Bill Peters - 17th Flames Coach

phoenix66

5 hours ago, conundrumed said:

What kind of loser quotes himself?;):ph34r:

I think Peters is doing okay. Love the use of rookies, putting Brodie back on the right, rewarding players playing well.

Don't like the Ryan overuse, Backs-Frolik not being the #1 PK, and the 2 PP in general.

Lmao! My dude I'll admit it felt weird! Almost had to shower after! :unsure: Regarding Peters, im just hoping he can solidify an identity for this team. This "heartbreak kids" thing is getting tired and it's unsustainable. 

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
13 hours ago, rickross said:

Lmao! My dude I'll admit it felt weird! Almost had to shower after! :unsure: Regarding Peters, im just hoping he can solidify an identity for this team. This "heartbreak kids" thing is getting tired and it's unsustainable. 

Don't worry. It's natural. If you can't quote yourself then how will you ever figure out how you like to be quoted? 

5 hours ago, kehatch said:

Don't worry. It's natural. If you can't quote yourself then how will you ever figure out how you like to be quoted? 

Or it might have been a laugh with RR.

One or the other.

I'd go One personally.

Or Kiss My Rask, lol.

aka the loser that quotes himself and I won't let it go.

Because it's fun and I'd expect the same in return.

Camaraderie.

• 2 weeks later...
10 minutes ago, JTech780 said:

Peters has got this team playing some pretty darn good hockey, and now we are getting some solid goaltending from both tenders. 

The O-zone starts thing is interesting.  A couple of causes.  One is lots of stoppable shots frozen by goalie.  Another is enough pressure that the goalie freezes it.   A third might be forced icings from pressure.  Any way you sice it, that helps.  Backlund is also good on D-zone draws, even with his struggles of late.

12 minutes ago, JTech780 said:

Don't discount how much this means to the players. Well done by Peters for getting all his players in the lineup. This will only help h gain more trust and buy in front his players.

I don't think anyone should have a problem with how BP alternates his Goalies from here, both are playing well. Be good if both get adequate work in the net.

1 minute ago, MAC331 said:

I don't think anyone should have a problem with how BP alternates his Goalies from here, both are playing well. Be good if both get adequate work in the net.

I think most people are scratching their heads with Prout getting in the lineup tonight, not the goalies. That said- hoping Prout can have a solid game. 

15 minutes ago, JTech780 said:

Don't discount how much this means to the players. Well done by Peters for getting all his players in the lineup. This will only help h gain more trust and buy in front his players.

I don't have any issues with his coaching decisions, since he sees a lot more of the team than you or I.  

It's not like they have hurt the team.  We can debate what a better lineup choice would be, but we don't have skin in the game.

Last year we had players come up for months and not get games.

Or they ran the goalie until he broke.

Misused the backups.

Not this year.

3 minutes ago, Squilliam89 said:

I think most people are scratching their heads with Prout getting in the lineup tonight, not the goalies. That said- hoping Prout can have a solid game. 

Again, Peters wants everyone to play in front of their fathers on the trip. Also, this was almost always going to happen here, I believe it's his first game in Columbus since he left the team (he played his first 224 games there, he's only played 243 games)

1 minute ago, Squilliam89 said:

Said elsehwere, but Prout is not a downgrade from a rookie that could or does make mistakes.  

He's a vet.

Loss of skating for heavier hitter.

He's gotten in games and helped Stockton, so it should be a good look for him.

I watched a clip of Josh Anderson smashing a guy into the boards.

He's a big dude.  

Who do we have to stand up for the players for that?

Hamonic?

Hathaway?

• 2 weeks later...

Something that I think I like about this team is, Peters is really using his strengths in D to their potential. He has them activated, a green light to pinch. 

It feels a lot like Hartley + GG = Peters. I think I am going more with how Hartley utilized the D. Allowing them to do their thing really helps to push the limits in the offensive zone. I give Peters a lot of credit for that.

GG didn’t as much and the offence dried up. The D is better and still pinch. A few gaffs here and there, but using the limits helps them score.

55 minutes ago, robrob74 said:

Something that I think I like about this team is, Peters is really using his strengths in D to their potential. He has them activated, a green light to pinch. 

It feels a lot like Hartley + GG = Peters. I think I am going more with how Hartley utilized the D. Allowing them to do their thing really helps to push the limits in the offensive zone. I give Peters a lot of credit for that.

GG didn’t as much and the offence dried up. The D is better and still pinch. A few gaffs here and there, but using the limits helps them score.

I believe that BP mentioned that he would give Ras some PP time.

About time, I would say.

Hope it's true.

I've been waiting for that one-timer for a long time.  I knew his slapper was deadly (hardest on the Heat IIRC) but also accurate.

Jumping the gun, but how cool would it be to have him on the right side half boards loading up for one-timers?

He's smart, can pass through legs and handles the boards pretty darn fine.

If that doesn;t happen, the other option is using JH there.  I saw him out on that side on the Ras goal and he was looking pretty good there.

On December 12, 2018 at 10:58 PM, robrob74 said:

Interested to know how much credit Huska deserves, he's obviously done a good job with the development of the Heats players and their call up success. Overall we play a cleaner possession game than GG, there seems to be better support within his systems which takes some pressure of the D men. They've been strong on puck pursuit and we've seen how they've been able to stand teams up at the blue line this year. 

BP has more options, better options than GG or Hartley did but you can tell the Flames play a much more balanced game and are better at adapting to others teams style of play. They can finally score and don't need to be leading after the 2nd period to close out games anymore. I'm watching Peters moreso to see if there's another gear yet to be unlocked on this team. Can Peters continue to improve this team or have we already seen the Flames hit their ceiling this season?

1 minute ago, rickross said:

Interested to know how much credit Huska deserves, he's obviously done a good job with the development of the Heats players and their call up success. Overall we play a cleaner possession game than GG, there seems to be better support within his systems which takes some pressure of the D men. They've been strong on puck pursuit and we've seen how they've been able to stand teams up at the blue line this year. 

BP has more options, better options than GG or Hartley did but you can tell the Flames play a much more balanced game and are better at adapting to others teams style of play. They can finally score and don't need to be leading after the 2nd period to close out games anymore. I'm watching Peters moreso to see if there's another gear yet to be unlocked on this. Can Peters continue to improve this team or have we already seen the Flames hit their ceiling this season?

Peters has the players pressuring puck carriers better than GG. Ours break-ins are much better than the last few years too. We gain the zone rather easily. Defensively, we work more effectively as a team. I do notice that other teams are starting to respond to us though, so Peters had better have options to change things up. I think that he gets it. 

5 minutes ago, rickross said:

BP has more options, better options than GG or Hartley did but you can tell the Flames play a much more balanced game and are better at adapting to others teams style of play. They can finally score and don't need to be leading after the 2nd period to close out games anymore. I'm watching Peters moreso to see if there's another gear yet to be unlocked on this. Can Peters continue to improve this team or have we already seen the Flames hit their ceiling this season?

Can they sustain it as the year gets tighter?

probably.

the Smith injury can go either way. Does smith wade Rittich. Can Rittich run with the starters’ net for a bit while smith is out?

i know smith has wins in spite of his play. Numbers alone show he was back but not necessarily true. But smith sounds like a supporting cast in Rittich ‘s play. Maybe have smith on the bench in a suit.

1 minute ago, Cowtownguy said:

Peters has the players pressuring puck carriers better than GG. Ours break-ins are much better than the last few years too. We gain the zone rather easily. Defensively, we work more effectively as a team. I do notice that other teams are starting to respond to us though, so Peters had better have options to change things up. I think that he gets it. 

Exactly, a lot of noticeable improvements this year. The energy and momentum of the games is different, u can tell the players believe in their systems. Last year we were done if we were down 2 goals at pretty much any point in a game. Obviously not the case this year, if only we could get more contributions from the 3rd/4th lines...we'd be a nightmare to play against...especially in those 3rd periods

9 minutes ago, robrob74 said:

Can they sustain it as the year gets tighter?

probably.

the Smith injury can go either way. Does smith wade Rittich. Can Rittich run with the starters’ net for a bit while smith is out?

i know smith has wins in spite of his play. Numbers alone show he was back but not necessarily true. But smith sounds like a supporting cast in Rittich ‘s play. Maybe have smith on the bench in a suit.

I still believe Smittys struggles have been advantageous to start the year. Rittich has regained confidence , takes pressure off of Smith being "the guy" to win us games like he was tasked to do last year. Rather he gets his injuries out of the way early so we can enter the playoffs with 2 starting goalies. I don't mind Smith as a backup at this point

I think the only thing worrisome about the Flames, in terms of sustainability, is the 3rd period comebacks. I don't see any reason that the quality of their game or the type of game they play is going to fall off and there really isn't any data either to support it. Other than giving up too many chances early in the season, they've played at this level for most of the season so you are into a pretty big sample size there. 

But i'm not sure the 3rd period comebacks are sustainable and history shows they are not so I think that is the one thing that worries me a little. Is there another gear to this team? I don't think so, but at the same time does there need to be? 

11 minutes ago, cross16 said:

I think the only thing worrisome about the Flames, in terms of sustainability, is the 3rd period comebacks. I don't see any reason that the quality of their game or the type of game they play is going to fall off and there really isn't any data either to support it. Other than giving up too many chances early in the season, they've played at this level for most of the season so you are into a pretty big sample size there. 

But i'm not sure the 3rd period comebacks are sustainable and history shows they are not so I think that is the one thing that worries me a little. Is there another guy to this team? I don't think so, but at the same time does there need to be? 

I think he still has a lot to sort out as a coach. Solid play from Rittich and our D is saving our bacon most nights. Aside from the top line of Gaudreau, Monahan and Lindholm I have no idea what his thinking is for productive lines.

29 minutes ago, MAC331 said:

I think he still has a lot to sort out as a coach. Solid play from Rittich and our D is saving our bacon most nights. Aside from the top line of Gaudreau, Monahan and Lindholm I have no idea what his thinking is for productive lines.

I agree and aside from the blowout games, or the high scoring ones, I feel like even the 2nd line has troubles getting goals, and I think the team doesn’t get quality enough chances beyond the 1st line in tougher games. They may get them, but easy to defend or save.

i am with Cross as well and feel the team has played better, but getting the 2nd line right should be a priority. Then figure out the bottom 6. Because with you, getting Tkachuk better line mates should be a must.

39 minutes ago, robrob74 said:

I agree and aside from the blowout games, or the high scoring ones, I feel like even the 2nd line has troubles getting goals, and I think the team doesn’t get quality enough chances beyond the 1st line in tougher games. They may get them, but easy to defend or save.

i am with Cross as well and feel the team has played better, but getting the 2nd line right should be a priority. Then figure out the bottom 6. Because with you, getting Tkachuk better line mates should be a must.

I think the obvious fix as to be a line of Tkachuk, Jankowski and Neal. Ryan does nothing for Tkachuk or Neal. He is a reliable forward that can fill responsibly enough to keep a job. Bennett is at his best when he is hitting, checking and defending so let's realize this now and quit trying to have him be something he isn't at this level. Get the playmakers, good possession players and snipers together.

Gaudreau, Monahan, Lindholm (the Purple Juice gang)

Tkachuk, Jankowski, Neal ( all serious threats for scoring)

Bennett, Backlund, Frolik ( our main defensive forward line all capable of secondary scoring)

I think as long as Ryan centers the 4th line BP could use just about any of our depth Wingers depending on what he wants out of them against certain teams. We have to realize this is a coach that is real quick to shorten his bench to get results.

1 hour ago, MAC331 said:

There's tons to sort out on this team, where do Frolik, Stone and Valimaki slot in when they return? What to do with James Neal and the 3rd and 4th lines? For the most part they're good problems to have but we need to find scoring depth asap...JH leaving momentarily during the Flyers game was a wake up call. An injury to that 1st line and the offence dries right up

Archived