We are ̶A̶r̶e̶ ̶w̶e̶ a playoff bound team ̶?̶

CheersMan

24 minutes ago, JTech780 said:

Wotherspoon has had lots of chances, but he can't crack our terrible bottom 3, that isn't a good sign for his NHL future.

He hasn't been a priority I will give you that but none of these 3 are terrible, not to mention if you want them to gain NHL experience you have to play them. If Wotherspoon is down on our depth chart maybe he would be higher up on theirs, that would be up to ARZ to decide.

• Replies 605
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, cross16 said:

Schenn isn't a top 4 dman so i agree if you are acquring him to play with Brodie you will be very dissapointed and likely not make the D core any better. Schenn is a good physical dman who is very sound in his own zone but really struggles moving the puck effectively and that's not a good match in a top 4 blueline. 

problem with tring to acquire him as a bottom pairing dman is you shouldn't give up much in trade to get a bottom pairing dman and why would Arizone deal him for next to nothing? Their D core is pretty bad as it is, so i don't see them moving him unless you give them some value and that doesn't make sense for the Flames. 

Value is in the eye of the beholder, maybe ARZ doesn't mind taking on some of our fringe prospects. I could live with Schenn for a few months with Brodie or in the bottom pairing if they want to play Engelland up. I just don't think we will see much of an upgrade at the TDL for that 4th defenseman spot.

1 hour ago, cross16 said:

Schenn isn't a top 4 dman so i agree if you are acquring him to play with Brodie you will be very dissapointed and likely not make the D core any better. Schenn is a good physical dman who is very sound in his own zone but really struggles moving the puck effectively and that's not a good match in a top 4 blueline. 

The bolded is where he is an upgrade on Wideman.  Brodie/Wideman amount to a mixed bad of results in our end.  Maybe Schenn suffers from the same inability to clar the puck as Wideman, but from my limited viewing he appears to be fine.  Anything is preferable than watching Wideman regularly cough up the puck or fail to cover a player.

2 hours ago, JTech780 said:

If we were to acquire Schenn I don't think he would be a good fit with Brodie. I think moving Engelland up to play with Brodie and have Schenn play with Kulak makes more sense. Schenn is an upgrade over Wideman, but not over Engelland.

Engelland has had a fine season.  He regularly plays PK minutes.  He's playing above the typical 3rd pairing minutes a lot of games.  Leaning on him to play 2nd pair minutes is not a great strategy for getting better.  He doesn't make Brodie any better.  He had that gig 2 years ago, and the results were not great.

Here is the chart after the Flames sabbatical with most team's games-in-hand used up.

Still strongly in the race but we must be better than Los Angeles or Nashville/St Louis in the stretch.

Also, Edmonton is still a low-hanging fruit.....

We also have our 1st team in the East showing pink - Detroit's 25 Yr run is over barring a miracle.

Minor change to the chart - replaced Shootout Record with Streaks.

2016-17%20Playoff%20Projection%202017-02

7 hours ago, JTech780 said:

Say what you want about this team and the coaching, but you can't tell me that they aren't in a better spot Thelma last year.

I agree, we are fans and want the best for our team. But I do prefer to be in a hunt. The games are more interesting. I also think the, "play the farm and give them experience" thing is overrated. How many have actually pushed after. I like them with NHL experience and teaching professionalism, but I think it is still false hope. It's not a real big league experience becausrvyhe games are meaningless. 

If our scouts continue to do well, leave that part of the game to them. Keep trying. 

Looks like LA is starting to pull the shoot. They have lost 7 of their last 9 games. Budaj looks like maybe he is hitting a wall giving up 20 goals in his last 6 games.

Big game for us on Tuesday against Nashville who did win tonight, they are 2 points ahead of us for that 2nd wild card spot.

We also now have the edge on LA as far Points% goes.

I think the Flames can make the playoffs but they'll be pretenders through and through. This team needs more offence and a more rounded D corps. We might only have 2 20+ goal scorers this year and with Backs as our top scorerer with 39 pts, there isn't enough production to keep them competitive. As much as it would be great to have playoff success, I'm not sure a middling to late pick would do much for a rebuilding franchise right now. Plus the inconsistency at the goalie position hasn't helped. Pretenders all day!

7 minutes ago, rickross said:

I think the Flames can make the playoffs but they'll be pretenders through and through. This team needs more offence and a more rounded D corps. We might only have 2 20+ goal scorers this year and with Backs as our top scorerer with 39 pts, there isn't enough production to keep them competitive. As much as it would be great to have playoff success, I'm not sure a middling to late pick would do much for a rebuilding franchise right now. Plus the inconsistency at the goalie position hasn't helped. Pretenders all day!

if our top guys ie gaudreau, mony, bennett could find some consistency we would be much better in terms of offence, they will be fine though. Our #1 need in my opinion is finding a running mate for brodie going into next season, this team will take the next step if we solidify our top 4 and find a goalie that can give us league average goaltending consistently. I dont think johnny or mony need a top flight RW at 6 million per year to find success, they need a guy like parenteau to just ride shotgun and put in goals. Bennett getting tkachuk on his wing would help our top 9 and im super excited about next year, GG is going to do good things with this team.

^^^^^^

In some ways, I would be happy with either of those teams in the 1st round.  Let the Oilers face the #2 or #3 team in round one.  Anaheim has always had our number, playoffs or regular season.  I do believe that SJS would beat us in a 7 game series, but not convinced that Minny would.  Either way, we have a shot.

Minny would be the preferred opponent in that scenario, it's been hard to trust the Flames this season. I don't even think we'd beat the Oilers in 7 games right now, and that's a tough thing to admit. Maybe something magical happens by the TDL and the Flames go on a tear the last 20 games. I'm still of the believe we need more creative players on this team. The Flames have looked too predictable offensively of late, shots are getting easily blocked from the point, JH's passes are being picked off easily cuz he's forcing plays.If it wasn't for the success of the PP I can't imagine where this team would be in the standings

http://www.flamesfrom80feet.ca/2017/02/lets-make-deal-what-fate-lies-behind.html?m=1

Great blog from Darren Haynes. He breaks down the remaining schedules for Calgary, Nashville and LA. 

We really hold the key to our playoff destiny as we have 4 games remaining against LA, 3 of those are at home and 2 games left against Nashville. We only have 1 back to back left where as Nashville has 3 left and LA has 5.

This last quarter of the season should be very exciting.

16 minutes ago, JTech780 said:

http://www.flamesfrom80feet.ca/2017/02/lets-make-deal-what-fate-lies-behind.html?m=1

Great blog from Darren Haynes. He breaks down the remaining schedules for Calgary, Nashville and LA. 

We really hold the key to our playoff destiny as we have 4 games remaining against LA, 3 of those are at home and 2 games left against Nashville. We only have 1 back to back left where as Nashville has 3 left and LA has 5.

This last quarter of the season should be very exciting.

LA is our biggest worry in the remaining games.  The 4 point swing games are killer.  Bettman points make it even weirder.  

I do like our chances.  LA is never out of it, but they have been trending down again.  NASH is up and down.  We need to beat NASH in regulation.  

17 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

LA is our biggest worry in the remaining games.  The 4 point swing games are killer.  Bettman points make it even weirder.  

I do like our chances.  LA is never out of it, but they have been trending down again.  NASH is up and down.  We need to beat NASH in regulation.  

I would feel much more comfortable getting that 1st wild card spot. I also think we can beat Minnesota, because, well...Boudreau. He's a great regular season coach but hasn't done anything in the playoffs.

4 minutes ago, JTech780 said:

I would feel much more comfortable getting that 1st wild card spot. I also think we can beat Minnesota, because, well...Boudreau. He's a great regular season coach but hasn't done anything in the playoffs.

I really want to put some distance on teams like LA and such.  However, if we get the 1st wild card, we likely get SJS, which is not my preference.

4 hours ago, travel_dude said:

I really want to put some distance on teams like LA and such.  However, if we get the 1st wild card, we likely get SJS, which is not my preference.

Given that I am a die hard sharks and flames fan, that is a scenario I'd like very much to avoid...until the conference finals that is.

From a Flames perspective I find it encouraging that LA is struggling. They are showing signs of the LA the last time the Flame made the playoffs wehre they just burnt out down the stretch and couldn't win key games. They've had chances to win what looked to be easy games and they havn't shown up well for them. 

That being said, they are also suppose to be getting Quick back in the near future so Flames would be doing themselves a favor if they could put a little distance on LA, or at the very least take away those games in hand so that if they beat LA, they likely would get in. 

17 minutes ago, cross16 said:

From a Flames perspective I find it encouraging that LA is struggling. They are showing signs of the LA the last time the Flame made the playoffs wehre they just burnt out down the stretch and couldn't win key games. They've had chances to win what looked to be easy games and they havn't shown up well for them. 

That being said, they are also suppose to be getting Quick back in the near future so Flames would be doing themselves a favor if they could put a little distance on LA, or at the very least take away those games in hand so that if they beat LA, they likely would get in. 

Quick is expected in mid-March.  We have at least one game against them before he returns.  Need to make hay right now.

Extremely important 4-pt game. A CGY W combined with a LAK L later will help our playoff aspirations.

Welcome Michael Stone.

If Wideman sits, does it remove the "Wideman Effect" with respect to PIM's??

Here is the current scenario prior to tonight's game...

2016-17%20Playoff%20Projection%202017-02

15 minutes ago, stubblejumper1 said:

Sorry, but I have to kick them when they are down.  Tonight shows they aren't ready for the playoffs.  

Umm what? This game tonight has been a tightly contested playoff game, a few mental errors doesn't mean they aren't playoff ready.  

What's with everyone using certain situations to justify their opinions of this team or coaching staff.

11 hours ago, AlbertaBoy12 said:

Umm what? This game tonight has been a tightly contested playoff game, a few mental errors doesn't mean they aren't playoff ready.  

What's with everyone using certain situations to justify their opinions of this team or coaching staff.

This is just the way some people are when it comes to winning. They ignore the fact there is another good team on the other side or a goalie has a stand out game against. I will say we do need to continue to work on our 5 on 5 defense and offense in order to become better and playoff ready.

Archived