Flames sign U.S. junior gold medalist Tyler Parsons to entry-level deal

The Calgary Flames signed goaltender Tyler Parsons to a three-year, entry-level contract, the club announced Sunday.

A second-round draft pick last year, Parsons starred for the U.S. at this year's world juniors, as the Americans won gold over Canada in a shootout. Parsons was perfect in the skills competition with the championship on the line, stopping all five Canadian shooters he faced.

full story:

http://www.thescore.com/news/1259126

1 hour ago, JTech780 said:

Quickly jumping to the top of the list of our goaltending prospects. Gillies better steal a spot soon or else Parsons is going to leapfrog him on the depth chart in a year or two.

He may do that anyway, which is good. :) It is good to have that problem if it presents itself. 

Let's hope we're not like Toronto and trade away a "Rask" instead of a "Raycroft." 

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, conundrumed said:

London walks into Erie in game 1 and walks away with the 2-0 win.

After getting outshot 46-12.

Hello Tyler Parsons, lol.

The entire team thanked the kid for winning the game..he's playing out of his mind right now. I'm still a bit annoyed we picked Macdonald over Demko a few years back but this Parsons pickup is making up for it!

1 minute ago, rickross said:

The entire team thanked the kid for winning the game..he's playing out of his mind right now. I'm still a bit annoyed we picked Macdonald over Demko a few years back but this Parsons pickup is making up for it!

I don't mind MacDonald over Demko at all. Developing goalies is typically a long and arduous process.

That will be the case between both of these guys, Demko is not going to be a Holtby "hello my new goalie".

Holtby's intro to the NHL was hilarious. Kind of an, "umm, we have to trade our other goalies" lol.

Now if we took MacD over a Holtby, that would cause some embarrassment!

Our goalie pipeline is

Gillies

Rittich

MacDonald

Parsons

That's a nice balance of skillsets.

MacD will continue to develop. What you see today isn't necessarily what you'll see tomorrow.

He has size and skill, the rest is head space.

Do we just front that group with Elliott?

Someone has to front it.

Parsons is what I would deem an emotional goalie. When he's on edge, he won't let you score. When he's more relaxed, he's pretty average.

He sure brought his hate to Erie last night, so how do you bottle that?

For that, I'd compare him to Quick, really piss him off, he'll zone in with anger, and you're screwed.

And he'll remember why he hates you next time, lol.

Goalies are a different breed, it's just all about headspace and focusing your anger.

Parsons may be an absolute jewel, I kind of expect it.

When he's in Ahole mode, he is quite the goalie.

Last night isn't a huge surprise, that is Parsons entering a series saying, "I effing hate Erie".

Erie's in trouble if he maintains that focus, which is no easy task.

If I were Erie's coach, I'd tell my players to kill him with kind words of encouragement, wear the edge off.

If 46-12 isn't an indication, I don't know what is.

Talk nice to him, see if that works.

2 hours ago, travel_dude said:

Hard to say this early.

Rittich is doing pretty darn for a goalie not ever expected to be a NHL goalie.  Gillies not as good, but showed his NHL capability against the Kings.

Well that's the thing...it's not really early for Riitich, he's 24.   As a 24 year old prospect in the AHL should be, he is strong.  At times, exceptional.  At times, not.   Statistically, in the middle of the pack.    Statistically, what you would have expected from him.   http://www.eliteprospects.com/league.php?leagueid=AHL&season=2016

Gillies, we hope, has some catching up to do after his injury.  At least he is healthy, and has had a stronger last half to the season.

2 hours ago, jjgallow said:

Well that's the thing...it's not really early for Riitich, he's 24.   As a 24 year old prospect in the AHL should be, he is strong.  At times, exceptional.  At times, not.   Statistically, in the middle of the pack.    Statistically, what you would have expected from him.   http://www.eliteprospects.com/league.php?leagueid=AHL&season=2016

Gillies, we hope, has some catching up to do after his injury.  At least he is healthy, and has had a stronger last half to the season.

You can't just look at that page and get a true picture.  Of goalies that have played a similar number of games, he is 10th IIRC.  So top 3rd of the league.  

If you take out the NHL goalies that clutter the picture, he is higher than that.  By clutter, I am talking about guys that should be in the NHL anyway, ir their career is ending and they still have some juice left.

To a certain extent, his age is meaningless, as he just came over to the NHL.  Cmpare him to other rookies, I guess (like Gillies really is).  

On 4/8/2017 at 6:51 PM, travel_dude said:

You can't just look at that page and get a true picture.  Of goalies that have played a similar number of games, he is 10th IIRC.  So top 3rd of the league.  

If you take out the NHL goalies that clutter the picture, he is higher than that.  By clutter, I am talking about guys that should be in the NHL anyway, ir their career is ending and they still have some juice left.

To a certain extent, his age is meaningless, as he just came over to the NHL.  Cmpare him to other rookies, I guess (like Gillies really is).  

Agree on the last part:   Give him some slack, coming out of Europe.  Likewise, give Gillies some slack, having missed a year.  So yeah, treat them the same that way.

But don't, because he's a year older (and yes, I can determine this by looking at that page).

Agreed that all things work out in the wash, except....for the fact that he is a year older.

In terms of goalies playing similar numbers of games....that works to an extent in the NHL but not in a  league where they're getting called up.   Ie.,, yes, you do compare him to Juuse Saros, etc.  And no, he doesn't stack up when he's 2-3 years older and not performing as well (and Saros is not a sure thing).   I'm not damning him....obviously goalies are wildcards and anything is possible.  And his hot streak was impressive.   But when you average it all out, it's about what you would expect for a player his age brought over with pro experience.     The real story, unfortunately, is that Gillies struggled more than we'd hoped.   

And yeah, the same applies to Gillies.   If Gillies puts up Riitich's numbers even next year, I'll just shrug.  What we'd really want to see is first, or at least top 3 in the NHL.  Then we'd know we have a real NHL prospect performing to his age.   And, again, not writing him off either, just saying.

1 hour ago, jjgallow said:

Agree on the last part:   Give him some slack, coming out of Europe.  Likewise, give Gillies some slack, having missed a year.  So yeah, treat them the same that way.

But don't, because he's a year older (and yes, I can determine this by looking at that page).

Agreed that all things work out in the wash, except....for the fact that he is a year older.

In terms of goalies playing similar numbers of games....that works to an extent in the NHL but not in a  league where they're getting called up.   Ie.,, yes, you do compare him to Juuse Saros, etc.  And no, he doesn't stack up when he's 2-3 years older and not performing as well (and Saros is not a sure thing).   I'm not damning him....obviously goalies are wildcards and anything is possible.  And his hot streak was impressive.   But when you average it all out, it's about what you would expect for a player his age brought over with pro experience.     The real story, unfortunately, is that Gillies struggled more than we'd hoped.   

And yeah, the same applies to Gillies.   If Gillies puts up Riitich's numbers even next year, I'll just shrug.  What we'd really want to see is first, or at least top 3 in the NHL.  Then we'd know we have a real NHL prospect performing to his age.   And, again, not writing him off either, just saying.

That's a lot of verbage to say, "maybe"...:P

• 8 months later...

I was at a KC Mavericks game tonight. Unfortunately, Parsons was not in net so I can't directly comment on his play. I will say, however, that KC did not seem like a good team. They played a good team tonight, so maybe that's part of it (they lost 5 to 1). So Parsons numbers, while not great (and worse than his OHL numbers), might be a reflection of the team in front of him. It wouldn't surprise me if he is the reason that they are as high in the standings as they are, but again, I haven't seen him play in person.

Outside of a shorthanded breakaway goal, KC didn't look very dangerous. Smith doesn't seem like a player who will ever make it to the NHL level. Outside of his bushy beard and being in front of the net on PPs, he wasn't very noticeable. McDonald didn't play very well either, giving up 5 goals. I didn't have a good view for a good chunk of the goals but there was at least one bad one and one that he didn't have a good chance on, but might've overplayed it.

TL;DR: Parsons might be a good player on a bad team and that's why his numbers are what they are in the ECHL.

15 minutes ago, xstrike said:

I was at a KC Mavericks game tonight. Unfortunately, Parsons was not in net so I can't directly comment on his play. I will say, however, that KC did not seem like a good team. They played a good team tonight, so maybe that's part of it (they lost 5 to 1). So Parsons numbers, while not great (and worse than his OHL numbers), might be a reflection of the team in front of him. It wouldn't surprise me if he is the reason that they are as high in the standings as they are, but again, I haven't seen him play in person.

Outside of a shorthanded breakaway goal, KC didn't look very dangerous. Smith doesn't seem like a player who will ever make it to the NHL level. Outside of his bushy beard and being in front of the net on PPs, he wasn't very noticeable. McDonald didn't play very well either, giving up 5 goals. I didn't have a good view for a good chunk of the goals but there was at least one bad one and one that he didn't have a good chance on, but might've overplayed it.

TL;DR: Parsons might be a good player on a bad team and that's why his numbers are what they are in the ECHL.

He's injured right now, out for a few weeks.  Can;t find injury news, but heard it elsewhere.

Kristen OdlandVerified account @Kristen_Odland
FollowFollow @Kristen_Odland
More

Brad Treliving on the Dalton Prout/Eddie Lack deal: "This gave us an opportunity to give Eddie an opportunity elsewhere. David (Rittich) has played well. Jon Gillies is playing well in Stockton. This will open up a spot for Tyler Parsons (at the #AHL level)."

• 11 months later...
On 12/30/2018 at 9:36 AM, cross16 said:

Parsons has battled injury this season but is back and in his last two starts he's stopped 70 of 73 shots for a .958 save %. 

Be nice to get another good story on the goaltending front. 

What's most amazing is, wasn't he 5'-11" when we drafted him?  He's now listed as 6'-1"?

Archived