We are ̶A̶r̶e̶ ̶w̶e̶ a playoff bound team ̶?̶

CheersMan

18 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

That's the big thing.  What will we get in the off-season.  And who will graduate from the AHL.  And if we are able to trade/expose Brouwer, Stajan and/or Bouma. 

Tkachuk is the wild card for me.  He has exploded out of the gates to become a top 6 player on a shutdown line!!  I think it's actually easier to replace his spot on the Backlund/Frolik line with a complementary player and move him to a scoring line.  Would like to see what he could do on the off-wing before I made any major UFA signings, though.  He might be a great fit for Monahan or Bennett.

Option 1

JH-Monahan-Tkachuk

(Klimchuk/Mangiapane)-Backlund-Frolik

Ferland-Bennett-Brouwer

Stajan-Janko-(Chaisson/Lazar)

Option 2

JH-Monahan-Ferland

(Klimchuk/Mangiapane)-Backlund-Frolik

Tkachuk-Bennett-Brouwer

Stajan-Janko-(Chaisson/Lazar)

Option 3

JH-Monahan-UFA

Versteeg-Backlund-Frolik

Tkachuk-Bennett-Ferland

Stajan-Lazar-Brouwer

It is tough to determine next season without knowing who will be here. I know who I would like to see back and gone so here are my reflections.

Gaudreau, Monahan, Ferland

Tkachuk, Bennett, Lazar

Shinkaruk, Backlund, Frolik

Klimchuk, Jankowski, Pribyl

Giordano, Hamilton

Brodie, Stone

Bartkowski, Andersson

Elliott

Rittch

• Replies 605
  • Created
  • Last Reply
42 minutes ago, MAC331 said:

It is tough to determine next season without knowing who will be here. I know who I would like to see back and gone so here are my reflections.

Gaudreau, Monahan, Ferland

Tkachuk, Bennett, Lazar

Shinkaruk, Backlund, Frolik

Klimchuk, Jankowski, Pribyl

Giordano, Hamilton

Brodie, Stone

Bartkowski, Andersson

Elliott

Rittch

Poor Bouma and Stagan lol. Personally I would keep the 3M intact, I'd prefer to see Bennett and Lazar on a 3rd line until they can prove they have some chemistry there. That 4th line tho! There's potential we see Janko there for sure, still up in the air if Klimchuk and Pribyl are up to NHL speed..i'd like to atleast see Klimchuk get a call up for once same with Pribyl if its warranted. Andersson is another intriguing spot..he's good but 1 more year in the AHL won't hurt him. This would be a cost efficient roster tho..we'd have quite of bit of cap room to make adjustments but overall thats a very young group of forwards to consider full time regulars. 

26% of MAC331's suggested roster would be rookies, a few too many for my liking, otherwise I like most of his line-up.

I would not be comfortable with an all rookie 4th line.

That said, I definitely want to see all three of those forwards get decent looks in the NHL next season.

My projections for their high end NHL potentials are:

Klimchuk - 2rd line LW.

Jankowski - 2nd line C.

Pribyl - 2nd line RW.

They may end up playing on lower lines, but IMHO, I doubt they'll play any higher on a regular basis.

My projection for Andersson's top end potential is 2nd pairing RD and first PP.

He could make the Flame's season opening roster in 2017/2018, if Calgary loses Stone to LV in the expansion draft.

If not, I'm fairly confident that he'll make the NHL full-time in 2018/2019.

We might even see a 3rd pairing of Kylington and Andersson that year.

I'm fine with Rittch or Gillies taking the back-up position, IF they show that they're worthy at training camp.

If not, Chad Johnson provides most everything required of a NHL back-up goaltender at a reasonable price.

Back to the main topic of this thread:

YES, the Calgary Flames are a playoff bound team this season.

Whether they finish first in the Pacific Division, or have to settle for the last wildcard spot in the Western Conference, is still up in the air.

If the standings remain as they currently are; in the first round I'd love to see the Flames charbroil the Sharks and have the Oilers smother the Ducks.

THEN, the fun would truly begin.

1 hour ago, robrob74 said:

We need a win tonight as it looks like Edmonton has an almost guaranteed victory against the Avs. We would fall 3 points out and no chance at a division spot. 

I'm hoping the Oilers take the Avs too lightly & get surprised. The players on that lame duck are playing for pride & hope GMs take notice so they can get off that team.

3 hours ago, 420since1974 said:

26% of MAC331's suggested roster would be rookies, a few too many for my liking, otherwise I like most of his line-up.

I would not be comfortable with an all rookie 4th line.

That said, I definitely want to see all three of those forwards get decent looks in the NHL next season.

My projections for their high end NHL potentials are:

Klimchuk - 2rd line LW.

Jankowski - 2nd line C.

Pribyl - 2nd line RW.

They may end up playing on lower lines, but IMHO, I doubt they'll play any higher on a regular basis.

My projection for Andersson's top end potential is 2nd pairing RD and first PP.

He could make the Flame's season opening roster in 2017/2018, if Calgary loses Stone to LV in the expansion draft.

If not, I'm fairly confident that he'll make the NHL full-time in 2018/2019.

We might even see a 3rd pairing of Kylington and Andersson that year.

I'm fine with Rittch or Gillies taking the back-up position, IF they show that they're worthy at training camp.

If not, Chad Johnson provides most everything required of a NHL back-up goaltender at a reasonable price.

Back to the main topic of this thread:

YES, the Calgary Flames are a playoff bound team this season.

Whether they finish first in the Pacific Division, or have to settle for the last wildcard spot in the Western Conference, is still up in the air.

If the standings remain as they currently are; in the first round I'd love to see the Flames charbroil the Sharks and have the Oilers smother the Ducks.

THEN, the fun would truly begin.

I know it seems young but we are starting to gain some experience that will be lost but possibly gaining higher calibre players. I think you also have to take into account age and maturity of those being moved in to replace the aging players. We could also end up with Brouwer, Stajan and Bouma still here and if that were the case I definitely would not bring back Versteeg or Chiasson.

2 hours ago, MAC331 said:

I know it seems young but we are starting to gain some experience that will be lost but possibly gaining higher calibre players. I think you also have to take into account age and maturity of those being moved in to replace the aging players. We could also end up with Brouwer, Stajan and Bouma still here and if that were the case I definitely would not bring back Versteeg or Chiasson.

I don't mind Versteeg on a 3rd line or even Chiasson, I'd prefer them over Bouma..Bouma creates nothing. Flames need another pure pest on this team, Hathaway brought that element last year but they need someone other than Tkachuk that gets under the other teams skin.

1 hour ago, rickross said:

Oilers responded in a big way...now Flames are starting to fall behind. Worst time of the year to start playing mediocre hockey

Responded?  They played a weak Dallas team, a tired Bruins team in a B2B, a tired Kings team in a B2B, and then win a game against the basement team.  Their season ending is the easiest of the Pacific teams.  They play COL again and then B2B against the Nucks to end the season.

The only easy part left for us is LA and SJ after they play EDM the night before.  

31 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

Responded?  They played a weak Dallas team, a tired Bruins team in a B2B, a tired Kings team in a B2B, and then win a game against the basement team.  Their season ending is the easiest of the Pacific teams.  They play COL again and then B2B against the Nucks to end the season.

The only easy part left for us is LA and SJ after they play EDM the night before.  

Edmonton can still actually win the division. They're now only 2 points down and like you say, they have the easiest schedule of all the teams to close out the season. 
Could that hurt them more in the playoffs though? Playing weak teams going in? Or do you think that matters?

3 hours ago, travel_dude said:

Yeah I meant responded by coming back against the Avs by putting up 5 goals in the 3rd. I know their schedule is smooth sailing from here on out. Thats the perfect setup for failure, playing so many non playoff teams to prepare for the playoffs! Our path is the toughest and I'd prefer it that way. Hopefully we string together a nice streak to cap the season and go into these playoffs with supreme confidence. 

If we can play .500 for the last 8 games, that brings us to 94 points. If we go to OT in one of those losses, it brings us to 95. 

LA has 9 games left. They have to win all of them to get to 95 points. 

I hope we don't collapse and lose out the season, which is possible... 

rob²74 - There is no way the Flames miss now.

We are just jockeying for position now. Any opponent is fine with me!

After the Bruins surged back into real contention it looks like they now want to hand it away to the Islanders or Lightning.

I also announce with tears of sadness joy that my 31st favorite team has now officially missed the playoffs.

2016-17%20Playoff%20Projection%202017-03

3 hours ago, Pyromancer said:

rob²74 - There is no way the Flames miss now.

We are just jockeying for position now. Any opponent is fine with me!

After the Bruins surged back into real contention it looks like they now want to hand it away to the Islanders or Lightning.

I also announce with tears of sadness joy that my 31st favorite team has now officially missed the playoffs.

2016-17%20Playoff%20Projection%202017-03

Go Flames Go no more next year talk for this thread. LOL

On ‎2016‎-‎11‎-‎09 at 11:27 PM, CheersMan said:

Are we playoff contenders or pretenders? 

On ‎2016‎-‎11‎-‎09 at 11:48 PM, jjgallow said:

I've always believed the goal should be more than making the playoffs.

I think the question is whether we have a realistic shot at the cup this year, and the answer is no.  Not yet.

On ‎2016‎-‎11‎-‎10 at 0:26 AM, The_People1 said:

Coming into the season, i felt we had a team that would improve on last season's performance but still miss the playoffs.

On ‎2016‎-‎11‎-‎10 at 7:34 AM, AlbertaBoy12 said:

I agree with the people, I never expected us to make the playoffs this year

On ‎2016‎-‎11‎-‎10 at 9:47 AM, cross16 said:

I don't think so and I felt that way before the start as well.

On ‎2016‎-‎11‎-‎10 at 2:56 PM, Kulstad said:

As many others have said, there's plenty to be happy with, but I don't think we're playoff-bound this season.

On ‎2016‎-‎11‎-‎10 at 5:18 PM, ABC923 said:

I would say no we are not a playoff team based on the level of play this year.  

On ‎2016‎-‎11‎-‎11 at 3:37 PM, Aggravator said:

i can only say that Calgary's destiny this year is to the be the Leafs of the West.  That means last place.  Hooray!

Last call for the non believers..........Last Call!

5 hours ago, CheersMan said:

Last call for the non believers..........Last Call!

Not expecting us to make the playoff is not the end of the world. I think this team has improved under GG, and I didnt think at the beginning of the season we looked like a playoff team on paper but things have changed.

57 minutes ago, AlbertaBoy12 said:

Not expecting us to make the playoff is not the end of the world. I think this team has improved under GG, and I didnt think at the beginning of the season we looked like a playoff team on paper but things have changed.

Yes, and a few things came together very recently to catapult us into the playoffs. 

Goaltending didnt look promising for the longest time. Then Johnny and Mony only started to play their way in the last month. Ferland helped it even though they showed signs of coming around. 

And then Stone with Brodie changed how our backend looks big time. 

If if we don't get Stone, where are we in the standings with Wideman in all of that time? 

We could very well not be as far ahead of the Kings if we didn't pick up Stone.

10 hours ago, Kulstad said:

I am more than happy to be wrong on this one, dude.  I hope the Humble Pie is fresh and warm today

9 hours ago, cross16 said:

I think you are always happy to be wrong and eat humble pie when you predict your team won't make the playoffs. 

6 hours ago, AlbertaBoy12 said:

Just razzing you guys, it was a fair question at the time and you gave your opinion.  I think we are all ecstatic with how this team has performed thus far. 

Archived