2019-20 ROSTER PLANNING

MAC331

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

Then, do we agree if a $3.125-mil guy cannot play above the 4th line, then he should be traded?  Do you guys think Ryan is at least a full time 3rd line guy?

The question is whether he plays better at C than Janko does.

If so, why are you buyring him on the 4th line.

He's top 10 in the league in FO%.

He's a N/S player.

Seems to me that he would be a fit for Bennett.

If we are keeping Janko, let's find him the right players.

Personally, I feel we need to upgrade the #2C spot and move Backlund to a pure shutdown role.

Not that the team had trouble scoring, but I think we need more balanced scoring.

Thachuk was fine on the PP, but had a bit less success on 5v5.

2 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

Does anyone follow Eetu Tuulola?  Can he step into the 4th line RW role this coming season?  6"-3" 227 lbs.  From what i recall from his draft year, he had decent speed.

He hasn't improved in scoring, but his stock appears to be up.

I would say that he might be a dark horse for the 4th RW spot.

Depends how it's constructed.

And it depends on how he shows up at camp.

Honestly, the prospects are a bit unknown as to whether they can take that next step.

Tuulola, Gawdin, Phillips, Philps, Zavgororodny (Zav for short), Ruzicka....

Since a few are pro rookies, the chances for them are smaller.

Tuulola has been playing in a men's league, but on bigger ice.

35 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

Then, do we agree if a $3.125-mil guy cannot play above the 4th line, then he should be traded?  Do you guys think Ryan is at least a full time 3rd line guy?

Quit looking at solely the money, it doesn't matter that he plays 4th line C as a regular but is important to the overall performance of the team. We will have rookies that make him affordable.

32 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

Does anyone follow Eetu Tuulola?  Can he step into the 4th line RW role this coming season?  6"-3" 227 lbs.  From what i recall from his draft year, he had decent speed.

He could be an option for the 4th line but more likely starts out on the AHL team.

1 hour ago, The_People1 said:

Could be a dark horse, but I wouldn't pencil him in. I like his raw skill when i saw up, especially below the dots, but every where else he was a work in progress. The reports i've read of people who watch him say his skating still isn't to the level where you can confidently say he'll make it. 

2 hours ago, The_People1 said:

there were many nights his line was essentially the 2nd or 3rd line 

16 hours ago, phoenix66 said:

there were many nights his line was essentially the 2nd or 3rd line 

If they were to make no changes at C Ryan could be the 3rd line C and Jankowski the 4th line C. I wouldn't suggest the team would be any better.

On 7/2/2019 at 2:03 PM, cccsberg said:

Engelland has re-signed with VGK.  Ideas not bad, but how about switching Bennett and Tkachuk, which better matches player speeds and provides better protection for Gaudreau.  Maybe switch Monahan and Lindholme too so you have a good puck carrier on each line.

Actually I would like to see Bennett moved back to C a line of Tkachuk LW, Bennett C, Neal RW. This if they cannot make a deal for any other alternative.

Dreaming out loud if we were to obtain Ferland, Engelland, Scissons and Watson.

Gaudreau, Monahan, Ferland

Tkachuk, Lindholm, Neal

Bennett, Backlund, Scissons

Mangiapane, Ryan, Watson
Dube, Quine

DEFENSE
Giordano, Andersson

Hanifin, Hamonic

Valimaki, Engelland

Kylington

GOALIES

Rittich, Talbot

Good balance of skill, speed, toughness and compete.

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/4/2019 at 9:50 AM, GM_3300 said:

Dreaming out loud if we were to obtain Ferland, Engelland, Scissons and Watson.

Gaudreau, Monahan, Ferland

Tkachuk, Lindholm, Neal

Bennett, Backlund, Scissons

Mangiapane, Ryan, Watson
Dube, Quine

DEFENSE
Giordano, Andersson

Hanifin, Hamonic

Valimaki, Engelland

Kylington

GOALIES

Rittich, Talbot

Good balance of skill, speed, toughness and compete.

Ferland gone now. I get the feeling the players being traded in someway are Brodie, Frolik, Jankowski and maybe Czarnik. I'm guessing Stone remains. I'm sticking with my Brodie to NAS trade for Sissons and Watson for our RW. Lineup adjusted.

Gaudreau, Monahan, Neal

Tkachuk, Backlund, Lindholm

Bennett, Ryan, Sissons

Mangiapane, Dube, Watson
DEFENSE

Giordano, Andersson

Hanifin, Hamonic

Valimaki, Stone

GOALIES
Rittich, Talbot

The more things drag out, the fewer changes seem likely.  I doubt Brodie gets moved at this point.  Frolik will go, unless he has a change of heart as to playing here or not.  Stone will be bought out.  We will run the same line-up we had last year, with Talbot instead of Smith and Czarnik instead of Hathaway.  Maybe Dube cracks the lineup if Frolik gets moved in the end.

21 minutes ago, ABC923 said:

The more things drag out, the fewer changes seem likely.  I doubt Brodie gets moved at this point.  Frolik will go, unless he has a change of heart as to playing here or not.  Stone will be bought out.  We will run the same line-up we had last year, with Talbot instead of Smith and Czarnik instead of Hathaway.  Maybe Dube cracks the lineup if Frolik gets moved in the end.

I'm not going to become a doubter just yet still plenty of time for some dealing.

53 minutes ago, ABC923 said:

I knd of hope that the RFA's get signed sooner than later.

None are really due to make big dollars except Tkachuk; Bennett's comps are low $2m's, Rittich only has one full season where he played enough games.  

Czarnik will be a casualty of cap ($1.25m for a replaceable player) and the numbers he was able to put up.

Lombo and Valiev don't really figure into the Flames team, but should get signed pre-arbitration.

Stone will certainly be bought out, not because they need the cap right now, but because they might need it to improve the team a little.

Brodie and Frolik will move out, but the replacement contracts will not save them much if any.

That leaves Tkachuk to sign at around $7m, hopefully for longer than 4 years.

I think we still might bring in a top 9 winger or C.

Not above a cost of $2m, but I can see giving 2 years.

One thing that is interesting when you take a closer look at the stats is that Lindholm wasn't quite the offensive driver that I thought he was and was more of beneficiary of his linemates. Looking at 5v5 primary points per 60 minutes Lindholm produced at rate of 1.27, that was 9th amongst forwards on the team. With this in mind I am thinking moving Lindholm to center the 2nd line isn't a great idea.

On top of that if you look at what Derek Ryan did with 4th line minutes, producing at a rate of 1.37 primary points per 60 minutes, good for 7th on the team amongst forwards. If there is a guy who can elevate up the lineup it's Ryan. I think he should be the 3rd line center to start the season and that he is a clear upgrade on Jankowski in just about every way.

If you put Ryan at the 3rd line center spot he and whoever he plays with will see increased production.

16 hours ago, JTech780 said:

One thing that is interesting when you take a closer look at the stats is that Lindholm wasn't quite the offensive driver that I thought he was and was more of beneficiary of his linemates. Looking at 5v5 primary points per 60 minutes Lindholm produced at rate of 1.27, that was 9th amongst forwards on the team. With this in mind I am thinking moving Lindholm to center the 2nd line isn't a great idea.

On top of that if you look at what Derek Ryan did with 4th line minutes, producing at a rate of 1.37 primary points per 60 minutes, good for 7th on the team amongst forwards. If there is a guy who can elevate up the lineup it's Ryan. I think he should be the 3rd line center to start the season and that he is a clear upgrade on Jankowski in just about every way.

If you put Ryan at the 3rd line center spot he and whoever he plays with will see increased production.

I would agree with you in respect to Lindholm on that line however he also did his share of the work necessary for that line to have the success it did. I saw two reasons that lie started to fail, first they stopped hustling back on defense thus creating their own breaks and secondly for some reason Gaudreau stopped shooting which was creating either his own goals or prime rebounds. In the later part of the season it seemed like all he was doing was trying to feed Monahan and Lindholm was like a 5th wheel. Peters needs to address this if left together.

I would have no problem having Ryan and Jankowski switch C positions for the 3rd and forth line if both remain.

If the season started today and all our RFA's were signed this is how I would setup the lines:

Gaudreau-Monahan-Lindholm

Tkachuk-Backlund-Frolik

Bennett-Ryan-Neal

Mangiapane-Jankowski-Czarnik

Since one player has to be moved for cap reasons and Frolik seems like he might be the odd player out, so if he was moved here;s how I would setup the lines:

Tkachuk-Backlund-Bennett

Mangiapane-Ryan-Neal

Dube-Jankowski-Czarnik

At the end of the day I think guys like Bennett, Mangiapae, and Czarnik can all take another step forward offensively. I think Neal will can improve over last years results. 

3 hours ago, JTech780 said:

If the season started today and all our RFA's were signed this is how I would setup the lines:

Tkachuk-Backlund-Frolik

Bennett-Ryan-Neal

Mangiapane-Jankowski-Czarnik

Since one player has to be moved for cap reasons and Frolik seems like he might be the odd player out, so if he was moved here;s how I would setup the lines:

Tkachuk-Backlund-Bennett

Mangiapane-Ryan-Neal

Dube-Jankowski-Czarnik

At the end of the day I think guys like Bennett, Mangiapae, and Czarnik can all take another step forward offensively. I think Neal will can improve over last years results. 

Nothing wrong with that twelve players.

Losing Frolik would be a step backwards, though.

Whether we use him, Brodie and/or Janko, there will be an additional top 6 player added to the team.

At least one.

1 hour ago, travel_dude said:

Nothing wrong with that twelve players.

Losing Frolik would be a step backwards, though.

Whether we use him, Brodie and/or Janko, there will be an additional top 6 player added to the team.

At least one.

I don't disagree. I do think that one of Bennett or Mangiapane could replace Frolik's offense pretty easily. I think if you gave Bennett top 6 minutes with Tkachuk and Backlund he could be a 20 goal 40 point guy and give you some needed physicality in the top 6.

23 minutes ago, JTech780 said:

I don't disagree. I do think that one of Bennett or Mangiapane could replace Frolik's offense pretty easily. I think if you gave Bennett top 6 minutes with Tkachuk and Backlund he could be a 20 goal 40 point guy and give you some needed physicality in the top 6.

Bennett could be a better player with different linemates and more ice.

So could Mangiapane.

But I think the best use of Bennett with Backlund is LW with Frolik on RW.

Guys that can carry and shoot, so he can go to the net.

I'm starting to think that maybe the best person to have on the top RW spot is Tkachuk.

He can score where Monahan does.

If he gets free, he can deke.

So that leaves us with this, assuming no changes:

JH-Monahan-Tkachuk

Bennett-Backlund-Lindholm

Keeps Bennett on his strong side and gives him a smart two way player on the RW.

10 hours ago, travel_dude said:

Bennett could be a better player with different linemates and more ice.

So could Mangiapane.

But I think the best use of Bennett with Backlund is LW with Frolik on RW.

Guys that can carry and shoot, so he can go to the net.

I'm starting to think that maybe the best person to have on the top RW spot is Tkachuk.

He can score where Monahan does.

If he gets free, he can deke.

So that leaves us with this, assuming no changes:

JH-Monahan-Tkachuk

Bennett-Backlund-Lindholm

Keeps Bennett on his strong side and gives him a smart two way player on the RW.

I hope Peters strongly consider a line of Tkachuk, Bennett, Lindholm, all talented players with high compete levels that should bring the best out of each other. It's pretty much proven that no matter who you put with Gaudreau and Monahan they do well so I don't see any reason not to play Neal with them. A line of Mangiapane, Backlund, Czarnik would have a lot of speed, hustle with both offense and defense capabilities. This leave Peters dealing with what to do with a 4th line utilizing Ryan, Jankowski, Quine and Dube or anyone else brought in.

Personally I expect Treliving to make a series of moves to better our situation.

12 hours ago, JTech780 said:

I would add Dube to this list as well. 

I would argue very strongly that the Flames are a better team with Frolik out and giving more ice time to Bennett, Mangiapane and Dube. And that is no disrespect to Frolik, I think all 3 of those guys are underrated quite a bit around here. 

1 hour ago, cross16 said:

I would add Dube to this list as well. 

I would argue very strongly that the Flames are a better team with Frolik out and giving more ice time to Bennett, Mangiapane and Dube. And that is no disrespect to Frolik, I think all 3 of those guys are underrated quite a bit around here. 

I know we are all well intended in searching for real answers for improvement and should some realities settle in such as Neal remaining and no 2nd line C or RW improvement presenting themselves we do have options. I listen and here the reservations about average or bad skating with key players so Peter's job is to figure  out who plays best with who. Also if Backlund remains our 2nd line C and our main defender against the opposition's best lines we need to address our options. Here is what I suggest regardless of having two average skaters together.

Gaudreau, Monahan, Tkachuk

Bennett, Backlund, Lindholm

Mangiapane, Ryan, Neal

Dube, Jankowski, Czarnik

Personally I think as a team we are giving away to much in the size department but maybe this works in the new NHL.

2 hours ago, GM_3300 said:

I know we are all well intended in searching for real answers for improvement and should some realities settle in such as Neal remaining and no 2nd line C or RW improvement presenting themselves we do have options. I listen and here the reservations about average or bad skating with key players so Peter's job is to figure  out who plays best with who. Also if Backlund remains our 2nd line C and our main defender against the opposition's best lines we need to address our options. Here is what I suggest regardless of having two average skaters together.

Gaudreau, Monahan, Tkachuk

Bennett, Backlund, Lindholm

Mangiapane, Ryan, Neal

Dube, Jankowski, Czarnik

Personally I think as a team we are giving away to much in the size department but maybe this works in the new NHL.

I like everyone’s suggestions. I think the only thing that does scare me is the size department. But that means that they have to buzz and if the team isn’t buzzing it’s not getting anywhere. 

I think it’s great to have speed and skill, but if they’re not going offensively, a lot of the time they’re average and small. At least bigger guys can take up a bit more space. 

Although i think one of the things the team needs is to learn to play engaging hockey all the time. Defensive zone draws there were too many goals where they didn’t move after the drop of the puck and allowed clear lanes to pass the puck for tap in goals against, or the last 20 seconds of periods. 

3 hours ago, robrob74 said:

I like everyone’s suggestions. I think the only thing that does scare me is the size department. But that means that they have to buzz and if the team isn’t buzzing it’s not getting anywhere. 

I think it’s great to have speed and skill, but if they’re not going offensively, a lot of the time they’re average and small. At least bigger guys can take up a bit more space. 

Although i think one of the things the team needs is to learn to play engaging hockey all the time. Defensive zone draws there were too many goals where they didn’t move after the drop of the puck and allowed clear lanes to pass the puck for tap in goals against, or the last 20 seconds of periods. 

Couldn’t agree more- especially the D zone draws. As bad as the Flames played in the playoffs, D Zone draws ended up being the difference between a 3-1 series lead and a 3-1 deficit. Games 2 and 4 were won if they could have won a D zone draw late in those games 

Archived