We are ̶A̶r̶e̶ ̶w̶e̶ a playoff bound team ̶?̶

CheersMan

On 2/27/2017 at 5:31 PM, travel_dude said:

Myself, I would prefer that you win in regulation you get two.  Lose in OT you get nothing.  Remain tied after OT, you each get a point.  AT least it gives incentive for a team needing the two points.   I hate the skills competition.  

I don't mind the skills competition but I don't like it deciding a winner..

• Replies 605
  • Created
  • Last Reply
16 hours ago, Pyromancer said:

From my archives:

bbfa27bb-5793-4f4d-8408-640ddc00a9d2_zps

Canucks fans deserve the derision. Torching their city gave them a black eye and they should own it rather than whine about others who still make reference to it (as if that took place like 40 years ago). Those jerks in the green outfits who make faces at players in the penalty box are so trashy. Calling them trashy is offensive to trash. I don't care that they are at a hockey game. Players are paid for their hard work and effort (unless you are Dennis Wideman), not to take crap from spoiled little dirt bags. I would pay good money to see a player jump the boards and learn 'em a lesson. Slums in Calcutta are cleaner than their message board, even when they win. As much as I have respect for the Sedins' talent and charitable work, it is fun watching them fade with age and refuse to be traded separately because it drives their fans nuts. I almost want the Canucks to go on a winning streak just to get their fan's hopes up, only to be dashed right at the end. Not that I have strong feelings about the matter or anything. B)

Keep up with the archival pics Pyro!

6 minutes ago, Cowtownguy said:

Canucks fans deserve the derision. Torching their city gave them a black eye and they should own it rather than whine about others who still make reference to it (as if that took place like 40 years ago). Those jerks in the green outfits who make faces at players in the penalty box are so trashy. Calling them trashy is offensive to trash. I don't care that they are at a hockey game. Players are paid for their hard work and effort (unless you are Dennis Wideman), not to take crap from spoiled little dirt bags. I would pay good money to see a player jump the boards and learn 'em a lesson. Slums in Calcutta are cleaner than their message board, even when they win. As much as I have respect for the Sedins' talent and charitable work, it is fun watching them fade with age and refuse to be traded separately because it drives their fans nuts. I almost want the Canucks to go on a winning streak just to get their fan's hopes up, only to be dashed right at the end. Not that I have strong feelings about the matter or anything. B)

I Guess im lost what does this have to do with any thing I must have missed something ?

3 hours ago, DirtyDeeds said:

I don't mind the skills competition but I don't like it deciding a winner..

It would be fine as an exhibition during All-Star Weekend but it's just not real hockey. I never bother watching those drills anyway.

**************************************************************************************************************

Speaking of that ASW this is 1 year the league should have cancelled it (or the mandatory 5 day break). Including that World Cup it lead to strange scheduling where some teams seemed to be playing or traveling every day (Jets were 1) & be lots of games ahead of others. Then when they get that 5 days off the others catch up & they don't look as close to contention.

Casual fans just check the # of points & think their team is actually good while diehards look into it further. When some teams have played 5-6 more games then others the stats are FUBAR.

22 minutes ago, Flyerfan52 said:

It would be fine as an exhibition during All-Star Weekend but it's just not real hockey. I never bother watching those drills anyway.

**************************************************************************************************************

Speaking of that ASW this is 1 year the league should have cancelled it (or the mandatory 5 day break). Including that World Cup it lead to strange scheduling where some teams seemed to be playing or traveling every day (Jets were 1) & be lots of games ahead of others. Then when they get that 5 days off the others catch up & they don't look as close to contention.

Casual fans just check the # of points & think their team is actually good while diehards look into it further. When some teams have played 5-6 more games then others the stats are FUBAR.

Havent enjoyed this compressed schedule at all, its felt chaotic at times and clumsy. Oilers are in, Wings are out, Leafs are suddenly relevant... Just doesn't feel like a normal season!

At least the Flames are kickin checking from behind and chewing bubble gum when it counts!

38 minutes ago, Flyerfan52 said:

I think that the penalty shot "competition" was a farce at the ASW the last year they had it.  It was a joke.  No skills at all.  It was a showoff drill. This year was just dumb.  Maybe for the kiddies watching it was fun, but not really anything worth watching.  The 3v3 format was okay the first year, but seemed like a shooting gallery this year.

As far as the PS to decide a game, it stinks.      

I hated the 5 day break this year, added to the ASW break.  It screws up any momentum or losing streak a team goes on.  The majority of the team lost the first game back after the 5 day break.  

17 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

I think that the penalty shot "competition" was a farce at the ASW the last year they had it.  It was a joke.  No skills at all.  It was a showoff drill. This year was just dumb.  Maybe for the kiddies watching it was fun, but not really anything worth watching.  The 3v3 format was okay the first year, but seemed like a shooting gallery this year.

As far as the PS to decide a game, it stinks.      

I hated the 5 day break this year, added to the ASW break.  It screws up any momentum or losing streak a team goes on.  The majority of the team lost the first game back after the 5 day break.  

Teams are adapting, they are learning how to best play the 3v3. I no longer see the need for the SO and would now prefer the 3v3 play on until winner decided.  I would hazard a guess that a game would conclude sooner on average if they just let the 3v3 play on.

38 minutes ago, CheersMan said:

Teams are adapting, they are learning how to best play the 3v3. I no longer see the need for the SO and would now prefer the 3v3 play on until winner decided.  I would hazard a guess that a game would conclude sooner on average if they just let the 3v3 play on.

I would be okay if they increased the time to ten minutes of 3 on 3 if no winner was found after 5 mins it should be plenty of time to find a winner. Either way if no winner is found after 10 mins of 3 on 3 then both teams get a point for the tie. If someone wins in 3 on 3 they get 2 points and there is no loser point. With this maybe we would see some incentive to win hockey games, I would go further by having 3 points for regulation. This would mean 3 points for a regulation win, 2 points for an ot win and 1 point for a tie, no loser points.

11 hours ago, AlbertaBoy12 said:

I would be okay if they increased the time to ten minutes of 3 on 3 if no winner was found after 5 mins it should be plenty of time to find a winner. Either way if no winner is found after 10 mins of 3 on 3 then both teams get a point for the tie. If someone wins in 3 on 3 they get 2 points and there is no loser point. With this maybe we would see some incentive to win hockey games, I would go further by having 3 points for regulation. This would mean 3 points for a regulation win, 2 points for an ot win and 1 point for a tie, no loser points.

I really like this idea to promote winning the game instead of playing for single point.

14 hours ago, AlbertaBoy12 said:

Even if they went 4vs4 OT for ten min with no loser points teams might try to win those games. I would prefer to go wins and losses only. 

2 hours ago, robrob74 said:

Even if they went 4vs4 OT for ten min with no loser points teams might try to win those games. I would prefer to go wins and losses only. 

I agree wins and losses are better, but with 10 mins of OT the odds of it being a tie are pretty slim. I just dont like the loser point, I think its purpose is to make the league look closer then it is. Do we really need that? The NBA and NFL does just fine without faking points.

6 minutes ago, rocketdoctor said:

think I stumbled into the wrong thread.  Thought this was about making the playoffs :P

Making the playoffs is pretty much a foregone conclusion at this point, so instead we are complaining about the points and OT systems.

THN Power Rankings [2017-03-01]

CREAM OF THE CROP

4. Nashville Predators (23)

7. Calgary Flames (19)

10. San Jose Sharks (10)

THE MUSHY MIDDLE

11. Edmonton Oilers (16)
15. Anaheim Ducks (17)
17. Toronto Maple Leafs (10)
20. Los Angeles Kings (18)

VYING FOR THE PARTICIPATION BADGE

21. St. Louis Blues (14)
28. Vancouver Canucks (28)

I'm ecstatic that the Nucks are in line to at least get a participation badge. It is the politically correct thing to do!

As it stands we are a better team with these recent acquisitions, I'd still like to see more consistency from the 1st and 3rd lines and our PP has slowed down the last few games. If the Flames can fix some of those areas and limit the PIMs I think they'll play their way into a playoff spot. We have a very tough schedule to close out the year and I couldn't be happier, there is no better way to gain playoff momentum than to beat the best teams on your way to a berth. 

I never thought the Maple Leafs would ever help us in any way and here they are up 2-0 over the Kings at home. The East better watch out for this team if they make it into the 1st Rd. It's nice seeing the Preds lose and potentially the Kings could fall back 8 pts if we beat the Wings tomorrow. I just hope the Flames haven't peaked at the wrong time. 

1 hour ago, Pyromancer said:

2016-17%20Playoff%20Projection%202017-03

Losing the season series to Edmonton sure put us further behind them. Imagine if we at least won one game. We would be tied right now with them having a game in hand. 

While if we win two, the best they do is tie us. 

These head to to head matchups are important, and we will see that as the season unfolds playing some of our division rivals like LA and Anaheim. 

The thing with those two, we could still catch the Ducks, and if we beat the Kings out, we could kick them out of the Playoffs. 

Keep eps up the good work!! 

16 minutes ago, MAC331 said:

First off Elliott says a lot of things so he comes off looking important so rumors are rumors. Just my thoughts but with the higher talented players we have obtained lately BT is going to have to be careful with where he puts the money. Bishop scares me as an injury case. I would rather get someone like Mrazek who you may be able to give a 3 year extension to at 4.5M. If Elliott shows well down the stretch I would look for BT to make him an offer for 2 years at 3.5M. I like that our options are open going into the offseason.

2 hours ago, MAC331 said:

If last night didn't show you good goalies are good goalies. The battle between Elliott and Mzarek displayed both goalies abilities when playing well. There is only ever a few goalies heads and shoulders above the rest like Price, Lundquist and Holtby. Mzarek as an option takes you to a younger and if resigned better situation, whether he evolves as a true elite goaltender remains to be scene. If the plan is to progress the goalies in our pipeline I would bring Elliott back.

20 hours ago, MAC331 said:

I wouldn't have any problem signing back both Elliott and Johnson on 2 year deals but any increase in salary will depend on where either of them takes us this year. I would like to see BT target Mrazek from DET if he is available.

If you were Ken Holland, would you trade Mrazek, leaving yourself with a 33 yr old Howard?

Archived