Bill Peters - 17th Flames Coach

phoenix66

5 hours ago, phoenix66 said:

problem is Brodie is not Hamilton.. we have likely seen the top end of TJ(even if he returns to it) , Hamilton is just scratching the surface

We have Brodies in the system already -- Andersson, Kyllington, Valimaki, Fox.. odds are at least one of them will be that smooth skating , offensive dman in the 2nd pair 

we have no Hamiltons

Like my early example.. yes , you could trade Johnny , then move Tkachuk, or another talented scorer into the top line.. but you'd miss Johnny-- big time

Edmonton traded Hall , cuz they had McDavid..  the concept of moving him for a top pair dman made total sense.. just the player they settled on for that transaction was a tire fire 

I'm not sure what you see in Hamilton that is unique that we don't possibly also have in the system (in a year or two).  He's probably one of the slowest of the bunch, not dynamic carrying the puck, versus Brodie and Fox, does score more goals but not necessarily more points, is not burning with competitiveness from what we can see and he is by far the biggest but doesn't really use his size to advantage.  I like him, a lot but I don't believe he's indispensable.  

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 hours ago, phoenix66 said:

"problem is Brodie is not Hamilton.. we have likely seen the top end of TJ(even if he returns to it) , Hamilton is just scratching the surface

We have Brodies in the system already -- Andersson, Kyllington, Valimaki, Fox.. odds are at least one of them will be that smooth skating , offensive dman in the 2nd pair 

we have no Hamiltons". 

I can envision Kylington and Fox as being similar in style to Brodie (especially in skating). They are both probably at least two seasons away from the NHL.

I see Andersson and Valimaki in different lighting.

So far, Andersson looks to be more like a Hamilton or Wideman type, though with slightly better defensive awareness. I hope that we get to see him on the roster full time next season, and I'd like to see him get some 2nd unit PP time.

I think that Valimaki is closer in style to Giordano, a balanced mix of offence and defence. Again though, he is probably two years away from a full time NHL gig.

15 minutes ago, 420since1974 said:

I can envision Kylington and Fox as being similar in style to Brodie (especially in skating). They are both probably at least two seasons away from the NHL.

So far, Andersson looks to be more like a Hamilton or Wideman type, though with slightly better defensive awareness. I hope that we get to see him on the roster full time next season, and I'd like to see him get some 2nd unit PP time.

I think that Valimaki is closer in style to Giordano, a balanced mix of offence and defence. Again though, he is probably two years away from a full time NHL gig.

I have a feeling that Valimaki is the real deal. He oozes energy and determination. At training camp, he cracked me up with his grunting and yelling. My viewing of his play amounts to a small sample size, but he doesn't seem to have many weaknesses, and the dude is still developing.

On 4/27/2018 at 8:48 AM, travel_dude said:

Hamilton is what, 25?

Consider that he could have another 10 years in the NHL, possibly Norris level.

Also consider that he has not be tasked to improve his defensive game.  He has Gio.

Also consider that he makes $5.75m for the next 3 years.  Trading him now for a forward(s) would result in a hole.

Getting an equivalent replacement would fetch $7m+ in FA or Gaudreau in a trade.  And that assumes one is available.  Ask EDM about that.  :)

Saying that, if Valimaki, Fox, Kylington and Andersson are able to become top 4 guys in the next 3 years, then we can trade most of the D-core.

With an additional thought that Seattle may become an entry draft team, you also have to build your prospects around that and have extra depth at D.

22 hours ago, 420since1974 said:

If the decision is to keep Brodie I would look at maybe trading Kylington to BUF for Alex Nylander if they want to deal him.

27 minutes ago, MAC331 said:

If the decision is to keep Brodie I would look at maybe trading Kylington to BUF for Alex Nylander if they want to deal him.

I don't think there is that decision at all.

I don't think the Flames will get rid of Brodie at this time unless there is some offer they can't refuse on the table.

On 19/04/2018 at 5:57 PM, zima said:

I still wouldn't be surprised to see BT and or BB given there walking papers before draft day. BT hasn't been a success with us so far. Blaming the coaches is a smoke screen for him he knew what this team needed from the start like goalies which he did try I guess but failed till now but Smith can't stop every thing. The trades on D was as far as I'm concerned should have made us better but losing a first perhaps even a top 6 really hurts but I'm sure he never expected it to go so far down hill but not protecting for the lottery was a huge mistake . GG might have been the coach but i bet BT made a few decisions that GG was not happy with when it came to player movements. Im leaning towards a c to c-  this yr on his work as a whole. Just saying.

Funny I'm never right about anything and I know BB wasn't fired but he is leaving and I think it was a long ime coming I don't think he has been much help in the last few yrs. Of course I have no idea what he has accomplished swispering in BTs ear but there is a few dollars saved in the grand scheme of things

2 hours ago, MAC331 said:

I would not trade Oliver Kylington (LD) for Alexander Nylander (LW/RW) straight up, as IMO their value is not near equal.

I think that Kylington has a better chance at a NHL career than Nylander, though size may hold both of them back.

They are both 20 years old prospects, their heights and weights are near identical; but Kylington has an extra year of pro experience than Nylander.

Comparing their AHL stats:

Nylander scored at 0.43 PPG and 0.53 PPG rates.

Kylington's stats are 0.25 PPG, 0.45 PPG, and 0.57 PPG.

Keep in mind that Kylington is a defence-man, and has shown clear progression each year.

Nylander had one good season in the OHL, and showed well at the WJC-18, WJC-20, & International-Jr.tournaments; but improved little from his first AHL season to his second one.

I've lost all confidence in BT. The last year of Bob Hartley we had a top 3 offence but our goaltending was tremendously weak. Instead of getting the team a goaltender he sat on his hands because he wanted to fire Hartley. He wouldn't of been able to fire Hartley if we would of made the playoffs. So in essence he sacrificed the season to get his way. Then hires another C level coach in Peters. He's a terrible GM. 

41 minutes ago, TheFan99 said:

I've lost all confidence in BT. The last year of Bob Hartley we had a top 3 offence but our goaltending was tremendously weak. Instead of getting the team a goaltender he sat on his hands because he wanted to fire Hartley. He wouldn't of been able to fire Hartley if we would of made the playoffs. So in essence he sacrificed the season to get his way. Then hires another C level coach in Peters. He's a terrible GM. 

The last year of Bob Hartley:

We had the 11th best offence not 3rd best.

Also we let in more goals than any other team.

Team D was practically nonexistent along with the Goaltending you say was weak.

I liked Bob Hartley much more than GG. He was never given the team to work with and I don't think he was ever going to stay as the coach for BT. He changed his Coach of the year style("always earned") because to keep his job he had to win. Coaches turn to their vets to help them get wins when their job is in jeopardy. It did not work. He did not have the right vets to succeed.

1 hour ago, 420since1974 said:

I would not trade Oliver Kylington (LD) for Alexander Nylander (LW/RW) straight up, as IMO their value is not near equal.

I think that Kylington has a better chance at a NHL career than Nylander, though size may hold both of them back.

They are both 20 years old prospects, their heights and weights are near identical; but Kylington has an extra year of pro experience than Nylander.

Comparing their AHL stats:

Nylander scored at 0.43 PPG and 0.53 PPG rates.

Kylington's stats are 0.25 PPG, 0.45 PPG, and 0.57 PPG.

Keep in mind that Kylington is a defence-man, and has shown clear progression each year.

Nylander had one good season in the OHL, and showed well at the WJC-18, WJC-20, & International-Jr.tournaments; but improved little from his first AHL season to his second one.

I don't think it does validation to look at the stats you have presented. Both will turn out to be worthy players, I would do the deal because we need IMO to up the quality of our RW and the players competing to play there. I point out players such as Mangiapane and Kylington because the holes for them on this team may not ever open up for them.

1 hour ago, The_Snowbear said:

Caroline Buffalo Montreal all three have a chance at the first overall pick in the draft it will be announced first intermission

2nd intermission actually. 

Does BP regret leaving Carolina if they get Dahlin?

7 minutes ago, The_Snowbear said:

I want Montreal to get 1st overall

If Montreal is our best trading partner for TJ Brodie, I think you want them to pick second or third. In that case, they'll have a need for a left defenseman, and will likely take a right winger at two or three, in which case, some of their forwards may be more available - Galchenyuk, or Gallagher. 

Love. 

43 minutes ago, Heartbreaker said:

If Montreal is our best trading partner for TJ Brodie, I think you want them to pick second or third. In that case, they'll have a need for a left defenseman, and will likely take a right winger at two or three, in which case, some of their forwards may be more available - Galchenyuk, or Gallagher. 

Love. 

unless we can trade Brodie to Montreal for their 1-3 pick  before they  announce the order.. 

13 hours ago, DirtyDeeds said:

unless we can trade Brodie to Montreal for their 1-3 pick  before they  announce the order.. 

I think Bergevin would get slaughtered if he traded away that pick. I would rather do a Brodie for Gallagher and a 2nd from MON.

6 hours ago, MAC331 said:

I think Bergevin would get slaughtered if he traded away that pick. I would rather do a Brodie for Gallagher and a 2nd from MON.

He survived the PK trade.  As much as the fans cried about it and the analysts frowned on it, he still kept his job.

He's already floating the idea of trading the pick.

They are a win now team.

Trade for Drouin, while giving up a great D prospect and a 2nd.

About Peters.  IF we managed to swing a deal for Montreal's pick,getting Zadina would be awesome.  Those Moosehead players seem to turn into gold.

Peters would be a great coach for a player like that.  

We are pipe dreaming. There’s no way we are trading into the top of the draft and I have little faith we can even get into the 1st round. At this point, those high picks rarely get moved. 

The player picked there probably has a likelihood of playing in the nhl in their draft year. 

We've made our bed and now have to sleep in it. 

At this point, does Bennett even get us a 1st rounder in return?

42 minutes ago, robrob74 said:

We are pipe dreaming. There’s no way we are trading into the top of the draft and I have little faith we can even get into the 1st round. At this point, those high picks rarely get moved. 

The player picked there probably has a likelihood of playing in the nhl in their draft year. 

We've made our bed and now have to sleep in it. 

At this point, does Bennett even get us a 1st rounder in return?

The phrase is we wet the bed and now we have to sleep in it..

I would say BT wet the bed and now we all have to suffer for his decisions.

12 minutes ago, DirtyDeeds said:

The phrase is we wet the bed and now we have to sleep in it..

I would say BT wet the bed and now we all have to suffer for his decisions.

if we're being  picky.. the actual common phrase is "you made your bed now lie in it"..

and again , I never understand these types of accusations.. Every GM has an area that is a concern.  Edmonton cant get a decent defenseman, Sutter could never find a #1 center .. we have issues at RW.

If he wasn't trying I'd be concerned

If he was trading away a 1st and a 2nd and get one that basically goes straight to the A..I'd be concerned 

He's tried to do it in FA.. got Frolik and Versteeg, not bad.. ok he whiffed on Brouwer ..oh well

Bottom line is this team is light years ahead of 4 years ago.

He took over every position sucked..and our farm sucked 

He acknowledged we still need more pieces ..

he also acknowledged that what we do have was badly managed , hence he fired the coaching staff 

But to say we are "suffering with his decisions" is inaccurate 

36 minutes ago, phoenix66 said:

if we're being  picky.. the actual common phrase is "you made your bed now lie in it"..

and again , I never understand these types of accusations.. Every GM has an area that is a concern.  Edmonton cant get a decent defenseman, Sutter could never find a #1 center .. we have issues at RW.

If he wasn't trying I'd be concerned

If he was trading away a 1st and a 2nd and get one that basically goes straight to the A..I'd be concerned 

He's tried to do it in FA.. got Frolik and Versteeg, not bad.. ok he whiffed on Brouwer ..oh well

Bottom line is this team is light years ahead of 4 years ago.

He took over every position sucked..and our farm sucked 

He acknowledged we still need more pieces ..

he also acknowledged that what we do have was badly managed , hence he fired the coaching staff 

But to say we are "suffering with his decisions" is inaccurate 

Maybe you aren't suffering but I am. The Flames aren't playing in the playoffs...  

3 hours ago, travel_dude said:

He survived the PK trade.  As much as the fans cried about it and the analysts frowned on it, he still kept his job.

He's already floating the idea of trading the pick.

They are a win now team.

Trade for Drouin, while giving up a great D prospect and a 2nd.

About Peters.  IF we managed to swing a deal for Montreal's pick,getting Zadina would be awesome.  Those Moosehead players seem to turn into gold.

Peters would be a great coach for a player like that.  

They don't have a win now team but that is the MON mentality LOL

Let's just say ownership is as stupid as Bergevin being the only reason he is still there.

Archived