I quit

Protestor

I'm sick of the game-rigging by Bettman. It's clear as day that the officiating is tilted in favour of the american teams, and it doesn't take much to ensure that no Canadian team wins the cup - just a few "missed" or "bad" calls here and there.

Tonight's game proved that to me. I watched the ref getting his checking from behind chewed out by Toronto during the no-goal that was a goal, and then the Ducks were given the green light to go to town without worrying about being called.

I've got better things to do with my time than cheer for the losing side in a rigged match. I'm hanging up my jersey for good.

Good riddance I guess! Conspiracy theories are just excuses for a teams shortcomings and the Flames have come up short so far in this series. Sure there have been controversial calls throughout but not enough to pin it on Bettman and the refs. It's hockey, close calls are made all the time. Canadian teams are amongst the most profitable, supportive and loyal fan bases in the entire NHL. Just let this idea go, your frustration will pass and a new season will be upon us in a few months. Relax, it's just hockey. 

I always watch a different game than most of you what I saw was a ducks team that was allowed to take every chance after every whistle to punch them the Flames cross check them 2 or 3 times face washes every chance right in front of the refs no calls no warnings. I know we got some penalties but even the refs couldn't let them slide but how can they do this every whistle and not a call. I am so proud of the flames to just smile and skate away it was tuff to watch but kodo's the the Flames. at the end they still get the shaft. 

3 hours ago, zima said:

I always watch a different game than most of you what I saw was a ducks team that was allowed to take every chance after every whistle to punch them the Flames cross check them 2 or 3 times face washes every chance right in front of the refs no calls no warnings. I know we got some penalties but even the refs couldn't let them slide but how can they do this every whistle and not a call. I am so proud of the flames to just smile and skate away it was tuff to watch but kodo's the the Flames. at the end they still get the shaft. 

Playoff hockey for one and im assuming the refs didnt want to send the ducks to the box for the entire game, having a game where the ducks have 10 penalties against and the flames 0 wouldnt look good. As much I dont agree with the idea of it, refs have done testing and its been looked at that if they call so many penalties one way they will probably stop and start looking the other way harder( to even things out). I think the flames were doing a good job last night trying not to retaliate and get themselves into trouble.

16 hours ago, Protestor said:

I'm sick of the game-rigging by Bettman. It's clear as day that the officiating is tilted in favour of the american teams, and it doesn't take much to ensure that no Canadian team wins the cup - just a few "missed" or "bad" calls here and there.

Tonight's game proved that to me. I watched the ref getting his checking from behind chewed out by Toronto during the no-goal that was a goal, and then the Ducks were given the green light to go to town without worrying about being called.

I've got better things to do with my time than cheer for the losing side in a rigged match. I'm hanging up my jersey for good.

It's always a good idea to sleep on it after a game.

That was heart-breaking, protecting leads is never a good idea against a powerhouse team. We had them, but we let it slip away.

Can't ever stop pressing the play, but we did.

4 hours ago, conundrumed said:

It's always a good idea to sleep on it after a game.

That was heart-breaking, protecting leads is never a good idea against a powerhouse team. We had them, but we let it slip away.

Can't ever stop pressing the play, but we did.

Yes, it is better to let the frustration wear off a little bit before quitting. I recall a spoof of Ross Perot on SNL or some show like that. At the beginning of the presidential race, he emphatically says "I am totally in this thing for the long haul. No way, I am turning back." In the next sentence, he says "Screw this and all of you, I am finished with this crap. I am outta here!" Then, he says, "To hell with it, I am totally in this thing for good." The funny thing is that is really what happened with his presidential campaign.

22 hours ago, Protestor said:

I hear ya!!! elbowing happens in sports all the time...There has been corrupt judging in the Olympics, boxing, MMA...Recently there was deflate gate...People using performance enhancing drugs or corked bats...

Cheating happens all the time!!! I have absolutely no doubt that the scales are tipped against Canadian markets for the most part...I also don't think it is a coincidence that Katz and Bettman went to the bedroom together and came out with a new arena and the next NHL poster child!!! Look at the calls the Oilers have gotten this year and the nice schedule they had plus winning 2 lotteries without finishing last!!!

However, it sure becomes a thrilling ride when your favourite team overcomes the bias and succeeds against all odds!!! It's still a great game to watch just don't bet your hard earned money because the outcomes are not fixed...but they are guided!!!

22 hours ago, Protestor said:

I don't agree with giving up, and I'm on the fence with the whole rigging thing, but I do agree with you that the Flames definitely got the shaft in at least that last game, where the refs essentially made the wrong call and the video review logic led us down an even stupider path.

My one question is...where was the angle from behind the net?  Isn't there always a camera there?

Anyone disagreeing that the stick wasn't high and that the call was close is flat out wrong....

Parallax does make it hard to know exactly where his stick is but since the  camera angle is coming from above it makes the stick appear much lower than it actually was...If you look at Carty's stills you can determine that the stick was around shoulder level on both Backlund and Thompson and use the yellow border as a reference...I assure you that both mens shoulders are well above the crossbar...hell even Jonny's shoulders are well above the crossbar....

The league issued a statement saying they have an angle that proves the stick was below the crossbar but nobody outside of the war room has seen this angle...If the league had any interest in transparency this could have been released and shown that the league is capable and interested in making the right call...

9 hours ago, hockeypriest2 said:

The league issued a statement saying they have an angle that proves the stick was below the crossbar but nobody outside of the war room has seen this angle...If the league had any interest in transparency this could have been released and shown that the league is capable and interested in making the right call...

The NHL makes these statements rather frequently IMO. That is, they have far better reviews than anyone else. Well then, why not put the issue to rest and show the stills or video? Not doing so encourages the conspiracy theories.

12 minutes ago, Cowtownguy said:

The NHL makes these statements rather frequently IMO. That is, they have far better reviews than anyone else. Well then, why not put the issue to rest and show the stills or video? Not doing so encourages the conspiracy theories.

The nhl probably wants conspiracy theories because then everyone is talking about the game.

37 minutes ago, AlbertaBoy12 said:

The nhl probably wants conspiracy theories because then everyone is talking about the game.

The NHL just wants to make Gary Bettman's wallet fatter...   He has a thing for insisting hockey belongs where there is never any natural ice, because he thinks that's where the money is...   The Yotes should have been relocated to Quebec when the league had control of the team, the attendance and the ticket prices would have been higher even in and old arena there than it has been in the desert...   But no...   Vegas get's a shiny new team instead...

2 minutes ago, Carty said:

The NHL just wants to make Gary Bettman's wallet fatter...   He has a thing for insisting hockey belongs where there is never any natural ice, because he thinks that's where the money is...   The Yotes should have been relocated to Quebec when the league had control of the team, the attendance and the ticket prices would have been higher even in and old arena there than it has been in the desert...   But no...   Vegas get's a shiny new team instead...

I am not even entirely clear on his plan. If they want to put hockey teams in large lucrative markets where people only experience ice when it comes out of a fridge, then why has Houston never been given a team? From the reading that I have done, it is the juiciest place of all to sell a professional sports team. Houston and ice hockey sound as mutually exclusive as Bettman and joy, but a lot of people have scratched their heads about locating in Dallas, Phoenix, Atlanta, and  Vegas. 

In any case, I don't believe that the NHL has these secret videos that clear up these issues. There is too much on the line. And surely the Flames organization would not have complained about officiating if all was well, and mistakes were simply made randomly throughout the league. 

14 minutes ago, Cowtownguy said:

In any case, I don't believe that the NHL has these secret videos that clear up these issues. There is too much on the line. And surely the Flames organization would not have complained about officiating if all was well, and mistakes were simply made randomly throughout the league. 

The NHL doesn't have jack elbowing for videos to clear up ongoing league wide issues with poor officiating...   They could but they choose not to, and why could that possibly be?...

They should implement existing technology and disclose the results and provide them publicly so the teams are all happy that important calls are fair and they are satisfied and also for the fans...   The fans that pay for all of it in the first place...

11 hours ago, hockeypriest2 said:

Anyone disagreeing that the stick wasn't high and that the call was close is flat out wrong....

Parallax does make it hard to know exactly where his stick is but since the  camera angle is coming from above it makes the stick appear much lower than it actually was...If you look at Carty's stills you can determine that the stick was around shoulder level on both Backlund and Thompson and use the yellow border as a reference...I assure you that both mens shoulders are well above the crossbar...hell even Jonny's shoulders are well above the crossbar....

The frames I put together are pretty good and parallax or not, it's pretty hard to argue with known heights of players and the crossbar when that much difference in height would need to somehow magically vanish, but it is also worth looking at something that travel_dude found that removes the parallax effect from the argument...   He posted it in the GDT, but I will borrow it and add it here as well...   It's well worth a read through, here's the link:   https://thewincolumnblog.wordpress.com/2017/04/18/high-stick-scientific-analysis-of-nate-thompsons-goal/

and here is a pic that is part of the analysis...

6319415b54273d149c91560cbc69f755.png

21 minutes ago, Carty said:

The NHL doesn't have jack elbowing for videos to clear up ongoing league wide issues with poor officiating...   They could but they choose not to, and why could that possibly be?...

They should implement existing technology and disclose the results and provide them publicly so the teams are all happy that important calls are fair and they are satisfied and also for the fans...   The fans that pay for all of it in the first place...

The frames I put together are pretty good and parallax or not, it's pretty hard to argue with known heights of players and the crossbar when that much difference in height would need to somehow magically vanish, but it is also worth looking at something that travel_dude found that removes the parallax effect from the argument...   He posted it in the GDT, but I will borrow it and add it here as well...   It's well worth a read through, here's the link:   https://thewincolumnblog.wordpress.com/2017/04/18/high-stick-scientific-analysis-of-nate-thompsons-goal/

What I don't like about the calls is, refs and linesmen are not making calls because video review will fix it for them. Then when a play is not conclusive they have to go with the call on the ice. Well, why can't it go the other way, if they can't figure out if it was a high stick or not, call it off, because it could possibly be either way. The ref should have called it a high stick regardless! Then they could have looked at it. 

59 minutes ago, Carty said:

That pic there looks pretty conclusive, im not sure what angle the nhl was looking at it from that proves differently.

Maybe they are going top down view and are like everything looks good from here.

4 hours ago, AlbertaBoy12 said:

That pic there looks pretty conclusive, im not sure what angle the nhl was looking at it from that proves differently.

Maybe they are going top down view and are like everything looks good from here.

The most conclusive angle would be at 4 feet above the ice, directly behind the net.  But you would need 3-6 of them positioned in a semi-circle to avoid being blocked by the goalie or one of the players.  I think Jtech posted the one the NHL used as proof.  It was at an angle that made it look too close to call.  

I think the only solution is to use technology to solve the problem.  

On 4/19/2017 at 11:41 PM, travel_dude said:

The most conclusive angle would be at 4 feet above the ice, directly behind the net.  But you would need 3-6 of them positioned in a semi-circle to avoid being blocked by the goalie or one of the players.  I think Jtech posted the one the NHL used as proof.  It was at an angle that made it look too close to call.  

I think the only solution is to use technology to solve the problem.  

I think that when it is inconclusive the only thing they can do is disallow the goal. The refs can easily not call it because they have the review to back up their decisions, which in this close of a call, is too close to call and therefore, the only call should be no goal. It isn't how the rule is written, but in a case like this, it is 50/50 and there should be conclusive evidence either way. They missed and even beer league refs would call that no goal without a review because the stick looks high to start.

Archived