2nd Rd WCSF Oilers vs Ducks

conundrumed

2 hours ago, rickross said:

That was the definition of epic collapse. 3 mins of epic failure could cost the Oilers the series...even though that 3rd goal was clearly interference, it's as if the refs decided to reward the Ducks for their comeback effort. It's not too much unlike the dissallowed Bennett goal..except Kesler took it to a whole new level. As entertaining as watching them meltdown was..I still think the Oil can turn the series in their favour, at the least take it to game 7. This type of a game could make a player like McDavid elevate to a next level and just carry his team out of sheer will. The Ducks will be in tough, all the pressure is on the Oil winning 2 straight which is achievable the way the Oilers have played the Ducks so far this series. With Kesler being the public enemy , you have to wonder if Lucic, Kassian will be taking boneheaded penalties and ultimately hand the series to the Ducks out of frustration and lack of discipline. 

To echo AB12, that was iffy at best.  Regular season, it's a toss up call.  I would hate the call if it was my team, but Nurse only had to push Kesler in a different direction to prevent him from becoming part of the play.  Instead, he drives him into his own goalie.  And if you watch closely, Talbot was able to move his pads for the final shot.  Got unlucky that it deflected a bit.  Talbot didn't even mention it to the ref, if it was so blatant.  It wasn't so the War Room made a "reasonable" call.

I don't see that the Oilers have ever dominated the Ducks so far, so I don't think you see any next level coming from them.  In the previous series, McD laid a bit hit against a smaller Shark player (interference BTW) and it created a momentum shift  That's not going to work here.  The Oilers should stick to trying to skate and ignore the big hits. They are not a tougher team, so leave the Orange Crush BS to the people trying to jam it down the fan's throats.   

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As much as I dislike both teams and wish there was a way they both could be eliminated at the end of this series. I also want to see a fair job done by the refs...   One that is consistent according to the rules as they are written and equally called for both teams in any given game on a consistent basis...

When I first saw the goal and the replays of Kesler getting pushed into the crease by Nurse, I thought they got the call right...   But the overhead view changed my mind...   Kesler has an obligation to try and get out of the crease, but watching his leg movements, he is crawling in towards Talbot as best he can, and not trying to distance himself at all...   Kesler also repeatedly reaches in to grab at the top of Talbot's right pad and interferes with his movement...   Kesler is one of the slickest weasels in the game, and he and the Ducks got away with goaltender interference on this one...   I find it hard to fathom that I would defend the Oilers for a call that went against them, but in the interest of having the league take action to ensure the calls made are correct, I don't have any other choice...

15 minutes ago, Carty said:

Kesler has an obligation to try and get out of the crease, but watching his leg movements, he is crawling in towards Talbot as best he can, and not trying to distance himself at all...   Kesler also repeatedly reaches in to grab at the top of Talbot's right pad and interferes with his movement...   Kesler is one of the slickest weasels in the game, and he and the Ducks got away with goaltender interference on this one...   I find it hard to fathom that I would defend the Oilers for a call that went against them, but in the interest of having the league take action to ensure the calls made are correct, I don't have any other choice...

That is the way I see it too. I don't like to defend the greasers, but Kesler is such a weasel. I think his best talent is how to manipulate the officiating by engaging in crap like this. Regardless, Edmonton completely melted down and did not deserve the win. All teams deserve proper officiating. When I watch most of the other series, things seem decent. The Ducks are the manipulative team. 

1 hour ago, Carty said:

When I first saw the goal and the replays of Kesler getting pushed into the crease by Nurse, I thought they got the call right...   But the overhead view changed my mind...   Kesler has an obligation to try and get out of the crease, but watching his leg movements, he is crawling in towards Talbot as best he can, and not trying to distance himself at all...   Kesler also repeatedly reaches in to grab at the top of Talbot's right pad and interferes with his movement...   Kesler is one of the slickest weasels in the game, and he and the Ducks got away with goaltender interference on this one...   I find it hard to fathom that I would defend the Oilers for a call that went against them, but in the interest of having the league take action to ensure the calls made are correct, I don't have any other choice...

I don't know how much Kesler's hand interferes with Talbot's ability to make the save.  I also feel that Nurse had as much to do with Kesler being kept in the crease.  He is repeatedly being pushed inward.  You look at Talbot's left pad and that moved was in position to make the save, but it came down too slowly to stop the puck.  If the puck went towards his right pad, the result may have been different.

The bigger problem is that this call is made when others aren't.  Bennett/Chaisson's one.  The high stick that counted.  The minor bump by Perry on Talbot in the previous game.  The Bouma bump that was called.  That's just two series out West.  I think they need to remove the "conclusive" part of the review and have every call that is challenged go to the War Room.  Take the guy who made or didn't make the call out of the decision.  And FFS clear up the off-side rule.  Skate in the air?  Skate on the ice?  How are they any different?

1 hour ago, travel_dude said:

I don't know how much Kesler's hand interferes with Talbot's ability to make the save.  I also feel that Nurse had as much to do with Kesler being kept in the crease.  He is repeatedly being pushed inward.  You look at Talbot's left pad and that moved was in position to make the save, but it came down too slowly to stop the puck.  If the puck went towards his right pad, the result may have been different.

After the puck went in, I'm sure Nurse's continued actions didn't help as he bear-hugged Kesler and ripped him backwards. Maybe it wouldn't have mattered, but it was a continuation through the goal that I imagine definitely didn't help.

The OT goal, though, how do you give Perry with the puck the slot and time, untouched? Beauty Getzlaf pass, but still.

Getzlaf looks like Olympics Getzlaf to me, one of the best in the world, no matter who is on the ice. His interest level can be suspect, but what we've been seeing is why they call him "el capitan".

And the hits, poor Sekera, I got a separated shoulder just watching it!

18 minutes ago, conundrumed said:

Not sure where to put this, but has Rinne decided he's running out of time for a ring?

Always loved him.

I'm hoping the Ducks/Oilers goes full 7 with the loser so beat up they become fodder  for Rinne & the Nashville Cats.

I've always liked Rinne too & would like to see him get a ring.

1 hour ago, conundrumed said:

And the hits, poor Sekera, I got a separated shoulder just watching it!

Sekera is out for the at least the rest of the series...   and it looks like the end of this series could very well be the end of the season for the Oilers...

I want the Ducks to take Oilers. Cannot stand the thought of them in the Conf final and I think they could take Nashville wheres as I think the Preds could take ducks.

I was hoping the Blues would go on but I'll be cheering for Preds in the next round.  Josi is an awesome D man.

Got to give credit to Getzlaf he has been a beast in the playoffs.  But my dislike for Kesler and Perry goes up every game.

5 hours ago, conundrumed said:

Two in a row to close out their season would have been a charmer.:lol:

Tough for EDM to get another win in Disneyland.  The Ducks history suggest that they don't have a chance, but the Oilers are setting themselves up for a emotional heartbreaker.  It's a series that will decide the loser for the WCF.  Go Preds.

1 hour ago, travel_dude said:

The Ducks history suggest that they don't have a chance

They got eliminated every time the series went to a game 7 the last 4 seasons in a row...   4 for 4...  

They also lost the last 2 games in a row all to end all of their last 4 seasons...    It's their duck curse...

3 hours ago, Carty said:

They got eliminated every time the series went to a game 7 the last 4 seasons in a row...   4 for 4...  

They also lost the last 2 games in a row all to end all of their last 4 seasons...    It's their duck curse...

Check coaching though, it's a different story.

Carlyle is like a humble, whiney Santa Claus now, hahaha.

Boudreau's playoff record is in the toilet everywhere.

Please Carlyle, let me laugh at the Leafs.

You are a good coach.

On May 7, 2017 at 10:21 AM, travel_dude said:

To echo AB12, that was iffy at best.  Regular season, it's a toss up call.  I would hate the call if it was my team, but Nurse only had to push Kesler in a different direction to prevent him from becoming part of the play.  Instead, he drives him into his own goalie.  And if you watch closely, Talbot was able to move his pads for the final shot.  Got unlucky that it deflected a bit.  Talbot didn't even mention it to the ref, if it was so blatant.  It wasn't so the War Room made a "reasonable" call.

I don't see that the Oilers have ever dominated the Ducks so far, so I don't think you see any next level coming from them.  In the previous series, McD laid a bit hit against a smaller Shark player (interference BTW) and it created a momentum shift  That's not going to work here.  The Oilers should stick to trying to skate and ignore the big hits. They are not a tougher team, so leave the Orange Crush BS to the people trying to jam it down the fan's throats.   

Game 6 was their dominating game over the Ducks. It just pains me to even say this but I think the Oilers win this series. Someone mentioned it earlier but I think they can beat the Preds too. Oilers are peaking at the right time and haven't really seemed to plateau yet...I hate them but gotta respect their playoff push. Oh gawd...there is so much puke in my mouth right now! Here's hoping I'm wrong and the Ducks close it out only to get swept by the Preds. 

I think Kesler elevated his reputation as an elite dirtbag...close to legendary status after the interference play. The Ducks appear to be running out of steam, they've proven to be quite the playoff choke artists, maybe they break their game 7 curse but I'm not surprised if the Oilers beat them quite handidly. It's funny to think they might finally be able to sign some quality Free Agents again after their new found playoff push and arena. It'll be an interesting BOA next year

7 minutes ago, rickross said:

Game 6 was their dominating game over the Ducks. It just pains me to even say this but I think the Oilers win this series. Someone mentioned it earlier but I think they can beat the Preds too. Oilers are peaking at the right time and haven't really seemed to plateau yet...I hate them but gotta respect their playoff push. Oh gawd...there is so much puke in my mouth right now! Here's hoping I'm wrong and the Ducks close it out only to get swept by the Preds. 

Oh, you're wrong.

And then the Ducks take the Preds in 6 at the max.

Sens. They are magician's, they have magic on their side. Playing for each other.

They need to learn how to close it. If they close the Rags with some authority, lookout.

Here is to hoping!:)

3 minutes ago, rickross said:

I think Kesler elevated his reputation as an elite dirtbag...close to legendary status after the interference play. The Ducks appear to be running out of steam, they've proven to be quite the playoff choke artists, maybe they break their game 7 curse but I'm not surprised if the Oilers beat them quite handidly. It's funny to think they might finally be able to sign some quality Free Agents again after their new found playoff push and arena. It'll be an interesting BOA next year

Between the Oil v Ducks, who are you cheering for?

2 hours ago, rickross said:

Whoop de ding dong.  The Sharks decimated the Oil in a game in round one.  What does that prove in one game?

The plateau for the Olers happened on game 2.  They managed a blowout in one game the entire series to force a game 7.  I seem to recall beating the Ducks something like 8-3, which did exactly nothing for us later.

You sound like you are trying to convince people that the Oilers are a great team.  They are lucky that the Ducks crapped the bed in 3 games.  

14 hours ago, rickross said:

They got 1 last year (Lucic). But their success this season & playoffs undoes them as far as adding quality UFAs since they'll be hard pressed to keep the present 1s becoming RFA in the next 2-3 years. Chia will have to work some magic there.

2 hours ago, Flyerfan52 said:

They got 1 last year (Lucic). But their success this season & playoffs undoes them as far as adding quality UFAs since they'll be hard pressed to keep the present 1s becoming RFA in the next 2-3 years. Chia will have to work some magic there.

He will have to work more than magic. There are going to be a lot of players asking "Where's my money man!?", and the price tags increase every game they win. How much will Draisaitl, McDavid, Sleepychevy, Nurse, and even Talbot going to demand given Eberle and RNH earn $6 million and do less than construction flag workers? 

ETA: Why do they pay 'fbomb over $4 million?

2 hours ago, Cowtownguy said:

He will have to work more than magic. There are going to be a lot of players asking "Where's my money man!?", and the price tags increase every game they win. How much will Draisaitl, McDavid, Sleepychevy, Nurse, and even Talbot going to demand given Eberle and RNH earn $6 million and do less than construction flag workers? 

ETA: Why do they pay 'fbomb over $4 million?

Klefbom is akin to Brodie.  He is probably their best all round Dman.  I don't have any problem with his deal.

Replacing Russell will be tougher.

Signing Kassian and Draisaitl will just about kill them this year alone.

McDavid and Maroon next year.

Archived