Rasmus Andersson

conundrumed

15 minutes ago, Khrox said:

Damn, this really tells you a lot about Rasmus MANderssons personality. Between Mony, Tkachuk, and Mandersson, that may be our next leadership (Mony with the C, the other two with A's) core after Gio and Backs age out of it. It also tells you a lot about why the coach is always willing to give Andersson some extra leeway out there

Andersson has that type of personna.  I think he has shelved a bit of his leadership because he has so much respect for Gio.

Would love to see him take over the QB of the top PP unit.  

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply
17 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

Andersson has that type of personna.  I think he has shelved a bit of his leadership because he has so much respect for Gio.

Would love to see him take over the QB of the top PP unit.  

I don't think he's "shelving it" per se, but I think he's realizing as well that as a rookie it'd be tough to be the go-to guy off the ice (especially with guys like Gio, but Mony and Tkachuk, and even Bennett and Backlund off ice do a lot of the big things as well). But he's doing all the right things to help. I see it more as an Iggy-Gio thing with Gio-Rasmus (where Ras is learning a lot from Gio the same way Gio learned a lot from Iggy's tenure). Either way, it's definitely a good problem to have. It also goes to show that BT really has put everything into building the character of the team.

11 minutes ago, Khrox said:

I don't think he's "shelving it" per se, but I think he's realizing as well that as a rookie it'd be tough to be the go-to guy off the ice (especially with guys like Gio, but Mony and Tkachuk, and even Bennett and Backlund off ice do a lot of the big things as well). But he's doing all the right things to help. I see it more as an Iggy-Gio thing with Gio-Rasmus (where Ras is learning a lot from Gio the same way Gio learned a lot from Iggy's tenure). Either way, it's definitely a good problem to have. It also goes to show that BT really has put everything into building the character of the team.

Baertschi for a 2nd (Andersson), such an awesome trade.

• 9 months later...

Good write up in the Athletic about Andersson. Apparently he and Burakovsky are best friends.

Bura was playing a yr in Erie and his rave reviews of the NA game helped Andersson decide to go to Barrie.

Evidently he's pretty mouthy on the ice, likes scrums and is as intense as he seems. Never backs down.

Quote:

Scruffy and steady, pushy and yappy, Andersson is not going anywhere.

Except perhaps to the top pairing for a decade or so.

His game — free of panic, full of confidence — is serving him and his employers well. And there is little that’s dainty about No. 4.

Ryan Huska, who coached Andersson in AHL Stockton and now handles the defencemen in Calgary, has witnessed plenty of shenanigans. There is no mute button.

“He gets on people’s nerves with some of the comments,” Huska said. “He’s always in your face, so it’s, ‘This guy again?’ But he’s not afraid to back it up. He continually puts himself out there. If there’s a scrum on the ice, he’s usually the first guy into it. He’s there for his teammates.

“You like the energy and compete that he brings to the game each and every night.”

Andersson never doubts himself.

“He’s really good at new environments,” Burakovsky said. “He’s not a shy guy — like you’ve probably seen. He’s probably one of the cockiest guys on the ice.

“He’s kind of following his own mindset, and it’s definitely helping him be as successful as he is.”

• 1 month later...
3 hours ago, The_Snowbear said:

Nice to see him resign today

He was a key pending RFA to sign and BT got it done quick.  Very good signing.  He's capable of 2nd pairing minutes for the next 6-years with potential to become a top pairing D eventually.  He doesn't have the numbers yet but as we can all see, it's just a matter of time.  The skillset and smarts are there.  

Rasmus is probably the Flames biggest success story in the last decade, that I can remember at least. Sure there have been bigger steals in the draft based on value, Gaudreau for example, but I don't think there has been a prospect in some time who re wrote his story like Rasmus did. I thought he was a good value pick in round 2 but then he kept having the same concerns. Diet, weight, skating, year after year and the needle was moving the other way. A few year's ago he totally flipped that. he got his diet and workout regiment in order and now you watch him play and you don't know what is going to hold him back from being a top pairing dman. It's a really cool success story and kudos to him for doing that. 

Can debate the numbers for sure, but he is the type of player you give this style of commitment too IMO. He really earned it. 

The biggest concern is the offensive output, but that is due to learning.

Learning that he is better than most of the D in shot placement.

Learning when to set up for a one-timer.

Learning when to shoot off centre for the rebound (like one he had earlier in the season).

Also, I think that at some point he will replace Gio on the top PP unit.

Given the length of contract, this is a very good deal.  He's already equal to Brodie in my mind, and Brodie's deal was signed at a time when prices were lower.  Plus Anderson still has room to grow a bit.  Makes the Baertschi trade look like a steal today.

5 hours ago, Irocke99 said:

I've always liked Rassmus he plays hard and is a smart player. I, find it odd that BT didn't make Rassmus sweat like Mony, Johnny, and Chucky had too. Make your best players sweat. Then give RA an early long extension? Weird!

It's all about the money and term...   With Ras they got term at what could/should turn out to be a bargain...   If Ras wanted more $ and less term (or etc), Treliving would have sweated Ras's deal as well...

Its hard to believe that not too long ago, Ras was getting in trouble with management about coming in to camp out of shape.

He's turned in to a solid top 4 with top 2 upside, and may very well be the best dman the league, that no ones heard of (yet.)

This is an absolute steal by BT. His offensive numbers haven't been great, but it just seems like a matter of time with him.

Great signing by Tre and good deal for Rasmus (early money). To be a top 2, he's going to need to create offense more consistently. But, even if he doesn't, his snarl, compete level and smart puck movement, defensive play will make him a great top 4 for years. 

• 4 weeks later...

Rasmus is quickly becoming one of my favorite Flames. Loved Francis talking about him on the broadcast lat night. Apparently when asked about his stats he said something to the tune of "when i look at my stats I want to punch myself in the face". 

The Flames need more players with his attitude. I love it. 

8 hours ago, cross16 said:

Rasmus is quickly becoming one of my favorite Flames. Loved Francis talking about him on the broadcast lat night. Apparently when asked about his stats he said something to the tune of "when i look at my stats I want to punch myself in the face". 

The Flames need more players with his attitude. I love it. 

If only the coach would use him on the top PP.

He's the goto guy for EN situations, but Hanifn is the new Gio on the top unit.

Need more like him.

4 hours ago, travel_dude said:

If only the coach would use him on the top PP.

He's the goto guy for EN situations, but Hanifn is the new Gio on the top unit.

Need more like him.

I saw that too and thought “WTF!”

how! How can they be seeing this as a viable option? 
I get they may want to get him going and should somehow begin to get more offensive as he matures, but I don’t see it. He reacts one or two step and ends up 5 strides out. He’s like a Satoshi Nakamototy outfielder who can’t read a hit. Can he get a puck on net?

go RA all the way!

take Lucic off as well.

I’ve always seen RA as a future top pairing D, and I thought BT and the coaching staff was purposely holding him back in order to sign him to a friendlier contract when the time came. 

well, he’s now signed, but his deployment has been the same... that frustrates me, but with Gio’s injury (any update on Hamonic?) I’m hoping the coaching staff realizes he can handle more and should be put in more situations. 

“BOOM!” 😁

Archived