travel_dude

• Replies 507
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, rickross said:

Is it too late to trade for jimmy howard now? :huh:

Acrully no.

We can makes trades but they can't play in the playoffs.

Knock on wood, I would probably consider Parsons over Gillies right now.

Gillies is wildly inconsistent.

Parsons isn;t much better, but I think his compete level is sky high comapred to Gillies. 

Man .. this is gonna bug me until I find out what this was ... Even Boomer this morning , sounds like knows something but cant say , kept hinting at something "much bigger "

https://ca.sports.yahoo.com/news/report-flames-white-hot-losing-jason-zucker-203214755.html

but , likely then we find out at the draft when they finish what they started 

Just now, phoenix66 said:

Man .. this is gonna bug me until I find out what this was ... Even Boomer this morning , sounds like knows something but cant say , kept hinting at something "much bigger "

https://ca.sports.yahoo.com/news/report-flames-white-hot-losing-jason-zucker-203214755.html

but , likely then we find out at the draft when they finish what they started 

It may be better if it happens in June in all honesty. That gives him a whole summer to get his life in order and get his family settled. It’s very rare in-season trades immediately pay off

But like you I really am curious as to what happened. Maybe it was a timing issue as the rumours surfaced right around the deadline?

There are two schools of thought and speculation.

1) Central Registry was jammed and the trade didn;t get registered.

2) Some condition wasn't met and the trade was rejected.

Reason #1 would be enough to have Toronto look at the tape of when it was submitted :)

Reason #2 could have been a NTC that was not waived.  Or a player trying to be traded that was injured at the time.  Or that some cap or roster condition wasn;t met.

That could have been the paper demotion of Lazar didn;t take place on time or Lazar's salary made us no-compliant with the cap

Seriously, just guessing.  Nothing concrete, which might suggest they don;t want to mention a player that was going the other way.

22 minutes ago, JTech780 said:

What I worry about, especially when I hear that Treliving was "white hot", is that he told the players that they were going to be traded and then it didn't happen. Makes it tough to get that trust and buy in back. IMO that's worst case scenario.

But...

You're inventing that scenario.

Which seems pretty unlikely.

40 minutes ago, JTech780 said:

What I worry about, especially when I hear that Treliving was "white hot", is that he told the players that they were going to be traded and then it didn't happen. Makes it tough to get that trust and buy in back. IMO that's worst case scenario.

Typically , unless a no trade is involved players find out after the fact..  just speculation, but the way Boomer keeps mentioning "bigger ".. and the fact he's 5+ million winger , I have a hunch it was Neal going the other way 

1 hour ago, phoenix66 said:

Typically , unless a no trade is involved players find out after the fact..  just speculation, but the way Boomer keeps mentioning "bigger ".. and the fact he's 5+ million winger , I have a hunch it was Neal going the other way 

That would have been an incredible trade Neal + for Zucker

8 hours ago, conundrumed said:

But...

You're inventing that scenario.

Which seems pretty unlikely.

According to Michael Russo on the Athletic the deal was Zucker for Frolik and a draft pick. The deal got far enough along that Zucker was aware of their intention to trade him. Apparently Minnesota isn't on Frolik's no trade list so that wasn't what held up the trade. It seems possible that if Zucker knew of the trade so did Frolik.

10 hours ago, JTech780 said:

Frolik has been jerked around so much this season that it doesn't even matter anymore.  He just has to play hockey.

I'm not too worried about that scenario either to be honest. Players know at the TDL they could be traded and if it was in fact Frolik going he submits a no trade list so he has to be even more aware. I don't see this as an issue going forward either, especially because I also think there chances are so small Frolik is a Flame next year anyway. Cold business sometimes, even though they are human. 

Boomer seems to be the only person i'm reading that is suggesting the trade was bigger. The consensus was it was Frolik and a high pick for Zucker which I do think would have been a great deal for the Flames to both move Frolik's salary out and gain a player who I think is very good in Zucker. Sure sounds to be the issue is on the Wild side and they either backed out last minute or someone higher up put a stop to the trade. In that Russo article he mentions that the league never got any notification around the trade so the issue would appear to be the negotiations between the Flames and Wild and nothing to do with the league or conditions etc. 

Be interesting to see if they revisit but given that Treliving is "white hot" according to rumors maybe he just moves one. Pretty clear the process broke down at some point. 

54 minutes ago, cross16 said:

I'm not too worried about that scenario either to be honest. Players know at the TDL they could be traded and if it was in fact Frolik going he submits a no trade list so he has to be even more aware. I don't see this as an issue going forward either, especially because I also think there chances are so small Frolik is a Flame next year anyway. Cold business sometimes, even though they are human. 

Boomer seems to be the only person i'm reading that is suggesting the trade was bigger. The consensus was it was Frolik and a high pick for Zucker which I do think would have been a great deal for the Flames to both move Frolik's salary out and gain a player who I think is very good in Zucker. Sure sounds to be the issue is on the Wild side and they either backed out last minute or someone higher up put a stop to the trade. In that Russo article he mentions that the league never got any notification around the trade so the issue would appear to be the negotiations between the Flames and Wild and nothing to do with the league or conditions etc. 

Be interesting to see if they revisit but given that Treliving is "white hot" according to rumors maybe he just moves one. Pretty clear the process broke down at some point. 

I guess he’d be white hot considering he could have made an alternative deal if he was waiting on this one to go through last minute. 

2 hours ago, JTech780 said:

According to Michael Russo on the Athletic the deal was Zucker for Frolik and a draft pick. The deal got far enough along that Zucker was aware of their intention to trade him. Apparently Minnesota isn't on Frolik's no trade list so that wasn't what held up the trade. It seems possible that if Zucker knew of the trade so did Frolik.

A missed trade is just that.  They never got around to completing it.  I liked Ras saying that he's glad the GM likes him because he didn;t want to get traded.  He's funny.  Frolik knew the possible issues with playing out his contract.  He's a pro, whether he was told he was getting traded or just heard rumors like everyone else.

The hockey plays have their phones on.  They know the posibility always exists.  The fact that none were traded has to give them some comfort.

It sounds like it was on the Flames end and not Min. Somewhere in the org. Between the 28min to 34 min mark they were talking about the trade that could not be. Min says they had a deal, Zucker’s agent is questioning. Is it waiting for too long or did Flames ownership nix the deal?

if they mixed it BT doesn’t have as much autonomy as we thought he’s recently earned.

26 minutes ago, robrob74 said:

It sounds like it was on the Flames end and not Min. Somewhere in the org. Between the 28min to 34 min mark they were talking about the trade that could not be. Min says they had a deal, Zucker’s agent is questioning. Is it waiting for too long or did Flames ownership nix the deal?

if they mixed it BT doesn’t have as much autonomy as we thought he’s recently earned.

Word was that BT was white hot about the deal failing at the last minute.

That doesn't sound internal.

We'll never know.

The trade could extend into June until his NTC kicks in.  Even then it could still take place.

I'm okay with re-visiting the trade in June.  Gives more time to work him into the team.

I just didn't like the doublespeak (1984 fans) from BT about wanting to take this team into the playoffs as is.

If there was a roster player involved, then he's lying.  If he missed out on a trade last second, then he was willing to add.

Whatever, I am over it.

4 hours ago, travel_dude said:

A missed trade is just that.  They never got around to completing it.  I liked Ras saying that he's glad the GM likes him because he didn't want to get traded.  He's funny.  Frolik knew the possible issues with playing out his contract.  He's a pro, whether he was told he was getting traded or just heard rumors like everyone else.

The hockey plays have their phones on.  They know the possibility always exists.  The fact that none were traded has to give them some comfort.

Exactly , i mean at the end of the day it makes no difference, i'm just a naturally curious person and when you give me half the info i want it all :) 

these things happen all the time,  nearly every trade BP has made he makes a reference to already knowing the player, and having had talks about him previously , we just never hear about it . Like Derek Ryan , we tried to get him at deadline last year it came out .

Archived