Geoff Ward, Flames 18 th coach

tmac70

34 minutes ago, robrob74 said:

I think it’s too early to tell. GG looked great in the first year and the second year he looked like Satoshi Nakamoto. Same with most of the first year with peters. 

That’s my biggest concern with bringing back Ward. This more a personnel issue than coaching, but the team tunes their coaches out after a season. At least that’s what it looks like from the outside, noticeable dips in play from year 1, to year 2, regardless of coaching. Can’t trade everyone unfortunately. 

Ward will probably end up with the job though. I just look at it as BT’s last hire and if I was him, I wouldn’t love hitching my wagon to Ward

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Thebrewcrew said:

That’s my biggest concern with bringing back Ward. This more a personnel issue than coaching, but the team tunes their coaches out after a season. At least that’s what it looks like from the outside, noticeable dips in play from year 1, to year 2, regardless of coaching. Can’t trade everyone unfortunately. 

Ward will probably end up with the job though. I just look at it as BT’s last hire and if I was him, I wouldn’t love hitching my wagon to Ward

plus, BT has seemed to be very loyal to his guys.

17 hours ago, Thebrewcrew said:

I think that's the big thing I'm noticing with Ward . He has no favourites

Hartley got tuned out cuz apparently he was essentially a bully.. 

GG played extreme favourites.. and stuck with what didn't work to an obsessive level.. (Brouwer, TJ split from Gio..etc)

In his short time , BP definitely had his favorites and once in the doghouse You were stapled there .. Neal did himself no favors , but he was never going to see top line duty under BP no matter how much it struggled .. Lucic was ready to retire .. 

I've noticed with Ward there is no favourites. People say he shuffles too much..but he's also learned what every player can do in every situation. He's not afraid to bruise an ego and out Johnny in the 3rd line .. break up the top line , mix pairings .

Backlund asked to go back to center , he did it ..but got rewarded .. Bennett wanted to play center.. he did it ..but got rewarded .

I see a coach that isn't afraid to take input from his players so long as they produce when given the opportunity.

I don't see any players not getting an opportunity under Ward. He only asks for accountability.. that creates long term buy in. It also creates a situation where when he does say "my way".. players don't question it.

I see a much longer runway for accountability and no triggers to tune him out anytime soon 

11 hours ago, phoenix66 said:

I think that's the big thing I'm noticing with Ward . He has no favourites

Hartley got tuned out cuz apparently he was essentially a bully.. 

GG played extreme favourites.. and stuck with what didn't work to an obsessive level.. (Brouwer, TJ split from Gio..etc)

In his short time , BP definitely had his favorites and once in the doghouse You were stapled there .. Neal did himself no favors , but he was never going to see top line duty under BP no matter how much it struggled .. Lucic was ready to retire .. 

I've noticed with Ward there is no favourites. People say he shuffles too much..but he's also learned what every player can do in every situation. He's not afraid to bruise an ego and out Johnny in the 3rd line .. break up the top line , mix pairings .

Backlund asked to go back to center , he did it ..but got rewarded .. Bennett wanted to play center.. he did it ..but got rewarded .

I see a coach that isn't afraid to take input from his players so long as they produce when given the opportunity.

I don't see any players not getting an opportunity under Ward. He only asks for accountability.. that creates long term buy in. It also creates a situation where when he does say "my way".. players don't question it.

I see a much longer runway for accountability and no triggers to tune him out anytime soon 

All good points, but let's face it, they were bad coaches for the most part.

What Ward has to be evaluated on is what his record was, what he did in-game to adjust, and what he did after a game to adjust.

Was his record due to the new coach bump?

The team breathed a sigh of relief after the BP fiasco.

In-game I felt he didn't make smart decisions.

It wasn't just the playoffs that the top line was getting more D-zone starts or playing top lines.

After a loss, he was ok.

No throwing playes under the bus, but demand better in practices.

Some of the healthy scratches and players given a game were curious at best.

It took till when that Bennett was played at center?

2 hours ago, travel_dude said:

All good points, but let's face it, they were bad coaches for the most part.

What Ward has to be evaluated on is what his record was, what he did in-game to adjust, and what he did after a game to adjust.

Was his record due to the new coach bump?

The team breathed a sigh of relief after the BP fiasco.

In-game I felt he didn't make smart decisions.

It wasn't just the playoffs that the top line was getting more D-zone starts or playing top lines.

After a loss, he was ok.

No throwing playes under the bus, but demand better in practices.

Some of the healthy scratches and players given a game were curious at best.

It took till when that Bennett was played at center?

And I  thought Bennett looked like a C when he played the 3 or 4 games in the season. He didn’t keep him there. 

it really only took Ryan being unfit to play to play Bennett in that spot because I think there was really no other choice. He lucked out that Ryan was unfit and actually recognized that Benny could play there. 

all the right things were said. Players have the chance to make an impression. He ended up going back to Ryan even though it was obvious Benny was the right choice. Luckily for us he noticed too. But for me, you just keep together what is working.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, ABC923 said:

I actually like Ward, but for me it comes down to the caliber of available coaches right now. Sure Ward is good enough, but why should we settle if we have a shot at one of the best?

It takes two to tango, they have to want to come here. That being said, you're right, a guy like Laviolette is going to be a hall of fame head coach, if I was an owner I'd really try and land a guy like that. 

I like Ward in a rebuild environment.  The players like him.  Players have commented on how they've all become closer because of him.  Ward is willing to play Bennett at Center.  He is great for team morale.

If we are trying to win the Cup however, then I think we need a new guy in there.  We need a veteran who has been to the big show before.

On 9/10/2020 at 12:30 AM, The_People1 said:

I like Ward in a rebuild environment.  The players like him.  Players have commented on how they've all become closer because of him.  Ward is willing to play Bennett at Center.  He is great for team morale.

If we are trying to win the Cup however, then I think we need a new guy in there.  We need a veteran who has been to the big show before.

He has been . Won a cup with the Bruins . No he wasn't the head coach but assistant coaches play a big role as well.

Left them to coach in Europe ,  won coach of the year and a championship.

Returned as an assistant in NJ..  they made the playoffs and Taylor Hall won the Hart..

Success follows this guy and he plays a part in it ..

Again, I would love Laviolette, 3 different teams to the finals puts you in the hall of fame .. but if you only value head coach experience in the finals then Babcock is your only other choice 

This guy(Ward) is a winner..period 

3 hours ago, tmac70 said:

No surprise.... another season of below average. The sad part is the hrad work is there but this orginaziation lacks compete

I doubt it’s as bad as the mid-to-late 90’s but for some reason it feels like it. The same ol bottom of the barrel coaches. The team is better but, I just don’t see the compete there, like you said. 

need better coaching and a response to strategy in games. Then there’s motivation.

GG had the beer on the bus or plane or whatever. BP lost them halfway last year. GW had his dance music practices. How often can that work? What can he do next year if he loses the room when the effort dies?

6 hours ago, robrob74 said:

I doubt it’s as bad as the mid-to-late 90’s but for some reason it feels like it. The same ol bottom of the barrel coaches. The team is better but, I just don’t see the compete there, like you said. 

need better coaching and a response to strategy in games. Then there’s motivation.

GG had the beer on the bus or plane or whatever. BP lost them halfway last year. GW had his dance music practices. How often can that work? What can he do next year if he loses the room when the effort dies?

If the hire of Ward becomes official, it starts the clock on Treliving. 

I just can't see Ward lasting any longer as the Flames coach than Gulutzan. It would be disappointing to miss out on some of the big name coaches, but we don't know if they would even come here. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, robrob74 said:

That's more on the players than coaching. This team has had how many coaches in how many years? Maybe a little bit of stability in the coaching and a little more onus on the players when things dont go right is what this team needs. 

• Like 1

I’ve always thought it was going to be Ward and I think the fact that it’s out there they the flames cut payroll 20% makes it a certainty. Hard to justify going after a high profile and expensive coach after you do that. 
Probably even leading to a tough negotiation with Ward 

16 minutes ago, cross16 said:

I’ve always thought it was going to be Ward and I think the fact that it’s out there they the flames cut payroll 20% makes it a certainty. Hard to justify going after a high profile and expensive coach after you do that. 

ward will also be lucky to have a job so it’ll be fair for both sides.

54 minutes ago, cross16 said:

I missed that one..were they one of the teams listed as cutting payroll?  I knew the Penguins were 

5 minutes ago, cross16 said:

as a head coach maybe but he’d very likely be in high demand for Asst/assoc coach jobs. 

ya, I just wonder with the state of the league and owners wanting to save, how many teams would be hiring assistants? Maybe only those making a coaching change 

8 minutes ago, cross16 said:

Bottlom of this article. 20% reduction effective Sept 1st

does not mention their player payroll just their employees

i think the fact that players salary is tied to cap, they would be evening out the split between owners and players over however many years it takes. Plus, how much do players have to pay back in escrow?

isnt that the whole reason Panarin doesn’t want to play next year?

4 minutes ago, robrob74 said:

i think the fact that players salary is tied to cap, they would be evening out the split between owners and players over however many years it takes. Plus, how much do players have to pay back in escrow?

yes players are going to take a “reduction” via escrow so this is essentially jist extending that to the rest of their employees. 

what isn’t know is if the flames plan to reduce their player spending or their cap budget. I believe that is what Phoenix was referring to as there are some rumors of other teams cutting not just employee salaries but reducing their cap spending too. 

9 minutes ago, robrob74 said:

Makes sense .

Also, should be interesting to see how players who may have a high cap hit, but low actual salary factor into movement 

Like Lucic has a $6m hit not including what the Oilers kept . But his actual salary is only $3.5 this year 

A player lo ik Getzlaf only gets $1M this year..  etc.. 

You may see more teams that need to spend for cap give things up to get players like this 

• Like 1