Bill Peters - 17th Flames Coach

phoenix66

The Carolina Hurricanes never came to mind when I think of team models to adopt in terms of playing style. Under Peters it's as if the team took a step after his 1st year and then they ultimately hit their ceiling. No better than 6th in their Div and never had more than 87 points. Sure they've had poor goaltending and aren't a cap team but Peters inability to take the Canes to the next level should be concerning. Hartley, GG their messages all wore out rather quickly in the locker room, it's been an issue with this team. BH was too mean, GG was too nice so maybe BP is juuust right for our Goldilocks on ice. My concern is BP's ability to continually raise the level of play without becoming redundant/stagnant. 

I've read from other Canes fans who grew tired of his incessant line juggling, are these the signs of a master tactician or another coach desperately looking for something, anything to stick? All in all I'm glad a coaching change was made, and maybe being close to home is all the difference for Peters. I didn't feel great about the GG signing and there wasn't much reason to at the time and his firing confirmed many of our initial doubts. Again it's not that I think BP is a bad coach I'm still questioning if he's the right coach and I hope he is. If he's not, then this is no more than a waste of time. 

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
59 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

Tkachuk has passion.

JH has passion.

It's a little different than a goalie that gets bent out of shape after a goal.

I don't mind a "hate to lose" attitude, but the drama bothers me.  It lefts the other team know they are getting to them.

You always know when you are going to beat the LA Kings.  When Quick smashes his stick on his posts after letting in a goal.  He may dial it in, but most times he gets bent.

i was referring to Neal ..  very similar to Smith 

Love em on my team , he makes us way better , but truth is truth .

He can be Dirty 

he loves to Dive and embellish

He does whine and complain

but hes veteran enough to know when to do these things , so Im happy to have it on our side 

21 minutes ago, phoenix66 said:

i was referring to Neal ..  very similar to Smith 

Love em on my team , he makes us way better , but truth is truth .

He can be Dirty 

he loves to Dive and embellish

He does whine and complain

but hes veteran enough to know when to do these things , so Im happy to have it on our side 

There is a time and a place for everything LOL

14 hours ago, The_People1 said:

Goaltending is different though.  You want the guy to be calm.  

Unless it's Jamie McLennan slashing Johan Franzen.  That was awesome.

Calm ? Why calm ? tell that to Billy Smith or Patrick Roy. LOL You want them to be GOOD and stop the puck when it is called for in games.

2 hours ago, The_People1 said:

Actually, I just like it when goalies STFU and stop the puck.  In general.

Describes the way Rittich played when he was on his game.

I really just want to see Smith stop the shot around the boards and let the D exit the zone safely.  

My beef with Smith was that he basically just gave the puck back to the team who shot it in.

What's the value in just clearing the puck?

Unless you are killing a penalty, you are just giving up possession for no reason.

13 hours ago, travel_dude said:

Describes the way Rittich played when he was on his game.

I really just want to see Smith stop the shot around the boards and let the D exit the zone safely.  

My beef with Smith was that he basically just gave the puck back to the team who shot it in.

What's the value in just clearing the puck?

Unless you are killing a penalty, you are just giving up possession for no reason.

Maybe he thought his defense was so bad last season that he had to take it upon himself to clear the puck up. Remember he did play most of his career in ARZ. LOL

2 hours ago, MAC331 said:

Maybe he thought his defense was so bad last season that he had to take it upon himself to clear the puck up. Remember he did play most of his career in ARZ. LOL

Maybe, but that's no excuse.

He made as many risky plays with the puck than Brodie, LOL.

• 1 month later...
12 hours ago, conundrumed said:

Can't expect all of the situational practices got covered well with the trip to China. I suspect that there are still kinks to work out in practice.

No doubt. Like using 4 lines properly. Gotta get the kinks out.

1 hour ago, 7wit said:

No doubt. Like using 4 lines properly. Gotta get the kinks out.

When you are chasing, you are not playing the 4th line.

Also, 6 PP opportunities.

Janko played good.

Bennett needs to stop looking for the perfect shot.

Just get it on net.

Tkachuk got benched for his "penalty".

I don;t have a problem with accountability.

So far I would say that Peters has done fairly good job, its really early still. What's killing this team so far is sub par goaltending and losing Hamonic in game 1. Having Hamonic in the lineup allows for everyone else to be slotted properly. Valimaki has been good but still has learning to do. Andersson has looked good and very very bad, I am definitely seeing where the coach is coming from saying that he needs to speed up his decision making. Stone has been ok, but is playing above where he should be playing.

1 hour ago, JTech780 said:

So far I would say that Peters has done fairly good job, its really early still. What's killing this team so far is sub par goaltending and losing Hamonic in game 1. Having Hamonic in the lineup allows for everyone else to be slotted properly. Valimaki has been good but still has learning to do. Andersson has looked good and very very bad, I am definitely seeing where the coach is coming from saying that he needs to speed up his decision making. Stone has been ok, but is playing above where he should be playing.

And I think he is leaning on the goalie coach for his great insight.  For me, I think BP needs to make the decisions himself and just ask JS for opinion.  Sigalet is not really the guy to tell Smith he is not playing.  Maybe he's not, but I feel he is unsure of decision making.

Ras has been up and down, but BP is giving him a chance to work through the mistakes.  Yes, one goal was a poor decision.  Seeing the pressure, the rest of the team also needs to back him up.  I would prefer that Ras and Hanifin work as a unit and Stone with Valimaki.  Regardless of who goes when Hamonic comes back, they need to make the right decisions at the right time.    

Too early but BP hasn't swayed me in any direction yet. Hoping they clean up the poor zone entries...watching Gaudreau get stood up at the blue line only to turn the puck over needs to stop. Nothing to go with BP but the team still lacks grit...they certainly don't play a tough game at the moment. You can see they are trying to play with pace but often times they can look like they're just skating around with little effect. Hopefully time cleans these things up and we can finally watch a consistent team win games

Archived