2020 Nightmares...

Heartbreaker

Who'd you rather?!  

7 members have voted

1. 1. What's the worst case scenario?

• The Oilers lose to the Hawks, and win the draft lottery...
    • The Canucks play the Leafs in the Stanley Cup Final

1 minute ago, The_People1 said:

Worst case is Flames advance past the Jets only to lose in the first round of the playoffs.  Then Jets win the #1 pick.

The funny thing is that the pick belonged to the Jets until the qualifying round started.

If they had cancelled it, WPG would have a lotto 1st and a lotto 2nd in their history.

Worse case scenario is the Flames win the Q round.

The Oilers lose their round.

The lotto goes to EDM and the Nucks play the Leafs for the cup.

That's nightmares sown up into one really bad dream.

Considering we always make fun of Leafs fans with the "plan the parade" joke when things go slightly well, it would be kinda hilarious if they won and couldn't put on a parade, could even say the fans are the reason they haven't won in 50 years.  Honestly none of these are really a nightmare for me, I'd say the Oilers winning the cup is the biggest one for me, I'm not worried about them ruining another #1, but the Oiler fans I know are actually the worst, I like them as people, but so annoying as fans.

35 minutes ago, sak22 said:

Considering we always make fun of Leafs fans with the "plan the parade" joke when things go slightly well, it would be kinda hilarious if they won and couldn't put on a parade, could even say the fans are the reason they haven't won in 50 years.  Honestly none of these are really a nightmare for me, I'd say the Oilers winning the cup is the biggest one for me, I'm not worried about them ruining another #1, but the Oiler fans I know are actually the worst, I like them as people, but so annoying as fans.

Canucks fans are the worst.  No contest.

1 minute ago, sak22 said:

Yeah your probably right, I just don't need to deal with any at the moment.

Brian Burke sorta got into hot water a couple weeks ago when he said something along the lines of, "of all the hockey markets I've been apart of, Canucks have the most fickle fans"... Something like that.  Lol.  He said as soon as something went wrong, the fanbase eats the team alive.  It's so true.

The Oilers winning the draft lottery really is up there in worst case scenario for me.   It would just be bad for hockey.   The draft itself would have to be re-engineered.

If the Oilers won the lottery the NHL should just cancel the 2020 draft and give the kids a chance to develop.

23 hours ago, The_People1 said:

Brian Burke sorta got into hot water a couple weeks ago when he said something along the lines of, "of all the hockey markets I've been apart of, Canucks have the most fickle fans"... Something like that.  Lol.  He said as soon as something went wrong, the fanbase eats the team alive.  It's so true.

that 

and they would think Pettersson straight across for McDavid would be an equal trade. 

or even Horvat for Crosby. 

I might be over exaggerating but it would be like that, a bottom6 or bottom pair player for a 2nd/1st liner or top4 D type players. 

2 hours ago, robrob74 said:

that 

and they would think Pettersson straight across for McDavid would be an equal trade. 

or even Horvat for Crosby. 

I might be over exaggerating but it would be like that, a bottom6 or bottom pair player for a 2nd/1st liner or top4 D type players. 

I like Pettey, but I don't think he's top 10 in the league.

He's a smaller C that will come into his own as time goes on, but he's too slight right now.

Would not win any physicalo battles, even against Mangiapane.
I dislike Horvat.

Don't really know why.

Much like I want to punch Neal in the beak.

And I'm not a violent person.

3 hours ago, travel_dude said:

I like Pettey, but I don't think he's top 10 in the league.

He's a smaller C that will come into his own as time goes on, but he's too slight right now.

Would not win any physicalo battles, even against Mangiapane.
I dislike Horvat.

Don't really know why.

Much like I want to punch Neal in the beak.

And I'm not a violent person.

haha!

ya, I just mean their fans tend to overvalue their players. They tend to suggest the worst lopsided trade scenarios. 

If you are Holland and you win the lottery what do you even do?  Use the pick and draft Laf, trade it and try to fix a need, trade down a few spots and go for Askarov who could be of a greater organizational need, Nuge and Larsson in their last years of their contracts.  In year 1 Holland, gave too much money and term to Kassian, traded 2 2nds a 3rd, a 4th and a 5th in the next 2 drafts and out of it got 2 games of Mike Green, a bad contract in Neal, a guy whose name sounds like Happy-to-see-you which most Wings fans I know were Happy-to-see-leave and happy with the return, and Tyler Ennis who cost the least and was the only decent pick up.  So be interesting if it happened what this Hall of Fame GM would do.

That said I do not want to see them get it, but also can't bring myself to wanting to see them past this round.  The media is trying so hard with this team to promote its star that it is completely blind to how bad they are.  And if I have to hear anymore about Mike 5mith being the greatest puck handling goalie of all time I may throw my remote through my tv.  So Go Hawks! and Go 87.5% odds of the Oilers not winning the lottery!

42 minutes ago, sak22 said:

If you are Holland and you win the lottery what do you even do?  Use the pick and draft Laf, trade it and try to fix a need, trade down a few spots and go for Askarov who could be of a greater organizational need, Nuge and Larsson in their last years of their contracts.  In year 1 Holland, gave too much money and term to Kassian, traded 2 2nds a 3rd, a 4th and a 5th in the next 2 drafts and out of it got 2 games of Mike Green, a bad contract in Neal, a guy whose name sounds like Happy-to-see-you which most Wings fans I know were Happy-to-see-leave and happy with the return, and Tyler Ennis who cost the least and was the only decent pick up.  So be interesting if it happened what this Hall of Fame GM would do.

That said I do not want to see them get it, but also can't bring myself to wanting to see them past this round.  The media is trying so hard with this team to promote its star that it is completely blind to how bad they are.  And if I have to hear anymore about Mike 5mith being the greatest puck handling goalie of all time I may throw my remote through my tv.  So Go Hawks! and Go 87.5% odds of the Oilers not winning the lottery!

Holland bought into the thought that he had a contender.

Just a few pieces away.

I see a couple of real players and a few futures, but that's about it.

Nurse is not the stud that some suggest and will be looking for stud money.

Bear is a nice story, but only gives them two young-ish D-men that can play top 4 minutes.

Yammer is a good player, but I don't see him being anything more than a compliment to Draisaitl.

McD and Draisaitl continue to be goal-first players with less commitment to a 200 foot game.

Nuge is a 2-way C that got converted to a winger.

No 3rd or 4th line C's worth anything.

I would see the 1st overall going to PITTS long before it ends up with EDM.

It's not rigged, but I find myself believing that the ball has rough edges to it and won't drop.

If I had to guess, I would suggest that WPG picks up its rightful lotto pick, as they would have been the winner without the play-in.

They would be better off trading down and picking a D, which they have neglected.

43 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

I really hope the Oilers get into the playoffs.

Because more chances to win 50/50... Last pot for the Oilers game was $5.8-million... 

Not only does the team have problems, but they can't even get the site working.

The pot is crawling compared to previous draws, and they actually added more than double the available numbers.

If it worked well, the pot could be over $11m.

1 hour ago, travel_dude said:

Not only does the team have problems, but they can't even get the site working.

The pot is crawling compared to previous draws, and they actually added more than double the available numbers.

If it worked well, the pot could be over $11m.

Damn site is down.  Conspiracy.  Inside job.

Winning the lottery may be the only way to salvage this from being the Oilers fans worst nightmares so far.

• One more win and they would have been in the RR (I can think of a game that might have turned out different if someone didn't lose their mind, but at that time winning that game was less important than following "the code", or so it seemed).
  • Lose in the playin round to a team that really had to run the table to even have a shot making it
  • Flames advance, but not only that will go down as the first team to ever clinch a series in Rogers Place
  • Canucks advance
  • Taylor Hall wins a playoff series in Edmonton, playing on another team

Archived