2019-2020 Training Camp

cross16

• Replies 497
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, JTech780 said:

I wonder if it is down to a 4th line role or going back to Stockton, that Stockton might be the best bet for Dube, especially if he still has parts of his game that need to be ironed out.

Rieder is capable of playing on the 4th line and playing both wings. He also is an effective penalty killer.

That's a pretty reasonable take on this.

If we are going solely on work ethic, chances had, and relative fit, Rieder has to be up there.

Roster decisions will come down to Dube, Czarnik, Quine and Czarnik.  Maybe Rinaldo for a 14th forward, since he would seldom play.

Tonight's 4th line seems to be two guys battling to stay on the roster; Dube and Czarnik.

More consistency from Dube, and more than just scoring chances for Czarnik.

The same goes for Kylington.

1 hour ago, cross16 said:

Was one of the top 3 prospects. Not sure how that fit in with the regular team as normally they split those results out. 

Apparently Gio was number 1 on the team again, followed by Reider.  Pretty good attitude and work ethic for a guy who was blamed by his previous GM for the team missing the playoffs.  If he can find his scoring touch again, 10-15 goals are reasonable I think.

Reider is a fine player I just wish they were targeting someone else for their 4th line. I don't like the fit personally unless the Flames have plans to perhaps move Frolik when Tkachuk signs, but the fact he's been stapled to Backlund in the preseason make me believe that isn't going to happen. 

52 minutes ago, cross16 said:

Reider is a fine player I just wish they were targeting someone else for their 4th line. I don't like the fit personally unless the Flames have plans to perhaps move Frolik when Tkachuk signs, but the fact he's been stapled to Backlund in the preseason make me believe that isn't going to happen. 

As a fourth liner he has the speed to be energy and PK guy, but does he have the physical side? 

I find the Flames’ focus to be off. We want to have a physical old school enforcer but have a lot of smaller players.... then try to play up to the physicality of teams that bring it. 

We hit, aren’t push overs in that sense, but not as effective. 

Not everyone one sees a need for that on the 4th though. 

10 minutes ago, robrob74 said:

As a fourth liner he has the speed to be energy and PK guy, but does he have the physical side? 

I find the Flames’ focus to be off. We want to have a physical old school enforcer but have a lot of smaller players.... then try to play up to the physicality of teams that bring it. 

We hit, aren’t push overs in that sense, but not as effective. 

Not everyone one sees a need for that on the 4th though. 

Was there many games where we were lost because we weren;t physical enough last year?

If anything, I think the team overreacted to teams by subbing in heavy players and trying to play gritty.

I felt speed was lacking last year, at times.

Not so much skating as speed while moving the puck.

PP was stagnant because they got set up and just moved the puck, not the pieces.

We tended to have trouble against trap teams, not just because those teams tended to be physical.

Good way to defeat the trap is to chip the puck past them and skate past them.

34 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

Was there many games where we were lost because we weren;t physical enough last year?

If anything, I think the team overreacted to teams by subbing in heavy players and trying to play gritty.

I felt speed was lacking last year, at times.

Not so much skating as speed while moving the puck.

PP was stagnant because they got set up and just moved the puck, not the pieces.

We tended to have trouble against trap teams, not just because those teams tended to be physical.

Good way to defeat the trap is to chip the puck past them and skate past them.

I think there were a lot of games we won despite slow starts and comebacks so we had no choice. 

Something i I want from the 4th line is the ability to create momentum when the team loses it. 

We found that the team had a really tough time of gaining anything in the playoffs. 

55 minutes ago, robrob74 said:

I think there were a lot of games we won despite slow starts and comebacks so we had no choice. 

Something i I want from the 4th line is the ability to create momentum when the team loses it. 

We found that the team had a really tough time of gaining anything in the playoffs. 

Just me, but I thought we played slow against COL.

If your PP is predictable and doesn;t move around much.

If you have triuble entering the zone with speed.

If your D backs of and lets the team come at them.

You lose a lot of games.

1 minute ago, JTech780 said:

Flames are playing sloppy to start the game tonight. No flow to their game. They are making soft plays with the puck, and are looking indecisive.

Yes, they look tentative at times.

The first two minutes of the PP were the Flames bets minutes.

The rest has been bobble a pass, try to carry through two guys, pass away a good chance....

Lucic had one of the better chances, so that's saying something.

Bennett is invisible do far.

Dube has been okay, just not gettng any room.

The D has been mostly good, maybe a little bit of timing issues.

No real glaring errors.

See Rittich stopped all 16 shots...yes in pre season, Talbot can’t stop a beach ball, money waisted I’d rather have Parsons backing up Rittich 

i took flak for mentioning this but if Talbot cannot get his head in the game and at least make an effort even in preseason like Rittich (basically be a pro) then he’s the same old Talbot as in Phi...which is to say, a waist of money 

12 minutes ago, MP5029 said:

See Rittich stopped all 16 shots...yes in pre season, Talbot can’t stop a beach ball, money waisted I’d rather have Parsons backing up Rittich 

i took flak for mentioning this but if Talbot cannot get his head in the game and at least make an effort even in preseason like Rittich (basically be a pro) then he’s the same old Talbot as in Phi...which is to say, a waist of money 

That's bit of an overreaction from preseason. Rittich was terrible last preseason as well. 

Just now, kehatch said:

That's bit of an overreaction from preseason. Rittich was terrible last preseason as well. 

No I disagree, he’s not being professional, kinda a mailing in the pre season, which is a poor approach, especially considering his season last year you would reasonably expect him to want to show he can do it...at this point I have serious doubts, and think it will be the same Talbot that Phi got.

I’m usually right about these things, but hopefully I eat my words on this..i will be very happy to be completely wrong about this 😊

19 minutes ago, MP5029 said:

No I disagree, he’s not being professional, kinda a mailing in the pre season, which is a poor approach, especially considering his season last year you would reasonably expect him to want to show he can do it...at this point I have serious doubts, and think it will be the same Talbot that Phi got.

I’m usually right about these things, but hopefully I eat my words on this..i will be very happy to be completely wrong about this 😊

This is an overreaction to preseason play regardless of how Talbot does in the preseason. The list of goalies that played poorly in the preseason and were fine in the regular season isn't a short one. 

I am not defending Talbot or predicting he is going to nail it in thrle regular season. But you can't judge a goalie preseason when they are playing behind a mishmash roster in meaningless games. 

36 minutes ago, MP5029 said:

Rittich played behind a full NHL roster against a mostly AHL roster, Talbot played behind an AHL + Brodie against the Jets top 6. Not a fair comparison. The last game Talbot played well, he was a victim of poor defensive play and bad bounces.

5 hours ago, MP5029 said:

Not saying that Talbot is Price, but there was a time that Montreal fans wanted Price’s head on a platter after a terrible preseason. Although I get the need to see more from him, I will reserve judgement until the team is a few games into the season, after about his 5th start or after that. 

I am not not happy with how the Flames find their goalies, but I think they have done a decent job of finding a few under a rock... hoping we figured this out for a bit. 

But I still get the apprehension on our goalie situation because it is still far from solved. 

1 hour ago, JTech780 said:

Interesting lines at practice.

Obviously, this is setting up for the Sharks game.

One last game for Quine and Rieder to convince BP they should be on the opening night roster (or at least 13/14th F).

I don't know that Rinaldo gets a deal or not, but if he does he will be starting the season in Stockton.

I doubt DSP gets a NHL deal.

16 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

Obviously, this is setting up for the Sharks game.

One last game for Quine and Rieder to convince BP they should be on the opening night roster (or at least 13/14th F).

I don't know that Rinaldo gets a deal or not, but if he does he will be starting the season in Stockton.

I doubt DSP gets a NHL deal.

DSP has been disappointingly awful.  Guys on PTOs should be working their butts off over the summer to try and earn a job.  Rieder has done that, I'm sure someone will give him a contract even if it isn't us.  DSP looks washed up.

Archived