Trade Deadline 2018

Heartbreaker

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, travel_dude said:

If Letestu can garner a player like Aberg, shouldn;t Stajan get something similar?

A puzzling trade. Poile gives up a good prospect & gets a crummy 4th rounder. :huh:

Nashville should have stayed out of it & let the BJs trade direct. The Oilers would pick a scrub with the 4th as they can only draft right with gimmes in the 1st.

Even if Nashville has a big deal in the works Aberg would be worth more in a package than a 4th rounder.

1 hour ago, Flyerfan52 said:

A puzzling trade. Poile gives up a good prospect & gets a crummy 4th rounder. :huh:

Nashville should have stayed out of it & let the BJs trade direct. The Oilers would pick a scrub with the 4th as they can only draft right with gimmes in the 1st.

Even if Nashville has a big deal in the works Aberg would be worth more in a package than a 4th rounder.

I respectfully disagree. Nashville needs a bit of roster space and it's become obvious that they do not value Aberg as much as many outsiders seem to.

Aberg is a B level prospect and the poor bugger is moving to Edmonton. He was drafted 5 years ago. In 52 NHL games he has a whopping 10 points.

Edmonton is celebrating as usual, no reason. He's fast and has a good shot. That's been good for 3 goals in 52 games. So his strong suit isn't exactly getting him NHL work.

His 5 points in 16 playoff games last year heightened some awareness, but that washed out this year. He's pretty one dimensional.

So yes. Stajan should fetch a B level prospect. Better off taking a pick.

I highly doubt we'll move Stajan, regardless.

5 minutes ago, conundrumed said:

I respectfully disagree. Nashville needs a bit of roster space and it's become obvious that they do not value Aberg as much as many outsiders seem to.

Aberg is a B level prospect and the poor bugger is moving to Edmonton. He was drafted 5 years ago. In 52 NHL games he has a whopping 10 points.

Edmonton is celebrating as usual, no reason. He's fast and has a good shot. That's been good for 3 goals in 52 games. So his strong suit isn't exactly getting him NHL work.

His 5 points in 16 playoff games last year heightened some awareness, but that washed out this year. He's pretty one dimensional.

So yes. Stajan should fetch a B level prospect. Better off taking a pick.

I highly doubt we'll move Stajan, regardless.

You just needed to say it is a Chiarelli deal. You didn't need to say all that other stuff. :D

I don't know why Vancouver has not picked up Karlsson. I mean, they sucked so badly that they must have a lot of cap space available. You would think that they also have a lot of mediocre players that would keep costs down for the cheapskate in Ottawa (the city that fun forgot). Seems like a no brainer to me.

ETA: Interesting that TSN has Gillies as #30 on their trade bait list.

2 hours ago, Flyerfan52 said:

TB paid Namestnikoc, 2018 1st, a conditional 2n, Morrow & Hajek for McDonagh & JT Miller.

McDonagh was viewed as the consolation prize if you couldn't get Karlsson.

That feels like an under whelming trade for the Rangers considering that Miller - Namestnikov is a bit of a wash. Actually favors Miller IMO. 

While we tend to think about which team won or lost any given trade, I think that sometimes both teams lose out. For example, I am not sure about that Toronto-Montreal trade. Toronto may have given up a 2nd round for nothing long-term while Montreal may have given up a dedicated leader to get that pick. I believe that Plekanec is an UFA at the end of the year. He might end up anywhere. So, I am happy and not particularly surprised by Treliving's moves.

3 hours ago, Flyerfan52 said:

McDonagh was viewed as the consolation prize if you couldn't get Karlsson.

This is the interesting part for me. This would pretty much take Tampa out of the Karlsson running and they were considered one of the favorite. Makes for an interesting summer if/when Otttawa puts him back on the block. 

3 minutes ago, cross16 said:

This is the interesting part for me. This would pretty much take Tampa out of the Karlsson running and they were considered one of the favorite. Makes for an interesting summer if/when Otttawa puts him back on the block. 

Ottawa over played their hand on Karlsson IMO.

They'll still get a truskload in return but they just removed the #1 suitor from the running unless Stevie get extra creative.

Also, rather than getting this year's run to the playoffs & 2 chances @ going on a Cup run the teams offering are now going to be bidding of 1 year of a textbook rental. They also run the risk of him missing significant time again & earning the dreaded "oft injured" label.

They didn't adjust to market conditions so unless Karlsson has a stellar year the best offer today will probably exceed the best 1 recieved over the summer as that extra potential playoff run added to his value.

*************************************************************************************************

Ottawa seems as directionless as Vancouver.

Melnyk should just sell & go back to doing something he knows or accept a graceful retitement. A sports team as a hobby doesn't work anymore & is costly unless you can hold a few levels of government hostage. That won't fly in the city where the Canadian government is located & they see every day that the citizens don't care but see votes in QC if their action/inaction in helping the Sens gets a return of a team to call the Nordique more likely. 

If word got out QC would probably be able to cobble together owners to do a buy & move like Wpg. rather than pay the reported $650 million expansion fee Seattle is facing.

21 minutes ago, Flyerfan52 said:

Ottawa over played their hand on Karlsson IMO.

They'll still get a truskload in return but they just removed the #1 suitor from the running unless Stevie get extra creative.

Also, rather than getting this year's run to the playoffs & 2 chances @ going on a Cup run the teams offering are now going to be bidding of 1 year of a textbook rental. They also run the risk of him missing significant time again & earning the dreaded "oft injured" label.

They didn't adjust to market conditions so unless Karlsson has a stellar year the best offer today will probably exceed the best 1 recieved over the summer as that extra potential playoff run added to his value.

*************************************************************************************************

Ottawa seems as directionless as Vancouver.

Melnyk should just sell & go back to doing something he knows or accept a graceful retitement. A sports team as a hobby doesn't work anymore & is costly unless you can hold a few levels of government hostage. That won't fly in the city where the Canadian government is located & they see every day that the citizens don't care but see votes in QC if their action/inaction in helping the Sens gets a return of a team to call the Nordique more likely. 

If word got out QC would probably be able to cobble together owners to do a buy & move like Wpg. rather than pay the reported $650 million expansion fee Seattle is facing.

Karlsson took the Sens to one goal short of the Cup Finals last year.  If all goes wrong for the Sens next season, Karlsson will do it again.

And then Karlsson walks from OTT and they get nothing for hanging onto him but one playoff run.

1 hour ago, Flyerfan52 said:

My favorite Flames move today was BT not trading for E Kane.

:)B)

We are in agreement in that assessment. Playing contrarian though, Kane would have been a good fit on the top line for several reasons. He has the numbers to work well with the others and make the line that much better. Why do you think he chose not to pick him up? I would not have been entirely shocked if Treliving pulled that trigger. 

2 minutes ago, Cowtownguy said:

We are in agreement in that assessment. Playing contrarian though, Kane would have been a good fit on the top line for several reasons. He has the numbers to work well with the others and make the line that much better. Why do you think he chose not to pick him up? I would not have been entirely shocked if Treliving pulled that trigger. 

I don’t think we had what could’ve made the deal happen. 

Archived