2019-20 ROSTER PLANNING

MAC331

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's dangerous to tinker with a winning team.

They have been outshot a lot recently, but then again they are taking fewer but better shots.

How do you mess with the chemistry shown?

Bennett would logically replace Lucic on the 3rd line LW.

But Lucic is a big part of the resurgence, especially playing some minutes with JH.

Czarnik would replace Gaudreau on the 3rd line RW, but Dube slots in there when he's not with Monahan.

Bennett doesn't replace Janko as #4C, because we need a superior PK'er available.

Czarnik may replace Rieder or Frolik but honestly the 4th line has frequently been the best at controlling play.

Tough choices.

Czarnik on waivers today. I am a bit surprised, but with Dube playing well and solidifying his spot, and Rieder playing like a regular I am not sure where Czarnik fits so send him down to Stockton and he can get back to game shape and help that team.

26 minutes ago, JTech780 said:

Czarnik on waivers today. I am a bit surprised, but with Dube playing well and solidifying his spot, and Rieder playing like a regular I am not sure where Czarnik fits so send him down to Stockton and he can get back to game shape and help that team.

The only thought I had was that Rieder was still able to go back without clearing waivers again.

Maybe that time/# of games was up.

Regardless, Rieder has played as well as anyone on the bottom 6.

Noesen is an interesting player to consider.

He was just signed for $700k.

Too bad we have no roster space.

Young guy with some AHL and NHL success.

25 minutes ago, JTech780 said:

I think someone had to be sacrificed. Betwwen

Gaudreau

Ryan

Mangiapane

Dube

Czarnik

Near half of our forwards would be small. Czarnik becomes a hard fit. I do wonder if Detroit will claim him though.

Could see either scenario but at this point i would be more surprised at a claim then him being sent down. Between salary, coming off an injury and being a pending UFA I'm not sure I see teams biting at that.

From a roster perspective he made the most sense. Dube/Mangiapane are the ones taking his spot and Reider is playing too well to send down right now. 

7 hours ago, ABC923 said:

I feel like Czarnik never got a great shot in Calgary, but I can't say we've missed him much these last few weeks.  If he gets claimed, it's not a huge loss.

not only that, won’t we save about 250-500k for the cap if someone claims him? His replacement would be making less than him, and at that salary it would be considerable, 

18 minutes ago, robrob74 said:

not only that, won’t we save about 250-500k for the cap if someone claims him? His replacement would be making less than him, and at that salary it would be considerable, 

Well its a bit more complicated.

We are using Valimaki's LTIR while we are over.

And that's with a 22 man roster.

So we would save about 300k without replacing him.

I may gave this mixed up a bit, but no great savings unless we maintain a 22 man unit or go over and dip back into Valimaki's LTIR.

It's a cap move right now.

We can;t afford to play him.

A tinfoil hat person would suggest a trade is coming.

We can;t really play this game too close to the cap ceiling.

Not surprised but glad he cleared. He can be useful depth for the Flames. 

I do agree he hasn’t been given a great run here and could have been more. However, injury and other players stepping up have hindered it more than his deployment. Just hasn’t worked as well as you’d like. 

1 hour ago, flames-fan-in-jets-land said:

Good, theres already enough small skilled guys up, the high energy - hit anything role is still needed.

He has contributed a few points as well...   In the 5 games he has played, he has 2 goals, 1 assist, and his +/- is +1...

I would like to see them play him more often, mostly for the snarl in his game....   I'm not saying that he should be in every game, but there are some teams they play against where playing Rinaldo has a purpose...   As a for instance, they could have used him in the game against the Avs last week, as a 'counter' for Zadorov...   

8 hours ago, Carty said:

He has contributed a few points as well...   In the 5 games he has played, he has 2 goals, 1 assist, and his +/- is +1...

I would like to see them play him more often, mostly for the snarl in his game....   I'm not saying that he should be in every game, but there are some teams they play against where playing Rinaldo has a purpose...   As a for instance, they could have used him in the game against the Avs last week, as a 'counter' for Zadorov...   

I feel like a player like him always has purpose. Someone mentioned in the game day about all of the fly by play of the top guys. We need someone willing to step up and make those plays. I get it’s a different context, but like how Tkachuk used to drag his line mates into battles, I feel we need someone like that for the team. Energy guys drag the skilled guys into the game. It’s why you put them out there to change the pace/momentum. We have too many soft players, or guys who can hit but probably don’t do as much damage. 

others don’t agree though. They see a need for skill and speed throughout the lineup. For whatever reason, BT has focused on it as well, but have only found smaller guys for the role. 

We also won a few with him in the line up.

We seem to be losing the game on a couple of fronts.

1) We don't have an effective 2nd pairing

2) We don't have quite the right setup for the PP.

3) We don't have two top 6 lines together all night

About the first point.  Hamonic and Hanifin don't work as a pairing anymore.  Last year was different.  This year they are making each other worse.  Make the change during practice and stick to it.  Figure out who the best PK D-men are and stick to it. 

About the second point.  Figure out the best use for the D on the PP.  Is Gio too slow and just has one move on the PP?  Does using Hanifin on the point make sense?  Is that setup even working?  You should be able to answer this just by looking at game film.  Gio never brings the puck any further than center before the obvious bump back.  Sure it works some times.  Unless the team is at full speed when the bump back player advances, the play will die.

About the third point.  Why is JH playing at all with Ryan and Lucic?  Why is Backlund the only choice for a top 6 winger?  If you are playing Johnny on RW, then you have choices for LW.  Lucic, Rieder, Mangiapane, Dube, Janko.  

So it comes down to a couple of changes.  Some of this can be done with a trade.  Look for an available D-man that can play RD.  Does not have to be a RHS.  Can be a 3/4.  Defense first.  Skating imperative.  Look for an actual top 6 RW.  Mangiapane and Dube are fine, but not quite there.

Sombody that can finish a play because they haven't been knocked down.  Elite talent if available.  Would take Toffoli or Pageau.  Bennett for Pageau would fit the culture.  He would probably thrive there.  Hamonic and Janko for Toffoli and Roy.

Agree - why is JH with Ryan and Lucic?? Would like to see Bennett on that line or the Bennett, Ryan Mangi line. It looked great earlier.  Maybe move JH to the line with Tkachuk and Lindy

Ward seems to be willing to experiment a bit now, why not try Bennett at Centre again.  This looks like a opportunity to see if he can regain some form.  If he doesn’t I see him and Backlund  as move candidates;

I would like to see Janko back in for PK and D work in general.

Archived