Bill Peters - 17th Flames Coach

phoenix66

20 minutes ago, 420since1974 said:

He is still listed as an assistant coach, but I've never read what his role actually was during the Gulutzan era.

If my memory serves correct; Gelinas was never on the bench, Pringle did the video upstairs, Sutter was doing the Player Development gig that Gelinas had in Nashville.

So, just exactly what was he "assistant coaching"?

he was the "eye in the sky ".. he was upstairs, hed relay info or views of what he was seeing on the ice during games back to the bench ,,,basically an assistant coach with an overhead view .

I think he belongs back behind the bench myself 

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 hours ago, phoenix66 said:

he was the "eye in the sky ".. he was upstairs, hed relay info or views of what he was seeing on the ice during games back to the bench ,,,basically an assistant coach with an overhead view .

I think he belongs back behind the bench myself 

I would like to see Gelinas on the bench. I have to think he would be a motivating guy to have with the players.

I think it's time for a fresh face and fresh ideas so i'm not keen on Gelinas going back behind the bench. I'm fine with him on staff and in the organization but let's try and get some more creativity and new ideas in the building.  

10 minutes ago, cross16 said:

fI think it's time for a fresh face and fresh ideas so i'm not keen on Gelinas going back behind the bench. I'm fine with him on staff and in the organization but let's try and get some more creativity and new ideas in the building.  

How would you know he doesn't provide that having been off the bench for a few seasons ?

21 minutes ago, MAC331 said:

How would you know he doesn't provide that having been off the bench for a few seasons ?

He has been in the organization for a while and was a member of the coaching staff the last 2 seasons. I guess if you want to believe that he had no input and Gulutzan and co never listened to anything he said then that's ok but I don't think that is very likely. Gelinas was involved in practice and by all accounts meeting etc so he had a chance to get his ideas head. Coaching during the games is overrated. 

I just want a fresh face. doesn't mean I think Gelinas is bad, I just think you want a new look. 

1 minute ago, cross16 said:

He has been in the organization for a while and was a member of the coaching staff the last 2 seasons. I guess if you want to believe that he had no input and Gulutzan and co never listened to anything he said then that's ok but I don't think that is very likely. Gelinas was involved in practice and by all accounts meeting etc so he had a chance to get his ideas head. Coaching during the games is overrated. 

I just want a fresh face. doesn't mean I think Gelinas is bad, I just think you want a new look. 

Agreed. Gelinas doesn't have to be an asst coach to be around the players.

But however this goes, it has to be the last time coaching bares the brunt if things don't go well.

5 minutes ago, conundrumed said:

Agreed. Gelinas doesn't have to be an asst coach to be around the players.

But however this goes, it has to be the last time coaching bares the brunt if things don't go well.

And just to be clear i'm fine keeping Gelinas as an assistant coach, but keep him in the role he was. Let him be an asst coach/player development, be the eye in the sky and let him work individually with players and he can be part of the staff. All i'm saying is I want some fresh ideas on the "primary" (for lack of a better word) coaching staff who has more input on the deisng of systems, special teams etc. Gelinas has been around for a while and it's not like the PP was fantastic under he and Hartley so I just want some more creativity, but keep Gelly on staff. Most teams now employ more than the 3 man coaching staffs we use to see. 

I still remain hopefully that Treliving will be making a few trades to hold players accountable and not hang this all on coaching. 

I do think Ryan Huska deserves to, and should be, part of Peters staff. He's done a real nice job in the AHL by my standards and his history of developing dman is very good, so I think he makes a lot of sense as one of the assistants in charge of the D/PK.

On top of that, a new voice in Stockton isn't a bad idea either. I really like the job Huska has done but some prospects have been there a while, and through development camps etc even the new guys coming known him pretty well. Not a bad idea to change it up down there too, so I like the idea for 2 reasons. 

1 hour ago, cross16 said:

I do think Ryan Huska deserves to, and should be, part of Peters staff. He's done a real nice job in the AHL by my standards and his history of developing dman is very good, so I think he makes a lot of sense as one of the assistants in charge of the D/PK.

On top of that, a new voice in Stockton isn't a bad idea either. I really like the job Huska has done but some prospects have been there a while, and through development camps etc even the new guys coming known him pretty well. Not a bad idea to change it up down there too, so I like the idea for 2 reasons. 

Makes sense to me.  I would say that Huska has been better with the D than the F down there.  Need someone to fix the problems with the older 1st rounders.

BTs coaching choice got his Hash Rate handed to him by Finland today. He has an all star team on his hands but hasn't done much against lesser teams. BT has put the Flames a step back already and the season hasn't even started. How is he a better coach then GG?

9 minutes ago, TheFan99 said:

BTs coaching choice got his Hash Rate handed to him by Finland today. He has an all star team on his hands but hasn't done much against lesser teams. BT has put the Flames a step back already and the season hasn't even started. How is he a better coach then GG?

Canada has the least amount of buy in of any 9f the major hockey nations. Our goaltending tandem is Curtidls McElhinney and Darcy Keumper, pretty hard to win with two below average back up goaltenders. While they have an "allstar" team so does Finland and more of their big stars show up for this tournament, Canada doesn't get the same level of dedication. 

Cross was right, this is a no win situation for Peters.

1 hour ago, TheFan99 said:

Being the coach of Team X means absolutely nothing in this tournament. I highly doubt that Peters completely altered guys like McDavid, Eberle, etc in a week. If he coached the team for years like they did with the juniors back in the day, then I would agree with you. Coaching Team Canada in this tournament is allowing yourself to be a symbol. This is why cross16 generated his post long ago before the tournament began. Most people agreed with him, but it was so self-evident that few responded.

Sorry guys. Just sour on that hire. A. Vignault had way more success at the pro level and worked in major hockey cities. I'm hoping peters can get the boys over that hump. BT said he didn't interview any one else for the job so it irks me that he didn't even talk to Vignault. You have to interview every available coach cause it creates competition.

Watched only a small bit of the tourney so far, but I really like what I see from the d-men.

Aggressive, pinching, generating offense; thumbs up from me.  Pretty bad results so far, but Its not even the quarters yet, lets wait a little longer before we panic.

12 hours ago, TheFan99 said:

Sorry guys. Just sour on that hire. A. Vignault had way more success at the pro level and worked in major hockey cities. I'm hoping peters can get the boys over that hump. BT said he didn't interview any one else for the job so it irks me that he didn't even talk to Vignault. You have to interview every available coach cause it creates competition.

No you don't. The NHL is a small world and there is a lot of visibility around coaches. If Treliving felt Peters was his guy an interview with another coach wasn't going to change that. 

I get why some are discouraged by this hire. Peters is unproven at this level and in someways it comes off as another Gulutzan hire. But I personally like the coach and the hire. Just because Gulutzan didn't work out doesn't mean this type of hire never will. 

I think getting the Assistant coaches right is going to be critical. I think hiring Cameron was a big mistake. Not only did it potentially undermine Gulutzan, but I think Cameron is a terrible coach. 

27 minutes ago, kehatch said:

No you don't. The NHL is a small world and there is a lot of visibility around coaches. If Treliving felt Peters was his guy an interview with another coach wasn't going to change that. 

I get why some are discouraged by this hire. Peters is unproven at this level and in someways it comes off as another Gulutzan hire. But I personally like the coach and the hire. Just because Gulutzan didn't work out doesn't mean this type of hire never will. 

I think getting the Assistant coaches right is going to be critical. I think hiring Cameron was a big mistake. Not only did it potentially undermine Gulutzan, but I think Cameron is a terrible coach. 

I don't know that it undermined Gully.  There have been reports that he was the choice of Gully. 

Personally, I want a coach that can yell at the refs without getting a bench minor.  :) 

The Flames were not as bad a team as the coaching made it seem.  Basically 6 wins out of the playoffs. 

We lost the heart and soul of the team on March 11th.  Monahan's injury derailed the top line scoring.

Smith was overplayed until he was injured.

These aren't excuses, they are things that could have been mitigated by better coaching. 

Play an older goalie less when you have an effective backup.

Inability to recognize why a PP is useless.

Passive PK and letting the other team enter the zone.

Refusing to alter D pairs.

Refusing to use callups according to skillsets.

Maybe we'll see the same tendencies as with Gully.  I'm thinking BP will see the failures that occured that way.    

On 5/13/2018 at 9:18 AM, kehatch said:

I've never understood the "he should at least interview other candidates" angle. he had a working interview with Peters and depth/inside knowledge you'd never see in a normal job interview. Why would anyone want a person in a hiring capacity to favor a short interview over that type of hands on knowledge? 

I think you're bang on, people don't love the hire because nothing jumps out at you but it's really hard to draw something out of a coaches background that guarantees success or failures. Lots of veteran coach hires with great track records flop, while unknowns succeed. It's a mixed bag and probably why, IMO at least, hiring a coach is the hardest job a GM has. 

I am also on the Peter's bandwagon. The more I've read and listened to him the more comfortable I fell. With our current roster we have a playoff team . Peter's just has to NOT screw it up. With our last 2 coaches each made the playoffs their 1st year and then both "screwed it up".

To me this shows we have a playoff team and when the coaching staff gets complacent so do the players. I see Peter's keeping the pedal down.

1 hour ago, redfire11 said:

I am also on the Peter's bandwagon. The more I've read and listened to him the more comfortable I fell. With our current roster we have a playoff team . Peter's just has to NOT screw it up. With our last 2 coaches each made the playoffs their 1st year and then both "screwed it up".

To me this shows we have a playoff team and when the coaching staff gets complacent so do the players. I see Peter's keeping the pedal down.

At least you will be ready for him.

I'm neutral on Bill Peters until I can see what the Calgary Flames accomplish under his tutelage. I'll give him a full years pass too! No point hopping on the Peters bandwagon for me...I think he said a lot of the right things during his presser. He seems sharp, direct and knowledgable about the game...but coaches always seem to have all the answers when being introduced! It's not fair to judge him as the head coach of Canada either, the IIHF isn't the NHL....but I respect his desire to keep gaining experience as a coach. At some point the players should have to assume responsibility for the underperformance of this team. Maybe Peters is the guy that finally takes this team to that next level and maybe he isn't. 

Hard to say for sure that how he is coaching in the WHC will be exactly what he does with the Flames. Different ice and games mean some tweaks, but for those who care so far at the WHC Peters has basically been the antithesis of Gulutzan. 

Team Canada defenders skate and have the green light to take the puck wherever they want. Lots of dman rushes, pinches from the point, dmen below the hash marks even behind the net fore checking.

Team Canada is aggressive in the neutral zone as well as at their own blueline. They've been caught a few times, but they are more aggressive.

When they were tied against Latvia, he shortened the bench and ran 2 lines almost the entire 3rd period. 

Today in OT, Canada got a 4-3 PP. Peters called a timeout. 

Lots of point shots on the PP. They run the 1-3-1 but generate point shots from the high guy as well as the mid guys as well. 

Told the refs to do their "bleeping" job in the first period. Didn't take a penalty.

So if you care about that kind of stuff, that's why i've seen so far. 

I have been thinking about a couple of assistant coaches that we could bring in.

PK/Defense:

Trent Yawney - he has done a good job with Anaheim's young defense and Anaheim has been a top end PK for the last few years.

Ryan Huska - he has done a great job grooming our young defense down in Stockton, both Andersson and Kylington have come a long way under this tutelage.

PP/Forwards:

Mike Vellucci - he took the Checkers from having the worst PP at 13% under Ulf Samuelsson to having the 3rd best PP at 20% in 1 season. He would be familiar with Peters being from the same Carolina organization.

Dallas Eakins - San Diego has had a top ranked PP the last few years under Eakins. He is a smart coach, regardless of what happened in Edmonton.

I think as it stands right now, those are my top 2 choices at each job, mind you I am not as well versed in assistant coaches as I am at other things hockey.

I like the idea of Trent Yawney as well but a lot of signs are pointing to him being in Edmonton. coached with Mclellan in SJ and sounds like they will re unite but we'll see. Good fit for sure though

I think Huska should on the staff and I think the chances are high he will be. I like the idea of Huska as the D/PK coach and then brining in Troy Mann to run Stockton. Mann had a nice run in Hershey before being let go recently but has a good run as an AHL coach. 

For the other spot I really like Vellucci. He'd probably be my #1 pick, but other names I would throw out there:

Marco Sturm - liked him as a player and hes done a great job turning around the German program. Didn't advance but for a country that doesn't develop a lot of talent he keeps them very competitive.

Emanual Viverios -  Gawdin's coach in Swift Current and the recent recipient of the WHL coach of the year. Also has a ton of experience coaching internationally, both for National teams and club teams, and I think could bring a really cool perspective on things with his background. The turnaround since he got to Swift Current is pretty impressive and they are doing it without a lot of big names which speaks to solid coaching. Their PP has also been pretty good under his tenure from what I can see. 

I've heard both Sturm and Viveios linked to the Flames but the reports aren't solid and i've also heard Viveiros linked to the Oilers. The international tie to Peters may help explain why Sturm and Viveiors get linked to the Flames job.

I'm not sure that the Flames will bring in an amateur coach or a coach without NHL experience for those crucial roles.

Possible that BP is able to bring in guys he's worked with.

Great ideas from you guys; I'm just not so sure BT would entertain those ideas.

Archived