UFA 2020, Who’d You Sign?

robrob74

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ok. I’ve digested the Tanev signing a bit. For the past couple of years I’ve griped about our defensive zone play. Tanev is a physical D that wins board battles and is a dog on a bone type. He may actually be what I’ve been calling for all this time. I’m going to ignore the fancy stats at this time and welcome him aboard. We’re passionate fans here, and we want the team to do well, and I wish Tanev all the best here. Welcome to the C of Red Tanev! Looking forward to having you run Satoshi Nakamoto in our D zone! 

Where Tyler Johnson was waived and can be parked in the AHL, I wonder if we could make a deal for him.

Not at full salary, but a minor amount retained.

Say 3.5m + 1.5m retained.

Even 1.0m retained.

Nothing major incolved from our end.

They were willing to give him up for nothing.

Gives us a potential 3rd line of Dube-Bennett-TJ

25 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

Yes when comparing the two, we downgraded D.

Different styles...   Different strengths and weaknesses...   They let a Chevy truck go and and got a Dodge instead...

Try and think of Tanev as another piece of the puzzle with a different purpose and not a replacement for Brodie...   Hamonic is gone, and I think that is for the best...    Maybe we can try and give Treliving a little time to see what he might park in the driveway next...

If it doesn't work out, I'll be as pissed off as anyone else. but  it's still to early for the pitchfork and scythe mob...

6 minutes ago, phoenix66 said:

Nope.... Tanev >Hamonic.   That is your comparison. We upgraded

Andersson pushed Brodie out 

I agree Tanev >Hamonic 

I disagree Anderson pushes Brodie out, I think it was more

the fans for the heat he took the year before, he wanted out 😞 mostly for

being under appreciated which sadly I get but I had always support him so I’m very sad he’s gone...plus Valimaki-Anderson would have been amazing

Gio-Brodie

Hanifin-Tanev 

Valimaki-Anderson 

that’s an amazingly deep blue line with the 3rd pair being the succession plan for the top line...best part is you could balance the ice time between all pairs without worry...

I think the issue is we do have a few guys to give a chance and earn NHL experience namely I think Yeltsin on the Rd and also Kylington who is a smooth

skater can play both L/R easily 

yes Anderson has also become amazing too, if Kylington and Yeltsin do well And Valimaki keep comingalon, we could very well see Gio going next Meaning I think they are looking to phase out the old o the d side as it was getting long in the tooth...

also puts the Fwd group on notice that they are next, in a year or two...unless they figure out how to play tough 

jsut a thought process I can see that act makes sense 

3 hours ago, sak22 said:

Between the economics and the lack of courting period it's not surprising, most big names made their minds up before July 1.

Between the lack of the expected and typical increase of the the cap and no revenue from selling seats, the league is in uncharted waters...   It was a whole different world for free agency this year...

3 hours ago, sak22 said:

Still some dominos to fall in terms of the top wingers + the biggest fish of all.

I am still hoping that a couple of those dominos fall and end up playing for the Flames this season...

4 hours ago, JTech780 said:

As the initial shock of the Tanev signing wears off, I am starting to warm to the idea of him playing in Calgary.

Don't get me wrong the contract is atrocious, that being said I do think he brings an element missing from this D core. He does bring some of that warrior spirit to the back end (I can hear your collective eyes rolling). He is elite at winning board battles, and exiting his own zone. He will make us tougher to play against. I do think that is an element that gets missed in the analytic models.

Adding to the analytic side of things, I do think Chris Snow and his group do a great job with the analytics and they do look at things differently than a lot of the public models out there. As an AGM I would think Snow would have had a big say in Tanev.

There are legit concerns, there is no way to get around it, but I do think he does bring a needed element to the back end.

25 minutes ago, lou44291 said:

Ok. I’ve digested the Tanev signing a bit. For the past couple of years I’ve griped about our defensive zone play. Tanev is a physical D that wins board battles and is a dog on a bone type. He may actually be what I’ve been calling for all this time. I’m going to ignore the fancy stats at this time and welcome him aboard. We’re passionate fans here, and we want the team to do well, and I wish Tanev all the best here. Welcome to the C of Red Tanev! Looking forward to having you run Satoshi Nakamoto in our D zone! 

Its not all Chocolate Cake out there (as Bob Hartley would say), someone needs to do the hard work in the Dzone.

We need to win more battles in the Dzone, and that is what Tanev has been brought here to do. I like the add.

51 minutes ago, MP5029 said:

I agree Tanev >Hamonic 

I disagree Anderson pushes Brodie out, I think it was more

the fans for the heat he took the year before, he wanted out 😞 mostly for

being under appreciated which sadly I get but I had always support him so I’m very sad he’s gone...plus Valimaki-Anderson would have been amazing

Gio-Brodie

Hanifin-Tanev 

Valimaki-Anderson 

that’s an amazingly deep blue line with the 3rd pair being the succession plan for the top line...best part is you could balance the ice time between all pairs without worry...

I think the issue is we do have a few guys to give a chance and earn NHL experience namely I think Yeltsin on the Rd and also Kylington who is a smooth

skater can play both L/R easily 

yes Anderson has also become amazing too, if Kylington and Yeltsin do well And Valimaki keep comingalon, we could very well see Gio going next Meaning I think they are looking to phase out the old o the d side as it was getting long in the tooth...

also puts the Fwd group on notice that they are next, in a year or two...unless they figure out how to play tough 

jsut a thought process I can see that act makes sense 

If Brodie thinks our fans are tough, wait till he gets to TO.

Fans never drove Brodie out of town, he wanted to take his family closer to home.

I believe the majority of fans in this city appreciated Brodie, excluding the ignorant. 

Brodie kept Calgary in his back pocket, right up until he was comfortable with the deal TO gave him then he left.

BT was ready to match that deal but Brodie gone.

Enter Tanev.

53 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

We need to improve from the play-in/playoffs.  Hamonic was never there.  Can't count him.  We obviously went from Brodie to Tanev.

Horse Satoshi...   :lol:

But you are right on one thing, Hamonic was out...   By his own personal choice, he chose not to show up...   and I won't miss him either...   So either way that we all might try and look at it, Hamonic still needed to be replaced...

1 hour ago, The_People1 said:

We need to improve from the play-in/playoffs.  Hamonic was never there.  Can't count him.  We obviously went from Brodie to Tanev.

Brodie and Andersson were our best D in return to play.

I think its fair to say Andersson slots in quite nicely as a Brodie replacement and Tanev replaces Hamonic as Hanifins usual partner.

I may be one of the few here who genuinely likes the Tanev signing as I think he's the type of player a winning team needs.

35 minutes ago, Carty said:

Horse Satoshi...   :lol:

But you are right on one thing, Hamonic was out...   By his own personal choice, he chose not to show up...   and I won't miss him either...   So either way that we all might try and look at it, Hamonic still needed to be replaced...

14 minutes ago, Sarasti said:

Brodie and Andersson were our best D in return to play.

I think its fair to say Andersson slots in quite nicely as a Brodie replacement and Tanev replaces Hamonic as Hanifins usual partner.

I may be one of the few here who genuinely likes the Tanev signing as I think he's the type of player a winning team needs.

Who cares about the March-team when the Play-in-team wasn't good enough?  How do we improve on the Play-in team?

3 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

Who cares about the March-team when the Play-in-team wasn't good enough?  How do we improve on the Play-in team?

Andersson and Tanev is an improvement over Brodie and Forbort if you want to use that logic.

Markstrom and Rittich is an improvement over Rittich and Talbot 

8 minutes ago, CheersMan said:

With Krug signing in STL, one would have to think BOS enters onto the AP sweepstakes.

My thoughts as well.

Hed slot in on that blue line really nicely if im being honest. With Charas career coming to an end, he'd be a great mentor for McAvoy and Carlo.

1 hour ago, CheersMan said:

What is Mang going to cost us?

He is going to arbitration, what range of deal can they award him?

In worst case scenario, what can we walk away from?

depends on term. 4.5 mill (and change) is the walk away number so anything less and the flames are stuck with it. Best to avoid this arb case. 
If I was guessing I would guess they settle on a 2 year deal for little less than 3 mill AAV.  Somewhere between 2.5 and 2.8

Archived