Jacob Markstrom

Thebrewcrew

3 hours ago, travel_dude said:

The three possible goalies that actually have a chance at being a starter were Hotby, Markstrom and Murray.

Or you give up a 1st for Keumper and that was when he might have been available.

Murray - by your standards is not a good goalie and should have been avoided.  We did.

Holtby - not impressive other than winning a cup on a team that finally hit their stride.

He wasn't even the starter to begin with.

Markstrom - remains to be seen if he's any better than what we have had in years.

Yeah I understand, if the goal was to go out and overpay for a  mediocre 30-year old, which quite frankly has been their goal for addressing goaltenders for the last decade,

Yes.  Within that context, they did well.    Something is going on with Matt Murray and I don't think you bite unless you have an inside track on what that is.

Did we win the goalie sweepstakes?   No, we did not.   

Nashville won the goalie sweepstakes.  Followed by Markstrom winning.

3 hours ago, jjgallow said:

Yeah I understand, if the goal was to go out and overpay for a  mediocre 30-year old, which quite frankly has been their goal for addressing goaltenders for the last decade,

Yes.  Within that context, they did well.    Something is going on with Matt Murray and I don't think you bite unless you have an inside track on what that is.

Nashville won the best goalie in the draft.  Most likely.

Could be a NHL player in 3-7 years.

By then Saros might be the starter and they have nobody else.

So, yeah Nashville wins the award for best goalie not in the NHL.

2 hours ago, travel_dude said:

Nashville won the best goalie in the draft.  Most likely.

Could be a NHL player in 3-7 years.

By then Saros might be the starter and they have nobody else.

So, yeah Nashville wins the award for best goalie not in the NHL.

I acknowledge that you are entirely correct and reiterate that I am jealous of them.    Cups are more important to me than time

2 hours ago, jjgallow said:

I acknowledge that you are entirely correct and reiterate that I am jealous of them.    Cups are more important to me than time

Nashville will be a pretender by the time Askie is in the NHL.

All the good D will be mid 30's by then.

I guess they could be like Gio and be stars at that age.

21 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

Nashville will be a pretender by the time Askie is in the NHL.

All the good D will be mid 30's by then.

I guess they could be like Gio and be stars at that age.

They are already a pretender and they have some very very solid D prospects.   Rightly or wrongly it is Russian heavy.

I don't know them well enough to comment definitely on their future but they did well at the draft 

On 10/16/2020 at 4:36 PM, jjgallow said:

You have to look at where the Flames were this past season.

Part of a season under BP where Backlund was forced to the wing.

Rittich overplayed until he fell to earth.

A good goalie away from beating Dallas.

Sure, we could have been better in other aspects.

Defense was a bit lacking at times.

Having Forbort and Gus was not exactly a stud defense.

At least we have a goalie that can be a starter.

More than we can say for the last 8 years.

You can be critical if you like, because frankly he was a Nuck.

For a team not expected to even compete, he was steady for them.

The money is meaningless if it leads to a deep cup run.

36 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

You have to look at where the Flames were this past season.

Part of a season under BP where Backlund was forced to the wing.

Rittich overplayed until he fell to earth.

A good goalie away from beating Dallas.

Sure, we could have been better in other aspects.

Defense was a bit lacking at times.

Having Forbort and Gus was not exactly a stud defense.

At least we have a goalie that can be a starter.

More than we can say for the last 8 years.

You can be critical if you like, because frankly he was a Nuck.

For a team not expected to even compete, he was steady for them.

The money is meaningless if it leads to a deep cup run.

If it leads to a deep cup run all will be forgiven without any question.

For me to suggest this as likely is beyond what I can do.     Rittich was overplayed yes, and that's another persplexing convo.   The Flames almost never do anything in goal that makes sense to at least me either in the moment or in hindsight.    I'm not able to bring myself to explain their most currrent stupid move away by thinking of it within the context of their last stupid move.    But, we're clearly stuck with this guy for 6 years and I better get used to him (although I expect he's going to be the NHL's most expensive backup goalie shortly).

Now he takes us to the promised land and I'll happily eat all these words, yes I will.

• 2 months later...

Kevin Woodley runs InGoal Magazine and appears he will be a regular contributor to the Fan960 going forward. I've always like his analysis of goals and he does a good job of blending his background in goalies and analytics. He uses a site called Clear sight Analytics who tracks over 30 stats related to goalie and shot quality and they are a company many NHL teams use.  I put the link below to the segment for those interested. 

The thing that stood out for me is he said that according to their data last season Markstrom did not allow, for the entire season, a "bad" goal. So goals where it's a low danger shot, clear vision of the puck etc he was perfect on them and was the only goalie in the league that didn't. Also interested is he said according to Clear Sight's data if your goalie lets in a bad goal and the other team's doesn't you lose 87% of the time.

Really interesting stuff I thought. I may not love the contract but I am excited to see what Markstrom can do in Calgary. 

https://www.sportsnet.ca/960/the-nine/flames-fans-expect-jacob-markstrom/

• Like 1

Depending on how Valimaki emerges and how the bottom pair shakes out, our D may be better at Defending than last season with Brodie and Hamonic.  Hamonic was especially brutal.  Plus, Hanifin - Andersson is getting better all the time.  Our D group has every potential to be better this season defensively and better than the Canucks last season.  So given that, I feel Markstrom is in an excellent situation to succeed.  (and same for Rittich).

Markstrom is and was the correct choice for this club. We are further ahead in our devision in net with him. What is required is better defensive play in front of him. Markstrom stole games for the Van, at sounder defensive structure we wont have to rely on him to steal games. Secondly, Ritch will br key on how he handles his role an demotion mentaly, it appears he is fine with it. Personally if this club can have some form of balance on both sides of the rubber, they could create somr noise 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, tmac70 said:

Markstrom is and was the correct choice for this club. We are further ahead in our devision in net with him. What is required is better defensive play in front of him. Markstrom stole games for the Van, at sounder defensive structure we wont have to rely on him to steal games. Secondly, Ritch will br key on how he handles his role an demotion mentaly, it appears he is fine with it. Personally if this club can have some form of balance on both sides of the rubber, they could create somr noise 

for me, I think the success hinges on Monahan and Gaudreau playing to at least their level even prior to the 2018/19 season. But I think it’s their engagement that will push the team’s offence ahead. With the lines improving by putting Lindholm with Tkachuk and the Backs bump, I think the team can be better offensively. 

after that, the extra saves and hopefully no more bad goals, this team can push forward. I think they still need to work on the occasional brainfarts on defence but maybe Markstrom can stop some of those pucks that got in in previous seasons. Don’t let the Petterssons of the world to get easier goals. A metaphor for other teams good players...

I am starting to get confidence in this club this year. 

10 hours ago, robrob74 said:

for me, I think the success hinges on Monahan and Gaudreau playing to at least their level even prior to the 2018/19 season. But I think it’s their engagement that will push the team’s offence ahead. With the lines improving by putting Lindholm with Tkachuk and the Backs bump, I think the team can be better offensively. 

after that, the extra saves and hopefully no more bad goals, this team can push forward. I think they still need to work on the occasional brainfarts on defence but maybe Markstrom can stop some of those pucks that got in in previous seasons. Don’t let the Petterssons of the world to get easier goals. A metaphor for other teams good players...

I am starting to get confidence in this club this year. 

Welcome back to the bandwagon....

I think even with the same type of season that the top line had, we could still see better results.

For me, the offense starts with the D.

Last year it was not well constructed.

Stone and Hamonic were brutal.

By D, I mean starting from the D zone, by first gaining possession.

So many times we strip the puck, only to have it back on the other sticks.

Or out and back in.

And we have to do more than just letting teams pick up the puck behind their net and skate in.

Take care of the D-zone first.

Forecheck to make it tougher.

3 hours ago, travel_dude said:

Welcome back to the bandwagon....

I think even with the same type of season that the top line had, we could still see better results.

For me, the offense starts with the D.

Last year it was not well constructed.

Stone and Hamonic were brutal.

By D, I mean starting from the D zone, by first gaining possession.

So many times we strip the puck, only to have it back on the other sticks.

Or out and back in.

And we have to do more than just letting teams pick up the puck behind their net and skate in.

Take care of the D-zone first.

Forecheck to make it tougher.

yup! Giordano and Co. were all so good at stepping into the rush and causing havoc. I hope they give them freedom to make those reads to jump. A lot of the time the trailer gets that open high slot. it’s possible why we saw Giordano look average last year too, or his age... I think he tries too hard in the Playoffs. Sometimes it makes you crap as a player, like squeezing the stick too tight, exerting unnecessary energy. I wonder how much of it was also his desire to be up at a Norris level too?

I think we might miss Brodie, but hopefully Valamaki can work his way up the lines as the years go by. 

but yup! Cleaner break outs. Good passes... it’s like you said, Johnny missed a lot of breakaway attempts. He pops a few and his confidence is higher. The ripple affect either way had an impact on his year. He misses them and he feels Satoshi Nakamoto about himself. He makes them and he has more jump and confidence.

if they’re at .85 points per game then I think what you said is happening. They end up with around 45-48 points this year. It’ll be tough, and probably good development for everyone in the division, because it is going to be like a season long fight for the playoffs. Teams will play other teams harder in a playoff like atmosphere.

it could be a good coaching experience for Ward and the coach staff as well. How will they adjust as the season goes on? 

On 1/7/2021 at 9:40 PM, tmac70 said:

Yeah, it's only one game.

I just wanted to be the first on here to say that as my guess is we're going to be saying "It's only one game" a LOT in this thread.

5 minutes ago, jjgallow said:

I just wanted to be the first on here to say that as my guess is we're going to be saying "It's only one game" a LOT in this thread.

I still don't think the Flames problems have been goaltending. Ok, Smith, sucked, Rittich is a 50/50 goalie. But Talbot was good. From what I saw last night, that breakaway goal is what I've come to expect from the Flames. They're going to give up grade A chances every game and other teams find ways to capitalize on them. It's a back breaker... Albeit, the goalies we've had in the past were probably 3rd tier goalies in the NHL, but Elliott came with great numbers to fail. Talbot gained some good play, and the team flopped on him. 

Markstrom is a starter, but I think the Flames will still help him look a bit better than average. It is the style they play...

21 minutes ago, jjgallow said:

I think you have to accept that the 4th line is a problem.

If they are going to be -2 on 4 goals, then it's not going to be on the goalie.

I didn't line the Laine goals, but one was a breakaway and the other was a weird sequence of no hot/shot. 

45 minutes ago, robrob74 said:

I still don't think the Flames problems have been goaltending. Ok, Smith, sucked, Rittich is a 50/50 goalie. But Talbot was good.

I agree, Talbot was...ok.   

If the only thing we know how to do is acquire 30 something goalies, then....that was a good move.  Within the very limited scope of what this organisation is willing to do in the goalie department, I liked it.

And we still threw him out with the trash, so, imho the Flames Do have a goaltending problem.  And it's probably not their worst problem (defense and RHSs) but it's the first step to getting things back on track.

29 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

I think you have to accept that the 4th line is a problem.

If they are going to be -2 on 4 goals, then it's not going to be on the goalie.

I didn't line the Laine goals, but one was a breakaway and the other was a weird sequence of no hot/shot. 

I have no problems accepting that :)

I have no problems accepting that the fourth line, our defence, our entire right-hand side of the ice, our top line center, our goaltending, our goaltending system, and our management, in particular, is a problem.

But goaltending is Definitely in that list and I feel that fixing this is one of the first steps (behind fixing management)

Strong case to be made that Markstrom is the biggest reason the Flames got a point last night.

Laine zips a 93mph wrister. Nobody is stopping that.

Lucic serves up a pizza. First save was made, nobody there to tie up Schiefele.

Cross-seam pass to Connor on a 5 on 3.

Laine with another nice shot on the winner. Monahan getting a stick on the initial attempt threw off Markstrom's angle. 

He was one of the better Flames last night, unless you wanna boxscore scout it. 

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, sak22 said:

Well the Russian prodigy I kept hearing about looked quite average earlier this month, but I guess those are "just 1 games"

Getting a .914 Save percentage as an 18 year old in their draft year at the world juniors being played as the regular starter is average?

Anyone know the last time that or better has happened in history?

26 minutes ago, jjgallow said:

I agree, Talbot was...ok.   

If the only thing we know how to do is acquire 30 something goalies, then....that was a good move.  Within the very limited scope of what this organisation is willing to do in the goalie department, I liked it.

And we still threw him out with the trash, so, imho the Flames Do have a goaltending problem.  And it's probably not their worst problem (defense and RHSs) but it's the first step to getting things back on track.

I took a lot of crap when they got Markstrom cause I said they aught to have gone cheaper on that position I’m pretty sure Ott signed Murray who is 26 to 6.25 at 4 years vs Markstrom who is 30 to 6 at 6 years... would have been a better route as Murray at Markstrom’s current age vs Markstrom at 36 I’m thinking the length of this contract will really suck and cost way more in the long run...

at present, the major weak area is still D, and sorry to say it but Gio is 1/2 the problem age sucks especially eating up 6+ Mil of the cap! ...the other 1/2 is we could use another reliable and prove 3rd pair guy 

up front, is another issue all together Lucic is a huge issue mostly because of his cap hit vs what he brings is way too high...the other issue is we are way too small up front, and have absolutely 0 RW’s that legitimately belong on the RW (aka they are either Ctr or LW converts) and of those, none are legitimate top 9 players...least not yet Manji and Dube are potentially 2nd liners but both are natural LW’s and both are small...

as much as I hate the idea of letting one of them go it needs to be done they are basically the same player say for Manji being a bit more offensive and then add in we also have gaudreau, which if he’s our only small spit fire would be fine but holly hell, that’s a full line of tiny right there! 

anyway theses are some of the major issues and reasons why this team lack pushback and never say die...

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, Thebrewcrew said:

He was one of the better Flames last night, unless you wanna boxscore scout it. 

In the words of Bertuzzi "It is what it is"...

We claimed Markstrom ignoring literally all of his standard stats which show that he is not spectacular, we ignore that he has never really won anything and we ignore his age.

Despite all of these factors shown to be highly statistically significant factors in evaluating a goalie, the organisation ignored them.

Since they're unlikely to change (more likely to get worse), sure...

Maybe "it was just one game" won't be enough.

Maybe we'll have to start making excuses for each shot "it was just one goal"

23 minutes ago, jjgallow said:

Getting a .914 Save percentage as an 18 year old in their draft year at the world juniors being played as the regular starter is average?

Anyone know the last time that or better has happened in history?

Yeah but he was .880 vs both Canada and the US so, that's not just one game that's two, one of them being the first game the other an elimination.  Yet being .882 (which is better than .880 wow) in the first game after the 2nd 4 month break in the past year, on a new team with a short camp and no preseason is an indication that you are no good.  But by game one performances being the indicator rejoice knowing that John Gibson, Ilya Samsonov, Igor Shesterkin, Frederik Andersen, Carey Price, Tristan Jarry, and Phllippe Grubauer are all equal or worse because they all gave up 4 or more as well.