So Where do we go from here? Analysis & Predictions

cccsberg

11 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

The only problem with eating salary is that in his last 3 years of his contract, he makes $3m, $2m, and $2m.  I will ask it this way to avoid confusion; if LA ate $2m in salary, is that actual or cap or both?

As far as his skills go, he hasn't slowed down.  He's been consistent the last three years, even this year where the Kings could score if their lives depended on it.  As far as his value in the last 3 years - if he was more or less a plug, you could trade him to a team that needed cap with low salary.  IMHO, he doesn't tail off that much anyway.

Believe it is a % thing as opposed to "we agree to eat 1 million". Not fully clear but here are the rules on it

What is a retained salary transaction/trade

When a team trades a player, they have the option to retain a part of their salary (and cap hit). The team who retains the salary then pays the retained percentage of the salary, and also retains the percentage of the cap hit until the contract expires. The following requirements must be met to retain salary:
  1. The percentage retained cannot exceed 50 percent of the player’s salary (including all bonuses) and Salary Cap Hit.
  2. The same percentage must be retained for both the player’s salary and Salary Cap Hit, and cannot be modified.
  3. All teams are limited to a maximum of 3 retained salary contracts per season.
  4. Teams cannot retain an aggregate amount of more than 15 percent of the Salary Cap Upper Ceiling.
  5. Players’ contracts are limited to 2 retained salary transactions per contract.

https://www.capfriendly.com/faq#retained

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 2017-04-20 at 1:19 PM, The_People1 said:

"Not ready" as in even as a back-up?  Most NHL starters nowadays get groomed to be a starter as a back-up first and i think that's the next progression for Gillies and it should happen as early as this next season.

I want to give Gillies time as a starter, to have the games under his belt. 

What has been one of the biggest knocks on Elliott or goalies like him? 

Answer:

Has as he ever carried a team as a starter? 

Gillies needs to run run with a team first and get games and minutes in. At least that is what I think.

18 minutes ago, robrob74 said:

I want to give Gillies time as a starter, to have the games under his belt. 

What has been one of the biggest knocks on Elliott or goalies like him? 

Answer:

Has as he ever carried a team as a starter? 

Gillies needs to run run with a team first and get games and minutes in. At least that is what I think.

Sure, either way the Flames need to get a legit starter next season.  Gillies will at most be backup.

I want a veteran starting goaltender as the Flame's # 1 next season.

Via trade or UFA, I don't care, just as long as the term is no more than 2 - 3 years.

I would have no problem with Gilles as Calgary's backup, IF he earns it at training camp.

If not, re-sign Johnson or someone similar to a 1 - 2 year contract (I feel that there will be lots out there).

7 hours ago, Carty said:

Somebody has to throw this one out there...   and I am not saying it is a great idea...   Just cheap fodder for discussion

Sounds like Kovalchuk wants back in the NHL...   He just turned 34, and is coming off a 78 point season in 60 KHL games with 32 goals and 46 assists...   He has size at 6'3", 227 lbs...   Still listed as a LW but played quite a bit at RW with the Devils...   Just went and watched a fair bit for clips before posting this, and he still has speed and endurance, can dominate the play and has a snipers shot...

Don't think there is any chance he will play for the Devils, and don't think it would cost that much to obtain his rights...   also don't think he will be looking for a huge payday, but more of an opportunity to play on a quality line with a chance to contribute and shine on a team that has a shot at potentially chasing a cup within the next few years...

Again, just food for thought as a possible option if someone like Oshie is not available...

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/ilya-kovalchuk-still-first-line-player-nhl/

2 hours ago, The_People1 said:

Sure, either way the Flames need to get a legit starter next season.  Gillies will at most be backup.

Every time I think about our past discussions of "rebuilding", the more I reminisce of what might have been.

Definitely, to maintain our objective of finishing middle of the pack and getting snuffed in the first round, we're going to need a solid starter, and then we'll need to overplay them.

It's gotten us this far, for instance handing over McDavid to the Oilers, ensuring we have no chance at Nolan Patrick (or similar), having no NHL-worthy developed goaltenders,  and watching 17th ave fill with Oilers fans watching the second round.

We might as well stay the course ;)

5 hours ago, The_People1 said:

I think Carter would be a good for on the top line but when I look at players from the 2003 draft who are slowing down, I feel Carter will soon follow.  We're talking players like Staal, Perry, Vanek, Parise, Backes, Richards, Eriksson, etc.  A few guys are still going strong but time will soon catch up with them.  Like Getzlaf, Bergeron, Pavelski, Kesler, Burns, etc.  If the Flames want to be competitive with their new core for the next 10 years, then we should avoid acquiring these guys.

Like it did with Jagr?

Selanne was a force until he retired @ 43.

Carter is 32.

7 hours ago, Carty said:

Somebody has to throw this one out there...   and I am not saying it is a great idea...   Just cheap fodder for discussion

Sounds like Kovalchuk wants back in the NHL...   He just turned 34, and is coming off a 78 point season in 60 KHL games with 32 goals and 46 assists...   He has size at 6'3", 227 lbs...   Still listed as a LW but played quite a bit at RW with the Devils...   Just went and watched a fair bit for clips before posting this, and he still has speed and endurance, can dominate the play and has a snipers shot...

Don't think there is any chance he will play for the Devils, and don't think it would cost that much to obtain his rights...   also don't think he will be looking for a huge payday, but more of an opportunity to play on a quality line with a chance to contribute and shine on a team that has a shot at potentially chasing a cup within the next few years...

Again, just food for thought as a possible option if someone like Oshie is not available...

doesnt the guy still have something Stupid like 8-9 years left on his contract ?  he picks up where he left off, No ?

3 minutes ago, Flyerfan52 said:

Like it did with Jagr?

Selanne was a force until he retired @ 43.

Carter is 32.

Those two are hall of famers and all time greats Carter is not. They are the exceptions and not the norm, to use them as examples of what Carter could do is far fetched.

33 minutes ago, phoenix66 said:

doesnt the guy still have something Stupid like 8-9 years left on his contract ?  he picks up where he left off, No ?

From:   http://www.tsn.ca/kovalchuk-situation-raises-many-questions-with-few-answers-1.447334

“What I'd say on Kovalchuk: There’s a lot of different rules that apply to his situation,” NHL deputy commissioner Bill Daly told reporters in Denver last week. “It’s a complicated situation, so unless and until he wants to come back to the National Hockey League, he wants to sign a contract, I’m not going to be able to tell you definitively what rules apply and how they apply.

“What I would say is, having signed his voluntary retired list form and being on our list, that gives the Devils preferential rights to his NHL (rights).”

The belief is that Kovalchuk would have to sit out all of next season, not play in any league in the world, and then the Devils would still need league approval for him to return.

Or, Kovalchuk could apply to be reinstated, but he would require approval from all 30 teams. Another option is for Kovalchuk to wait until he is 35, three years from now, at which point he would become an unrestricted free agent.

However, there is believed to be a fourth option that exists, one that might allow for an immediate return to the Devils. As pointed out by Sports Illustrated’s Allan Muir in a 2015 article, there are contradicting clauses in the NHL’s bylaws that state that Kovalchuk could be transferred back to the Devils’ reserve list off the voluntarily retired list because it has been more than a year since he voluntarily retired. That could theoretically open the doors to a playoff run with the Devils, since he would have been on their reserve list the entire time.

As Daly said, it is complicated. Would it be under the old contract, the one that was terminated? Would it be under a new contract? Would any of the other 29 teams grieve the process? Would he have to sit out a year?

The details of the original contract, before Kovalchuk 'retired'...   http://www.espn.com/new-york/nhl/news/story?id=5392170

How the Devils got off the hook for cap circumvention...   http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nhl-puck-daddy/nhl-lets-nj-devils-off-hook-for-ilya-kovalchuk-contract-punishment-181853523.html

17 minutes ago, jjgallow said:

Every time I think about our past discussions of "rebuilding", the more I reminisce of what might have been.

Definitely, to maintain our objective of finishing middle of the pack and getting snuffed in the first round, we're going to need a solid starter, and then we'll need to overplay them.

It's gotten us this far, for instance handing over McDavid to the Oilers, ensuring we have no chance at Nolan Patrick (or similar), having no NHL-worthy developed goaltenders,  and watching 17th ave fill with Oilers fans watching the second round.

To continue your logic we should have run a tandem of Ramo/Ortio (2 I remember you being high on), left Monahan in junior & then the AHL, sent Gaudreau to the AHL for 4 years, refused the trade that saw us add Dougie Hamilton & traded Brodie & Gio because they were making it harder to lose games.

End result is if the balls don't take any 1sts away from us we end up with McDavid, Mathews, Monahan & Patrick down the center, have lost Gaudreau to a play me or trade me dispute & have 0 defense to go with 0 goalies. Our wings would be doubtful as we couldn't have drafted Tkachuk & few UFAs (like Frolik) would have signed with a team on an obvious mission to lose.

4 dang good centers (even Patrick's 2 ex-NHL uncles view him a a shutdown #2/3) with no team behind them leaves you with the "but every UFA wants to play with Hall/RNH/Eberle/Schultz" arguement we saw trolls use here. :rolleyes:

Enjoy that thought.

25 minutes ago, JTech780 said:

Those two are hall of famers and all time greats Carter is not. They are the exceptions and not the norm, to use them as examples of what Carter could do is far fetched.

Carter has more SC rings & Oly Gold than either. HoF is waiting as much lesser have been inducted & Carter has something like 12 years to catch their #s.

13 minutes ago, Flyerfan52 said:

Carter has more SC rings & Oly Gold than either. HoF is waiting as much lesser have been inducted & Carter has something like 12 years to catch their #s.

Carter has 2 Cup rings and 1 Olympic Gold, Jagr has 2 Cup rings and 1 Olympic Gold and 1 Olympic Bronze, Selanne has a 1 Cup ring and a Olympic Silver and 3 Olympic Bronze

Carter: 0.39 Goals/Game, 0.74 Points/Game

Jagr: 0.45 G/Gm, 1.12 Pts/Gm

Selanne: 0.47 G/Gm, 1.00 Pts/Gm

Carter is going to really have to pick up the pace to be as productive as those two. He isn't even close at the moment. Carter is 32 and I doubt he plays till he is 44.

32 minutes ago, Flyerfan52 said:

To continue your logic we should have run a tandem of Ramo/Ortio (2 I remember you being high on),

Yes to Ortio, no to Ramo.  I was never a Ramo supporter although I would have compromised on it.   You would have hated my suggestion even more, trust me :)

And Ortio, if given the opportunity earlier may have very well worked out.   If not, we wouldn't have to waste time on him or an immovable contract (whole other thread)

left Monahan in junior & then the AHL,

Yes to junior (first year), or perhaps pull a Europe-type move.     No to the AHL.  He'd be ready after that, and probably more elite than ever.

- Without the recurring back issues, and thus probably stronger overall

sent Gaudreau to the AHL for 4 years,

No idea where you got that one from, I don't recall making that suggestion.   It might be different if we had an AHL team like Detroit's used to.  But we don't.

US College was the way to go for him.   But I would have traded him after his first or 2nd full year.   I'm not afraid to draft players that size, but because of their value.   Not because I think they typically make sense on a team built for playoffs.   *Yes, I got nervous in his final year, but I don't remember regretting his US College development

refused the trade that saw us add Dougie Hamilton

And get Connor McDavid instead, or Eichel?    Afraid so, you're sort of right there and I don't see who would take Dougie over McDavid.

* That said, it would have been even EASIER to acquire him Anyway, because we would have had more assets.  

* Ie., better draft pick bargaining chips, or Look Above:   Gaudreau.  Would have happily included him in a deal there (would have needed more than Hamilton)

& traded Brodie & Gio because they were making it harder to lose games.

Not necessarily, and not Brodie, no.  Too young.    Gio, maybe.   Only for the Right deal.  Once again, another way we could have acquired the likes of Hamilton, or similar.

Just because you trade a player doesn't mean you've failed.   We would have gotten an UNBELIEVABLE return, either as picks or prospects,

And I would have been fine with keeping Gio too.   

End result is if the balls don't take any 1sts away from us we end up with McDavid, Mathews, Monahan & Patrick down the center,

That's extreme....how about...even One of those top picks would have been nice?  Considering we chose to rebuild through some of the best drafts in 15 years, and missed ALL of the Top players listed above somehow???  Doesn't seem right.  Not for all that losing, to not get one of them in return.

* And if we somehow got them all (1 in 100 chance), I'm Quite sure that "problem" could be addressed nicely by the GM.

have lost Gaudreau to a play me or trade me dispute

Still lost on the dispute.  But probably would have traded him after the fact, yes, for a Serious return.

& have 0 defense to go with 0 goalies.

We would have WAY more of both.  Albeit younger, and more skilled.   You don't just "lose" Gaudreau, or Gio.  You get assets back.    Ie., Hamilton or otherwise.

You don't just get that many top picks, and not come away with some top prospects.

Our wings would be doubtful as we couldn't have drafted Tkachuk

Most of the picks above him were forwards as well, yo.  Ie., Patrick Laine.      

*Also, by that time, for all you know we'd end up with him anyway.  You assume I wanted more losing pain.  In reality it may have been less.

ie., say we drafted McDavid.  Yeah....done deal.  We're not picking higher than Tkachuk.   But we have McDavid to play with him.

& few UFAs (like Frolik) would have signed with a team on an obvious mission to lose.

seriously?

4 dang good centers (even Patrick's 2 ex-NHL uncles view him a a shutdown #2/3) with no team behind them

1 in 100 chance or less that it plays out like this "dooms day" scenario, which would be immediately sorted out by a phenomenal bidding war and subsequent trade.  And subsequent domination.

leaves you with the "but every UFA wants to play with Hall/RNH/Eberle/Schultz" arguement we saw trolls use here. :rolleyes:

You do realize that's the path we're headed down right now?   We did a half-baked rebuild, drafting forwards first and defence last.  And we're having a lot of the same problems (to a lesser degree) that the Oilers had at that point

8 hours ago, MAC331 said:

I would go 5.5M and 5 years for TJ Oshie, whether that does it or not we will see. I still wouldn't mind trading for Toffoli from LA if their new GM is up for it.

Oshie is having  a career year why would anyone just let him become a free agent? I don't think the Flames have much in value for trade for a pending FA.

Have the Flames shown interest or is this  just  your pipe dream you are promoting?

4 hours ago, jjgallow said:

Looking back, it's really too bad.  If McDavid was an unreal expectation, then even if we could've gotten Ekblad instead of Bennett, I think we'd be better off for it right now.  But alas, Ekblad goes to Florida and develops concussion problems.

The evidence to support tanking as a viable rebuild strategy is there and backed up by empirical history.  It's too bad most fans brought emotions to a fact fight.  They only won the emotional argument but clearly lost the fact argument.  Fact is, tanking works more often to win Cups than not tanking.  Fact is also, going through the process of a tank emotionally sucks.

But it's too late to go back.  We got the pieces we got and have to live with it.  We have to cheer we will be an exception to the rule, that we can win a Cup without tanking which is still possible (ie Red Wings).

Based on previous experience I'm expecting gradual incremental changes over the off-season, but what I would like is a blockbuster trade or two.  Those could involve any of Gaudreau, Bennett, Gio and/or Backlund.  

In addition to this I'm wondering what in the world happened to Poirier in the AHL?  I think he's been gone for 'personal reasons' for a few months.  To me he's a young Quebec kid poorly adapting to California and gone home to consider if he's got it in him to continue hockey...   Anyone heard anything else?  Seems like a no-brainer to trade him off the Les Habs, or as a trade throw-in.  With the Galchenyuk controversy and the GM's "I'll never trade Price(PK) to anybody" statements it makes you wonder what's up with that team.  Also, after some pretty drastic trades this year both pre-season and at the TDL but then falling flat I'd expect they are in for some major changes...

1 hour ago, cccsberg said:

Based on previous experience I'm expecting gradual incremental changes over the off-season, but what I would like is a blockbuster trade or two.  Those could involve any of Gaudreau, Bennett, Gio and/or Backlund.  

In addition to this I'm wondering what in the world happened to Poirier in the AHL?  I think he's been gone for 'personal reasons' for a few months.  To me he's a young Quebec kid poorly adapting to California and gone home to consider if he's got it in him to continue hockey...   Anyone heard anything else?  Seems like a no-brainer to trade him off the Les Habs, or as a trade throw-in.  With the Galchenyuk controversy and the GM's "I'll never trade Price(PK) to anybody" statements it makes you wonder what's up with that team.  Also, after some pretty drastic trades this year both pre-season and at the TDL but then falling flat I'd expect they are in for some major changes...

Don't expect a blockbuster.  The only player we could consider in trade would be Gio or Brodie.  Gio because of his age near the end of the contract, and Brodie because of his focus during a tough time in his life; it affected his ability to play.  The problem with trading either guy is that you have to replace with an equivalent level player.  A Subban for Weber scenario.

Trading JH makes no sense right now.  Had an off season, which followed two breakout seasons.  Being a bad year for him, he still put up more points in 71 games than anyone else did on the team.  Monahan scores goals because JH gets him the puck.

How does trading JH improve the team?  If you can provide a trade that makes us better, then I would listen to it.  JH for Hall?

Little to no upgrade, just gets you a bigger sized player.  

Trading Backlund is a popular discussion, but again what do you have to get to make the team better?  Kesler or Bergeron? Sure.  But teams don't usually make those trades.  Besides, Kesler and Bergeron are both signed to big money, big term deals. Is it a contract issue?  He's cheap until the end of next year.  Solve the problem at that point.  

BT is a low-risk GM.  He's not going to pull off a blockbuster.  He may sign a UFA or two to fill some need, but he's just as likely to re-sign the guys he had (Engelland, Stone, Versteeg, Chaisson).  

1 hour ago, cccsberg said:

I think you will be disappointed if those are your expectations.

Bergevin is a terrible GM and ownership in MON doesn't seem to realize it. You might be able to trade Poirier for Beaulieu D as it appears Bergevin has soured on him.

Just now, travel_dude said:

Don't expect a blockbuster.  The only player we could consider in trade would be Gio or Brodie.  Gio because of his age near the end of the contract, and Brodie because of his focus during a tough time in his life; it affected his ability to play.  The problem with trading either guy is that you have to replace with an equivalent level player.  A Subban for Weber scenario.

Trading JH makes no sense right now.  Had an off season, which followed two breakout seasons.  Being a bad year for him, he still put up more points in 71 games than anyone else did on the team.  Monahan scores goals because JH gets him the puck.

How does trading JH improve the team?  If you can provide a trade that makes us better, then I would listen to it.  JH for Hall?

Trading Backlund is a popular discussion, but again what do you have to get to make the team better?  Kesler or Bergeron? Sure.  But teams don't usually make those trades.  Besides, Kesler and Bergeron are both signed to big money, big term deals. Is it a contract issue?  He's cheap until the end of next year.  Solve the problem at that point.  

BT is a low-risk GM.  He's not going to pull off a blockbuster.  He may sign a UFA or two to fill some need, but he's just as likely to re-sign the guys he had (Engelland, Stone, Versteeg, Chaisson).  

I agree we will not see any real blockbuster deals, this isn't what is required. I like that BT should be in a good position to deal with any UFA at his pricing not theirs or he can walk away. We don have in house options outside of goaltending immediately. I could see the return of Engelland, Versteeg and Stone but not Chiasson,

10 minutes ago, MAC331 said:

I agree we will not see any real blockbuster deals, this isn't what is required. I like that BT should be in a good position to deal with any UFA at his pricing not theirs or he can walk away. We don have in house options outside of goaltending immediately. I could see the return of Engelland, Versteeg and Stone but not Chiasson,

I keep going back and forth on Engelland, Stone and Chaisson.  Engelland did what was expected, provided toughness, and played a lot on the PK.  But he is going on 36.  Can't expect much left in the tank, or to be much better than replacement level shot suppression next year.  Stone was okay, not much better than Engelland.  But he had a down season and never looked 100%.  Chaisson was okay in the role he played near the end of the season.  But his hockey sense is lacking, and does he really offer any more than what a prospect could bring?  Versteeg is a no-brainer in my mind.

The goal should be to improve the team incrementally.  Replace the fringe guys with better players.  Look for the players that fit the system.  Be ready to use picks, prospects and/or current roster players that are not part of the core or ones that do not fit. 

2 hours ago, cccsberg said:

I think you are right on Porier. Everything i've heard suggests he isn't sure if he wants to keep playing. Unfortunately at this point I don't think you could get anything for him in trade unless it's another prospect the other team has zero interest in keeping so you would be moving him to try and do right by the player, but I'm also not sure if being away from home as anyting to do with it. We'll find out soon I would guess.

32 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

I keep going back and forth on Engelland, Stone and Chaisson.  Engelland did what was expected, provided toughness, and played a lot on the PK.  But he is going on 36.  Can't expect much left in the tank, or to be much better than replacement level shot suppression next year.  Stone was okay, not much better than Engelland.  But he had a down season and never looked 100%.  Chaisson was okay in the role he played near the end of the season.  But his hockey sense is lacking, and does he really offer any more than what a prospect could bring?  Versteeg is a no-brainer in my mind.

The goal should be to improve the team incrementally.  Replace the fringe guys with better players.  Look for the players that fit the system.  Be ready to use picks, prospects and/or current roster players that are not part of the core or ones that do not fit. 

I look at thing different than you do when it comes to or needs. If BT can replace some toughness on the team Engelland will not be back. If he can't Engelland for 1 more year wouldn't hurt us.

Stone is a steady defenseman with a tinge of offense with his shot, nothing fancy about him. He could be used as a steady influence with either Brodie or a prospect IMO.

Versteeg over Chiasson is no question in Versteegs favor. I'm not going to run Chiasson down but he just isn't what we need.

1 hour ago, travel_dude said:

I agree that you need a quality for quality trade in any scenario.  Probably the best potential option would be trading Gaudreau with the idea that he disappears during playoffs and a different style player might be more effective.

Archived