Rasmus Andersson

conundrumed

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've been big on Andersson ever since the Flames drafted him with the 2nd round pick that they received for Baertschi.

I am impressed that he has overcome his skating and conditioning issues.

Someone (Huska?) has taught him what it takes to be a pro

My feeling is that we have not seen near his peak game yet.

I think that he still has the potential to become a first pairing D in a few years.

10 minutes ago, 420since1974 said:

I've been big on Andersson ever since the Flames drafted him with the 2nd round pick that they received for Baertschi.

I am impressed that he has overcome his skating and conditioning issues.

Someone (Huska?) has taught him what it takes to be a pro

My feeling is that we have not seen near his peak game yet.

I think that he still has the potential to become a first pairing D in a few years.

Preaching to the choir buddy.

Is this kid going to be a Josi?

It's becoming a legitimate question imho.

He's only going to get better.

17 minutes ago, conundrumed said:

Preaching to the choir buddy.

Is this kid going to be a Josi?

It's becoming a legitimate question imho.

He's only going to get better.

Hallelujah. Hallelujah. Hallll-leeeee-luuuu-jah.

Thanks for starting the thread.  I would have gotten around to it sooner or later.

Probably after he wins the Norris. :D

1 minute ago, travel_dude said:

Hallelujah. Hallelujah. Hallll-leeeee-luuuu-jah.

Thanks for starting the thread.  I would have gotten around to it sooner or later.

Probably after he wins the Norris. :D

You're an excellent example of an easterner to westerners.

ahhh the confluence of work ethic. lol

An ancient tale told is only 2 good things come from the East. The sun and an empty Greyhound. lol

just sayin'

7 hours ago, conundrumed said:

An ancient tale told is only 2 good things come from the East. The sun and an empty Greyhound. lol

just sayin'

Ha ha ha.

Simply not true.

Alberta's economy is only what it is because of dinos and Maritimers.

2nd biggest city in Newfoundland....Fort Mac.

Without Capers, you wouldn't have anyone to translate Newfies.

What would the world be without Tommy Hunter and Anne Murray?

(prolly no different)

As for the Ras thread, sorry I thought there was one, but he arrived here so fast and played like a vet that he went from prospect to mainstream in no time.  Much like other players without their own thread, Ras just keeps doing it.

8 hours ago, conundrumed said:

just sayin'

:lol: :lol: Now now, they are in a similar boat to us. Remember that map of Canada with the cow on it? The cow consumes Western Canadian produce, it gets milked by the fat cats in Ontario, and poops on the East Coast. 

Small sample size but I was surprised by this.  This is anti climatic given what thread we are in but any guesses who is 3rd on the team in Even Strength points in the lat 15 games?

Rasmus Anderson. He's got 2 more points than both Brodie and Gio and 7 in his last 15. Impressive stuff for the young dman. 

5 minutes ago, cross16 said:

Small sample size but I was surprised by this.  This is anti climatic given what thread we are in but any guesses who is 3rd on the team in Even Strength points in the lat 15 games?

Rasmus Anderson. He's got 2 more points than both Brodie and Gio and 7 in his last 15. Impressive stuff for the young dman. 

Not only that, but man, that goal he got last night was a beaut.

1 hour ago, cross16 said:

I wonder what the top PP unit would look like with Ras replacing Gio.

Gio on the 2nd unit would help prop them up a bit and gives Brodie or Hanifin a solid guy on the line.

19 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

I wonder what the top PP unit would look like with Ras replacing Gio.

Gio on the 2nd unit would help prop them up a bit and gives Brodie or Hanifin a solid guy on the line.

I wonder if you could just go traditional. Having another gun in the forward group on the 2nd unit could help it.

leave line 1 on it, or trade Lindholm for Tkachuk? 

Gaudreau, Monahan, Lindholm

Giordano, Andersson 

Switch Gaudreau and Lindholm around for shooting one-timers.

Bennett, Backlund/Ryan, Tkachuk

Hanifin, Hamonic 

i guess it shows how much faith I have in Brodie on the PP. 

But having lindholm or Tkachuk for PP2 could make it better, no?

32 minutes ago, robrob74 said:

If we want Giordano to win the Norris he will have to start closing the gap on Burns.

70 points to 59 points. Gio has a +31 plus-minus. So there’s that where Gio then adds more than he gets scored on. Quick stat of course. 

He's leading the Norris race in terms of NHL.COM view of the world.

The fact that he's leading in more than just +/- is key.

You don't have to score the most to win it.

2 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

He's leading the Norris race in terms of NHL.COM view of the world.

The fact that he's leading in more than just +/- is key.

You don't have to score the most to win it.

I get that, but it seems to be those D who do score the most that do. Not only that it’s kind of his first time getting nods and that sometimes goes against a player as well. He was close before a few years ago, so does that count? 

Its not my thinking as much as the history of the past winners and who actually does deserve this trophy.

34 minutes ago, 420since1974 said:

I like your proposal for the first PP.

With that in mind, I'd be tempted to try this group for the second PP:

Bennett, Backlund, Ryan, Tkachuk

Hanifin

I also had the though that if you keep Gio up on the top unit, you bump down Tkachuk to Unit 2.

JH-Monahan-Lindholm

Gio-Ras

Bennett-Backlund-Tkachuk

Hanifin-Ryan

First ubnit is traditional 2D allows Ras to creep up for a one timer.  Gio plays the point when he does that, otherwise Ras holds the point.

It's different, but I think Tkachuk adds a new element to the unit.

3 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

I also had the though that if you keep Gio up on the top unit, you bump down Tkachuk to Unit 2.

JH-Monahan-Lindholm

Gio-Ras

Bennett-Backlund-Tkachuk

Hanifin-Ryan

First ubnit is traditional 2D allows Ras to creep up for a one timer.  Gio plays the point when he does that, otherwise Ras holds the point.

It's different, but I think Tkachuk adds a new element to the unit.

Could you get more one-timer options by switch Lindholm over to Gaudreau’s side as well? 

He’s  got an amazing shot and uses it well on the right but could it be better on the left?

40 minutes ago, robrob74 said:

Could you get more one-timer options by switch Lindholm over to Gaudreau’s side as well? 

He’s  got an amazing shot and uses it well on the right but could it be better on the left?

That's what a lot of teams do.

Laine plays LW.

Ovi same.

Lindy has little net to work with when he's on the right side.

I had suggested moving JH to RW with Ras there on the point.

JH has a better shot on net starting on the right half boards.

Wold have to think the same with Lindholm.

But, we don;t use a one-timer except on Gio.

He's not that good with it.

He does have a good wrister when he walks in.

How crazy is it that in about 16 minutes together on the ice against NJ, that the "3rd" pairing was on the ice for 1 shot against.

Maybe Oscar is the perfect comlement to Ras.  Maybe it's such a small sample size that it's just noise.

This was the 2nd of a B2B and the 3rd game in 4 nights, so it's not like we played overly offensive, even if we managed to outshot them, wildy at times.

Many of the chances came from the perimeter.

I would like to give Oscar some more time to see where the holes in his game are.  I'm not sold on having two rookies on the 3rd pair, but Ras and Kyl have been pretty good as a pair.  Haven't see Kyl & Brodie as a pair yet, so not sure about them.

Loved this from Huska in Cruikshank's Athletic article:

Bench boss in AHL Stockton when Andersson showed up in 2016, then again last winter, and now the Flames assistant coach in charge of the defenders, Huska continues to work daily with the youngster.

“Everyone knew the type of ability that he had,” he said. “He can see through the first guy, second guy, even third guy, to find the open man on the ice. We saw that in development camp. I’m sure the scouts saw that when he was in junior.”

That's an excellent assessment by Huska.

I like Andersson's vision on the ice, but Huska hit the nail on the head.

Further, I don't like quoting The Athletic as it is a subscription service. I like that. Means no crazy amount of advertising.

Alternatively, go on the Sportsnet site and wait 10 minutes for all of the advertising to stop bouncing.

And the writers kick SN's Hash Rate.

Currently 50% off a 1 yr subscription or a free trial.

Every time I have to quote, I'll be promoting The Athletic.

It is excellent. I'm at about 1 1/2 year subscriber and love it.

edit

oh right, linkypoo

https://theathletic.com/checkout/?pc=rtrgtest&plan_id=45&campaign_type=google&campaign_id=nonbrandeddisplay&source=googledisplayads&utm_source=google&utm_medium=retargeting&utm_campaign=paywallvisitors&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIhOSsqofi4AIVkNtbCh1DwAfkEAEYASAAEgKwhfD_BwE

A couple of writers for tha Athletic for the Flames were guys I used to read anyways.

I'm just disappointed they stopped writing their own content.

Haynes is one I like, since he was no nonsense.

Wilson used to post on FN.

Anyway, I have to agree wth the concusion as it shows in the plays that the guy makes.
It's almost like he sees where the seasm are and when there isn;t one.

He rarely gets blocked and is pretty upset when he has one blocked.

18 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

A couple of writers for tha Athletic for the Flames were guys I used to read anyways.

I'm just disappointed they stopped writing their own content.

Haynes is one I like, since he was no nonsense.

Wilson used to post on FN.

Anyway, I have to agree wth the concusion as it shows in the plays that the guy makes.
It's almost like he sees where the seasm are and when there isn;t one.

He rarely gets blocked and is pretty upset when he has one blocked.

Well, now they have the support around them to make them even better.;)

"I don't know what it's like to get traded and especially having to move your life around mid-season like that, so if I can help out, set a few things up for him, show him around the city a little bit and take him out to dinner, I think that helps," Andersson said.

"When I came up, Backs (Mikael Backlund) was the only Swede here and he helped me through a lot. I tried to do the same when Lindy (Elias Lindholm) came here in the summer, and now I'm hoping to have the same impact with Oscar."

"The way (Andersson) has helped me out both on and off the ice is amazing," Fantenberg said. "I think it speaks to the character of the guys in this room, how a 21, 22-year-old guy - really his first year in the league - has taken that kind of a leadership role and made me feel comfortable.

Damn, this really tells you a lot about Rasmus MANderssons personality. Between Mony, Tkachuk, and Mandersson, that may be our next leadership (Mony with the C, the other two with A's) core after Gio and Backs age out of it. It also tells you a lot about why the coach is always willing to give Andersson some extra leeway out there

Archived