So Where do we go from here? Analysis & Predictions

cccsberg

37 minutes ago, Flyerfan52 said:

I liked him as a Jets but he's less top line material than Frolik. He'd be good on the 2nd or 3rd but those we have enough of.

Looking @ remaining UFAs I think we'd have to trade if we want to upgrade RW. I notice the Wild still haven't inked Niederreiter , Foligno & Granlund. They have just short of  $16 left in cap, need 1 more D (even after Murphy) & an upgrade @ backup. They want to keep all 3 RFAs (especially Nino) so I wonder if there's a chance of getting Coyle (my choice) or Zucker from them.

I keep seeing JVR brought up as an option. TML will ask high, he's 4.25 x 1 then UFA & IMO a product of the GTA media hype.

A trade I wish we'd been in on was Marcus Johansson. That boy can skate! Debbies got him for a 2nd & 3rd in 2018. But we're low of picks & that's what the Caps needed so they'd gain cap space.

I'm thinking of James Neal. I wonder if a deal could be reached with Vegas that sends Stajan (cap & leadership purposes) & a couple of waiver exempt prospects (we can't spare picks) in return.

I hear that.  Missed out on that one, and he stays in the East.

Neal or Nino.  Nino is way cheaper, and LV can sell Neal to the fans.  Vegas may be more likely to deal since they are just building.

How about Brouwer+ for Nino.  They get cost certainty for 3 years.  Maybe they could use Rittich in their system.  Or a older prospect D-man or Bart.

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Flyerfan52 said:

I liked him as a Jets but he's less top line material than Frolik. He'd be good on the 2nd or 3rd but those we have enough of.

Looking @ remaining UFAs I think we'd have to trade if we want to upgrade RW. I notice the Wild still haven't inked Niederreiter , Foligno & Granlund. They have just short of  $16 left in cap, need 1 more D (even after Murphy) & an upgrade @ backup. They want to keep all 3 RFAs (especially Nino) so I wonder if there's a chance of getting Coyle (my choice) or Zucker from them.

I keep seeing JVR brought up as an option. TML will ask high, he's 4.25 x 1 then UFA & IMO a product of the GTA media hype.

A trade I wish we'd been in on was Marcus Johansson. That boy can skate! Debbies got him for a 2nd & 3rd in 2018. But we're low of picks & that's what the Caps needed so they'd gain cap space.

I'm thinking of James Neal. I wonder if a deal could be reached with Vegas that sends Stajan (cap & leadership purposes) & a couple of waiver exempt prospects (we can't spare picks) in return.

Personally I don't buy the JVR chatter, he genuinely appeared to be loving it there last season and doesn't have a cumbersome contract. We don't have anything to actually put up in a trade so this route is mute IMO. I think BT is done.

44 minutes ago, phoenix66 said:

interesting .. Sure doesnt sound like Gazdic is  pre-ticketed for Stockton...gonna get every opportunity to stick

Either way it works.  They have nobody in Stockton now to protect the young guys.

As a 4th line role player, he is less likely to play than Bouma and will provide toughness when he does.

I don;t think he can do much more than fight Lucic and a few others.

13th forward for a few games and gets 8 minutes max.  Sits in the press box for the rest or goes to Stockton.

We will see how much a nuclear deterrent is required this season.  

52 minutes ago, MAC331 said:

Personally I don't buy the JVR chatter, he genuinely appeared to be loving it there last season and doesn't have a cumbersome contract. We don't have anything to actually put up in a trade so this route is mute IMO. I think BT is done.

its a case of need,, Toronto currently sits $1.6 M over the cap. even with players going IR they have to be compliant on day 1 of the season, so its likely they have to move either JVR or Bozak 

12 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

Either way it works.  They have nobody in Stockton now to protect the young guys.

As a 4th line role player, he is less likely to play than Bouma and will provide toughness when he does.

I don;t think he can do much more than fight Lucic and a few others.

13th forward for a few games and gets 8 minutes max.  Sits in the press box for the rest or goes to Stockton.

We will see how much a nuclear deterrent is required this season.  

true.. personally if you're going to go off past association , I'd give a PTO to Brandon Prust . Apparently the injury is all healed, and almost got signed by TO last year .See what he has left. He at least has usable skill and some offensive ability that could work better than Gazdic in the lineup  and take more of a regular shift and not be a liability .

If he has a bad camp , you just dont sign him .

11 minutes ago, phoenix66 said:

its a case of need,, Toronto currently sits $1.6 M over the cap. even with players going IR they have to be compliant on day 1 of the season, so its likely they have to move either JVR or Bozak 

I would much rather Bozak than JVR. Bozak fills more of a need as RHS and one of the better faceoff guys in the league. And he would be cheaper to acquire.

They could get cap compliant by sending Fehr and another player down. On the 2nd day of the season they can put guys on LTIR, and call up players.

They probably wouldn't trade JVR or Bozak though as they would want to stay as close to the cap as possible to really take advantage of the LTIR.

As has been discussed you do not need to be cap complaint day 1 in order to use LTIR. If you want to maximize the benefit to LTIR then yes but if it's simply putting a player on LTIR in order to field a complaint team you do not need to wait until day 1. So there is no requirement for the leafs to trade someone to be cap compliant. 

That being said I wonder if they signed Marleau to facilitate a JVR for dman trade. Obviously his name was out there in connection with Hamonic so I wonder if they are dangling him to get blueline help and move him before he is a UFA next year.  

7 minutes ago, cross16 said:

As has been discussed you do not need to be cap complaint day 1 in order to use LTIR. If you want to maximize the benefit to LTIR then yes but if it's simply putting a player on LTIR in order to field a complaint team you do not need to wait until day 1. So there is no requirement for the leafs to trade someone to be cap compliant. 

That being said I wonder if they signed Marleau to facilitate a JVR for dman trade. Obviously his name was out there in connection with Hamonic so I wonder if they are dangling him to get blueline help and move him before he is a UFA next year.  

its a tricky formula, they can be no more than 10% over on the last day of camp,   and cannot place players on LTIR until they are compliant . In the leafs case they're less than 10% over so its a moot point  kinda, but it does limit what they can do 

this is actually a really good explanation .. just happens to use the leafs as an example

https://theleafsnation.com/2016/05/07/ltir-isn-t-free-cap-space-and-the-leafs-need-to-be-cautious-in-using-it/

22 minutes ago, phoenix66 said:

its a tricky formula, they can be no more than 10% over on the last day of camp,   and cannot place players on LTIR until they are compliant . In the leafs case they're less than 10% over so its a moot point  kinda, but it does limit what they can do 

this is actually a really good explanation .. just happens to use the leafs as an example

https://theleafsnation.com/2016/05/07/ltir-isn-t-free-cap-space-and-the-leafs-need-to-be-cautious-in-using-it/

That article is misleading. You CAN put a player on LTIR during training camp if they fail a physical and you need to do so in order to start the season with a cap compliant team. What they are referring to is the utilization of LTIR exemptions during the season, its two different formulas. 

Look at Detroit last season. They started the season over the cap because of Franzens LTIR. 

3 hours ago, travel_dude said:

I hear that.  Missed out on that one, and he stays in the East.

Neal or Nino.  Nino is way cheaper, and LV can sell Neal to the fans.  Vegas may be more likely to deal since they are just building.

How about Brouwer+ for Nino.  They get cost certainty for 3 years.  Maybe they could use Rittich in their system.  Or a older prospect D-man or Bart.

If you were Minny would you do that deal? They want $s to re-sign Nino rather than add a bad contract to lose him. ;)

2 minutes ago, Flyerfan52 said:

If you were Minny would you do that deal? They want $s to re-sign Nino rather than add a bad contract to lose him. ;)

Of course not, just saying what we have available.

Maybe they aren't that keen on re-signing him.  I don't know what else they would want that we could trade.

3 hours ago, phoenix66 said:

interesting .. Sure doesnt sound like Gazdic is  pre-ticketed for Stockton...gonna get every opportunity to stick

Ouch, that's bad news if the intention was to play him in the NHL.  Honestly, Bollig is a much better option than Gadzic.  Or, wish we got Chris Thorburn.  Gadzic is not NHL material.

I'm just hoping it doesn't take much longer to sign the remaining RFA's and hopefully either sign or trade for a true top 6 forward. BT was smart to take care of our D for the next 3 yrs...now it's a matter of tinkering with our forwards and I think we are set for a more successful playoff push. I'm really going to put much of our success on GG this season, year 1 was a mixed bag but with what should be better goaltending and a very sincere D corps we should be a tougher opponent and let's hope we can figure out the PP already!

38 minutes ago, rickross said:

I'm just hoping it doesn't take much longer to sign the remaining RFA's and hopefully either sign or trade for a true top 6 forward. BT was smart to take care of our D for the next 3 yrs...now it's a matter of tinkering with our forwards and I think we are set for a more successful playoff push. I'm really going to put much of our success on GG this season, year 1 was a mixed bag but with what should be better goaltending and a very sincere D corps we should be a tougher opponent and let's hope we can figure out the PP already!

Our pp was #10 in the league after a really poor start, and most powerplays are going to go through cold spells, even the capitals have had issues before. 

I dont think a top 6 winger is going to get filled this offseason, there is just not enough options out there, and the ones that are probably cost way too much. I could see jagr being brought in, but I dont know if he fits the way GG wants to play. I think our top 9 will be plenty balanced with the way it is, and I think we have enough talent to load up our top 6. But I think the flames want to spread it out throughout the top 9, which is a good idea, gives a more balanced attack, as long as bennett gets his elbowing together.

10 hours ago, AlbertaBoy12 said:

Our pp was #10 in the league after a really poor start, and most powerplays are going to go through cold spells, even the capitals have had issues before. 

I dont think a top 6 winger is going to get filled this offseason, there is just not enough options out there, and the ones that are probably cost way too much. I could see jagr being brought in, but I dont know if he fits the way GG wants to play. I think our top 9 will be plenty balanced with the way it is, and I think we have enough talent to load up our top 6. But I think the flames want to spread it out throughout the top 9, which is a good idea, gives a more balanced attack, as long as bennett gets his elbowing together.

I am warming up to the idea of Jussi Jokinen, very versatile and much like Frolik could help in a number of areas. If that ideal RW for the top line isn't there use Ferland but fortify some other areas. A line of Jokinen LW, Backlund C and Frolik RW would be a very experienced effective shut down line with scoring ability. This frees up Tkachuk to play with Bennett and Lazar to create another potentially potent scoring line. Your 4th line as of now could be  Versteeg LW, Stajan C and Brouwer RW another experienced shut down line with scoring potential.

3 minutes ago, MAC331 said:

I am warming up to the idea of Jussi Jokinen, very versatile and much like Frolik could help in a number of areas. If that ideal RW for the top line isn't there use Ferland but fortify some other areas. A line of Jokinen LW, Backlund C and Frolik RW would be a very experienced effective shut down line with scoring ability. This frees up Tkachuk to play with Bennett and Lazar to create another potentially potent scoring line. Your 4th line as of now could be  Versteeg LW, Stajan C and Brouwer RW another experienced shut down line with scoring potential.

Although the other Jokinen is a fine player, we have the youth that need to be brought in probably just as good, with much better upside.  NO to more veterans brought in unless it's a trade and a vet is going out.

2 minutes ago, cccsberg said:

Although the other Jokinen is a fine player, we have the youth that need to be brought in probably just as good, with much better upside.  NO to more veterans brought in unless it's a trade and a vet is going out.

We don't have any forwards ready to make the jump IMO except Jankowski and if Stajan remains MJ is better off in Stockton. There will be injuries and I think this is where our better prospects will have to continue developing and be ready for call ups.

10 hours ago, AlbertaBoy12 said:

The market isn't just UFA's.  There are players that may go to arbitration or the team decides the negotiations are not fitting in with their internal or max cap.  Those players could become available for less than market price or result n a buyout elsewhere.  As far as UFA's go, the longer they go unsigned, the cheaper they will sign for.  I don't want any scraps.  If a decent player that fits our needs is available, then we should sign him.  If it's close to a million, then the player can always be sent down if a prospect blows the doors off.  Also, teams will start to have needs as the season gets close.  Stajan may not have much value in trade right now, but could be a useful trade piece down the road.

I will say this.  Our team FO% is not that great.  Not bad, just not great.  Not something we need to address by getting a Jokinen, unless he directly replaces Stajan.  As far as top 6, I would love to get a Nino or similar.  Would allow us to use Ferland and Tkachuk on their proper wings.  Allows us to use Versteeg and Brouwer as depth.  Allows Lazar to develop into the player management thinks he is, but at a reasonable progression.  

58 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

The market isn't just UFA's.  There are players that may go to arbitration or the team decides the negotiations are not fitting in with their internal or max cap.  Those players could become available for less than market price or result n a buyout elsewhere.  As far as UFA's go, the longer they go unsigned, the cheaper they will sign for.  I don't want any scraps.  If a decent player that fits our needs is available, then we should sign him.  If it's close to a million, then the player can always be sent down if a prospect blows the doors off.  Also, teams will start to have needs as the season gets close.  Stajan may not have much value in trade right now, but could be a useful trade piece down the road.

I will say this.  Our team FO% is not that great.  Not bad, just not great.  Not something we need to address by getting a Jokinen, unless he directly replaces Stajan.  As far as top 6, I would love to get a Nino or similar.  Would allow us to use Ferland and Tkachuk on their proper wings.  Allows us to use Versteeg and Brouwer as depth.  Allows Lazar to develop into the player management thinks he is, but at a reasonable progression.  

Agreed that it isent just UFAs, but I dont see many players who are top 6 worthy just being traded, nino or coyle may be available but im not sure Minnesota takes that route, I think they want to win now and I dont know if a trade works. As far as arbitration isent the rule for that if you go to arbitration you have to accept the ruling? I was pretty sure thats why we signed bouma to the ridiculous deal, because he might have got more in arbitration.

Hopefully with the faceoff percentage we see some improvement from backlund and bennett, if they get above 50% id be more then happy. Isent nino a left shot? So he would be on his off wing then.

15 minutes ago, cross16 said:

In case anyone was holding out for Yakupov.....

nice.. and here i was wiling to give him $1M..     Colorado is becoming the island of misfit kids.. Colborne, Bourque, Comeau.. now Yak..  tho i think Bourqe is gone now 

tho TBH.. in hoping for Jokkinen now.. good fit,  great on shootouts.. good FO%

3 hours ago, MAC331 said:

Jussi could be a decent addition if it was in the right price range...   Another possible line combo could to put Jokinen with Bennett and Versteeg to balance it out...   Jussi can play a more defensively responsible style than Bennett or Versteeg, and could compliment their offensive skills and add some stability 

17 minutes ago, Carty said:

Jussi could be a decent addition if it was in the right price range...   Another possible line combo could to put Jokinen with Bennett and Versteeg to balance it out...   Jussi can play a more defensively responsible style than Bennett or Versteeg, and could compliment their offensive skills and add some stability 

I get what you're saying, maybe having a defender on with Bennett gives him a sense of freedom to do his thing. Although, I think Bennett's two-way game is one of the best on the team, after Backlund and Frolik. That's really because they score more, but Bennett will catch-up just as they did. 

57 minutes ago, phoenix66 said:

nice.. and here i was wiling to give him $1M..     Colorado is becoming the island of misfit kids.. Colborne, Bourque, Comeau.. now Yak..  tho i think Bourqe is gone now 

tho TBH.. in hoping for Jokkinen now.. good fit,  great on shootouts.. good FO%

I anticipate a deal to acquire a few Oilers after that comment.

Archived