Sam Bennett

Going4TheCup

6 minutes ago, conundrumed said:

I think Barkov and Huberdeau are the class of the league and Quenneville's the best coach of my era.

Calgary, Detroit.

If not, Florida. Such a fun team.

I’m with ya Conundrumed! I’m pulling for FLA for the cup this year! 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, lou44291 said:

I’m with ya Conundrumed! I’m pulling for FLA for the cup this year! 

Gonna be tough with the cap dodging lightning in the way. Oh gee, Kucherov and Stamkos are gonna be healthy for game one of the playoffs? How lucky for them!

3 hours ago, ABC923 said:

Gonna be tough with the cap dodging lightning in the way. Oh gee, Kucherov and Stamkos are gonna be healthy for game one of the playoffs? How lucky for them!

Ya... how is that allowable? But I hope the hockey gods have something to say about it!

Always been a Bennett fan, was hoping he would get this chance in Calgary but he was grossly mishandled IMO.

Put directly into a position of responsibility on both sides of the puck for the Cats and absolutely looking like a 4th OA pick. 

I too will be following FLA come playoff time. Fun team.

• Like 1

There's a lot of good story lines, the key one for me is Bobrovsky vs Vasilevsky, yikes! Tampa tried to bring some toughness last night but Florida always answered it.

It'll be fun to watch Quenneville adjust things. He was using Bennett at RW with Barkov and Huberdeau effectively last night. With Verhaeghe and Hornqvist hopefully good to go, Duclair, Tippett, Vatrano and Acciari, he's got a great balance of players to move around as needed.

My friends are laughing at me that they won't get past Tampa, but I think they can. I can't see how it's a mismatch, at least. I'd rather Tampa first rather than the Canes.

10 hours ago, 89Again said:

Always knew when they traded him we were going to regret it.  Just shows how poorly the Flames are managed.  Quite the joke.  Super happy for Benny, I will be cheering for the Panthers this offseason!

I'm not sure that what he is doing in FLA he would ever be able to do here.  For that reason, the trade was probably necessary.

Had we left him where he finished the playoffs, he would have still been playing with Lucic, which is a far cry from Huberdeau or Duclair.

That's just the beginning of the problems.

No real speed lines.

In all the years we had him, he never had a run like he is having now.

Be happy for him, but recognize he probably would be no different than he was if he stayed.

1 hour ago, travel_dude said:

I'm not sure that what he is doing in FLA he would ever be able to do here.  For that reason, the trade was probably necessary.

Had we left him where he finished the playoffs, he would have still been playing with Lucic, which is a far cry from Huberdeau or Duclair.

That's just the beginning of the problems.

No real speed lines.

In all the years we had him, he never had a run like he is having now.

Be happy for him, but recognize he probably would be no different than he was if he stayed.

I know that we don’t have a huberdeau equivalent, very few teams do. But I always wondered what a line of Mang - Benny - Dube would have looked like. Speed and Tenacity that would’ve been hard to contain, but it’s all conjecture at this point. Go Benny

58 minutes ago, pikey7883 said:

I know that we don’t have a huberdeau equivalent, very few teams do. But I always wondered what a line of Mang - Benny - Dube would have looked like. Speed and Tenacity that would’ve been hard to contain, but it’s all conjecture at this point. Go Benny

I think the best equivalent I could come up with would have been Dube-Bennett-Lindholm.  The impact to the rest of the lineup would have been significant.

Here's a best guess at the lines resulting:

Gaudreau-Monahan-scrub

Mangiapane-Backlund-Tkachuk

Dube-Bennett-Lindholm

Lucic-Ryan-Nordstrom

Overall, I think it leaves us worse off.  Leaves one of the top 2 lines playing less to maximize our most consistent player (Lindholm).

I'm not losing sleep over the trade.  It was going to happen, so it's good he ended up in the East.

I don't think he would have been as successful in Anaheim.

TG he didn't end up in EDM, where he could have ended up as a winger for McDavid.

Fire Hydrants applying for that job.

6 hours ago, conundrumed said:

The Panthers are basically a skate skate skate first team. The Flames rarely have been. Over-simplified, but likely the biggest difference for Bennett. Great skater when he's allowed, and the whole team is always skating hard.

Just to add to this, I don't think there is a more aggressive coach in the league than Quenville. Versteeg has told the story about how if a dmen every slowed the play down and took the puck behind his own net waiting for a change, Quneville would run down the bench to yell at them.

Bennett could not have gone to a better spot for his style of play. 

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

We are going to beat the Canucks 4-straight and make the playoffs.

We will meet Sam Bennett in the Finals.

It's still within the realm of possibilities.

EDM needs top put the boots to MTL.

Considering that Smith drank the magic potion, which will wear off in round 1, they should easily beat MTL these last two games.

Koskinen is now suspect, so I think he's lost the net.

FLA is going to have a tough time getting out of the EAST.