Oilers

EDM played well last night, but If they make the playoffs they are in for a bowl of disappointment.

Top ranked PP. Good luck getting more than a PP or 2 a game in playoffs. They’ve got almost 50 goals on the PP. Hitchcock once had a good line about teams that are  too reliant on the PP, I’ll paraphrase but it’s something like “if you need your PP tonwin you games, you aren’t that good”

Lack of depth will do them in

20 hours ago, Thebrewcrew said:

EDM played well last night, but If they make the playoffs they are in for a bowl of disappointment.

Top ranked PP. Good luck getting more than a PP or 2 a game in playoffs. They’ve got almost 50 goals on the PP. Hitchcock once had a good line about teams that are  too reliant on the PP, I’ll paraphrase but it’s something like “if you need your PP tonwin you games, you aren’t that good”

Lack of depth will do them in

I do think they're a bit better than we think they are. They have about as many lines and players as we do that can contribute. Our team has too many holes as well. I can't see us getting past the first round if we're not playing a Pacific Division team in the first round. None of the Pacific teams are very good. I actually think the Canucks and Oilers might be passing us in their depth... the oilers are closer, but their best players are better than our best players which put them over us.

2 hours ago, robrob74 said:

I do think they're a bit better than we think they are. They have about as many lines and players as we do that can contribute. Our team has too many holes as well. I can't see us getting past the first round if we're not playing a Pacific Division team in the first round. None of the Pacific teams are very good. I actually think the Canucks and Oilers might be passing us in their depth... the oilers are closer, but their best players are better than our best players which put them over us.

Vancouver is the best western Canadian team, no question. 

I have a hard time crediting the Oilers as deep, especially when the drop from Mcdavid as their 2nd leading scorer to Nuge is 47 points. But to be fair they are better than I, or anyone expected.

That being said, as a loyal and die-hard Flames fan, I can’t see them beating anyone in a 7 game series. No clue what team you’re getting on a night to night basis 

1 hour ago, Carty said:

Someone sent me this post from their chat box...   Apparently some people where happy that Gio was hurt...   Doesn't really surprise me though...

0a1026818fbbd67d49a32fefb1492970.png

Seriously?

Bronco used to be credible and respectful.

This seems to be the 2nd time he has come out with this type of garbage.

I could be wrong, but I remember Deeds posting something he started on the Oilers forum before it went belly up.

I'm here to take my well deserved flogging.  Yes I said it, and yes it was wrong to do.  It was in the heat of the moment after seeing what I thought to be an attempt to injure from Gio to McDavid.  It wasn't just me that thought it at the very least should have been a penalty, most analysts (Including former Flame GM Brian Burke) agreed as well.

That being said, it was uncalled for and should never have been posted and I do regret typing and posting it.   I can't take it back, but I can say that it was wrong and I apologize.

• Like 4

13 minutes ago, robrob74 said:

Holy Satoshi Nakamoto Kassian with the big kick with his skate! That’s Blockchaining extreme potential damage. 

This is what he had to say to Sportsnet after the game...

"That play he was holding my leg and it was just reactionary. I just tried to get loose. I was laying there awhile and I was trying to get my leg out and get moving."

- Zack Kassian

:rolleyes:...   Let's see if player safety believes that one...   :lol:

1 minute ago, Carty said:

"That play he was holding my leg and it was just reactionary. I just tried to get loose. I was laying there awhile and I was trying to get my leg out and get moving." - Zack Kassian

his own guy was on him

I’ll be very interested to see if any of the Oilers players or ex-players who decided to spout off about the code, and what is “right” after the Tkachuk hits/non fight, will take the time to condemn this incident like they were so happy to do in the media before.

If they do not, then it sure paints them as giant hypocrites. Guys like Kevin Bieksa, Ryan Kessler and others, who had no issues with throwing their two cents out there, better be at the forefront once again.

If it were me i would throw the book at Kassian and give him 20 games. He clearly is not learning and not listening to previous punishment or discussion around his play and while the outcome here was basically nothing the action is brutal and has zero place in the game. Anything less than 10 games is a slap on the wrist and an absolute joke. A strong message needs to be sent here. 

Pronger got 8 games for his stomp on Kesler and that's the closest comp we have I think. I thought 8 games was a joke for that too so i think there sound be a minimum of 10 games here. 

12 hours ago, Carty said:

This is what he had to say to Sportsnet after the game...

"That play he was holding my leg and it was just reactionary. I just tried to get loose. I was laying there awhile and I was trying to get my leg out and get moving."

- Zack Kassian

I get the bias but looking at this objectively, I saw a "push" as opposed to a "kick".  Dangerous, yes.  But more like a 2-gamer.  But as mentioned by Bronco, since he was recently suspended, he probably gets 5 here.

He should get the book thrown at him had he corked back and aimed at Cernak's head/neck area.  This is not the case.

IMO push or kick is irrelevant. His reaction to this is the problem. 

but for what it's worth, Kassian in his own words admitted he kicked him and even tries to say he could have kicked him harder. He is exactly the type of guy the league needs to throw the book at. ZERO regard or respect for the other players out there. 

But it is NHL "Player safety", which is an oxymoron in it's own right, so the suspension will be minimal. 

"He was holding my leg. It was just reactionary," Kassian said, according to Sportsnet. "I was just trying to get him off me, kick him off me. I was just trying to get my foot loose."

He added: "If I kicked him hard, he would have flew back, or the ref would have called a penalty.

11 hours ago, The_People1 said:

I get the bias but looking at this objectively, I saw a "push" as opposed to a "kick".  Dangerous, yes.  But more like a 2-gamer.  But as mentioned by Bronco, since he was recently suspended, he probably gets 5 here.

He should get the book thrown at him had he corked back and aimed at Cernak's head/neck area.  This is not the case.

Speaking objectively, it's still a kick and not a push...   He draws his foot back in order to wind up for a kick...   Even a push with a skate is a bad enough infraction to warrant a measure of discipline as it's done with a sharp blade on your foot, but I think the league will call it a kick, and rightfully so...   and no doubt the kick could have been harder, but...

A month ago, Kassian was telling anyone that would listen that there were some things a player just shouldn't do, the need to respect other players, and "the code'...

I think he will likely get 5 or 6 games, but I wouldn't rule out the possibility of up to 10 to send a message...   Kassian has once again shown that he can't control his temper, and it's only a month since his last suspension, and he is now a repeat offender...    I think if they don't give him at least 5 or 6 games, there is a good chance that he does something else stupid and dangerous before the end of the season...   and they are aware of that as well...

• Like 1

17 hours ago, cross16 said:

Just a farce at this point. How you thought a former enforcer would do a good job running player safety is beyond me. 

Just a terrible department doing a terrible job protecting players. Tarnishing their product imo. 

In my opinion, the NHL shouldn't take into account damage done but rather penalize actions based on intent to injure and potential to add unnecessary injury.  

Like, elbowing someone in the head.  It's a 2-game if the other guy skates away but a 5-game if you do it to Micheal Ferland and he never players in the NHL again?  It's the same action.  It should be penalized the same amount.  If you use your skates to "kick/push" someone, it shouldn't matter if the other guy gets cut or skates away.  You almost should penalize them as if the other guy bleeds out.

Anyways, i digress.

18 hours ago, cross16 said:

Just a farce at this point. How you thought a former enforcer would do a good job running player safety is beyond me. 

Just a terrible department doing a terrible job protecting players. Tarnishing their product imo. 

FWIW...   My guess that it would be likely 5 or 6 games, and possibly a bit more was based on how the DPS has been handling infractions...

if you freeze that clip I posted at 25 seconds it looks like this...

97040353c5b7e481657486f6eb2bf466.png

The toe of his skate blade can't be more than 6 inches from the open neck area above the jersey...   What if Cernak had either leaned or been tilted forward by Archibald struggling to get out from under the pile right at that moment in time...   It could very easily have been much worse...   Kassian's bear hug on Cernak is what caused the incident in the first place, and then Archibald comes flying in like a bowling ball...

I would have given Kassian 10 games for the infraction, and then added between 5 or 10 more as it had only been a month since Kassian's last temper tantrum...

My guess is Kassian will not even make it a year before he does something that is both stupid and dangerous once again...   His history tells the story...

6be7527321a6ab946411fbbe08679a1a.png

He will definitely be on the radar for DPS as a repeat offender though, and hopefully no one gets seriously injured before they throw the book at him...   

Too long to quote but I agree with both of you. A long standing problem with NHL player safety and suspensions is they tend to penalize the result and not the action or intent and this is a prime example. Giving out a small punishment because Cernak was lucky and didn’t get hurt is ridiculous 

I think the NHL needs to move away from using former players as the head of player safety. Stop the cycle. 

4 hours ago, cross16 said:

Too long to quote but I agree with both of you. A long standing problem with NHL player safety and suspensions is they tend to penalize the result and not the action or intent and this is a prime example. Giving out a small punishment because Cernak was lucky and didn’t get hurt is ridiculous 

I think the NHL needs to move away from using former players as the head of player safety. Stop the cycle. 

go NFL, don’t they have a specific penalty for each infraction? An elbow to the head is this much! A player knows and it is enforced. The player knows of all of them. Then the rules are enforced, all of them. 

it’s like in game. A ref doesn’t call a penalty and then the game gets out of hand. Players start to police the other team. 

what happens when a guy is policing and then gets into a fight and then concussed. I guess the fact the refs suck can’t be put into a lawsuit. I guess that’s part of “the code” as well. 

but I agree, player safety is too biased. Chara gets only a fine for his blatant cross check to the neck of Gallagher? He has a hard time swallowing, but One or two inches higher he breaks his jaw or he is spitting chiclets. the intent was there but again they penalized on the damage he incurred. A part of that fine is, it was Chara, who gets away with a lot, plus he plays for Boston, which has typically had lower suspicion lengths than average when they get suspended.

i also don’t believe they should be lenient on stars. Stars should get the same suspension as a 4th liner. To say that a player can do the exact same thing but because they’re more important to the team is BS. They need to have the same penalty and it’s their fault they cost their team possible wins. I think it sends the wrong message as well.

• 2 weeks later...