th pick for another goalie. We really do need to find a Dimond in the ruff at forward or D but I also know that a great goalie can make up for lack of scoring but doing that puts alot of pressure on a goalie if we have to play him 70 games or more in the regular season just to make to post games and will he be able to play another 30 games or so to pull out a cup. We watched Kipper do it with a rag tag group of players although Iggy and group did play a great game IMO every series was something to watch. I just hope I get to see it one more time unless I win the lotory I will have nothing else to look forward to LOL.

I think he has a decent chance. It really depends on whether he can stay healthy (I think). We have had some bad luck with some goalies, and then also some bad picks. Gillies ended up with a hip problem, and then did not seem to work on his game after that. Parsons was riddled with injuries and his mental health held him back a bit too. I don't know how much development is on the team that plays into their progress. I'd venture to say that Calgary does not do a great job of development. I also wonder how much development is the will of the player. I am sure the organization will say, the player does not have the will, there is only so much they can do. Wolf has had some really good numbers. One thing I hope the Flames do is invest in players that know how to protect their goalies. They have been better the last year or so, but other teams running the goalie has been a problem over the years.

5 minutes ago, robrob74 said:

I think he has a decent chance. It really depends on whether he can stay healthy (I think). We have had some bad luck with some goalies, and then also some bad picks. Gillies ended up with a hip problem, and then did not seem to work on his game after that. Parsons was riddled with injuries and his mental health held him back a bit too. I don't know how much development is on the team that plays into their progress. I'd venture to say that Calgary does not do a great job of development. I also wonder how much development is the will of the player. I am sure the organization will say, the player does not have the will, there is only so much they can do. Wolf has had some really good numbers. One thing I hope the Flames do is invest in players that know how to protect their goalies. They have been better the last year or so, but other teams running the goalie has been a problem over the years.

See thats a good point that's why I don't understand why everyone is so into getting rid of Looch he might not be a productive as he use to be but he keeps other players aware that there's a sheriff in town. I believe that has stopped a lot of goalie interference and stopping the enemy from hacking the crap out of JH and mony. I also believe that the goalie coaches we have seem to destroy the abilies of the kids trying to change the way they play instead of just letting do there thing.

28 minutes ago, zima said:

See thats a good point that's why I don't understand why everyone is so into getting rid of Looch he might not be a productive as he use to be but he keeps other players aware that there's a sheriff in town. I believe that has stopped a lot of goalie interference and stopping the enemy from hacking the crap out of JH and mony. I also believe that the goalie coaches we have seem to destroy the abilies of the kids trying to change the way they play instead of just letting do there thing.

100% but his cap hit.  You can get the same protection for $800k re-signing Ritchie.  Ritchie has actually played on a line with Gaudreau whereas Lucic is never on the ice with Gaudreau together.

52 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

100% but his cap hit.  You can get the same protection for $800k re-signing Ritchie.  Ritchie has actually played on a line with Gaudreau whereas Lucic is never on the ice with Gaudreau together.

Because he did doesn't mean he should've been.  Both players had a total of zero points playing together despite playing over 130 minutes together.  Not saying Lucic would've done drastically better, but he would've been better.  Ritchie on that line was a disaster.

1 hour ago, robrob74 said:

Oleksiak and Zadorov will be looking for a new contract right away, but any good physical defenseman is going to be in Winnipegs sights also this offseason.

51 minutes ago, sak22 said:

Because he did doesn't mean he should've been.  Both players had a total of zero points playing together despite playing over 130 minutes together.  Not saying Lucic would've done drastically better, but he would've been better.  Ritchie on that line was a disaster.

I'd rather have a bigger body on D but if Looch goes to Seattle then for sure re-sign Ritchie @ $800k. He may not be a true heavywieght but you dont need that anymore, plus hes not a total liability on the ice.  Theres alot worse options.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, sak22 said:

He protected Johnny though.

13 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

He protected Johnny though.

I seem to recall a game where Johnny was pasted into the boards and effectively was silenced for the rest of it.

Lucic was the one that laid the player out later, and got a boarding penalty.

That was a costly penalty IIRC.

I don't really remember JH feeling that safe either way.

Player X was not beat to snot.