Flames unveil "Full Retro" jerseys

cross16

One of the worst kept secrets in Calgary, this has been building for years, but starting this season the Flames are going full retro on their jerseys, including both home and away, on a full time basis. 

Look for an official announcement from the team Monday.

14 minutes ago, cross16 said:

One of the worst kept secrets in Calgary, this has been building for years, but starting this season the Flames are going full retro on their jerseys, including both home and away, on a full time basis. 

Look for an official announcement from the team Monday.

As long as the flaming horse head makes a triumphant return as an alternate uni all will be good!  :ph34r:

I always found myself liking the flags too and thought they made really good shoulder patches. Honestly i'm going to miss their jersey it's actually been on of my favorites in particular the red one. 

That being said these are still very sharp, especially the away one. Can't be mad at this decision. 

Edit: Actually the current red home is not going away. Will serve as an alternate jersey for this season. I would imagine that is short-lived though as I've heard rumblings they are working on a new 3rd jersey too. 

The current red home jersey, featuring the black-crested flaming C, will now act as the team's alternate jersey for the upcoming campaign.

https://www.nhl.com/flames/news/flames-going-full-retro/c-319298278

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

There has been some rumors the Flames already have a 3rd jersey designed they are just waiting until later to announce it. Didn’t want to combine it with the retro announcement. 

I would suspect the horse head, or Blasty, will likely be a part of it. Flames design team confirmed last year they weren’t done with Blasty. 

3 minutes ago, flames-fan-in-jets-land said:

I like the retro unis fine but for me the odd time as a 3rd jersey was already enough. I guess maybe its to try and sell more merch but I wont be shelling out more $$ for a retro one. 

Anyways, I cant be the only one who actually liked these

Calgary-Flames-2013-16-Alternate-Jersey-575x269.png

I like that one too, and actually have one of those. For me, the problem with the current home jerseys is the black numbers, and the black logo. They can still use the 3-ply if they want, but the top layer absolutely needs to be white. This jersey got that right, with the numbers, at least. 

An aside, the problem with the current white set is the black pants. It'd be pretty slick if the pants were red. I'm looking forward to the retros. I just wish that we could actually be there to see them. 

Love. 

21 minutes ago, flames-fan-in-jets-land said:

I like the retro unis fine but for me the odd time as a 3rd jersey was already enough. I guess maybe its to try and sell more merch but I wont be shelling out more $$ for a retro one. 

Anyways, I cant be the only one who actually liked these

Calgary-Flames-2013-16-Alternate-Jersey-575x269.png

At first, I hated them. They looked like a department store knockoff. However when I saw them in action, they looked a lot better and kinda liked them. In general, I feel like it was not a jersey most people liked.

I'm shocked, but for some reason Blasty (horsehead) seems to be so popular. Never liked that jersey and while i liked it as a shoulder patch I have no interest in seeing it on a jersey again. 

But the twitter campaign to bring it back is pretty loud and pretty passionate. I'm really surprised. 

1 hour ago, cross16 said:

I'm shocked, but for some reason Blasty (horsehead) seems to be so popular. Never liked that jersey and while i liked it as a shoulder patch I have no interest in seeing it on a jersey again. 

But the twitter campaign to bring it back is pretty loud and pretty passionate. I'm really surprised. 

It's all cyclical.  For some of the late millenial early Gen Z's  it's the nostalgic jersey, it's one of the only jersey's to be on a video game cover.  Like the current jersey's, very popular now, but back in the early to mid '90's the current set wasn't a big seller (at least with the people my age).  

I do wonder if they do a reverse retro with a blasty, if it would be on a white jersey.

11 hours ago, sak22 said:

It's all cyclical.  For some of the late millenial early Gen Z's  it's the nostalgic jersey, it's one of the only jersey's to be on a video game cover.  Like the current jersey's, very popular now, but back in the early to mid '90's the current set wasn't a big seller (at least with the people my age).  

I do wonder if they do a reverse retro with a blasty, if it would be on a white jersey.

I read this right after I saw this on twitter. Interesting as it would match what you are saying and the reverse retro theme. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, cross16 said:

I read this right after I saw this on twitter. Interesting as it would match what you are saying and the reverse retro theme. 

The vision I had was with the red and black stripes switched, but I guess its more of a reverse to have it that way.  I'd swap out the red C's for black personally, but that's just my desire to not completely put the black C out to pasture, as I do believe it still has significance to the history of the franchise, kind of the symbol of the rebirth.  

Don't hate this concept, just won't be one I rush out to buy at full price once it comes out.

• 3 weeks later...

So in 98, the Flames wore the pedestal design and the horse, which makes me think it's a mashup of the two...

These kind of remind me of the NFL colour rush. The NFL had some great ones, the Saints and Raiders were well done. Then they had some like fluorescent Seahawks..

A purple ARI jersey could be tough to look at.