Oilers

36 minutes ago, Thebrewcrew said:

Crazy, McDavid is now the 2nd youngest forward on the NHL roster.

The blueline is a real concern 

Ekholm-Bouchard

Nurse- Emberson

Kulak-Stecher

They will need to add two D in-season. That 2026 1st round pick is as good as gone.

Theyre going to make the playoffs, but I’m not sure I see them winning the division with that group of six blueliners

Remember that "amazing PK" the Oilers had during the playoffs?

They forgot pretty quickly.

12 minutes ago, sak22 said:

File this one in the oops category.  While made sense to play others and give Ekholm and Bouchard a night off, small detail could've been thought about at the time, and without the playoffs maybe he doesn't get the offer sheet, but the guy was also not a happy camper in Edmonton for most of the season.

And Holloway is only at 89. That playoff run, only to lose in Game 7, is the gift that keeps on giving.

• Like 1

Monday Spec

Oilers front office fending off pesky Blues with slick moves (sportsnet.ca)

Tuesday Spec

Why Oilers not matching Broberg, Holloway offer sheets was smartest move (sportsnet.ca)

Why I can feel for Oiler fans sometimes.  It's easy to be delusional when you are spoonfed 1000% optimism all the time, and its not just Spector, but Stauffer, Matheson, Staples, Principe, CHED, add in the broadcasts are 3 hour pom-pom waving events when they win by not only Slobbering Jack and Louie, but the entire HNIC panel on national broadcasts, and tinfoil hat the refs are out to get us when we lose.  Worst in the nation IMO.

2 hours ago, sak22 said:

File this one in the oops category.  While made sense to play others and give Ekholm and Bouchard a night off, small detail could've been thought about at the time, and without the playoffs maybe he doesn't get the offer sheet, but the guy was also not a happy camper in Edmonton for most of the season.

Maybe the oops was not having him a regular before the playoffs this year.  He had 79 NHL games prior to those two end of season games.  Seeing Desharnais ahead of him must have PO'd him.  STL scouts the players they may want.  The Oilers caused the OS with the big middle finger to the league with the large number of UFA signings.  

22 minutes ago, Thebrewcrew said:

Crazy, McDavid is now the 2nd youngest forward on the NHL roster.

The blueline is a real concern 

Ekholm-Bouchard

Nurse- Emberson

Kulak-Stecher

They will need to add two D in-season. That 2026 1st round pick is as good as gone.

Theyre going to make the playoffs, but I’m not sure I see them winning the division with that group of six blueliners

If you look at signed player for the year McD is a UFA, it is fascinating.  Between him and Drai they are looking at 30M.  Add in 10M for the two signed D and perhaps 8M for Bouchard.  At that point they don't have a signed goalie that they are paying for; just one paid to not play.

1 hour ago, travel_dude said:

If you look at signed player for the year McD is a UFA, it is fascinating.  Between him and Drai they are looking at 30M.  Add in 10M for the two signed D and perhaps 8M for Bouchard.  At that point they don't have a signed goalie that they are paying for; just one paid to not play.

Skinner is gonna be a 5-6 mill goalie too. He's up in two years.

They're the oldest team in the league now. They've lost a lot of speed and skating ability this summer, not to mention youth. This window may only be the next two seasons. They're still a playoff team as long as 97 is there, but in two years, they have some major contracts on the books and as we like to point out, there are very few players of significance in their pipeline.

2 hours ago, Thebrewcrew said:

Skinner is gonna be a 5-6 mill goalie too. He's up in two years.

They're the oldest team in the league now. They've lost a lot of speed and skating ability this summer, not to mention youth. This window may only be the next two seasons. They're still a playoff team as long as 97 is there, but in two years, they have some major contracts on the books and as we like to point out, there are very few players of significance in their pipeline.

There is potential for more, the goalie market could get a little reset.  Shesterkin is up this year could seek to top Bobrovsky, Oettinger is an RFA with only 1 year after to UFA, Dallas could have to pay up to keep him long term.  Skinner isn't at their level, but in 2 years could the 5-6 million guys be 7-8 million, wouldn't shock me if that is the case, will have to see where the position is in 2 years but I dont see it improving too much in that time.

26 minutes ago, sak22 said:

There is potential for more, the goalie market could get a little reset.  Shesterkin is up this year could seek to top Bobrovsky, Oettinger is an RFA with only 1 year after to UFA, Dallas could have to pay up to keep him long term.  Skinner isn't at their level, but in 2 years could the 5-6 million guys be 7-8 million, wouldn't shock me if that is the case, will have to see where the position is in 2 years but I dont see it improving too much in that time.

Another thing, Skinner has a legitimate shot at being the #1 for Canada at the Four Nations. It shouldn’t, but that increases his cache to a degree. 

I think he’s an above average #1, which is quite valuable. 

I find it so funny that Oiler media is chugging the kool-aid of “taking less to win”

Janmark is a terrible example of taking less to win. He signed 1.4x3, coming off a 12 point season. He’s more a PTO candidate than a guy you commit ages 32-34 to.

9 minutes ago, Thebrewcrew said:

I find it so funny that Oiler media is chugging the kool-aid of “taking less to win”

Janmark is a terrible example of taking less to win. He signed 1.4x3, coming off a 12 point season. He’s more a PTO candidate than a guy you commit ages 32-34 to.

Jim Matheson is in the hall of fame. Let that sink in. 

It's hilarious he thinks Henrique took a discount to stay in Edm. Not sure giving a 2 year deal to a 34 year old player coming off injuries is a "discount". 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Thebrewcrew said:

I'm still waiting on the Draisaitll and Bouchard team friendly extensions, I believe Jimmy said Leon was close a month ago, not sure what the hold up my guess is the Oilers are offering too much money.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Oilers just failing all around.

McDavid's 27, Gretzky was done winning all of his cups by then and never won another.

Goofy comparison I know, but...  it's bad all around.  Bad like it has to be an owner thing to be this bad.    In theory, I will cheer for any Alberta team but I just can't do it with the Oilers how they are these days.  Oilers need a new owner imho.   It could happen too, if these under-age girls would stop settling out of court.

On 8/21/2024 at 7:59 PM, sak22 said:

I'm still waiting on the Draisaitll and Bouchard team friendly extensions, I believe Jimmy said Leon was close a month ago, not sure what the hold up my guess is the Oilers are offering too much money.

It never ceases to amaze me how the majority of Oilers fans ride with the media wind, no matter how many times the direction changes.

The story on Holloway now is that he screwed himself. If he had have taken half the $ with them now, Draisaitl would have gotten him the stats for a way bigger payday later.

The delusions are mind-boggling.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, conundrumed said:

It never ceases to amaze me how the majority of Oilers fans ride with the media wind, no matter how many times the direction changes.

The story on Holloway now is that he screwed himself. If he had have taken half the $ with them now, Draisaitl would have gotten him the stats for a way bigger payday later.

The delusions are mind-boggling.

The Oiler bloggers are mind numbing.  

"The Oilers had until 9:30 a.m. MT on Tuesday to make their decisions on Holloway and Broberg. The trade (which was announced at 7:30 a.m. MT) was brought upon by the Oilers threatening to match both offer sheets, leaving the Blues with nothing, if St. Louis didn’t sweeten the pot for them a little."

The Oilers deserve credit for strong-arming the Blues into giving up another third-round pick and a solid defensive prospect the same day they had to make their decision, but it only improves their grade by a little bit. No matter how you slice it, it’s a bad look to lose two highly touted young players at the same time. Now, it’s up to the Oilers to pivot. If they can flip these assets for players who can help them win, they could still come out ahead.

I suppose the STL picks could be worth something if STL is out of the playoff picture by TDL.  But one would question of logic of having no draft picks in the draft until the 6th round.

I will say I do think the strategy of getting under the cap in order to add at the deadline is a sound one and credit the Oilers for making that call. It's a bold one given they want to be a contender and as a contender giving up draft picks to move a player like Ceci isn't normal. Oilers D was suspect last year and it got worse. 

It's bold but it's also really risky. Unless they've uncovered something in Emberson (who does have good results albet in a small sample size last year) that's as bad a bottom 4 as you'll find in the Western conference. While sure you can look to improve that via trade that's where those assets are going to come into play. Top 4 dman are NOT cheap at the deadline:

- Joel Edmonson (not in a top 4) cost a 3rd and a 5. Oilers don't have a 5th

- Obviously we know what Hanifin went for. Oilers would have to move 2026 picks. 

- Walker. 1st round pick so unless the selling team wants a 2026 picks Oilers can't fish in this pond

- Tanev. Oilers don't have a prospect the caliber of Grushnikov.

-Big Z. could have pulled this off but again that's not a top 4 dman. 

Looking ahead to the deadline too there are quite a few dman who are pending UFAs but most of them are on teams that you'd expect to contend, or at least not be in the selling market. 

so bold choice, but a risky one because i'm not so sure those assets they got for Broberg and Holloway are going to get the type of value and player that Edm needs and I don't see how the Oilers can get back to the cup final with that D core and Skinner. 

2 hours ago, cross16 said:

Looking ahead to the deadline too there are quite a few dman who are pending UFAs but most of them are on teams that you'd expect to contend, or at least not be in the selling market. 

so bold choice, but a risky one because i'm not so sure those assets they got for Broberg and Holloway are going to get the type of value and player that Edm needs and I don't see how the Oilers can get back to the cup final with that D core and Skinner. 

Had they not bothered with Henrique, they may have been able to sign the guys they lost and still had Ceci.  Not sure about that, but it would have been easier to sign when they weren't up against the cap and it was late summer.  But, hey lets add forwards from FA and re-sign a guy that wasn't that much help.  I get Skinner or Arvidsson, but not all three plus Perry.  Kulak or Brown a top 4D?  Yikes.  Maybe short term replacement, but not expecting to contend.

49 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

Had they not bothered with Henrique, they may have been able to sign the guys they lost and still had Ceci.  Not sure about that, but it would have been easier to sign when they weren't up against the cap and it was late summer.  But, hey lets add forwards from FA and re-sign a guy that wasn't that much help.  I get Skinner or Arvidsson, but not all three plus Perry.  Kulak or Brown a top 4D?  Yikes.  Maybe short term replacement, but not expecting to contend.

I understand what they did up front except for Henrique. That never made sense to me. Get you want to win faceoffs but you can find another way to win faceoffs IMO that doesn't cost 3 mill a year. 

Not worth it IMO. 

19 minutes ago, cross16 said:

I understand what they did up front except for Henrique. That never made sense to me. Get you want to win faceoffs but you can find another way to win faceoffs IMO that doesn't cost 3 mill a year. 

Not worth it IMO. 

I guess you could say that his goals in two playoff games against FLA were game winners.  2-1 goal in the 8-1 win and 2-1 goal in the 5-1 win.  Is defense never important to them?  Ryan McLeod could be used to get D?  Needed to sign 3 UFA forwards?  Strengthen the area they were not weak in.  You don't need three forwards added in FA.  

In some ways the offer sheets from the Blues did help(force) the Oilers to clear some cap. They’d have been up against it if Broberg or Halloway had career years. Bouchard is not taking less than Nurse’s $9.25M, he’s clearly outplayed him the last 2 years. The problem is the lack of depth where it matters most, if Skinner gets injured or any of their key D men they will need career years from their fringe players to stay competitive. Theyll definitely grab 1-2 D men via trade, all the talk right now is them signing Tyson Barrie to a league min. Contract. Pretty crazy Tyson Barrie can’t find any suitors , he’s still a serviceable D men when he plays shorter mins. If Draistal doesn’t resign it’ll be a tough year for Oiler management , having already lost 2 top prospects. 

3 hours ago, rickross said:

In some ways the offer sheets from the Blues did help(force) the Oilers to clear some cap. They’d have been up against it if Broberg or Halloway had career years. Bouchard is not taking less than Nurse’s $9.25M, he’s clearly outplayed him the last 2 years. The problem is the lack of depth where it matters most, if Skinner gets injured or any of their key D men they will need career years from their fringe players to stay competitive. Theyll definitely grab 1-2 D men via trade, all the talk right now is them signing Tyson Barrie to a league min. Contract. Pretty crazy Tyson Barrie can’t find any suitors , he’s still a serviceable D men when he plays shorter mins. If Draistal doesn’t resign it’ll be a tough year for Oiler management , having already lost 2 top prospects. 

So, the Oilers have $945k in cap.  That's for a 22 man roster.  Not enough to bank much cap, and if Kane is on LTIR they gain nothing.  They can however bring in a player.

14F with the extra guy making less than $945k and they have zero cap space with Kane on the team.

Putting Kane on LTIR gains them the full amount of cap space for his salary, but only while he is off.

5 hours ago, rickross said:

Something mentioned in an article was the bonus money carried over from last year for Brown. Ouch! A 3.25M ouch! That probably would have saved one or both players if they didn't try play hardball with them.

18 minutes ago, robrob74 said:

Something mentioned in an article was the bonus money carried over from last year for Brown. Ouch! A 3.25M ouch! That probably would have saved one or both players if they didn't try play hardball with them.

I recall when they signed Brown to that bonus heavy contract. The guy just had to stay healthy to get his bonus. Definitely $ that could have been better allocated to Broberg and Halloway. It’s crazy to think but I think Podkolzin and Boucher are their only RFAs now, they got old super fast! Draisatl knows other teams can offer him the max deal. He can be the highest paid player on pretty much any other team or remain the 2nd highest paid player eternally as a Oiler

3 hours ago, rickross said:

I recall when they signed Brown to that bonus heavy contract. The guy just had to stay healthy to get his bonus. Definitely $ that could have been better allocated to Broberg and Halloway. It’s crazy to think but I think Podkolzin and Boucher are their only RFAs now, they got old super fast! Draisatl knows other teams can offer him the max deal. He can be the highest paid player on pretty much any other team or remain the 2nd highest paid player eternally as a Oiler

it depends on how close he is to McDavid.

the other part of it too is Mc David probably pushes him to be better. On top of that, how much does he have to play defensively? 

other ideas are, how many roots has he planted in Edmonton. I've been once, they have at least one gluten free restaurant! That's not enough for me, but... ya.