Oilers

3 hours ago, MP5029 said:

Looks like they may get swept...kinda not a playoff team I’m guessing? Lol

This is why they don't have their own forum lol.

Is a little sad if I'm being completely honest.   My personal mantra is to boo them all regular season and, if the Flames don't make it, cheer them in the playoffs.

But in reality I don't...can't.

No D.  No goaltending.

No cup.

3 hours ago, jjgallow said:

This is why they don't have their own forum lol.

Is a little sad if I'm being completely honest.   My personal mantra is to boo them all regular season and, if the Flames don't make it, cheer them in the playoffs.

But in reality I don't...can't.

No D.  No goaltending.

No cup.

It was fun for them while it lasted.

Fresh Mike Smith after an extended vacation, but you knew at some point, the real Smith would show up.

High glove, high glove, high glove.

The Hartt and Ross the cups for this team.

This was the chance for them to get out of the division, in a season that will be marked with a *.

Out dueled with a Jets team missing their #2C (1 game) and #2 winger (2 games).

When you look at the depth of the Oilers, it's almost laughable.

Ryan McLeod (0 NHL goals) and Yamamoto (goaless in 16 games to finish the season) as your 2nd line.

Opt for "speed" by sitting Neal and Chaisson, bringing in Shore and Haas and Ennis.

A lotto team if McD or Drai don't get points.

Zero balance in the lineup.

I couldn't even sheer for them if I hated the Jets more.

7 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

It was fun for them while it lasted.

Fresh Mike Smith after an extended vacation, but you knew at some point, the real Smith would show up.

High glove, high glove, high glove.

The Hartt and Ross the cups for this team.

This was the chance for them to get out of the division, in a season that will be marked with a *.

Out dueled with a Jets team missing their #2C (1 game) and #2 winger (2 games).

When you look at the depth of the Oilers, it's almost laughable.

Ryan McLeod (0 NHL goals) and Yamamoto (goaless in 16 games to finish the season) as your 2nd line.

Opt for "speed" by sitting Neal and Chaisson, bringing in Shore and Haas and Ennis.

A lotto team if McD or Drai don't get points.

Zero balance in the lineup.

I couldn't even sheer for them if I hated the Jets more.

McDavid should have said, on draft day, 

Look.   You got the wrong Albertan City.  This is supposed be a draft for NHL teams.

I am shocked that more prospects haven't refused to come up to the podium/guillotine.

1 minute ago, jjgallow said:

Look.   You got the wrong Albertan City.  This is supposed be a draft for NHL teams.

I am shocked that more prospects haven't refused to come up to the podium/guillotine.

I'm sure Gretzky and Messier both spent a lot of time talking it up to him.  The great fans and traditions.

In fact, Messier was key in getting him to the city the first season.

He was also told by countless GM's that they would build a team around him.

His mistake was believing Chiapet and Capmaster Kenny.

You think we need a re-tool, the Oilers are one injury away from the basement.

They may have some decent prospects in the system, but the D all seem to be in the Barrie or Nurse mold.

Lavoie is the kind of regular season player that they don't need.

22 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

I'm sure Gretzky and Messier both spent a lot of time talking it up to him.  The great fans and traditions.

In fact, Messier was key in getting him to the city the first season.

He was also told by countless GM's that they would build a team around him.

His mistake was believing Chiapet and Capmaster Kenny.

You think we need a re-tool, the Oilers are one injury away from the basement.

They may have some decent prospects in the system, but the D all seem to be in the Barrie or Nurse mold.

Lavoie is the kind of regular season player that they don't need.

It makes me so mad how much talent they have wasted.

Do you remember when.....they came out of their failed reubuild, and they were like...we need another rebuild....

and then they drafted RNH?

It was like, their management must have got together and been like

"hey, so, these young prospects are obviously under a lot of pressure and scrutiny, and we have a lot riding on their successful development".

"what should we do"?

.hhmm

hmmm

what should they do.

Well it is Obvious.

They should do a REALITY TV SHOW of COURSE

I know we've talked about this on here.  But I can't stop.

It was at this moment that I realised the depth of tragedy they had fallen to.   And...I watched...in horror....as they actually talked, on the reality tv show, about how important their development was.  lol.     

then they actually had an episode about how real prospects play through injuries.   I was like how are they not all in jail.

At the time, I had some level of family connection with management there, they were trying to get me to wear Oilers Jerseys and wanted to see my excitement and I was like hey I'm sorry you guys are great I love you but this is going to be aweful.    And we just stopped talking after that.

35 minutes ago, jjgallow said:

if I am a prospect and want to get to the NHL, Edm might not look like a bad place to start, they’d have spots. But then I guess I’d be worried about my development and I’d say the same for the Flames.

59 minutes ago, robrob74 said:

if I am a prospect and want to get to the NHL, Edm might not look like a bad place to start, they’d have spots. But then I guess I’d be worried about my development and I’d say the same for the Flames.

I think the difference btween the two is one will burn you if it takes the pressure off management or the fan faves.

The other will do the "right thing" of you are a community guy.

We talk the right thing about ripening in the AHL, but they spoil on the trees before they get a chance.  Mostly.

For every Mangiapane, there is a couple of Kylington's, Klimchuk's, Phillips and Philp's.

How many players here get a chance to play with Gaudreau, while Yamamoto gets a line of Nuge and Draisaitl.

Dube didn't get that chance much at all.  You might argue that he didn't earn it this year.

Gawdin and Ruzicka got to play with noted stars Ritchie and Norstrom.

What team can boast opportunity like that?

(sarcasm off).

I don't know why this is heart warming, but dang it feels good not to have to listen to the media going on and on about them.

Two years in a row of qualifying for the play-offs and zero actual play-off sries wins.

Not like we have anything to cheer about, but I think us fans were very quick to point out issues with the team.

You would be lucky to hear an Oiler fan say anyting negative without being called a troll.

Until now that is.

It still seems like some are trying to find some excuse why they lost.

Refs were not fair.

They were the better team but were unlucky....for 4 games.

That is was Player X's fault.

Insert whipping boy name.....Archibald, Bear, Khaira, Chaisson, bla bla bla.

It came down to overplaying two forwards and a couple of D-men.

No depth does that.

30 minutes ago, rocketdoctor said:

was a great game.

got to give Smitty his dues he had a bounce back year.

Well done Jets

Smitty is a free agent again....maybe a cheap back up option......?  He would be good for the 20 games Sutter would give him. 

First no to Smitty

second, clearly the oil is not built for the postseason with a 4 game sweep from the Jets...

funny that was Cgy a few years back...hopefully Cgy manages to build a solid team for both the season and the post season this year!

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, MP5029 said:

First no to Smitty

second, clearly the oil is not built for the postseason with a 4 game sweep from the Jets...

funny that was Cgy a few years back...hopefully Cgy manages to build a solid team for both the season and the post season this year!

I think Sutter hockey is built right now more to the playoffs.

Not that we would have done any damage, but I think we could have beaten Toronto at least once and perhaps the Jets about the same.

That's not a measure of success though.

EDM's 2nd line C was a guy that spent most of the season in the AHL and had zero goals.  You can't win with a single line that can score.

Especially considering the top 2 players were held off the scoreboard for two games.

The Oilers need about as much of a re-tool as the Flames, if not more.  Smith was good, but this was about the best they could hope for out of him.

Kinda reminds me of the Flames a few years ago.

3 hours ago, MP5029 said:

First no to Smitty

The Oilers are literally an extinction level event.

They are showing us how oil is made using hockey players. 

• Haha 1

Until the Oilers can become a good 5 on 5 team, or the NHL changes their playoff officiating, they are going to continue to struggle in the playoffs. They rely too much on the PP because their depth is just so bad and when whistles go away in the playoffs they are in tough. 

Having said that I do think the Oilers probably deserved a better fate in this series but that's how the playoffs go sometimes. 

They have cap space opening up but a big question of what they do with RNH and still ALOT of holes they need to file. They basically do not have a middle 6 and with no high end forwards prospects coming i'm not sure how they plan to move the needle. It's not a great FA crop this year. 

I'm legit interested on how McDavid handles this and does he ask for a trade because I don't see a path to a contender in the next 2-3 years (that isn't even fool proof) and i'm sure he sees the same thing. He's got to be tired of this. 

35 minutes ago, cross16 said:

Until the Oilers can become a good 5 on 5 team, or the NHL changes their playoff officiating, they are going to continue to struggle in the playoffs. They rely too much on the PP because their depth is just so bad and when whistles go away in the playoffs they are in tough. 

Having said that I do think the Oilers probably deserved a better fate in this series but that's how the playoffs go sometimes. 

They have cap space opening up but a big question of what they do with RNH and still ALOT of holes they need to file. They basically do not have a middle 6 and with no high end forwards prospects coming i'm not sure how they plan to move the needle. It's not a great FA crop this year. 

I'm legit interested on how McDavid handles this and does he ask for a trade because I don't see a path to a contender in the next 2-3 years (that isn't even fool proof) and i'm sure he sees the same thing. He's got to be tired of this. 

Some would have you believe (Gregor) that the Oilers only need improve in steps and they will be that contender.

As if that happens all the time.

You have to be incredibly luck like Tampa last year that you could use LTIR and cap space effectively enough to add at TDL.

And be ready to give up picks without fear.

Koskinen should have been a better goalie this year, but he was overplayed when Smith was on vacation.

Now, he's a $4.5m hole and not a fear to be claimed in the draft.

Neal accounts for another amount of dead cap space, and they know what they have in him now.

Just rambling.  I don't see a real path forward for them.  How do you improve a team without gving up some assets that only help the top end.

Yamamoto suffered from a sophomore regression, and suddenly they are really a one line team.

Russell, McLeod, Kassian, Khaira, Chaisson, Haas, Archibald, Ennis, Shore is your depth?

Phew.

Can't afford Barrie now to score a bunch of PP points.

All eyes on Broberg and Bouchard, who will probably help scoring but be questionable on defense.

I'm not saying that their prospects are trash, but if you don't even have a 2nd line, you won't be able to compete just adding more rookies.

15 minutes ago, lou44291 said:

https://www.thescore.com/nhl/news/2177903

Holland says he wants to re-sign Smith, I want him to as well! 

👍🏻😂

https://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog/Sean-Maloughney/Dissecting-Ken-Hollads-Post-Season-Presser/261/111711

First priority - re-sign RFA and some UFA's.

Second priority - tweak the roster a bit, as they were so close to winning 3 of 4 games.

Buyouts - very possible

Refreshing that EDM is thinking Smith is part of the solution and that real depth is not a priority.

I would be very surprised if RNH stays. If he stays in Edmonton, he's either a 3rd line centre or a winger. If he tests the market, there are teams that will gladly employ him as a 1st or 2nd line C. ARI/MIN/CBJ. He's come this far, he would be foolish not to hold out to free agency and see what the rest of the league thinks of him. He's a better player than Kevin Hayes, who signed for 7.1x7 before last season. 

Every team has holes, that's the reality of the cap, but the Oilers have a bunch of several glaring holes at key spots. 

• Starting Goalie
  • Top 4 LHD, if Klefbom is unable to play
  • 2 Top 6 LW
  • 3rd line C

It looks like the Oilers will be using Free Agency to build their roster for next season, which should terrify Oiler fans. They feel like the team to offer Hyman a 7yr deal.

I hate to harp on poor drafting, because it's so easy to be an Armchair GM and look back at drafts, but the Oilers just haven't done very well in that aspect of team building, you need to draft and develop if you wanna win.

Penguins- Crosby, Malkin, Letang, Murray, Fleury, Guentzel, Sheary, Rust, Dumoulin, Maatta

Blackhawks- Kane, Toews, Keith, Seabrook, Crawford, Saad, Shaw, Hjalmarsson, Teravavinen

Kings- Doughty, Kopitar, Quick, Brown, Pearson, Toffoli, Muzzin, Martinez

Lightning- Stamkos, Hedman, Kucherov, Point, Palat, Killorn, Vasilevskiy, Gourde

All those teams have had lotto luck like the Oilers have, which landed them elite talent. The reason those clubs have raised banners, they've had success finding elite talent later in the draft. The Oilers haven't

One pick that did surprise me was Broberg in 2019. He may end up being a really good player, but I would have taken Zegras or even Caufield. That's just me though..

• Like 2