2020 Nightmares...

Heartbreaker

Who'd you rather?!  

7 members have voted

1. 1. What's the worst case scenario?

• The Oilers lose to the Hawks, and win the draft lottery...
    • The Canucks play the Leafs in the Stanley Cup Final

1 hour ago, sak22 said:

Winning the lottery may be the only way to salvage this from being the Oilers fans worst nightmares so far.

• One more win and they would have been in the RR (I can think of a game that might have turned out different if someone didn't lose their mind, but at that time winning that game was less important than following "the code", or so it seemed).
  • Lose in the playin round to a team that really had to run the table to even have a shot making it
  • Flames advance, but not only that will go down as the first team to ever clinch a series in Rogers Place
  • Canucks advance
  • Taylor Hall wins a playoff series in Edmonton, playing on another team

to add to this, Flames also advanced behind the goalie that the Oilers ran out of town. Then they watched the replacements give them some of the worst goaltending in the play in. 

I'd find it absolutely hilarious if EDM picks first again.

Older Oiler fans got to celebrate the 5 cups, the new generation gets 5 lottery wins.

Funny enough, Lafreniere wouldn't move the needle too much in Edmonton. How do you improve the #1 PP? Lafreniere would also make it hard to justify keeping their best defensive forward, RNH.

They still won't win because the bottom half of their lineup is replacement level. I picked CHI to win that series, because I felt the bottom of their lineup was better. That ended up being the case. 

45 minutes ago, Thebrewcrew said:

I'd find it absolutely hilarious if EDM picks first again.

Older Oiler fans got to celebrate the 5 cups, the new generation gets 5 lottery wins.

Funny enough, Lafreniere wouldn't move the needle too much in Edmonton. How do you improve the #1 PP? Lafreniere would also make it hard to justify keeping their best defensive forward, RNH.

They still won't win because the bottom half of their lineup is replacement level. I picked CHI to win that series, because I felt the bottom of their lineup was better. That ended up being the case. 

I dunno, it could still be good for them. Apparently he is a two way player so having another one helps. It gives both Draisaitl and McDick two defensive forwards to play with and another possible game-breaker down the road. Though, they still need some D. 

or they can trade it to another team for a Top6 F, their 1st round pick and a Top4 D. And possibly another 1st round pick.

30 minutes ago, robrob74 said:

I dunno, it could still be good for them. Apparently he is a two way player so having another one helps. It gives both Draisaitl and McDick two defensive forwards to play with and another possible game-breaker down the road. Though, they still need some D. 

or they can trade it to another team for a Top6 F, their 1st round pick and a Top4 D. And possibly another 1st round pick.

How often do 1st overall selections get traded though? No team will offer enough to make it worth moving it.

Lafreniere might be very good, but he’s closer to a Taylor Hall than a McDavid in terms of quality of #1 selection. 

12 minutes ago, Thebrewcrew said:

How often do 1st overall selections get traded though? No team will offer enough to make it worth moving it.

Lafreniere might be very good, but he’s closer to a Taylor Hall than a McDavid in terms of quality of #1 selection. 

ya, but it sounds like he could be better than Hall, considering the two-way play. Although I could have underestimated Hall here. 
it also sounds like he has a motor and desire to win. If that’s the case then he could be up at a Marchand and Bergeron level. I think there are many players who will just work at getting better. 

Hall has won a Hart so it’s not like he was a slouch. I just question how much he worked to improve, and maybe he was just always really good. 

you look at the best and they continue to fix flaws in their games. I think it’s also leadership on a team and professionalism.

every player wants to win.

2 hours ago, robrob74 said:

ya, but it sounds like he could be better than Hall, considering the two-way play. Although I could have underestimated Hall here. 
it also sounds like he has a motor and desire to win. If that’s the case then he could be up at a Marchand and Bergeron level. I think there are many players who will just work at getting better. 

Hall has won a Hart so it’s not like he was a slouch. I just question how much he worked to improve, and maybe he was just always really good. 

you look at the best and they continue to fix flaws in their games. I think it’s also leadership on a team and professionalism.

For sure.

He might be better than Hall. I was more referring to Lafreniere as a Hall type, more-so than McDavid/Matthews.  I don't think he's a franchise changing talent. I kind of compare him to Andrei Svechnikov/Huberdeau

21 hours ago, robrob74 said:

Bergeron is a C, so I won't even go there.

Lafreniere is the type that would manufacture offense out of nothing.

Or so it seems.

He wouldn't help Draisaitl.

He might help McDavid, finally haveing a passing option.

That means Nuge is gone from the top line.

Lafreniere is not going to help McD without the puck.

That's still a trainwreck.

But, even though the NHL is not rigged I can't see anyway EDM, PITTS or TOR gets the pick.

It's not a logical assumption, but I just can't see it.

None of those teams getting the pick "grows" the sport in other markets.

It should end up with WPG, CBJ, NSH, or even FLA.

Nobody wants to see the pick go to EDM.

I think Lafreniere would be a huge help to the Oilers, which is why I don't want it to happen so I will disagree there. It gives them 1 of a few options IMO:

1. A player who can keep up with McDavid and thus force you to actually defend 2 players instead of focusing on 1. 

2. They could put Draistl and McDavid back together and create a 2nd line of Lafreniere - Nuge. 2 Dangerous lines

3. Lafreniere is so good that they could even give him his own line and force teams to prepare to defend 1 dynamic player on each line and just roll depth at you. 

While I agree he is not a McDavid level game changer, he is a franchise changing talent because he is going to force team to change how they defend and how they play because he is that good. Pretty scary to give the Oilers that when they already have 2, not to mention the cap gains it would give them for the next 3 years. 

1 hour ago, The_People1 said:

Congrats to the Rangers.

Funny they were the last team who needed a LW.  They have Panarin/Kreider for 7/8 years?  They need LD.

There goes the Gaudreau to the Rangers plan. No more need for LW.

how about we trade Valamaki or Hanifin & our 1st for Kreider and Kappo? 

Archived