travel_dude

2 hours ago, cross16 said:

Think we also have to remember that first round picks really don't have the value they use to And we get too caught up in titles. Hayes would give the Flames a very good 3rd line center but also some one who help run the 2nd PP unit and give the Flames two capable units. That's not just a third line center. 

But i I also think an improvement in that area can move the needle. I don't think a team can win a cup with someone like Jankowski as your third line center. You need to be deep at center and be able to roll lines if you want to take down the top  teams like Tampa, Nashville, Penguins etc who can all roll good centres.  I think that third line is the a big weakness for the Flames. 

Hayes makes the Flames very good down the middle and imo gives them four dangerous lines. A first round pick isn't ideal but I don't think it's the end of the world because I do think improvement in that spot moves the needle. 

The fit is interesting.  There's a posibility that he could play RW on the top line, since he's not a wallflower and could help them with the defensive side of the game.

But, Janko is a bit of a liability as the full time 3rd line C.  I like his PK ability due to his size and active stick.

If the trade involved Janko and a lesser pick, then you could have a 3rd line of Bennett-Hayes-Neal in the playoff and Bennett-Hayes-Czarnik right now.

If the trade involved Bennett (doubt he gets used for Hayes), you have a line of Janko-Hayes-Neal/Czarnik or Mangiapane-Hayes-Neal/Czarnik.

The other thing is that you could double shift Johnny with the 3rd line; JH-Hayes-Neal.  

I'm less attched to the 1st rounder as sme, but I would not consider a D prospect included in the deal.  No Kyl, Val, or Ras.

• Replies 507
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, MP5029 said:

Exactly barely live with a 1st just barely.

Hayes should be the plan B or heck even C...and only if it’s a reasonable price, anything above a 1st nope...and hopefully BT would try and land him for less.

this is where Stone actually makes sense to a degree, he’s a perfect fit here and we could just barely afford the asking price on him.  Stone is worth a 1st and a conditional 1st + prospect or two, for signing next year for sure only because he fills a need and he’s young enough to fit with our core players and be part of that core.  The draft picks and prospects would be a few years away, at best on the back end of the window for this core.  So getting stone and making some minor mods over The next few years while the windo is open is not gonna mortgage the future and in 2021 start saving and stocking draft picks unless you can pull in another trade or two like Lindholm. 

Having said all this, Stone is not worth a bidding war, that is something I hope BT will know when to fold on the Stone option...and I think he dose.

I think BT will wait out OTT because right now I would say WPG and ourselves are the only game in town for OTT.

8 minutes ago, MAC331 said:

I think BT will wait out OTT because right now I would say WPG and ourselves are the only game in town for OTT.

Game time should be a bit of an indicator. If it's not completed by then, and we aren't mysteriously sitting anybody..  either we aren't that close, or nobody on the playing roster is involved 

3 hours ago, phoenix66 said:

Game time should be a bit of an indicator. If it's not completed by then, and we aren't mysteriously sitting anybody..  either we aren't that close, or nobody on the playing roster is involved 

You could be right as I have heard OTT is asking for some roster players in any deal. We will see.

6 minutes ago, phoenix66 said:

The Heat play today as well. Probably will be the more interesting team to watch for any last minute scratches. 

3 hours ago, JTech780 said:

If Treliving's trade history is any indication we will end up with a player that nobody saw coming or knew was available. I mean did we see us trading for Hamilton, or Lindholm till the trades actually happened. I just wonder if there is a move out there that will catch us by surprise a bit, maybe we end up with Granlund (the good one this time).

I do think that is extremely possible 

7 minutes ago, Thebrewcrew said:

BT can grind him down..  remember this is the GM (Dorion) that wasn't smart enough to lottery protect his own 1st in the Duchesne deal..

At the end of the day all the pressure is on Dorion.unless he signs Stone , he HAS to trade him..  we on the other hand don't have to trade for him ..we just need to beat out NSH and WPG....and I don't see Winnipeg or Nashville giving up the farm either 

https://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/flames-assistant-gm-craig-conroy-looks-ahead-nhl-trade-deadline/

Conroy has gotten a little better at not tipping his cards in these interviews.

Basically he said if they add it would be a LHS D with some experience. If the opportunity presents itself to add at forward they will look at it, but they like their group up front. They aren't looking at a goalie, they believe in their tandem and are willing to go ahead with the guys they have.

I think not going after a goalie is a mistake. Right now we are 20th in the league in save%, there is only one team in a playoff spot that has a worse save% than us and that's Colorado.

If we get bounced in the 1st two rounds goaltending will be the reason why.

So according to capfriendly we can currently add $5,766,823 worth of cap hits at the deadline.

So if we target Stone, salary has to go the other way. 

Right now if we aren't going to target a goalie, my wishlist is as follows.

A LHS D: Patrick Nemeth or Michael Del Zotto are probably the two targets that make the most sense. Nemeth has the size and plays a steady game, but Colorado is sitting in a playoff spot are they going to move him? Anaheim gave up Like Schenn and 7th to get Del Zotto so I can't see him costing too much, a 4th maybe.

A Forward: Stone would be great but the cost is getting crazy. After that there are a lot of names on the secondary market. I think Staal is my top pick from the secondary group, big guy, wins draws, can play at both ends, and comes with a ring, just have to get him to waive to come here. After that I like Marcus Johansson, super versatile, can play up and down the line and all three forward positions, has the speed to play in this lineup. Hayes is next, he is a big guy with some offensive instincts. Burakovsky would be on my list too.

If we target two players then salary has to be moved in one way or another to make it work.

1 hour ago, JTech780 said:

https://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/flames-assistant-gm-craig-conroy-looks-ahead-nhl-trade-deadline/

Conroy has gotten a little better at not tipping his cards in these interviews.

Basically he said if they add it would be a LHS D with some experience. If the opportunity presents itself to add at forward they will look at it, but they like their group up front. They aren't looking at a goalie, they believe in their tandem and are willing to go ahead with the guys they have.

I think not going after a goalie is a mistake. Right now we are 20th in the league in save%, there is only one team in a playoff spot that has a worse save% than us and that's Colorado.

If we get bounced in the 1st two rounds goaltending will be the reason why.

Save % is trending the right way which is up, you forgot to mention this part.

31 minutes ago, JTech780 said:

So according to capfriendly we can currently add $5,766,823 worth of cap hits at the deadline.

So if we target Stone, salary has to go the other way. 

If we trade for Stone, I hope it's with the intention on re-signing him. As a pure rental it's just not worth the price at the stage the team is in, unless of course we win the cup.

Frolik is probably the player that should be going the other way to clear some salary. I think when he's not playing with Backs he looks like a lesser player on most nights. Doesn't mean that I think he is awful or anything, just that I think that he hasn't shown real chemistry with our bottom 6 players when playing there. Add to that, that I still don't get why our coaching stuff is using our best Pker barely if any on special teams and that Stone would certainly play on both special teams. I think it would make some sense.

31 minutes ago, JTech780 said:

A LHS D: Patrick Nemeth or Michael Del Zotto are probably the two targets that make the most sense. Nemeth has the size and plays a steady game, but Colorado is sitting in a playoff spot are they going to move him? Anaheim gave up Like Schenn and 7th to get Del Zotto so I can't see him costing too much, a 4th maybe.

I like Nemeth a lot, but have no clue what he would cost if he's available. Another LD who could make some sense is Niklas Kronwall, who has plenty of experience. Though I don't know what his value at his age is.

4 minutes ago, manu11 said:

If we trade for Stone, I hope it's with the intention on re-signing him. As a pure rental it's just not worth the price at the stage the team is in, unless of course we win the cup.

Frolik is probably the player that should be going the other way to clear some salary. I think when he's not playing with Backs he looks like a lesser player on most nights. Doesn't mean that I think he is awful or anything, just that I think that he hasn't shown real chemistry with our bottom 6 players when playing there. Add to that, that I still don't get why our coaching stuff is using our best Pker barely if any on special teams and that Stone would certainly play on both special teams. I think it would make some sense.

I like Nemeth a lot, but have no clue what he would cost if he's available. Another LD who could make some sense is Niklas Kronwall, who has plenty of experience. Though I don't know what his value at his age is.

Kronwall won't move and wants to retire a Red Wing.

Archived