Blockbuster: Hamilton Ferland Fox for Hanifin Lindholm

The_People1

• Replies 493
  • Created
  • Last Reply
22 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

Ya I agree.  But another thing is, while he can do it all, no one in this league can do it all, all the time.  Especially on first line minutes.  It's too taxing on the body and so he has to adjust his game for an 82 game season.  

When he goes into crash and bang mode for a week, scoring disappears.  When he goes on a scoring streak, the hits aren't there anymore.  Etc.

I would expect that if it was true.  What we saw was nights where he was physical and separated the puck from the other team, but also was a force by the net.  The other nights was completely passive, not doing anything.  That's the way I saw it.   

Just now, kehatch said:

The Ferland we saw in the Vancouver playoffs was an impact player. He lost that. Whether it was injuries, his time in the top line, or something else I don't know.

Totally agree. He still hits, but nothing like the devastation he brought on Vancouver. "19yo Sam Bennett" and "Ferkland".

Good mems.

Well I think this could be a trade we win down the line.  Upfront we lost the best player in the trade but got 2 number 5 draft picks back!

The board has been crying out for a RW for the top line and BT delivered.  Being sowewhat distant from all the local emotion I think I like the deal.   Ithink you have got to question why a a good Dman like Hamilton has been traded twice this early in his career?   Fox could be like that no name son of some young Dman we lost to NYR and then a bunch of other teams.   For life of me cannot remember his name.   Of course Fox could also turn into a stud Dman.    Sorry to see Ferland go but in a business sense I think this was a very astute move by BT and moving him at the right time.

So in the end we will not know who wins this trade for a few more years.  But we just got younger, grabbed a top 6 RW and just maybe our D is better as a whole unit for this move even if we lost the best player in the deal.

1 hour ago, The_Snowbear said:

He was no Wears Near as Physical has he can be and as we have seen him in the passed

I think allot of that can be attributed to GG, he was always talking about trying to reel Ferland back, telling him to try and make 3 hits a game. The game is completely over coached these days, sometime you have to just let the players instincts take over and use the tools that got him here in the first place.

2 minutes ago, MAC331 said:

So you don't think that can be improved on ?

I don't think it needs to be. Both had dreadful SH%s last year.

Sometimes an off year is just an off year and not a trend.

Add Mangia, speed and hands. Protected by the 2 possession gods like Tkachuk was.

Bennett-Janx-Tkachuk.

I think we're under-estimating Janxy, he just had his rookie season.

5 minutes ago, conundrumed said:

I don't think it needs to be. Both had dreadful SH%s last year.

Sometimes an off year is just an off year and not a trend.

Add Mangia, speed and hands. Protected by the 2 possession gods like Tkachuk was.

Bennett-Janx-Tkachuk.

I think we're under-estimating Janxy, he just had his rookie season.

That's the direction of like to see in camp as well.

Frolik struggled last season. I think moving him to the third line is both likely and the right move. It strengthens the bottom 6 and gives us an opportunity to add a better fit to the Backlund line. 

Lindholm is a great option, though he is penciled into the top line. I suggested Shore. He provides a RH shot and face off, defensive ability, and similar offense to Frolik. I think he is underrated and could have a big year. 

2 minutes ago, kehatch said:

Frolik struggled last season. I think moving him to the third line is both likely and the right move. It strengthens the bottom 6 and gives us an opportunity to add a better fit to the Backlund line. 

Lindholm is a great option, though he is penciled into the top line. I suggested Shore. He provides a RH shot and face off, defensive ability, and similar offense to Frolik. I think he is underrated and could have a big year. 

I like shore too, and see where a breakout could happen but for him to be a top 6 forward it would take an extremely rare career breakout given what he's shown so far. I'll not sure that's something the Flames can or should be thinking of. 

5 minutes ago, kehatch said:

I could be wrong, but I believe Frolik plays a big part in Backlund's possession stats. He had an off year, I believe, so Backlund did also.

I still maintain Frolik is our best forechecker and backchecker. Iirc, he's also high up there in fitness testing.

In my eyes, there's very good chemistry between the 2. I'm very hesitant to break it up. I just believe they make each other better.

8 minutes ago, cross16 said:

I like shore too, and see where a breakout could happen but for him to be a top 6 forward it would take an extremely rare career breakout given what he's shown so far. I'll not sure that's something the Flames can or should be thinking of. 

Who is in the mix for the spot though? Brouwer, Frolik, Bennett, Shore, Lazar? All of those guys got 26 points or less, Shore was inline with that production despite limited opportunity. Only Brouwer and Shore are RH shots. 

My guess it ends up being Bennett, Frolik, or an external player. But Shore might be worth a shot. 

21 hours ago, robrob74 said:

We went to inorov but don’t want to sacrifice for it. 

Ok, should never have moved Ovechkin off of Backstrom’s line then. Should never have moved Bouma off of Backlund’s line either. It worked. 

Ovechkin is fine withiut Backstrom. Frolik could very well be declining. He’s young, but last year was a down year. Not saying he’s not going to rebound. But we can get Backlund better wingers and improve his play, you do it.

EDITED IN:

i dont get it. What is the reason we traded Hamilton? We just traded Hamilton because? He worked with Giordano. Up until he was traded most agreed here that he worked a lot better with Giordano than Brodie did, so don’t break it...

Debatable who worked better with Gio. "a lot better" is a stretch. What I don't get is after we traded Freddie, Dougie played much better. Was he mad? Did he ask for the trade? Did he wake up? Did Flames piss him off because of that move? Considering that Hamilton was a BT trade you would think he would have stuck with him longer. There must be a reason he pulled the plug on him early and now. (I would guess a trade request)

Main point is Gio works with just about anyone. End of last season Gio played a fair amount with Hamonic and they paired well together too. When Brodie was on the right side and Gio on the left, they were both in the  Norris discussion and Brodie was also on the Team Canada's radar.

38 minutes ago, kehatch said:

Who is in the mix for the spot though? Brouwer, Frolik, Bennett, Shore, Lazar? All of those guys got 26 points or less, Shore was inline with that production despite limited opportunity. Only Brouwer and Shore are RH shots. 

My guess it ends up being Bennett, Frolik, or an external player. But Shore might be worth a shot. 

Bit of cherry-picking there. Frolik is generally good for 15-20goals/40-45pts.

About a 0.5ppg career.

48 minutes ago, conundrumed said:

Bit of cherry-picking there. Frolik is generally good for 15-20goals/40-45pts.

About a 0.5ppg career.

Not cherry picking. I picked last season. If Frolik rebounds that is great. But last season he really struggled. 

Just now, kehatch said:

Not cherry picking. I picked last season. If Frolik rebounds that is great. But last season he really struggled. 

Most did though. Shots were from outside too much. You'd think Claude Julien was our coach.

Frolik broke his jaw from a Burns shot.

Storytime.

When I was young and full of vinegar I thought it a good idea to take 2 US military guys outside for being total dicks.

No big, but one caught me with a boot that broke my jaw. Frolik missed, what, a month?

You've gotta be kidding me.

That's a 60 day easy, and for all of the nerves running to our heads, everything hurts.

We look and say, well only 12 games.

That's the NHL, only has to heal 50%, okay, get out there.

No doubt in my mind Frolik was back too soon, and nervous about his injury.

1 hour ago, DirtyDeeds said:

Debatable who worked better with Gio. "a lot better" is a stretch. What I don't get is after we traded Freddie, Dougie played much better. Was he mad? Did he ask for the trade? Did he wake up? Did Flames piss him off because of that move? Considering that Hamilton was a BT trade you would think he would have stuck with him longer. There must be a reason he pulled the plug on him early and now. (I would guess a trade request)

Main point is Gio works with just about anyone. End of last season Gio played a fair amount with Hamonic and they paired well together too. When Brodie was on the right side and Gio on the left, they were both in the  Norris discussion and Brodie was also on the Team Canada's radar.

Makes you wonder doesn't it.  The only thing I really question sometimes is Dougie's desire to win at all costs.  He loves to score goals.  He loves to win.  But I never saw him show the same dedication to winning as Gio.  Brodie can easily rebound to his former self, playing on his "preferred" side and playing with the guy he studied under for years.

We do have a true 2nd pair LD now.  We also have a 3rd pairing LD that is trending in the right direction.  Behind him is a LD who has played pro for a long time, but is still in the AHL.  As well, we have a high rated LD that could surprise or be brought along slowly.  On the right side we have Brodie, Hamonic and Andersson.  No further depth there, but we can draft again for that side.  We have 3+ years to figure out that.  Again. 

31 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

Makes you wonder doesn't it.  The only thing I really question sometimes is Dougie's desire to win at all costs.  He loves to score goals.  He loves to win.  But I never saw him show the same dedication to winning as Gio.  Brodie can easily rebound to his former self, playing on his "preferred" side and playing with the guy he studied under for years.

We do have a true 2nd pair LD now.  We also have a 3rd pairing LD that is trending in the right direction.  Behind him is a LD who has played pro for a long time, but is still in the AHL.  As well, we have a high rated LD that could surprise or be brought along slowly.  On the right side we have Brodie, Hamonic and Andersson.  No further depth there, but we can draft again for that side.  We have 3+ years to figure out that.  Again. 

Where do you have Stone ?

1 hour ago, kehatch said:

He did get pretty banged up last season. I think his first game back when he had that awful pass against Vegas and they mounted their comeback was a defining moment for how his season went. Frolik is a great pro, he plays the right way and has a very high IQ, I fully expect him to come to camp motivated and ready to rebound from last year.

3 hours ago, The_People1 said:

I feel we will also get Derek Ryan July 1st.  RHS C who is BP's pet in Carolina.  He should factor in somewhere.

It sort of feels like we'll be getting all of our offseason acquisitions from the mighty Carolina Hurricanes, doesn't it? 

Love. 

Archived