Lucic for Neal Trade

ABC923

57 minutes ago, ABC923 said:

I'm actually pretty confident we will get that third round pick.  Neal will very likely play with McD, he will be potting more goals this year.  It isn't a stretch to see him score 20 again, but Looch is unlikely to pot more than 10.  With that being said, Neal likely would not have played top 6 in Calgary, so if he stayed it was unlikely he would get more than ten next year himself.  Even if he rejuvenates next season with Edmonton, we need to keep in mind the same thing might not have happened here, and both teams may be better off now than they were a week ago.

Possible Neal scores 20 but mostly on the PP, not on 5-on-5.  Neal will not be able to keep up full time.

Again, PP with McDavid is what allowed Chiasson to score 22-goals and extend for $2.1 x 2.  What do they have with Chiasson if Neal replaces him?  Pretty much a 5-goal scorer.  

The Oilers are back to where they started.

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply
23 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

Possible Neal scores 20 but mostly on the PP, not on 5-on-5.  Neal will not be able to keep up full time.

Again, PP with McDavid is what allowed Chiasson to score 22-goals and extend for $2.1 x 2.  What do they have with Chiasson if Neal replaces him?  Pretty much a 5-goal scorer.  

The Oilers are back to where they started.

I don't know how much Chaisson played with McDavid after January 9th, but he got a huge amount of points prior.  Kassian took over his spot after then I believe.

3 hours ago, The_People1 said:

I think too much is being made of this nothing trade.  Neither players will make a big impact.  Zero expectations for both players.

3 hours ago, The_People1 said:

At work today, lots of Oilers fans thanking us for taking Lucic.  Either, we totally lost this trade or they have no idea how bad James Neal has become.

Agree on both counts. It's kind of a funny trade because both sides are sort of saying thank you. Sure some Flames fans are concerend about the bounce back but most I know are thankful Neal is gone just not thrilled it's Lucic coming back. 

I see the rationale behind the deal and I see why Treliving made it and i'm comfortable with the reasons but at the end of the day the firestorm this is creating is so silly. I don't see upside in this trade for either side and I suspect it will not amount to much except fans get to swap people they complain about. Oiler fans may get to brag again in a few seasons when they buyout Neal but that's the only upside I see (and even then using "upside" isn't accurate). 

1 hour ago, cross16 said:

Agree on both counts. It's kind of a funny trade because both sides are sort of saying thank you. Sure some Flames fans are concerend about the bounce back but most I know are thankful Neal is gone just not thrilled it's Lucic coming back. 

I see the rationale behind the deal and I see why Treliving made it and i'm comfortable with the reasons but at the end of the day the firestorm this is creating is so silly. I don't see upside in this trade for either side and I suspect it will not amount to much except fans get to swap people they complain about. Oiler fans may get to brag again in a few seasons when they buyout Neal but that's the only upside I see (and even then using "upside" isn't accurate). 

What is Lucic owed now $16m?

Neal is owed $23m.

After this season it drops to 13 and 17.25 trspectively.

And in July it drops to 10m owed.

If they have to buy him out, the payout is smaller in CGY; only the cap hit hurts.

I'm hoping to have Lucic in the playoffs for one year at least.

It might help us.

The alternative was hoping Neal could come back and disappear again in the playoffs.

The NMC thing is real, but trivial at best right now.  

Many ways out of it.

He could be asked to waive, in which case the worst that could gappen is he goes to a team that will need him.

Best case is it allows the Flames to retain all their good players and Lucic stays with a winner.

They could also buy him out in two years.

There could also be a lockout with the inevittable freebe buyout.

Or they ask him to waive and trade to have Seattle take him.

It's a conversation.

Listening to Pinder, a lot of the money is paid already so in a few years there is hope that we can trade to a team that needs to get to the floor. I don’t know how much of that is possible but apparently it saves the Flames a lot of real money, the cap is what hurts.

On 7/21/2019 at 9:01 AM, stubblejumper1 said:

Are any of the players he fought in this youtube video still in the NHL?  

Does it really matter?...   Some of those guys were among the best fighters in the league...   Lucic was, and sill is one of the best...   That was the point...

On 7/21/2019 at 9:01 AM, stubblejumper1 said:

the NHL is moving away from fighting, and players no longer have to drop the gloves.  Maybe most players fight less because they are smart enough to realize that repeated blows to the head cause brain trauma.

A bigger problem with injuries for the league comes from things like hits from behind that put another player headfirst into the boards, and intentional head shots   and those offenses are on the list of reasons why the offenders deserve to get a few punches in the face...   The fights that happen for a good reason serve a purpose...

On 7/22/2019 at 6:31 PM, robrob74 said:

Listening to Pinder, a lot of the money is paid already so in a few years there is hope that we can trade to a team that needs to get to the floor. I don’t know how much of that is possible but apparently it saves the Flames a lot of real money, the cap is what hurts.

Flames will owe Lucic 14 million for the rest of his contract

Oilers owe Neal 23 million. Plus they will pay Lucic 2 million. It's a swing of over 10 million dollars with a savings of over 4 million in the first 2 years alone.That could have an impact on Tkachuk as maybe that money can be used to pad a bonus if it took that to get the deal over the finish line. I don't know enough about the negotiations obviously to comment if it would but it's an option.

It also brings in the possibility of Pinder's idea, but it also make a buyout a more reasonable option that I thikn first though. A buyout is not expensive in terms of cash it's just cap hit so if it got to the point where Lucic was such a drag you just wanted him gone a buyout doesn't actually hurt you long term. And given that the Flames have already accounted for this cost for Lucic for the next 4 years I think the buyout is actually a legitimate option given it won't take much cash. One Lucic deal expires his dead cap is only 500K

Contrast that with Neal. if the Oilers were to buyout Neal in 2 seasons they would have 2 mill on the books for years to come plus their share of Lucic. 

I think the narrative that Lucic's contract is significantly worse than Neal's has been very misleading. There are some options there so long as you reside yourself to knowing that you have cap pain for 4 more years, which i think the Flames have clearly done (pending of course the ability to deal it to a cap strapped team in a few years or something)

Did i Cheer for this Trade No but at the end of the Day Brian burke Said along time Trucklunace is needed and i think that is What lucic Brings Truckulance we didnt have that last year and year there isnt fighting but it isnt all about just Fighting Lucic Is a Nasty sob and we  Need that with this team When you have Players Like Johnny Hockey And other Smaller Players you Need other Players to Step up and protect those Little players and teach the young players how to be Nasty

Archived