UFA 2020, Who’d You Sign?

robrob74

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
52 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

Brodie sucked.  

Until he fainted and then he was reborn.  A completely better player... Again.  He had stretches where the bad was so bad but the good was so good.  Polarizing.  

More confusing is he's thought of an as offensive Dman because of his skating but he's actually a defensive defenseman covering a lot of ice with his skating.  He had little offense once inside the offensive zone.

Offense only came from 3-on-3 OT which will be massively missed.  He was one of the leagues best in OT to be honest.

His turnovers came early in his career but he's a smart veteran player now.  He knows his limits.  But biggest weakness for me remains he's too soft.  Zero sandpaper, not intimidating, and easy to play against.

We are really letting him go at his peak and he's easily a $6-mil player.  He carried Gio in the playoffs so that's how good he was. Took a discount for term and going back home.  He will be missed.  4-years is just right.  TOR is getting a very good player on a very good contract.

Bingo on all accounts!

I forgot about how deadly we were 3 on 3. Brodie was strong there. We were always in the top rankings 3 on 3, that’s gone. Got to find other ways to collect points now, ways that work better in the playoffs.

Shed the frills and put on the work boots.

1 hour ago, travel_dude said:

I know Offer Sheets are predatory, but if we signed Cernak to one less than 4,364m, it would only cost a 2nd.

I don't see how they could match.

They waived Johnson, but still have to sign Cirelli and Sergachev.

And sign at least 1 more D.

TD, I’m with you that this should have been the move. 

7 minutes ago, phoenix66 said:

If he's so bad why are all the Canuck fans choked ?

It’s not that he’s bad per se, but yes he plays hard minutes. Gets injured. And I recently saw a stat chart on him when the Penguins were looking at him and apparently he gets caved in a bit. I believe there were still better options available. 

Might have been worse than I thought:

https://www.pensburgh.com/2020/9/22/21450595/penguins-rumors-free-agent-chris-tanev-canucks

28 minutes ago, lou44291 said:

TD, I’m with you that this should have been the move. 

Na, that’s bad business, legal business but bad business. COL is still gonna get us back for the ROR OS, their just waiting for an opportunity. Best not to have other teams after you. 

44 minutes ago, cross16 said:

Same for me. They are overpaying for grit and a RS, same as Brouwer. Doesn’t mean the results will be the same but I don’t like this signing. 

Why is everyone surprised?  

If you don't draft RHS then you have to overpay for them via UFA or trade.  There's no other way.  That's pretty much why you have to draft them yourself.

28 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

Why is everyone surprised?  

If you don't draft RHS then you have to overpay for them via UFA or trade.  There's no other way.  That's pretty much why you have to draft them yourself.

im not surprised at the deal. I’m surprised the Flames had interest in a dman who is very likely on the decline of his career and hasn’t been great the last two years. 

if you are insistent on RS there were other options to fill that need. This is about targeting the wrong player. 

Just now, cross16 said:

im not surprised at the deal. I’m surprised the Flames had interest in a dman who is very likely on the decline of his career and hasn’t been great the last two years. 

if you are insistent on RS there were other options to fill that need. This is about targeting the wrong player. 

Trues.  He's 30 and battled injuries his entire career.  Will be good for two more seasons easily but we should see a big drop off by year 3... not looking forward to that.

I still want to target Cernak.  We should've offer sheeted $4.5-mil x 4 to Cernak.  TB may pass on it because no choice.

warching the analynics of why they were targeting certain goalies was a real eye opener.. Markstrom's strengths fit perfectly for where the Flames have been scored on the last couple of years..If all goes aS PLANNED.. NO MORE GOALS AGAINST IN THE FIRST MINUTE OF PERIODS OE EASY GOALS UNCHALLENGED FROM THE slot

1 hour ago, rickross said:

Tanev. He plays defence

14 minutes ago, FlameFan4Life said:

We should also consider the fact that Tanev won't be expected to play as much of the hard minutes and will be a second pairing guy. I think he may end up having a better season it that role. He is reliable and I like the signing right shot dman like we needed.

A reliable dman. That’s what we need.

Tanev will give us 4 solid years.

Not Rehger but....that’s what is available.

Archived