UFA 2020, Who’d You Sign?

robrob74

7 minutes ago, MP5029 said:

I like this especially the Gauthier option he’s a really good fit on a 3rd line...

only three issues...

1. will ward do it?

2. Do we have anything NYR would want in a trade, that won’t kill our already thing prospect pool?

3. Where do you play Lucic? 4th line with Ryan? And if Ryan is the asset for Gauthier, who’s playing the 4th line with Lucic? 

otherwise this would be an amazing options and idea!  Heck even without getting Gauthier, the top 6 shuffle could be just the trick! 

I thought maybe Ryan and a second or a third would be good to get gauthier. And I know Gawdin would be good as the 4th center

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, pikey7883 said:

Everyone keeps saying trade Gaudreau for a top RW, and I’ve said it before but I’ll say it again. What if we moved him to the offwing? Two players who are akin to him are Patrick Kane and Artemi Panarin.

It's an idea that's been tried before.  Gaudreau isn't comfortable on RW.  Stop trying and play him on his strong side.  Tkachuk seems more comfortable with the switch so maybe that's our answer right there.  Tkachuk on RW may be a permanent thing.  Dube also seems comfortable on RW.

2 hours ago, MP5029 said:

Ha I disagree on Hall, he was quoted as saying “Calgary showed interest before the Markstrom signing” after “Calgary never submitted a Zoom pitch” 

that is not on Hall, if anything it shows he wanted a pitch from Cgy, and probably would have taken it, it sounded like to

me he was just waiting for Cgy, and because he didn’t get one he opted for a 1 year deal to make some coin...I can’t blame him

Exactly, once the (arguably) greater need was addressed in net there was no signing of anything even close to what Hall wanted without moving out a similar contract. Since there was obviously no deals to move out there was just no room so why even zoom an offer?

Plus I'll probably die alone on this hill but I dont think Hall is the savior many around here think.

5 minutes ago, JTech780 said:

Less than I thought he would get, still too much.

Has Vancouver gotten anybody they wanted except Holtby??

wanted to resign Markstrom

wanted to keep, Toffoli, Stetcher, Tanev

Were in on Barrie hard apparently 

no wonder Van fans are all testy these days 

1 minute ago, flames-fan-in-jets-land said:

Exactly, once the (arguably) greater need was addressed in net there was no signing of anything even close to what Hall wanted without moving out a similar contract. Since there was obviously no deals to move out there was just no room so why even zoom an offer?

Plus I'll probably die alone on this hill but I dont think Hall is the savior many around here think.

well you and I won’t see eye to ey one this, you definitely not seeing or willing to accept the fact BT has made some very questionable moves which have put our team in a very poor spot...I will say Markstrom is a bright spot but...you can’t win with just a great Goalie we tried that with kipper...it didn’t work cause we had no scoring after Iginla and let’s face facts the only player even close to what ignlia was and who is/was available was Hall 

he should have been priority 2...Hall There was some room but BT got too narrow focused on D and made a panic sign, there were plenty of other solid options at a far better price that could have filled the role of Tanev...don’t get me wrong I like him (if he can stay healthy) but we probably could have had Hall, and I’m sure we could have moved JG and Ryan, but definitely JG we had the room and I really Don’t think loosing out on Tanev would have been as large a loss as loosing Out on Hall will be...wait and see.

again, not saying I dislike Tanev, but for the price, I’d rather have had Hall and took a chance our our younger D Yeltsin (sp) Kyllington 

1 minute ago, MP5029 said:

well you and I won’t see eye to ey one this, you definitely not seeing or willing to accept the fact BT has made some very questionable moves which have put our team in a very poor spot...I will say Markstrom is a bright spot but...you can’t win with just a great Goalie we tried that with kipper...it didn’t work cause we had no scoring after Iginla and let’s face facts the only player even close to what ignlia was and who is/was available was Hall 

he should have been priority 2...Hall There was some room but BT got too narrow focused on D and made a panic sign, there were plenty of other solid options at a far better price that could have filled the role of Tanev...don’t get me wrong I like him (if he can stay healthy) but we probably could have had Hall, and I’m sure we could have moved JG and Ryan, but definitely JG we had the room and I really Don’t think loosing out on Tanev would have been as large a loss as loosing Out on Hall will be...wait and see.

again, not saying I dislike Tanev, but for the price, I’d rather have had Hall and took a chance our our younger D Yeltsin (sp) Kyllington 

Neither of these Players are defensive shutdown Dmen .. nor is anybody currently on the roster outside of Tanev ( and prev Hamonic)

15 minutes ago, phoenix66 said:

Has Vancouver gotten anybody they wanted except Holtby??

wanted to resign Markstrom

wanted to keep, Toffoli, Stetcher, Tanev

Were in on Barrie hard apparently 

no wonder Van fans are all testy these days 

I doubt Holtby was their first choice, but more of a fall back plan.

9 minutes ago, MP5029 said:

Tanev did not cost the Flames Hall, unless your plan was to not re sign Mangiapane, trade Ryan and then find a way to get 5-6 players to all play for minimum contracts. There was no cap space to pay Hall one Markstrom was in the fold. 

the decision was either to prioritize Markstrom or Hall but both was not an option without the Flames moving a significant salary with little coming back. Tanev changed nothing in terms of the Flames decision to pursue Hall. 

Here's hoping Vegas falls on their face in their pursuit of Pietrangelo.

Fleury's name has been out there but it is unlikely he is going anywhere.

Martinez's name has been out there. Schmidt was traded 3 times yesterday by Vegas, yet still is in Vegas lol.

When your car is in need of some work or a tune-up you go to the dealership to buy a part, to keep it running. You don't go to a dealership to buy parts to build a car. Similar to Free Agency, you don't build teams in Free Agency, too expensive. We now enter the off-season where BT has more resources at his finger tips to mould his team. 

22 minutes ago, MP5029 said:

Sure we could've but, there are a lot of cap dumps out there that have little benefit to the trading team.  I guess you could live with dumping Ryan for a late round pick, myself I believe he provides more value to keep than to give away.  And the trade market right now is not very good, there could be a time to trade Gaudreau this offseason but there have been a lot of weird trades so far, I'd rather not pull a big move at the moment.

I have to say it, trading Johnny now is looking like our best option to improve as a hole this year.

If Johnny is traded for a pick and say a depth fourth liner that frees up 6.75 cash minus what ever comes back.

Mange plays second line LW where he probably improves on last year.

We could afford \Hoffman.

That leave us with.

Tkachuk - Mony - Lindholm

Mange - Backlund - Hoffman

This looks way better than any line up with JH in it come playoffs. IMO

44 minutes ago, cross16 said:

Tanev did not cost the Flames Hall, unless your plan was to not re sign Mangiapane, trade Ryan and then find a way to get 5-6 players to all play for minimum contracts. There was no cap space to pay Hall one Markstrom was in the fold. 

the decision was either to prioritize Markstrom or Hall but both was not an option without the Flames moving a significant salary with little coming back. Tanev changed nothing in terms of the Flames decision to pursue Hall. 

You have to wonder about what BT is planning.

Goaltending was not the only problem with the team, but it was enough to prioritize Markstrom.

So they fixed it for some time.

Tanev was a move to address inability to defend the home plate area.

Fine, move on.

No real way to add any top 6 players without moving someone out.

But what do we need to fix?

The top line had a down year.

Tkachuk 's line was pretty good all along.

Do we really need to do something there?

Swap Mangiapane and Lindholm or Tkachuk and Lindholm.

That alone might do it.

What we haven't addressed is the bottom 6.

Lucic has shown that he can play; does he need 3rd line minutes or is that tying the line to a certain style more appropriate to the playoffs?

Bennett, whether 3rd or 4th line, wasn't getting it done.

I propose that the Flames trade Ryan for a pick.

Find a guy that has some skill and sign or trade for him.

Tyler Johnson, with retained salay, would be perfect for Bennett and Dube.

TBL would probably do it for little return.

I know there is the issue of the NTC, but they are playing hardball with him.

Getting the chance to play would be better than AHL.

Gaudreau-Monahan-Tkachuk

Mangiapane-Backlund-Lindholm

Dube-Bennett-Johnson

Lucic-Gawdin-Phillips

The 4th line keeps Lucic with a RHS C, which he's said really helps.

The other players on that line play a little taller.

It's less of a crashing line and more capable of scoring.

You could alternate with Buddy on RW.

Keeps Rinaldo on the sidelines.

As long as TJ comes in around 3.5m and we move out Ryan, we could re-sign Kylington and give Mangiapane about 3.0 x 2 years, plus add one D-man and 2 minor F's.

Tight to the cap, but we can get a sense once the season starts whether we "need" to trade Gaudreau.

The other option is to look at Granlund or Dadonov on a short term deal.

Still have to trade Ryan.

anybody else get the feeling Rittich could be getting shopped ?

word was they made Talbot an offer while in the middle of signing Markstrom..They wanted both 

They sign Domingue , a proven low maintenance backup ..used to playing when needed after backing up Smith who rarely took a night off 

moving Rittich would move $2M off the books .. and ya gotta know as good as the pair may be , signing Markstrom is telling Rittich you aren't going to be the Guy here 

He's UFA in a year , hes not coming back 

I get the sense the Flames want to move Rittich yes. They are supporting him publicly but behind the scenes I’ve heard many in the organization have soured on him. I doubt they would find a taker but I if they got one I think they’d pull the trigger for sure. 

2 minutes ago, cross16 said:

I get the sense the Flames want to move Rittich yes. They are supporting him publicly but behind the scenes I’ve heard many in the organization have soured on him. I doubt they would find a taker but I if they got one I think they’d pull the trigger for sure. 

Makes a whole lot of sense ..I don't buy Domingue as just an emergency call up.. I mean if that was the case sign him for 2 so you have your expansion offer goalie .. right now we don't have one unless Parsons gets at least a 2 year deal 

1 minute ago, phoenix66 said:

Makes a whole lot of sense ..I don't buy Domingue as just an emergency call up.. I mean if that was the case sign him for 2 so you have your expansion offer goalie .. right now we don't have one unless Parsons gets at least a 2 year deal 

Domingue isn't an NHL goalie though, so hopefully they don't plan on using him as a backup. This year you will both Markstrom and Rittich. 

If you can trade Rittich and sign a guy like Dell to be the backup for league minimum, I could live with that, it wouldn't be ideal but I could live with it.

12 minutes ago, phoenix66 said:

I don’t think Dominique is a back up so I do buy that. If the Flames want to move Rittich they would have to go sign another goalie imo because Dominique is not a very good backup. I don’t think the Dominique signing influences Rittich at all. 

RFAs count for goalie exposure requirements so as long as Flames and Parsons can agree on a deal this year he counts. If not, or Parsons gets off to a good start or something, you’ll likely see them do what they did last time when they signed Tom McCallum  

3 minutes ago, JTech780 said:

Domingue isn't an NHL goalie though, so hopefully they don't plan on using him as a backup. This year you will both Markstrom and Rittich. 

If you can trade Rittich and sign a guy like Dell to be the backup for league minimum, I could live with that, it wouldn't be ideal but I could live with it.

Not sure what your definition is but he was 21-5  for Tampa a season ago 

11 minutes ago, phoenix66 said:

Not sure what your definition is but he was 21-5  for Tampa a season ago 

That team had one of the best regular seasons in NHL history they didn't need him to be good, and he wasn't great still only had a .908 save %.

A career 3.05 GAA and a .904 save%.

He is a fine 3rd stringer but he isn't a guy I would count on for 20-30 games this season.

1 minute ago, JTech780 said:

That team had one of the best regular seasons in NHL history they didn't need him to be good, and he wasn't great still only had a .908 save %.

A career 3.05 GAA and a .904 save%.

He is a fine 3rd stringer but he isn't a guy I would count on for 20-30 games this season.

that the thing .. backup to Markstrom is likely getting 15-20 Max 

Archived