We are ̶A̶r̶e̶ ̶w̶e̶ a playoff bound team ̶?̶

CheersMan

Flames are in a good spot so i'm not sure they are in panic or need to wake up territory. 7 pts up with 12 to play is a pretty sizable lead, especially when you play LA 3 more times. They fully control their own destiny for the playoffs which is all you want at this time of the year IMO. 

You expect a bit of a let down off a win streak like that so a loss tonight woudln't surprise me. LA is the key game though, can't really afford a 3 game losing streak with an LA loss so if that happens i'll start getting concerned. 

• Replies 605
  • Created
  • Last Reply
35 minutes ago, CheersMan said:

I wonder if D Sutter keeps his job after LA misses the playoffs?

If they canned him, I would sign him as an assistant in a heartbeat.  He is one of the best defensive coaches in the league, IMHO.  Saying that, anything can happen.  I would say that Lombardi is more in peril oflosing his job over a two-time cup winner.

23 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

If they canned him, I would sign him as an assistant in a heartbeat.  He is one of the best defensive coaches in the league, IMHO.  Saying that, anything can happen.  I would say that Lombardi is more in peril oflosing his job over a two-time cup winner.

I believe Lombardi is a 2 time cup winner as well.

No way he ever works as an assistant again. I think he'd retire before he did that. 

wouldn't shock me though if they miss that Sutter "retires". I don't think they will "fire" him but it may be a forced retirement out of respect. I do think most of this is on Lombardi but that team can't score and can't seem to get any consistent scoring out of anyone but Jeff Carter. More than fair to look at the coach when you see the amount of people that struggle to score on that team. 

3 hours ago, Flyerfan52 said:

Yeah but he really messed up the last 2 years.

I wonder how close Jeff Carter is to asking for a trade.

I understand Lombardi has made a few moves that question his character and values (Voynov, Richards), but what hockey moves do you think he made that messed things up in the last two years?

2 hours ago, CheersMan said:

I understand Lombardi has made a few moves that question his character and values (Voynov, Richards), but what hockey moves do you think he made that messed things up in the last two years?

In my opinion, Lombardi should've spent Gaborik's money on D instead.   I honestly wouldn't play Martinez and Muzzin ahead of Giordano, Hamilton, and Brodie.  On most nights, I would even prefer Engellend to those two.  Greene is also aging badly.  After Doughty, there is a big drop off in talent.

Gaborik had one good playoff run with Kopitar and Lombardi got sucked in emotionally.  Signed until 40 years old at $4.88-per.  He is only 35.  Ouch.  That and Dustin Brown plays like he's already 40 and he's also on an expensive contact.  Lombardi was too loyal unlike Chicago who had been more cut throat and "what have you done for me lately".  

Moreover, Chicago has been able to replenish the ranks with gems like Panarin, Saad, Anisimov, Oduya, etc.  And now players like Panik, Hartman, and Schmaltz look like great fits.  Meanwhile, every new Kings player is a downgrade from the player they replace.

7 hours ago, The_People1 said:

In my opinion, Lombardi should've spent Gaborik's money on D instead.   I honestly wouldn't play Martinez and Muzzin ahead of Giordano, Hamilton, and Brodie.  On most nights, I would even prefer Engellend to those two.  Greene is also aging badly.  After Doughty, there is a big drop off in talent.

Gaborik had one good playoff run with Kopitar and Lombardi got sucked in emotionally.  Signed until 40 years old at $4.88-per.  He is only 35.  Ouch.  That and Dustin Brown plays like he's already 40 and he's also on an expensive contact.  Lombardi was too loyal unlike Chicago who had been more cut throat and "what have you done for me lately".  

Moreover, Chicago has been able to replenish the ranks with gems like Panarin, Saad, Anisimov, Oduya, etc.  And now players like Panik, Hartman, and Schmaltz look like great fits.  Meanwhile, every new Kings player is a downgrade from the player they replace.

We've heard BT talk about it.  It's not the $'s that kill teams in a Cap world, its the TERM.

Lombardis screw ups have been the cap for sure. The Brown and Gaborik deals really made no sense to me at the time and now that's 10 mill of your cap tied up in 2 guys not in your top 6 and really hampers their ability to improve their roster as the year basically can never be in a position to add via free agency. 

In Lombardis defence though, Kopitar has 9 goals and Tofolli looks like he won't hit 20. The lack of depth Kings have gets really exposed when your key guys don't score and I think Sutter needs to wear some of that. As we know, his system will stifle offence to a certain extent. 

9 hours ago, Addicted said:

Darn Ducks and the loser point. The race would look a fair bit different if a loss was a loss!

Loser points are keeping TML in the possibilities as well.

I still maintain the shootout & loser point are messing up our game. According to latest standings only 6 teams have less points then wins/loss record should dictate.

2 for a win, 1 each for a tie, no shootout or loser point gives a truer indication of how your team is doing. Hockey fans know this & only the newbies/casual fans think their losing team has a chance @ playoffs due to this reach. In any competition there are winners & losers or a draw. I guess the current mentality where every kid gets the same award whether they win or lose makes that platable.

Why even bother to keep score. Those that don't know much will be happy knowing every team is in the playoffs. Settle the standings with the machine they use for draft order & in the playoffs @ the end of 60 minutes the respective captains use rock/scissors/paper to see who won.

If 2 boxers seem to fight to a draw do they have a punch off where 1 stands there while the other swings @ him & if both are still standing the positions are reversed until 1 is KOed? That would be ridiculous but that's what the shootout is like.

I know much of that is farfetched & even idiotic but that's the way I see the loser point/shootout.

The numbers have been crunched many times over and the loser point very rarely affects anything, and most of the time if it has an effect, it's on who gets the 8th seed. It makes games more satisfying to have a win, but the game was effectively tied. I'd rather have overtime until someone scores, but for the regular season that can take just too damned long.

Lets rank the West on terms of ROW only and see what difference taking out just the loser point does

Pacific

SJS 40

CGY 36

ANA 35

EDM 34

LA 32

VAN 24

ARI 20

Central

CHI 43

MIN 40

STL 37

NSH 33

WPG 29 

DAL28

COL 20

Doesn't seem like much of a difference, but EDM is closer to falling out than not.  And all of a sudden CGY is 2nd in the Pacific. 

The Caps are the 1st team to get an invite to the Spring Dance.

The Wild sure dropped like a rock out of the battle for Central supremacy against the Hawks.

Leafs hanging by a thread. [Mike Babcock: "That's a huge point for us today, an absolutely huge point" ]

2015-16%20Playoff%20Projection%202017-03

Pyro, I just realized that your projected points needed to make the playoffs is off. 88 points is all that's needed to make the playoffs in the west (based on your projections), since the number of points needed is (projected points of 9th placed team + 1), not the projected points of the 8th placed team.

I fully agree with you but....

The chart was intended to represent the projected cut-off point based on point percentages & showing what kind of W-L-OTL was needed to make that cut-off. The calculations also compensated for differences in games played allowing a more informed comparison between teams.

As the end of the season draws nearer, the projections lose some of their validity as the eventual actual cut-off becomes more apparent.

A brief discussion of what the chart represents:

Toronto currently in WC2 in East with 79 pts projecting to a 93 pt WC cut-off.

Florida has 73 pts and we look at that & see it is only a 6 pt separation which should easily be made up over the 11 games left.

But when comparing what record is needed by each team to converge on that cut-off it becomes a lot more apparent that Florida is probably doomed.

To get 93 pts Toronto only needs a modest 7-5-0 finish while to reach the same 93 pts Florida would need to go 10-1-0.

In the West, Nashville in WC2 projects to 94 pts which requires a 6-4-1 record while Los Angeles needs 9-1-1 to achieve same cut-off.

Unless Nashville (or Calgary) goes on a 11 (10) game losing streak I would have to say it is virtually impossible for LA to make the playoffs now.

Anybody see the similarities with the Blackhawks and today's Flames? Specifically when the Hawks was climbing out of their last place finishes starting in 07'-10'.

It all started with good drafting in the later rounds not in the 1st or even the 2nd rounds

1 hour ago, Pucksage said:

Anybody see the similarities with the Blackhawks and today's Flames? Specifically when the Hawks was climbing out of their last place finishes starting in 07'-10'.

It all started with good drafting in the later rounds not in the 1st or even the 2nd rounds

We might be lacking in a few areas, but one major one, to me, is the elite D. Maybe Hamilton gets there? 

1 hour ago, Pucksage said:

I see it...Young serious top centre...young small extremely talented American...Terrific top pair D...Excellent depth and balance...well coached...

Let's just enjoy this run as long as we can because I believe we are definitely a team on the rise!!!

Archived