Geoff Ward, Flames 18 th coach

tmac70

Pretty concerning article. Don't get me wrong you have to have by in and it starts in the defensive zone. I have no problem with that philosophy. 

But to hear him say how they played in the playoffs is the blueprint for how they want to play going forward is very concerning. Parts of it were good and stressing details in the defensive zone is much needed but if they plan to be that soft, conservative, collapse everything down to the middle team i think they are going to be in big trouble. Did not work for them in the playoffs so I really struggle why people seem to think it's a strategy worth building off of. 

for context, in the first round the Flames were bottom 6 or 7 in all major defensive categories and while it's easy to suggest how "close" the series was in certain areas, worth remember that at 5 on 5 Dallas ate the Flames alive in games 2 through 6. Fair to debate strategy vs execution as to what the primary problem was, but for me to suggest there is anything there that should be a blueprint is very concerning. 

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, cross16 said:

Pretty concerning article. Don't get me wrong you have to have by in and it starts in the defensive zone. I have no problem with that philosophy. 

But to hear him say how they played in the playoffs is the blueprint for how they want to play going forward is very concerning. Parts of it were good and stressing details in the defensive zone is much needed but if they plan to be that soft, conservative, collapse everything down to the middle team i think they are going to be in big trouble. Did not work for them in the playoffs so I really struggle why people seem to think it's a strategy worth building off of. 

I said the article was interesting...   and the sarcasm was intended...   I didn't say I agreed with it...   Parts of it made good sense, but other parts were definitely cause for concern...

re bolded:...   As I have mentioned before,,,   Sometimes Wardo fails to see problems that should be obvious...   and what is even worse, is even after  he thinks about it over a substantial period of time, he intentionally repeats the mistakes...

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, cross16 said:

for context, in the first round the Flames were bottom 6 or 7 in all major defensive categories and while it's easy to suggest how "close" the series was in certain areas, worth remember that at 5 on 5 Dallas ate the Flames alive in games 2 through 6. Fair to debate strategy vs execution as to what the primary problem was, but for me to suggest there is anything there that should be a blueprint is very concerning. 

These are valid concerns.

However I will mention, we actually did fare better against the eventual conference Champs better than we did last season against Colorado.

Sure it was only one game, but to me it looked as though we stood a greater chance of winning, as opposed to getting absolutely handled by the Avs in games 2-5. Less stretch pass, and more attention to detail is never a bad thing.

3 minutes ago, Sarasti said:

These are valid concerns.

However I will mention, we actually did fare better against the eventual conference Champs better than we did last season against Colorado.

Sure it was only one game, but to me it looked as though we stood a greater chance of winning, as opposed to getting absolutely handled by the Avs in games 2-5. Less stretch pass, and more attention to detail is never a bad thing.

This is fair and as I mentioned it's not all bad. Ward makes some valid points in the article and I'm a big believer that the Flames attention to detail needs to come up. It was for sure better in the playoffs and it's also not fair to put it all on Ward's strategy. Execution is more important than strategy and the Flames failure to execute cost them on multiple occasions in that series. 

What is also becoming concerning is I think too much credit is being given to the Flames for the Winnipeg series. Yes they won and yes they played pretty well but beating a not very good team that was short handed is not a great feat. If you put that aside and focus just on the Dallas series, while there were still positives, I don't think the needle moved as far as you'd like it to. 

1 hour ago, cross16 said:

This is fair and as I mentioned it's not all bad. Ward makes some valid points in the article and I'm a big believer that the Flames attention to detail needs to come up. It was for sure better in the playoffs and it's also not fair to put it all on Ward's strategy. Execution is more important than strategy and the Flames failure to execute cost them on multiple occasions in that series. 

What is also becoming concerning is I think too much credit is being given to the Flames for the Winnipeg series. Yes they won and yes they played pretty well but beating a not very good team that was short handed is not a great feat. If you put that aside and focus just on the Dallas series, while there were still positives, I don't think the needle moved as far as you'd like it to. 

my biggest issue is that they have used Johnny gaudreau as a primary player since day one.. He is not that inn my opinion.. he our.. Esa Tikkenen/ Our new Loob.. A Fleury without the fire.. He is a secondary player who.. put in the right situation.. will do well for us.. Then There is Manahan.. who shows as muchpassion as a robot.. The Phil Esposito of our 2020 team is a throwback to the center who rspends tomuchtim planted in the slot waiting for the perfect pass..  The third pairing defence has been a patch job for many seasons except this one.. Today.. it's non- existent

1 hour ago, Horsman1 said:

my biggest issue is that they have used Johnny gaudreau as a primary player since day one.. He is not that inn my opinion.. he our.. Esa Tikkenen/ Our new Loob.. A Fleury without the fire.. He is a secondary player who.. put in the right situation.. will do well for us.. Then There is Manahan.. who shows as muchpassion as a robot.. The Phil Esposito of our 2020 team is a throwback to the center who rspends tomuchtim planted in the slot waiting for the perfect pass..  The third pairing defence has been a patch job for many seasons except this one.. Today.. it's non- existent

Generally, your top producing forwards are your "primary" players.

They produce the most and get the most minutes.

Only 3 D-men exist that played the entire season here.

The 3rd pairing is up in the air; it's slated to be two of Valimaki, Nesterov, Kylington, Mackey.

Whether they use Tanev on the top pair or elsewhere, we are not the same.

4 hours ago, cross16 said:

for me, I think this says it. I don’t point to the Jets series at all as a measuring stick for this team as I feel like it will definitely shine them in a greater light. And I felt that Francis did a little of that in the article. There were positives in the Stars series but just not close enough to getting them over the hump and I think it is way too easy to point to the Stars making it to the Finals and say the Flames were beating the stars away from doing the same. 

in a typical year will the Stars have that easy of a ride to the Finals? A lot of things fell into place for them, much like they did for the Flames in the Jets series where key injuries made it easier. Albeit, injuries Happen in the playoffs. 

Sure, the Stars could’ve been beaten, but the Flames failed to play up to that level in order to beat them. They relied on good goaltending for the better part of the series and then like last year, the game that they look good in, the goaltending Satoshi Nakamoto the bed. 

I point to possibly one period of hockey where the Flames played like a team. I mean every line was going in that one period, which I believe a team needs to put together full games in order to win their way to the Cup Finals and give themselves a chance at a championship. I don’t think it’s often that a team can make it with only one line going throughout the whole playoffs. You can only get away with it so often, but eventually it bites you in the butt. 

they have the players, but for whatever reason, it’s either the wrong mix, or they just can’t put together a full effort for most of a game. Until they can play with effort consistently, I can’t see them as a contender. I think the talent is close to being there, but they’ve shown they’re not willing.

18 minutes ago, robrob74 said:

for me, I think this says it. I don’t point to the Jets series at all as a measuring stick for this team as I feel like it will definitely shine them in a greater light. And I felt that Francis did a little of that in the article. There were positives in the Stars series but just not close enough to getting them over the hump and I think it is way too easy to point to the Stars making it to the Finals and say the Flames were beating the stars away from doing the same. 

in a typical year will the Stars have that easy of a ride to the Finals? A lot of things fell into place for them, much like they did for the Flames in the Jets series where key injuries made it easier. Albeit, injuries Happen in the playoffs. 

Sure, the Stars could’ve been beaten, but the Flames failed to play up to that level in order to beat them. They relied on good goaltending for the better part of the series and then like last year, the game that they look good in, the goaltending Satoshi Nakamoto the bed. 

I point to possibly one period of hockey where the Flames played like a team. I mean every line was going in that one period, which I believe a team needs to put together full games in order to win their way to the Cup Finals and give themselves a chance at a championship. I don’t think it’s often that a team can make it with only one line going throughout the whole playoffs. You can only get away with it so often, but eventually it bites you in the butt. 

they have the players, but for whatever reason, it’s either the wrong mix, or they just can’t put together a full effort for most of a game. Until they can play with effort consistently, I can’t see them as a contender. I think the talent is close to being there, but they’ve shown they’re not willing.

It's tough to point to any one series and suggest it's a measuring stick.

We played Dallas and relied on goaltending keeping us in games.

Surprise, most NHL teams that go anywhere have that.

Dallas had it and so did TBL.

For me, the most concerning thing about the coach was a couple of odd coaching moments that decided two games.

One was leaving out a tired group to defend a one goal lead.

The second was the decision to not call a time out in the deciding game.

Whether it was a mistake to not call a timeout or leave in Talbot with no reset or for letting Rittich stay on the ice after his early struggle, ultimately it was a coaching moment.

There were some good things in the series and some bad things.

I don't think the series showed we know how to play the right way.

Top line being shut down 5v5, yet they were being trotted out to start in the D-zone.

Defensive zone miscues.

Take a big lead and not know how to even defend the pushback.

https://www.tsn.ca/yost-defencemen-have-changed-the-nhl-s-offensive-landscape-1.1559412

Travis Yost talks about how the defensemen have changed in the NHL and are more offensive-minded. Something that seems to have stunted the offence last year was that the D weren't as active as they were in the first half of the 2018-2019 season. I think it shows how the D really compliments the forwards we have when they support the offence a bit more than they did last year. For whatever reason, Giordano did a little less last season as he did the season before. It hurt his offence. Was that him, or was that coach asking to play a different game? He still tried, but he just wasn't effective. 

There needs to be flow from the D to enhance what the forwards are doing. I wonder how handcuffed a few of our guys are due to being required to play within the system? Could Hanifin use his speed more by getting deeper in the zone, or Kylington? To me they look like similar players. I am unsure if it's them trying to be safe and reliable defensively and holding back on what they could be good at, or if they're just lower in hockey IQ? To me, they just look tentative. 

I want to see D pinch to keep the offence going. As a player I am hyperaware of who's pinching and when to fall back to help the D, so I don't see why an NHL forward can't be just as aware. I don't know if the forwards support the D enough in those situations. We have the guns to create, why not be creative, and that can come from the D playing deeper in the zone and more fluidity in how the coaches implement the system. 

8 hours ago, robrob74 said:

https://www.tsn.ca/yost-defencemen-have-changed-the-nhl-s-offensive-landscape-1.1559412

Travis Yost talks about how the defensemen have changed in the NHL and are more offensive-minded. Something that seems to have stunted the offence last year was that the D weren't as active as they were in the first half of the 2018-2019 season. I think it shows how the D really compliments the forwards we have when they support the offence a bit more than they did last year. For whatever reason, Giordano did a little less last season as he did the season before. It hurt his offence. Was that him, or was that coach asking to play a different game? He still tried, but he just wasn't effective. 

There needs to be flow from the D to enhance what the forwards are doing. I wonder how handcuffed a few of our guys are due to being required to play within the system? Could Hanifin use his speed more by getting deeper in the zone, or Kylington? To me they look like similar players. I am unsure if it's them trying to be safe and reliable defensively and holding back on what they could be good at, or if they're just lower in hockey IQ? To me, they just look tentative. 

I want to see D pinch to keep the offence going. As a player I am hyperaware of who's pinching and when to fall back to help the D, so I don't see why an NHL forward can't be just as aware. I don't know if the forwards support the D enough in those situations. We have the guns to create, why not be creative, and that can come from the D playing deeper in the zone and more fluidity in how the coaches implement the system. 

ward has mentioned in many interviews since the end of the season how the Flames were adjusting to his new system and he felt they played pretty well to close out the season.. As fans.. we look directly to the bottom  win or lose line and make our concerns known about those results.. As Management.. They look at longer term goals and make their adjustments.. We have seen many changes since the season ended and I'm quite pleased with the caliber of player we have brought onboard.. Wards 1.1.1. 2 defensive system  as deployed by Tampa Bay will take some getting used to but hopefully a lot more productive than the current system which in crunch time seems to be.. every man for himself

3 hours ago, Horsman1 said:

ward has mentioned in many interviews since the end of the season how the Flames were adjusting to his new system and he felt they played pretty well to close out the season.. As fans.. we look directly to the bottom  win or lose line and make our concerns known about those results.. As Management.. They look at longer term goals and make their adjustments.. We have seen many changes since the season ended and I'm quite pleased with the caliber of player we have brought onboard.. Wards 1.1.1. 2 defensive system  as deployed by Tampa Bay will take some getting used to but hopefully a lot more productive than the current system which in crunch time seems to be.. every man for himself

ya, but for me, I am not looking at wins losses, but as how the team played as a whole. I don’t think they improved as greatly as some believe, even management. Them putting faith in their play is what concerns me. I see some improvements in their play but the fact they played so horrible with Peters to start the year, there was only one or two  ways to go from there. Either stay the same and be lotto or go up, for me the play got up to the point that it was mediocre. The win streak that Ward had to start the season saved the season. I think after that start they were just over .500. 

21 hours ago, robrob74 said:

ya, but for me, I am not looking at wins losses, but as how the team played as a whole. I don’t think they improved as greatly as some believe, even management. Them putting faith in their play is what concerns me. I see some improvements in their play but the fact they played so horrible with Peters to start the year, there was only one or two  ways to go from there. Either stay the same and be lotto or go up, for me the play got up to the point that it was mediocre. The win streak that Ward had to start the season saved the season. I think after that start they were just over .500. 

the eye test just doesn't seem to weigh in importance as it used to.. Loooking strickly at their numbers and the fact they were actually implementing a new system half way through the season.. I'm guessing management was pleased with where they were.. but yea.. i'm an old school guy that believes hockey is a blend of skilll and passion.. there was definitelyy a need for more passion

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Is there something I’m missing about Ward? I get he earned consideration for the job based on the turbulent year they went thru but have we forgotten what happen to this team against Dallas in the playoffs. It was an absolute embarrassment. I’m just trying to understand why that kind of a showing would instill confidence that your team is being coached by the right ppl?

2 hours ago, rickross said:

Is there something I’m missing about Ward? I get he earned consideration for the job based on the turbulent year they went thru but have we forgotten what happen to this team against Dallas in the playoffs. It was an absolute embarrassment. I’m just trying to understand why that kind of a showing would instill confidence that your team is being coached by the right ppl?

Here's my crazy thoughts.

The team has been twisted around by so many bad coaches over the last few years that I think the team is broken.

Are you going to trust the A/Coach that gets promoted after the last guy was fired/quit?

As that A/Coach tries to take over the room and instill his systems, he has to listen to the players.

Many of them don't even know at this point.

They have a frustrating end to the season that could be looked upon as a failure of the team and a failure to take action as a coach.

Then that same guy is given the job without any other interviews.

Maybe I am reading too much into the player only meeting, but it could be the start of the team working out the problems and getting the coach to buy into the ideas.

You can only preach if the player buy in.  Who knows.  The leaders aren;t getting it done on the ice.  Identify the things you shouldn;t be doing and move on.  

9 hours ago, travel_dude said:

Here's my crazy thoughts.

The team has been twisted around by so many bad coaches over the last few years that I think the team is broken.

Are you going to trust the A/Coach that gets promoted after the last guy was fired/quit?

As that A/Coach tries to take over the room and instill his systems, he has to listen to the players.

Many of them don't even know at this point.

They have a frustrating end to the season that could be looked upon as a failure of the team and a failure to take action as a coach.

Then that same guy is given the job without any other interviews.

Maybe I am reading too much into the player only meeting, but it could be the start of the team working out the problems and getting the coach to buy into the ideas.

You can only preach if the player buy in.  Who knows.  The leaders aren;t getting it done on the ice.  Identify the things you shouldn;t be doing and move on.  

Yeah it’s an interesting take , would make sense. You have to wonder if they’ve just been over coached to where they are numb to the X’s and O’s at this point. They’ve probably been hearing the same thing just being told through a different voice with our coaching carousel. It’s a tough one to figure out. Does this fall on Treliving for picking the wrong coaches? Is it the players who aren’t buying in or is the coaching simply ineffective?

Nothing against Ward, but from a Flames standpoint when you are only paying 900k for a coach, there's going to be limitations.

I know the Flames have never spent big on coaches.  It's just crazy to me that the going rate for an upper-tier coach is in the market of a middle 6 forward. Judging by what ownership is paying the bottom 6 of the Flames, you'd think they would feel like spending on a coach could be worth it. 

• Like 1

My biggest question with this coaching staff, is with the neutral zone and offensive blueline. We have seen the defense be super aggressive with their pinches at the blueline and in the neutral zone, and I am all for that. That being said if your defense is going to do that you need buy in from your forwards to cover, and to get back hard on every back check.

Right now this team is stt trying to figure out the right times to pinch and the forwards need to back then up every time not just some of the times.

The breakouts are another area of concern as too often the forwards all just blow the zone and are waiting at the offensive blueline, not giving the defense an outlet pass, leaving them to just dump it into the neutral zone. I am hoping that this is just early season rust and not a coaching philosophy, and that they will figure this out as the season goes.

41 minutes ago, rickross said:

Yeah it’s an interesting take , would make sense. You have to wonder if they’ve just been over coached to where they are numb to the X’s and O’s at this point. They’ve probably been hearing the same thing just being told through a different voice with our coaching carousel. It’s a tough one to figure out. Does this fall on Treliving for picking the wrong coaches? Is it the players who aren’t buying in or is the coaching simply ineffective?

See just from running organizations and coaching athletes there is a huge problem. Listen to the interviews press conferances, I think we should, we are not emotionally engaged, I think its encournaging. These are statements of a coach and players that are uncertian of who they are, what is required and how to do it, to me they have no why. As many have questioned the comments about idenity of this club its is true they do not have on. We use to be a hard club to play against, we are total opposite of that now. GG made mention that they are mentally soft and can not over come adversity. The problem is we still have  those same core guys and this is not good with pro athlete's. I have a groups of elite atheltes and it is not uncommon to have one that fights this but its disasterous when you have multiple.  IMHO you have a coach with a uncertain plan or vision complicated by no strategy. All of whcih creates the incosistancy we see today. Most coach will define factly on what they need from their group on how to play, never heard this come out of Wards mouth. 

2 hours ago, tmac70 said:

See just from running organizations and coaching athletes there is a huge problem. Listen to the interviews press conferances, I think we should, we are not emotionally engaged, I think its encournaging. These are statements of a coach and players that are uncertian of who they are, what is required and how to do it, to me they have no why. As many have questioned the comments about idenity of this club its is true they do not have on. We use to be a hard club to play against, we are total opposite of that now. GG made mention that they are mentally soft and can not over come adversity. The problem is we still have  those same core guys and this is not good with pro athlete's. I have a groups of elite atheltes and it is not uncommon to have one that fights this but its disasterous when you have multiple.  IMHO you have a coach with a uncertain plan or vision complicated by no strategy. All of whcih creates the incosistancy we see today. Most coach will define factly on what they need from their group on how to play, never heard this come out of Wards mouth. 

I made a big rant on the “who are the flames” and you summarized my point a lot better. I think that Ward had the ability to be a good coach and has good systems; Which is what makes him a great assistant coach. He lacks the in game ability to see a problem and make a change. I believe that he also lacks the strong presence to get in a players face and make a hard decision when it needs to be made. 
the problem with the second one, is I also don’t think we have a strong leadership group that can fill that void, which is why we need a coach who can grab this team by the bootstraps and get them ready to go to war. Ward isn’t that guy.

1 hour ago, pikey7883 said:

I made a big rant on the “who are the flames” and you summarized my point a lot better. I think that Ward had the ability to be a good coach and has good systems; Which is what makes him a great assistant coach. He lacks the in game ability to see a problem and make a change. I believe that he also lacks the strong presence to get in a players face and make a hard decision when it needs to be made. 
the problem with the second one, is I also don’t think we have a strong leadership group that can fill that void, which is why we need a coach who can grab this team by the bootstraps and get them ready to go to war. Ward isn’t that guy.

maybe we have had a few coaches lately who would make really good assistants. The last three haven’t done a lot of changes while coaching. Mind you, both Peters and Ward shuffle the lines a lot. But I don’t know if they ever changed strategies. A blender is fine as it can change energy if a team is down, or not moving their feet, but if the other team is defending the system they installed then we are ducked regardless of changing guys around. 

like in Montreal game, where in the system are guys going to the hard areas? Everyone plays to the outside and makes it really easy on the other goalie. We have possession but we don’t have very good chances and nothing gets into the middle. And the breakouts suck and guys are trying to do their own things. 

if the players only meeting was, let’s pay more attention to detail, maybe that is one part of it. For me, the other part is playing the 4th when trying to catch up with 6 min to play, or continuously playing Lucic in favour of guys who are getting things done or at least playing in a way that might. Plus having him on PP2.... 

also, I can believe they’ve not gone back to Lindholm on the left side on the PP yet. That was a lethal play on that goal he had it looked like an OV or Laine kind of PP set up. Maybe that is Johnny not wanting to go there and possibly continuing to T Monny up in the slot for a one-timer. But surely, Lindholm can pass from that spot... 

if it’s because Johnny doesn’t like it then it’s a bit selfish. 

19 minutes ago, robrob74 said:

maybe we have had a few coaches lately who would make really good assistants. The last three haven’t done a lot of changes while coaching. Mind you, both Peters and Ward shuffle the lines a lot. But I don’t know if they ever changed strategies. A blender is fine as it can change energy if a team is down, or not moving their feet, but if the other team is defending the system they installed then we are ducked regardless of changing guys around. 

like in Montreal game, where in the system are guys going to the hard areas? Everyone plays to the outside and makes it really easy on the other goalie. We have possession but we don’t have very good chances and nothing gets into the middle. And the breakouts suck and guys are trying to do their own things. 

if the players only meeting was, let’s pay more attention to detail, maybe that is one part of it. For me, the other part is playing the 4th when trying to catch up with 6 min to play, or continuously playing Lucic in favour of guys who are getting things done or at least playing in a way that might. Plus having him on PP2.... 

also, I can believe they’ve not gone back to Lindholm on the left side on the PP yet. That was a lethal play on that goal he had it looked like an OV or Laine kind of PP set up. Maybe that is Johnny not wanting to go there and possibly continuing to T Monny up in the slot for a one-timer. But surely, Lindholm can pass from that spot... 

if it’s because Johnny doesn’t like it then it’s a bit selfish. 

The guy in change of the PP may have made the change.  There were things to like and things to not like about the setup.

The most annoying change was moving Gio onto the top PP.

Actually, I have a big problem using him at all.

Not unless you actually have a D-man that can cover for him.

Mr. Broken Stick One-timer.

That's not the issue as much as being too slow if the line is broken.

I would prefer 

Tkachuk

Ras-Monahan-Gaudreau

Lindholm

That bring into play Ras one-timer from the Ovi spot.

The other setup that would work is swapping Lindholm with Ras.

Gives you the point shot.

Also, Ras is pretty good at the line.

As long as Lindholm is ready to cover if it's a missed pass.

2nd unit could be more traditional 2D setup.

Lucic-Backlund-Mangiapane

Hanifin-Valimaki

Hanifin or Valimaki activate down low.

Not both.

Lucic is only there for 2 foot goals and being in the face of the goalie.

Not ideal, but I just don't see anyone other than Dube that should be on that unit.

• 2 weeks later...

Pretty good article that breaks down what is wrong with the flames and in particular their breakouts. Really highlights what some have been saying in that Ward has this team playing the wrong way. Also shows why it’s getting easier and easier to shut down their breakouts. 

what is really frustrating is they have many periods this season where they play exactly how this guy suggests. They activate d, the layer their breakout, they go east west etc. for reasons I cannot understand they don’t seek to stick to it. 

https://jmalloryhockey.substack.com/p/the-flames-have-been-doused-cgy-needs

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, cross16 said:

Pretty good article that breaks down what is wrong with the flames and in particular their breakouts. Really highlights what some have been saying in that Ward has this team playing the wrong way. Also shows why it’s getting easier and easier to shut down their breakouts. 

what is really frustrating is they have many periods this season where they play exactly how this guy suggests. They activate d, the layer their breakout, they go east west etc. for reasons I cannot understand they don’t seek to stick to it. 

Last night was an exercise in patience to watch. The fact the team was getting vastly outshot early and the PP attack was non-existent yet it looks like no adjustments were made is concerning. Much like pervious seasons there seems to be an inability to adjust to the play of the game. I'm not a coach or even pretend to know better than most others but even I could see that the Nucks were making the neutral zone a wasteland and basically shutting down the bump back PP attack then there needs to be a plan B.

36 minutes ago, cross16 said:

Great article. 

This team is frustrating because I am not sure I have seen them play the same way two games in a row. I don't know if it's the players that change the way they play or if it is coaching that is changing systems to try and match up against other teams. 

37 minutes ago, cross16 said:

That's where I am having the most doubts about this team.

Is it coaching which suggests the tactics most used are the ones we practice.

Is it execution, where we have the tactics but fall into the trap of playing a style dictated by the other team.

It's had to tell from Ward's comments.  He suggests we weren't skating.  Maybe, but I saw a lot of bigger issues than just that.