Geoff Ward, Flames 18 th coach

tmac70

Now that the Peters events are over with, time to start a new. Welcome and all the best to Geoff Ward. Can safely say I no very little of the man, but he has a monumental task ahead. If I am not mistaken he has run our PP which we all know is one of the leagues worst at present. Anyone have any insight on Ward? 

Just now, tmac70 said:

Now that the Peters events are over with, time to start a new. Welcome and all the best to Geoff Ward. Can safely say I no very little of the man, but he has a monumental task ahead. If I am not mistaken he has run our PP which we all know is one of the leagues worst at present. Anyone have any insight on Ward? 

No real insight, in fact probably far less than most on this board but I believe this is the best option.  Between him, Gelinas, and Conroy, no one else know the room better than those 3. Maybe we'll see different line combos, special teams and a different look to the teams overall game.  Hopefully for the better and this may answer the question if they just quit playing for Peters or if the teams issues run deeper.

2 minutes ago, flames-fan-in-jets-land said:

No real insight, in fact probably far less than most on this board but I believe this is the best option.  Between him, Gelinas, and Conroy, no one else know the room better than those 3. Maybe we'll see different line combos, special teams and a different look to the teams overall game.  Hopefully for the better and this may answer the question if they just quit playing for Peters or if the teams issues run deeper.

I for one think the issues were not coaching personal, but time hopefully proves me wrong. 

A bit of a write up on Ward. He's got a cool background and has had head coaching success at multiple levels and won a championship in the German Hockey League. Many may remember he was a finalist when the Flames hired Gulutzan. Buzz seems to be that players like him. 

I saw some good changes right away in he Buffalo game so I'm hoping more come. Peters was turning this team into a low event, grind it out style that doesn't really fit them. Need to get some off the rush looks happening, more pressure in transition and get the D back involved. That and hopefully he brings some fresh ideas to the line combos and maybe he wont' have some of the same bias that Peters had. Every coach is a little different. 

I'd be surprised if he's a long term option though. I suspect it will remain an interim situation. 

https://calgarysun.com/sports/hockey/nhl/calgary-flames/geoff-ward-the-obvious-choice-for-flames-head-coach

The PP concerns me.  He ran a relatively poor one in NJ I think, and came over to bring it here.  We got by last year on high shooting percentages and parking Tkatchuk in front of the net.  Still bugs me they moved away from that, given how poor we've been under the current set up.

Anyway, still the most logical choice for the moment.  Huge task ahead, and I agree with tmac in that I'm not convinced coaching was the problem.  Time will tell though, and a fresh start can only help at this point.

4 hours ago, cross16 said:

A bit of a write up on Ward. He's got a cool background and has had head coaching success at multiple levels and won a championship in the German Hockey League. Many may remember he was a finalist when the Flames hired Gulutzan. Buzz seems to be that players like him. 

I saw some good changes right away in he Buffalo game so I'm hoping more come. Peters was turning this team into a low event, grind it out style that doesn't really fit them. Need to get some off the rush looks happening, more pressure in transition and get the D back involved. That and hopefully he brings some fresh ideas to the line combos and maybe he wont' have some of the same bias that Peters had. Every coach is a little different. 

I'd be surprised if he's a long term option though. I suspect it will remain an interim situation. 

https://calgarysun.com/sports/hockey/nhl/calgary-flames/geoff-ward-the-obvious-choice-for-flames-head-coach

Sometimes any change can be good.

Give the PP to someone else.

It's not working.

I don;t expect to see too many line changes right now.

Too many distractions to implement wholesale changes.

Saying that, the Flames have 4 days off after the SENS game.

Some of that is probably mandated days off, but they should have plenty of time to evaluate new ideas.

Logical choice given the circumstances. In 20 games time we will have a good idea how Ward commands the team. I have no reason to believe that he will be the weak link in the event of a failed season. I think Ward is a good hockey man, when he talks hockey I listen because he appears to have an understanding of the game. He either has the tools at his disposal or he doesn’t. 

With regards to Ward's PP, the zone entries aren’t bad, I find them somewhat refreshing (other than Gio’s predictable and terrible drop pass through coverage to JHG, hate it). Once in the ozone we just get out worked when defending teams apply puck pressure, can’t blame the coach for that.

In 20 games time we will also hit 294 cumulative games coached between Gully, Peters and Ward. That happens to match the games coached by none other than the Jack Adams winner prior to them who was fired for dwelling on the positives and throwing the negatives in the trash can...while still having a year on his contract to boot. (save the Hartley insults ppl, we’ve seen them all already.

All the best Ward, we are counting on you.

After the game against Ottawa on Saturday they don't play again till Thursday, so lots of practice time to implement new ideas or new line combos.

I think the hardest part of taking over mid season, is that you can't make whole sale changes. You have to pick your spots to make changes.

I think the biggest thing is trying to get the players to loosen up. The first 25 games or so this team looked miserable. Hopefully this change can get the team out of the rut they are in.

See how the team responds.

I am expecting the team to respond in positive way that is quite common after a coaching change...   What is more in question is how long it will last with Ward as head coach, hopefully it will last, and not just be a short term improvement in meeting expectations...

Odds are we will see an overall upgrade in performance, and hopefully that includes point production from the top 6 forwards...

Not trying to sound cliche, but there is no other way to put it, and after 25 games it was really starting to look like Peters had lost the room...   He's gone now, so it is up to every player on the team to show us that they are willing to show up and give their best effort each and every game...

That said, this is Wards big chance to show us what he's got, and I wish him well and hope that he capitalizes on the opportunity and helps the team to turn the corner back onto the right path...

1 hour ago, Carty said:

Not trying to sound cliche, but there is no other way to put it, and after 25 games it was really starting to look like Peters had lost the room...   He's gone now, so it is up to every player on the team to show us that they are willing to show up and give their best effort each and every game...

I don't think it's cliche at all.

As much as I have supported BP for the results he was able to achieve last year, it hasn't worked this year.

Frustration was there the end of the season.

It got worse.

There are simple things Wardo can do that don;t take a lot.

Don't assume that a role player needs to take a bigger role, just because he's able to handle it.

Lucic is fine for about 10 minutes, but after that he's slowing down the line.

Give some trust to those that eeked out decent seasons last year.

Work on the most inept part of the game to start; PP.

The idea of using Tkachik on the wall is dumb.

Gio is okay, but he's not generating anything positive.

Two things there; role players and PP.

Beyond that, he has to look at 5v5 to see what's not working.

Power vs power is fine, if the top line is clicking, but asking them to sacrifice offense to prevent goals is like holding a 1-0 lead in the 3rd.

We aren't scoring this way and we have last change for the next three games.

What is really frustrating is we have the same core that has been through 3 coaches now. Harltey was to hard, GG was to soft and Peters wins division title but this year was to hard ... How about the players bear some responsibility. Hartley had the right attitude Earned never Given, but that proved to be to difficult. We are in a bubble wrap society and this club is a perfect example of that. Your letting the inmates run the asylum....Blockchain me we have the same core and same issues for 4 years 3 coaches but its always the the conductor of the band never the people playing the music. If this club doesn't respond in a favourable manner in the next 10-15 games Tre needs to be removed and the poison that is in the room. Enough with the revolving door of coaches, It worse than EDM

1 hour ago, tmac70 said:

What is really frustrating is we have the same core that has been through 3 coaches now. Harltey was to hard, GG was to soft and Peters wins division title but this year was to hard ... How about the players bear some responsibility. Hartley had the right attitude Earned never Given, but that proved to be to difficult. We are in a bubble wrap society and this club is a perfect example of that. Your letting the inmates run the asylum....Blockchain me we have the same core and same issues for 4 years 3 coaches but its always the the conductor of the band never the people playing the music. If this club doesn't respond in a favourable manner in the next 10-15 games Tre needs to be removed and the poison that is in the room. Enough with the revolving door of coaches, It worse than EDM

When you look up and down the lineup, do you see some problems with line design?

Any issues with last change advantage not being used properly?

Any issues with Bennett playing little minutes and Lucic on the PP?

Forget about last year.

It's not the same team.

He coached the offense out of the top line.

JTech brought this up in another thread, but imo Conroy is on the bench strictly so management can figure out what is going on and out some pressure on the players. I think the organization has had enough of the blame the coach idea. 

there were some things going on I didn’t like, but If the players were tuning him out I would agree the finger needs to point to the players. That’s ridiculous after a 50 win season. 

There are potential some veteran coaches that might come available in the offseason. 

Jon Cooper

Peter Laviolette 

Rick Tochett (doubtful but apparently his contract ends this year)

Paul Maurice 

Torts 

Boudreau 

Flames would be wise to wait. Maybe Ward is a find but don’t rush it. 

This is a smart move. It lets the coaching staff get together and come up with a plan of attack and the players can just get away from the rink a for a couple of days.

I would think that Ward would like to have a couple of days to game plan with the other coaches.

Congrats to Wardo for his 1st W as Flames HC. It’s almost a new season at this point, some good and bad in today’s game but man we needed a win after a week like that. 

Top line needs a change up, I don’t believe the Flames should keep up a “top line” mentality. We need to roll 4 lines, whichever line is getting it done that night is the top line. For too long we’ve relied on 2-3 ppl to carry the offence of an entire team. When they don’t score we lose. Time to rid the team of that philosophy and make defence and offence an equal accountability across the team. 

9 hours ago, rickross said:

Congrats to Wardo for his 1st 2nd W as Flames HC. It’s almost a new season at this point, some good and bad in today’s game but man we needed a win after a week like that. 

Top line needs a change up, I don’t believe the Flames should keep up a “top line” mentality. We need to roll 4 lines, whichever line is getting it done that night is the top line. For too long we’ve relied on 2-3 ppl to carry the offence of an entire team. When they don’t score we lose. Time to rid the team of that philosophy and make defence and offence an equal accountability across the team. 

I think we can give him credit for the BUF win as well.