Calgary Flames 20/21 Roster and Lines

JTech780

A few things:

- I’d like Ward to be consistent with the current line formation, and give them some time together to develop some chemistry. 
- That said, if the Lindholm line continues on the same trajectory, my immediate swap is Mangiapane and Dube. Mange’s play driving metrics is the shot in the arm that line could use. Mange already has shown chemistry with Chucky. Dube seemingly took his shackles off in the playoffs last year and grew in confidence 10-fold playing with Looch, with Backlund being the difference at Center. 
- Benny is still finding his way on the top line, but he gives JH an option for a pass. How many times have we seen JH in the offensive zone alone, do a button hook, and a risky play/pass follows at the offensive blue line? Benny can skate, and will drive to the net, while Mony continues to develop his D zone play. I think it’s a matter of time before that line starts clicking. 
- I did like MP’s line formations above if these line configurations need a different look. If Lindy goes back to RW on the top line, they should try Benny at C with Chucky and Mange/Dube, leaving Backlund with Looch/Leivo/Mange/Dube for wingers. 

Now, some coming clean:

- Tanev. I jumped the gun on you and I was wrong. You have not only exceeded my expectations, but you’ve now completely changed my tune about trading away Hanifin as well. I’m also protecting you in the Kraken draft. Bravo! 
- Looch. I remember my initial response to the trade wasn’t in your favour. I’ve since become a big supporter of you on these boards. My initial assessment was wrong, and I’m super happy to have your presence on this team. You keep doing you!

- Backlund. I called you out a few games ago, and caved and joined those who’ve wanted to trade you for some time. I should’ve bit my tongue for a while longer. I’m happy to see you’ve found your game again. Don’t let it slip because we need that kind of play from you!

Go 🔥 go!

• Like 3

15 hours ago, travel_dude said:

47.3 in the O-zone is worrisome.  He struggles against some team but has a better time with others.

I do agree about wasted chances with a FO loss.

Needs to be better or use someone that wins them.

With Benny on that line, maybe he should be taking some faceoffs as well. Mony and Benny should practice faceoffs against each other in practice, with some guidance from our top faceoff player. 

It’s interesting, but the Mony-Johnny-Sammy line doesn’t seem to have much chemistry yet, and the odd man out offensively seems to be Monahan.  Mony was always dynamite on the rush, but he seems MIA. It occurs to me that this is because he is coming back deeper to help defensively, and it seems to be a deliberate decision on his part. Here’s hoping he can develop good instincts on when to fly the zone on the rush while improving his defensive game!

Oh, and praise Zeus that Johnny worked on his breakaways this offseason. No more guaranteed five hole attempts!

1 hour ago, lou44291 said:

A few things:

- I’d like Ward to be consistent with the current line formation, and give them some time together to develop some chemistry. 
- That said, if the Lindholm line continues on the same trajectory, my immediate swap is Mangiapane and Dube. Mange’s play driving metrics is the shot in the arm that line could use. Mange already has shown chemistry with Chucky. Dube seemingly took his shackles off in the playoffs last year and grew in confidence 10-fold playing with Looch, with Backlund being the difference at Center. 
- Benny is still finding his way on the top line, but he gives JH an option for a pass. How many times have we seen JH in the offensive zone alone, do a button hook, and a risky play/pass follows at the offensive blue line? Benny can skate, and will drive to the net, while Mony continues to develop his D zone play. I think it’s a matter of time before that line starts clicking. 
- I did like MP’s line formations above if these line configurations need a different look. If Lindy goes back to RW on the top line, they should try Benny at C with Chucky and Mange/Dube, leaving Backlund with Looch and Leivo. 

Lou, just a few comments about the post.

I'm not in love with the Monahan line right now.  Monahan has been silent, and while he gets the occasional good chance, it's not looking good with the execution.

They got a couple of decent chances last nigh, including the Gaudreau goal, but we need three players going on that line.

RobRob suggested that it may be Bennett gravitating toward the C responsible areas.  I know they get in each other's way at times.

With that in mind, and the fact that Tkachuk has gone radio silent, I think it may be time for a minor change.

Switch Bennett and Dube.

You can always use Bennett to take some draws, providing a RHS RW for him on those shifts.

Or you play him on LW and use Tkachuk on RW.

Maybe allows Tkachuk to use his skills more than just his butt.

Bennett can be the grit and go to the net.

At least until Tkachuk finds himself.

Some suggest that the mini tantrum set the others off.  I don't know that is true, but he has been less effective recently.

When he plays hockey close to the edge he's dominant, but I'm just seeing the gritty side not the other parts.

Dube on Gudreau's line provide a couple of targets for Johnny.  Maybe gets Monahan available in the slot more.

Don't really know.

I know it takes time to build chemistry, but the top 6 lines are doing less than I would hope.

Gaudreau is scoring on alley oops, which is awesome.

Is that the line or the player.  Great to have that scoring, but I would like to see better shifts when being sheltered like that.  

I'm starting to like the Johnny-Mony -Sam line actually and thought they were good. Still have some issues where Bennett tries to do too much and it brings the line down, but I agree with Lou that Bennett's speed and rush ability is allowing them to work more of the ice and transition better. It's not there yet, but seeing some good things and think it warrants keeping it together.

I do think it's time for a switch though and I agree Mang and Dube should switch. I get the hesitation with the Backlund line playing so well but it's been too many games now where that Lindholm line has just been totally ineffective. I don't think it's Dube's fault but I think you need to give that line a shot in the arm and I think Dube will still fit in well with Backs/Lucic. 

16 minutes ago, ABC923 said:

It’s interesting, but the Mony-Johnny-Sammy line doesn’t seem to have much chemistry yet, and the odd man out offensively seems to be Monahan.  Mony was always dynamite on the rush, but he seems MIA. It occurs to me that this is because he is coming back deeper to help defensively, and it seems to be a deliberate decision on his part. Here’s hoping he can develop good instincts on when to fly the zone on the rush while improving his defensive game!

Oh, and praise Zeus that Johnny worked on his breakaways this offseason. No more guaranteed five hole attempts!

He's got a few moves now.

• Top shelf wrister
  • 5 hole (save for shootout)
  • backhand elevated

Monahan benefitted from having a RHS RW, but I'm not seeing as many slot shots where he has his hands free.

He's getting chances, just not the money shots we are used to.

I have my questions about Monahan too but we are picking the wrong day to try and point the fingers at him. 

Great find on the 1st goal, even better pass. 

Finds a hole in the d and splits them for a clear breakaway

Finds Gaudreau on a perfect saucer pass for the breakaway goal. 

That line lead the Flames in expected goal differential, were 56% SCF% and 50% HDCF

They had a good night and I thought Monahan was a big part of it. 

4 minutes ago, cross16 said:

I'm starting to like the Johnny-Mony -Sam line actually and thought they were good. Still have some issues where Bennett tries to do too much and it brings the line down, but I agree with Lou that Bennett's speed and rush ability is allowing them to work more of the ice and transition better. It's not there yet, but seeing some good things and think it warrants keeping it together.

I do think it's time for a switch though and I agree Mang and Dube should switch. I get the hesitation with the Backlund line playing so well but it's been too many games now where that Lindholm line has just been totally ineffective. I don't think it's Dube's fault but I think you need to give that line a shot in the arm and I think Dube will still fit in well with Backs/Lucic. 

I could live with that switch too, but I'm interested to see if Dube actually would improve Monahan and Bennett's game fits a bit better with Tkachuk.

Either or for me.

Something needs to happen with the top line.

1 hour ago, travel_dude said:

I could live with that switch too, but I'm interested to see if Dube actually would improve Monahan and Bennett's game fits a bit better with Tkachuk.

Either or for me.

Something needs to happen with the top line.

Agree Bennett at Ctr with Tachuck and either Manj or Dube on the RW

Lindholm has proven chemistry with Gaudreau and Monahan.

I get the feel of that was done we would see those two lines take off and the 3rd line of Manji or Dube/Backlund/Levino or Simon would also be good too... 

16 minutes ago, Thebrewcrew said:

Backlund’s health immediately becomes this club’s biggest issue.

Flames become very thin at C if Backlund misses time.

Bennett back to C. Simon draws in, most likely. Wouldn’t mind seeing Gawdin, even if it’s on the wing. Can’t be a downgrade on Saturday nights on-ice product 

Does anyone have a replay of the injury?  I missed it.

So now if Backes is out for any length of time how do you set your line ups?  Do you load up your top 2 lines by replacing Bennett with Mangi on the top and hope the bottom 2 lines dont hurt you too often? Or do you try and create balance with either Leivo, Simon up top?

With Ryan already out is there anyone else to play the shutdown C role? Is Froese good enough?

Who's next to come up?

18 minutes ago, Thebrewcrew said:

If Backlund can't go, this is what I would do

Tkachuk-Lindholm-Mangiapane

Gaudreau-Monahan-Simon

Lucic-Bennett-Dube

Nordstrom-Gawdin-Leivo

Nothing against Froese, I just want to see Gawdin get a chance.

Only thing I would change is swap Leivo and Simon. I am fine with Froese staying in, but I wouldn't mind seeing Gawdin either.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Thebrewcrew said:

If Backlund can't go, this is what I would do

Gaudreau-Monahan-Simon

Lucic-Bennett-Dube

Nordstrom-Gawdin-Leivo

Nothing against Froese, I just want to see Gawdin get a chance.

I haven't seen enough from Nordstrom to justify him playing every game.

I wonder what Ritchie is at this point.

Doubt this happens, but I hope they claim Galchenyuk.

Then we could use him in the top 9.

Think Jtec suggested this in the waiver thread, but I will add to it:

Gaudreau-Monahan-Galchenyuk

Lucic-Bennett-Dube

Nordstrom-Gawdin-Leivo

I don't think the top 6 is any worse.  Galchenyuk does some things that Bennett does.  Mangiapane brings back something Tkachuk has been missing.

Bennett's line is reunited.

4th line could be fine as is or insert Ritchie or Simon.

As it stand, Norstrom does nothing to improve offense.

Leivo is a bit wasted, but I can't see them using him over Galc.

It looks like Mackey is going to get another game. I would think we will see Simon get back into the lineup. I do find it interesting that all of Nordstrom, Leivo, Rinaldo, Gawdin, Robinson and Ritchie are out there skating in the optional. I wonder if we see an AHL call up tonight.

I get why they are going with Markstrom tonight.

I just think they have to do a better job of managing his workload. 13/15 for Markstrom after tonight. It's too heavy a workload and Rittich can't be feeling too comfy in net, they'll need him. 

I would just hate to see the organization make the same mistake they made with Kipper, overplaying the #1. 

• Like 3