Flames unveil "Full Retro" jerseys

cross16

Valerie Bure approves. 

My personal thoughts aside, the Flames listened to their fans and did a good job marketing this one. I feel their marketing team has become one of the better ones in the league lately. Not the best era of Flames hockey but involving players like Bure is cool. 

After the whole release my rankings

31. Islanders - just lame, would be hard to want to pay $200 for reversed striping

30. Redwings - just boring

29. Mighty Ducks - might as well call them that again if they're bringing back that 

28. Penguins - hated that one on the black 25 years ago hate it on white as well Robo-Pen on the shoulders might have put it up higher, but shouldn't have been brought back

27. Stars - that logo on the gray is horrendous

26. Sharks - their originals are one of my favorite all-times, a reverse of that would be top ten, instead its a reverse of a mediocre jersey.

25. Blue Jackets - so little to choose from, but pretty meh

24. Sabres - a combination of their worst jerseys 

23. Golden Knights - little to choose from but too close to the Flames '03-'07 home reds

22. Jets - credit for not going Thrashers, but an original color scheme would have put them a lot higher

21. Nordiques or Avalanche - My take is it is a slap in the face to both current fans and fans of the old just to please the nostalgia lovers.  Original Avs jerseys were great should have gone there.

20. Whalers or Hurricanes - same reasons just like the original Whalers more than the Nords

19. Leafs 

18. Blackhawks 

17. Predators

16. Rangers

15. Blues - I just can't get past the Blues having a red jersey, on top of that those were the worst jersey they had to use

14. Lightning - it fits with their current look a little I like it over their others

13. Oilers 

12. Capitals - took their worst jersey design and made it better with their current color scheme

11. Canucks - I actually like this one, and I've hated everything with the Orca on it, still hate the Orca but the colors are cool

10. Flyers

9. Flames - personal bias

8. Wild - love keeping the Wild logo with the North Stars colors

7. Coyotes - something that stands out, curious to see how it would look in a game

6. Bruins - the creepy bear shoulder patch dropped them out of the top 5

5. Senators - perhaps a white stripe on the numbers would be sharp, but still a neat jersey

4. Devils - a reverse done right, it looks like Christmas

3. Kings - great mashup between a classic logo and color scheme

2. Panthers -  like San Jose they had a great initial jersey, going back to that gives them full marks

1. Canadiens - a true reversal on a classic that looks awesome

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jjgallow said:

I couldn't care less if they all wear spoons on their chest I just want to see some great hockey.  However long that takes.

You heard it here first folks; the nhl’s next league jersey theme will be the cutlery edition. Flames will obviously design theirs around a bbq implement, maybe a carving fork or grill brush. Oilers will probably want to stick with their theme of accidents and spills, so a roll of paper towels seems a good choice (though not technically a utensil). Canucks will stay ocean themed, maybe a pair of chop stick holding some sushi...

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Canucks fans be jaded. There are some inaccuracies, no doubt - apparently they are unaware that the Oilers are the only western Canadian team permitted to select first, but nevertheless...

https://www.vancouverisawesome.com/canucks-hockey/the-flames-have-signed-canucks-players-and-stolen-their-jersey-whats-next-3141082

Love.

just a marketing ploy to get some dollars into the owners pockets.. My play would be to open up arenas all across the country and The Excited states to closed circuit games played to regional audiences.. If you can get 5000 fans at bigge rinks and 2-3 thousand at smaller rinks.. you'd have a fan based game again untill this pandemic is over

59 minutes ago, Horsman1 said:

just a marketing ploy to get some dollars into the owners pockets.. My play would be to open up arenas all across the country and The Excited states to closed circuit games played to regional audiences.. If you can get 5000 fans at bigge rinks and 2-3 thousand at smaller rinks.. you'd have a fan based game again untill this pandemic is over

i think they should go to a pay per view system. It would be more expensive than what we are used to but hockey fans would have hockey. What would fans be willing to pay?

• Like 1

The thing about the Rogers app that I can’t stand is not getting the post game content. They’d have to create a virtual experience. 

imagine if they put it in the fans corner, allow them to cheer from home... the boos would be in a huge delay though! Haha. 

1 hour ago, Horsman1 said:

Levels of fan attendance aren't up to the league, they can't move forward with any type of indoor public gathering until the governments allow it.  If fan attendance was up to them I'm sure there would be more of a plan for next season.

8 hours ago, robrob74 said:

i think they should go to a pay per view system. It would be more expensive than what we are used to but hockey fans would have hockey. What would fans be willing to pay?

I'm not sure that charging more for content when so many more people are struggling financially would be the best option.  If the teams and league are looking for more monetary options then why not added advertising? Those big tarps over the seats during the bubble? Look like a great place for ads, those computer generated ads on the glass, or dare I say on the unis and equipment like you see in the European leagues?

• Like 1

I kind of liked what the nba did with the virtual fans - set up screens in the stands that get displayed on tv, that have real fans at home watching the game simultaneously (via webcam). Sell those spots. Rotate people in and out so you can sell more than the “virtual seating” allows for. Maybe allow fan microphones to be on during the game to create that realistic atmosphere. 

and maybe sell the opposite side of the arena to in-person people, ensuring spacing rules are adhered to. 

• 6 months later...
On 11/16/2020 at 9:04 AM, cross16 said:

I'm still just not a fan of the horsehead but it's still a really sharp jersey and a nice change of pace

I also dislike the blasty jersey.  It's a demographic thing, I think.    Retro is a relative term.

When you were following the Flames before their cup win it seems quite odd to hear that a horse head blowing flames out of its nostrils is retro.  

But....I am happy the marketing people are in charge of marketing because they know their stuff and quite honestly I couldn't care about the jerseys.

As long as the marketing people aren't influencing trades, I'm happy.  Cough cough Gaudreau