Flames sign Linden Vey

s4xon

http://flames.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=888691&navid=DL|CGY|home

GettyImages-513256332644.jpg

One year, Two-way deal.  Most likely starts in Stockton.

With all of the upset he had to deal with in his family while playing a pro game, I hope he bounces back and becomes a serviceable bottom 9 guy.  Best of luck to him.

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/flames-sign-linden-vey-one-year-two-way-contract/

The Calgary Flames signed forward Linden Vey to a one-year, two-way contact Tuesday, the team announced.

Vey, 24, was an RFA before his former team, the Vancouver Canucks, did not tender him a qualifying offer.

The forward played 41 games for the Canucks in 2015-16, scoring 15 points. He also played 26 games for the AHL’s Utica Comets.

Vey’s family was in the news this June when his father was found guilty in a murder-conspiracy case.

The Saskatchewan native was drafted by the Los Angeles Kings in the fourth round of the 2009 NHL entry draft.

Love. 

Thoughts?  Discuss.

Like Chiasson and Pribyl this is a low risk move to address the lack of RH shots in the system. Whether these guys play in the NHL, AHL, ECHL, or ride the bench for a season we haven't lost anything. Hopefully at least one of these guys turns into a quality player.

Looks to be a Josh Jooris replacement even though the Flames say lines of communication are still very much open with the JJ camp.  Vey (RHS) is a year younger than JJ, plus Vey has a more accomplished resume.  Vey is getting a fresh start and I hope he does well.  JJ was probably unwilling to accept a 2-way deal, whereas Vey was appreciative of it.  I wish JJ the best but this give the Flames more options.

Looks to be a Josh Jooris replacement even though the Flames say lines of communication are still very much open with the JJ camp.  Vey (RHS) is a year younger than JJ, plus Vey has a more accomplished resume.  Vey is getting a fresh start and I hope he does well.  JJ was probably unwilling to accept a 2-way deal, whereas Vey was appreciative of it.  I wish JJ the best but this give the Flames more options.

I doubt the 2-way deal really means much other than dollars.  You still have to waive Jooris to send him down.  Maybe the deal isn't there to be made, but I doubt they see Vey (project) as the replacement for a known quantity.  With Vey and Jooris, you have RHS options to dress at center, while the other would be a healthy scratch.  If Vey can't stick, he could also be sent down with little chance of being claimed.

Jooris will get signed around the same time as Johnny and Monahan, if there is room then, or after a cap-clearing trade.

I think the Flames will load up on as many of these RH forwards as they can.

Look at our forward system depth:

LW: Tkachuk, Mangiapane, Shinkaruk, Klimchuk, Karnaukhov, Carroll

C: Jankowski (L), Dube (L), Pollock (L), Lindstrom (L), Hamilton ®, Mattson (L), Phillips ®

RW: Poirier (L), Pribyl, Smith, Tuulola, Hathaway, Harrison

The Flames have added young guys with RH shots like Jooris, Pribyl, Hamilton, Chiasson, Vey, etc because we haven't drafted them. Our only two drafted RH forward of note is Smith.

^^^

To bad he isn't bigger, tougher & meaner. Then it could be "Out of my Vey!". ;)

Vey we, Vey we funny.

Great signing.  A talented, lost sole with a Lot of upside and the ability to fill a role we need, at the very least.

I see no reason why he's not on the starting roster.

Vey we, Vey we funny.

Great signing.  A talented, lost sole with a Lot of upside and the ability to fill a role we need, at the very least.

I agree with your assessment generally. At the same time, however, I think that he should be on a relatively short string. I love a good Cinderella story as much as the next guy, but it seems to me that few players who get off track early on turn it around. 

Vey we, Vey we funny.

In Stockton.

I view it as a depth signing.

I can see Hathaway earning the 4th RW spot.

• 1 month later...

Linden Vey's dad, sentenced to 3 years in prison for plotting to kill wife...

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/saskatoon/saskatchewan-nicholson-vey-murder-1.3745746

Curtis and Brigitte Vey are the parents of NHL player Linden Vey, who currently plays for the Calgary Flames.

In her victim impact statement, Brigitte read a letter in court explaining how her family has been traumatized.

"The horror I experienced listening to that tape," Brigitte said. "You forced your children to go against their father and protect their mother."

Traumatized.  That's a really tough one.  All the best to Linden Vey.

• 7 months later...

So Vey is second in Heat scoring this year, putting up 48 points in 56 games, leads the team in assists at 33.  He's put together a pretty nice season.  That said, he has been a solid contributor at the AHL for several seasons.  Does he still have NHL upside?  Anyone interested in giving him another shot next season?

3 minutes ago, ABC923 said:

So Vey is second in Heat scoring this year, putting up 48 points in 56 games, leads the team in assists at 33.  He's put together a pretty nice season.  That said, he has been a solid contributor at the AHL for several seasons.  Does he still have NHL upside?  Anyone interested in giving him another shot next season?

Rather see Janko fill the spot to be honest

30 minutes ago, ABC923 said:

No I don't think there is any NHL upside. That being said I also don't mind keeping him. Nice to have depth and i like that he can play both C/RW and its always nice to have a couple veterans in the A. They don't really need to make room for forwards on the Heat next year. 

23 hours ago, cross16 said:

No I don't think there is any NHL upside. That being said I also don't mind keeping him. Nice to have depth and i like that he can play both C/RW and its always nice to have a couple veterans in the A. They don't really need to make room for forwards on the Heat next year. 

Couldn't have said it better...   Vey's skillset in the A has failed to transfer to the NHL far too many times to the point where he was often a liability rather than an asset......

Archived