travel_dude

• Replies 507
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 hours ago, The_People1 said:

If it's true we landed Hayes then i believe we have no more cap space to add Stone this season, right?

I think if we add Hayes we have no need to blow our brains out for Stone. I’d think Hayes would require our first, so any pieces to try and get Stone would significantly change our team. Not necessary in my mind. I think Hayes moves the needle enough. 

3 hours ago, Addicted said:

I think is we add Hayes we have no need to blow our brains out for Stone. I’d think Hayes would require our first, so any pieces to try and get Stone would significantly change our team. Not necessary in my mind. I think Hayes moves the needle enough. 

A 1st rounder for Hayes... yikes.  I'm having trouble seeing how he's better than Backlund... though he's a clear upgrade to Jankowski.  He will be our 3rd line C in my opinion.  A 1st rounder to upgrade a 3rd line C... i dunno man...

Does anyone think Hayes can play #1C with Johnny at the NHL level?

8 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

A 1st rounder for Hayes... yikes.  I'm having trouble seeing how he's better than Backlund... though he's a clear upgrade to Jankowski.  He will be our 3rd line C in my opinion.  A 1st rounder to upgrade a 3rd line C... i dunno man...

Nope.

7 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

If Hayes plays first line, it's as the RW, and second line would be Tkachuk-Backs-Lindholm.

I mean, we all know Commodore is half-trolling, but for what it's worth, Gaudreau's verified twitter account did like the tweet about Hayes coming to Calgary. A guy on the HFRangers forums as well (who apparently has some insider knowledge, apparently he's broken a few trades days to weeks before they happen for the Rangers, with like a 70-80% success rate) is also saying Hayes to Calgary (for 1st+ defensive prospect, some are claiming Valimaki or Rasmus, but if that happens I see that prospect being Valiev). Considering BT has been "The first is not available for a rental, but for a guy with term" I'd imagine the first is conditional on an extension.

7 minutes ago, Khrox said:

If Hayes plays first line, it's as the RW, and second line would be Tkachuk-Backs-Lindholm.

I mean, we all know Commodore is half-trolling, but for what it's worth, Gaudreau's verified twitter account did like the tweet about Hayes coming to Calgary. A guy on the HFRangers forums as well (who apparently has some insider knowledge, apparently he's broken a few trades days to weeks before they happen for the Rangers, with like a 70-80% success rate) is also saying Hayes to Calgary (for 1st+ defensive prospect, some are claiming Valimaki or Rasmus, but if that happens I see that prospect being Valiev). Considering BT has been "The first is not available for a rental, but for a guy with term" I'd imagine the first is conditional on an extension.

A 1st is too much for a 3rd line center, but a 1st and a prospect is way too much. Plus signing him to an extension would be a huge mistake, he is already overpaid and he is going to get a raise. 

I think people are too attached to the fact that Hayes and Gaudreau played well together 6 years ago in college, it means next to nothing now. 

I have next to no interest in Hayes.

2 hours ago, JTech780 said:

A 1st is too much for a 3rd line center, but a 1st and a prospect is way too much. Plus signing him to an extension would be a huge mistake, he is already overpaid and he is going to get a raise. 

I think people are too attached to the fact that Hayes and Gaudreau played well together 6 years ago in college, it means next to nothing now. 

I have next to no interest in Hayes.

I wouldn't mind Hayes but, I would be pissed if he traded valimaki or kyl etc.... I could live with the 1st but, barely

Maybe it’s Kreider we’re actually looking at?

i agree with some of the above thoughts. Hayes for a first seems like a lot... adding another piece is too much. If you have to go that far for Hayes, look at some of the other options out there. Nyqvist, Johansson, Burakovsky (don’t think he’s going anywhere now. I think WSH is done). Stone is still an option, and I’m glad to hear that all interested parties are balking at the asking price to help drive it down some. 

2 hours ago, CalgarySTL said:

I wouldn't mind Hayes but, I would be pissed if he traded valimaki or kyl etc.... I could live with the 1st but, barely

Exactly barely live with a 1st just barely.

Hayes should be the plan B or heck even C...and only if it’s a reasonable price, anything above a 1st nope...and hopefully BT would try and land him for less.

this is where Stone actually makes sense to a degree, he’s a perfect fit here and we could just barely afford the asking price on him.  Stone is worth a 1st and a conditional 1st + prospect or two, for signing next year for sure only because he fills a need and he’s young enough to fit with our core players and be part of that core.  The draft picks and prospects would be a few years away, at best on the back end of the window for this core.  So getting stone and making some minor mods over The next few years while the windo is open is not gonna mortgage the future and in 2021 start saving and stocking draft picks unless you can pull in another trade or two like Lindholm. 

Having said all this, Stone is not worth a bidding war, that is something I hope BT will know when to fold on the Stone option...and I think he dose.

5 hours ago, The_People1 said:

Our first is going to be a very late first rounder, so close to a second anyway. Price is high, but if it gives us center depth and ignites Neal, it would be very worth it. 

If Hayes is a fit we would be moving out a couple pieces at the draft to accommodate cap, so the opportunity to recover a higher placed first would be there. 

And no, I don’t see Hayes centering JH. I see him as our third line center, or second line between Tkachuk and Neal. 

Think we also have to remember that first round picks really don't have the value they use to And we get too caught up in titles. Hayes would give the Flames a very good 3rd line center but also some one who help run the 2nd PP unit and give the Flames two capable units. That's not just a third line center. 

But i I also think an improvement in that area can move the needle. I don't think a team can win a cup with someone like Jankowski as your third line center. You need to be deep at center and be able to roll lines if you want to take down the top  teams like Tampa, Nashville, Penguins etc who can all roll good centres.  I think that third line is the a big weakness for the Flames. 

Hayes makes the Flames very good down the middle and imo gives them four dangerous lines. A first round pick isn't ideal but I don't think it's the end of the world because I do think improvement in that spot moves the needle. 

3 minutes ago, redfire11 said:

With Hayes what are the reasons a young rebuilding team like NYR is not resigning him. Putz up a flag.

Because he is going to be very overpaid on his next contract. I think he will end up with a contract similar to Monahan's and he isn't anywhere near as good as Monahan.

I can handle picking him up as a rental for a 1st, but anything more than that or signing him to an extension would be a mistake IMO.

If Treliving's trade history is any indication we will end up with a player that nobody saw coming or knew was available. I mean did we see us trading for Hamilton, or Lindholm till the trades actually happened. I just wonder if there is a move out there that will catch us by surprise a bit, maybe we end up with Granlund (the good one this time).

12 minutes ago, redfire11 said:

With Hayes what are the reasons a young rebuilding team like NYR is not resigning him. Putz up a flag.

When your rebuilding paying UFA dollars to a soon to be 27 year old center doesn't make sense. Especially considering he's their number 2 center. The assets they'll get in trade line up for for their rebuild. 

While i like the Hayes target I agree it's a rental only. I have no interest in him long term. 

I think someone said it before and even tho it is not likely at all, I wonder what BT could possibly send to Ottawa to unite the Tkachuk brothers, and if so, does Brady move the needle for us for this playoffs? 

Would anyone be willing to move Kylington or Valimaki for Brady? If that was (part of) the ask right now? 

This quandary falls in line with the thought that BT does seem to find players no one sees coming. Just curious what some of your thoughts are. 

17 minutes ago, lou44291 said:

I think someone said it before and even tho it is not likely at all, I wonder what BT could possibly send to Ottawa to unite the Tkachuk brothers, and if so, does Brady move the needle for us for this playoffs? 

Would anyone be willing to move Kylington or Valimaki for Brady? If that was (part of) the ask right now? 

This quandary falls in line with the thought that BT does seem to find players no one sees coming. Just curious what some of your thoughts are. 

Interesting proposition but I don’t see the Sens parting with Brady without us giving up the farm. Brady is their future and their right at the start of another rebuild. It’d be a great story but im not sure it’s worth the asking price. 

21 minutes ago, lou44291 said:

Like most super young rookies, Brady Tkachuk had a great start to the season but he's slowed down and tiring out as the season drags on.   The stamina isn't there for a long playoff push.

1 hour ago, cross16 said:

Think we also have to remember that first round picks really don't have the value they use to And we get too caught up in titles. Hayes would give the Flames a very good 3rd line center but also some one who help run the 2nd PP unit and give the Flames two capable units. That's not just a third line center. 

But i I also think an improvement in that area can move the needle. I don't think a team can win a cup with someone like Jankowski as your third line center. You need to be deep at center and be able to roll lines if you want to take down the top  teams like Tampa, Nashville, Penguins etc who can all roll good centres.  I think that third line is the a big weakness for the Flames. 

Hayes makes the Flames very good down the middle and imo gives them four dangerous lines. A first round pick isn't ideal but I don't think it's the end of the world because I do think improvement in that spot moves the needle. 

Our 3rd line has been our best line since Czarnik though.  Taking Neal off the line has helped make the 3rd line faster and more of an offensive threat.  Is it not good enough still?

James Neal is slow and lacks play making abilities, he needs quality C and winger playmakers to feed him the puck. He can shoot the puck but even that’s been a struggle for him this year. Czarnik has already proven more effective than Neal, he’s smaller so he gets pushed of pucks more easily but overall he’s just been more effective with the puck. 

24 minutes ago, rickross said:

Interesting proposition but I don’t see the Sens parting with Brady without us giving up the farm. Brady is their future and their right at the start of another rebuild. It’d be a great story but im not sure it’s worth the asking price. 

20 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

Like most super young rookies, Brady Tkachuk had a great start to the season but he's slowed down and tiring out as the season drags on.   The stamina isn't there for a long playoff push.

To be more transparent, my true reason for asking the question and gathering some opinions on this board is because I wonder if a move like that would influence contract negotiations with Matthew this summer (read: discount). Just curious what y’all think it would take to get the deal done. 

50 minutes ago, lou44291 said:

Have to remember that the Sens chose Tkachuk over potentially drafting Jack Hughes. I think they are pretty committed to Tkachuk at this point. It would take more to get Tkachuk than it would to get Stone even if Stone had an extension in hand.

11 minutes ago, rickross said:

James Neal is slow and lacks play making abilities, he needs quality C and winger playmakers to feed him the puck. He can shoot the puck but even that’s been a struggle for him this year. Czarnik has already proven more effective than Neal, he’s smaller so he gets pushed of pucks more easily but overall he’s just been more effective with the puck. 

I agree that line has been much improved without Neal. Unlike other snipers like Stamkos, Ovi, Laine (to a degree), Neal doesn’t generate or create on his own. He needs to be setup kind of like Hull near the end of his career. Neal is that player that has the desired goal scoring skill but needs a complimentary player to help him exploit it. As much as he’s disappointed for us this season, if I imagine him on any other team I’d be scared of what he could do. 

42 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

Our 3rd line has been our best line since Czarnik though.  Taking Neal off the line has helped make the 3rd line faster and more of an offensive threat.  Is it not good enough still?

Not imo. It's been Bennett and Czarnik making it dangerous not Jankowski. Plus as you pointed out in another thread, most of hose goals are a but fluky. Not sure we can count on that moving forward. 

i don't think at this point in time Jankowski is ready to carry his own lines on a deep playoff run so I don't think it matters who is on his wing, for me. 

Archived