Glen Gulutzan-16th Flames Coach

phoenix66

1 hour ago, redfire11 said:

I still think GG's system of possession, waiting for the opponent to make a mistake, soft play, etc!!! would work well with a larger ice surface. I think he could get a job next year working with our Canadian Women's Olympic Hockey Team.

Kenya is aiming towards having a men's team for the 2022 Olympics in Beijing...   That team should be bad enough that Gully couldn't screw it up any worse, and far enough from here that he couldn't do any more damage to the Flames...,

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 hours ago, travel_dude said:

https://www.sportsnet.ca/960/the-big-show/brad-treliving-things-didnt-go-way-cant-blame-injuries/

The BT interview if you care to listen to it.  No substance to it, other than saying we don;t know and have to look into it.

Deeds does a good synopsis of the 32 minute radio spot.

No Deeds, I don't want to mark your words.  I will hate you if you are right.  :) 

Ha! That is the way that I looked at it. I figured, he is just saying things like we are rational and very methodical in our approach if we decide to fire GG. 

One thing that has angered me throughout the season was how Brouwer was utilized. It seems to me that he was partly responsible for our terrible Brouwerplay all year. Given GG's position in the club, was it possible for him to give Brouwer a tertiary role on the ice? Put another way, did he have to play Brouwer a lot given the price tag and how less ice time might reflect on Treliving? Big name coaches can push back against the GM. Newbies like GG cannot. So, is GG responsible for the suckage that is Brouwer?

1 hour ago, The_People1 said:

Brilliant and well done.  

Yes I blame GG for Brouwer on the PP but I think more blames goes to BT in this case for putting together a team void of good RHS forwards.  Brouwer was actually our best option a times.

Lack of good RHS is a concern, but forwards don't have to be a RHS to play well on a PP.    

JH should not be on LW or point.  

If we use a RHS, he should be on RD for a one-timer, either from the point or down low (Laine, Ovi).

Watching Gio pass to JH, back to Gio, over to Hammy gets old really quick.  Gio rarely takes one-timers and the pass over to Hammy is predictable.

3 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

Lack of good RHS is a concern, but forwards don't have to be a RHS to play well on a PP.    

JH should not be on LW or point.  

If we use a RHS, he should be on RD for a one-timer, either from the point or down low (Laine, Ovi).

Watching Gio pass to JH, back to Gio, over to Hammy gets old really quick.  Gio rarely takes one-timers and the pass over to Hammy is predictable.

The Twins don't shoot right and they play in the right side of the zone on their PP. 

I thought that Giordano and Hamilton should have switched sides a few times for the one-timer from the point when they played the PP.  I get what you're saying though. But I think Hamilton needs to be on the PP. Maybe a different D on the PP? 

1 hour ago, robrob74 said:

The Twins don't shoot right and they play in the right side of the zone on their PP. 

I thought that Giordano and Hamilton should have switched sides a few times for the one-timer from the point when they played the PP.  I get what you're saying though. But I think Hamilton needs to be on the PP. Maybe a different D on the PP? 

Think back to the setup with Wideman (RD) and JH playing RW on the PP.  JH would feed the Widedog every night, and he would actually score.

But Wideman had a hard shot before he started running into refs.  That short pass from the right half boards allowed a quick release.

Playing Dougie on RD might work better if JH was on that side too, but Dougie takes less slappers.

Nothing aganst Gio, but he maybe doesn;t belong on the PP point.  His shot is too predictable.  Blocked 90% of the time (exaggeration).

NO point in suggesting change here though.  The PP coach has no concept of how to set up plays.  Change players, same result.  Add a D-man, same result.  For some reason, Ferland got yanked off the top unit.  A LHS on the RW.  Novel concept.  When they played Janko, IIRC they played him on the RD spot with Brodie on the other side.  That setup didn;t last.

The most frequent player on the top unit, other that JH and Monahan was Brouwer.  A 4th liner most nights in execution and scoring, yet he was played on the top unit.  Never mind that he couldn;t score a goal to save his skin.

Ferland - 6 PPG

JH - 3 PPG

Monahan - 9 PPG

Tkachuk - 10 PPG

Dougie - 6 PPG

Backlund -3 PPG

Janko - 2 PPG

Brouwer - 0 PPG

1 hour ago, phoenix66 said:

Was just thinking , how ironic would it be if they Fired GG and hired Lindy Ruff?..and replaced Cameron with Paul McLean ..

...and see Tortorella be replaced by Vigneault for a third time if Columbus tanks in the playoffs this year.

2 hours ago, rickross said:

I actually wouldnt be against Vigneault being a top HC candidate for the Flames. He's familiar with both conferences now and has had success with young and veteran teams. Probably not my 1st choice but he should atleast be considered by Burke and BT

I'll admit to maybe not having all the insight I'd need, but my first instinct is we are not a good fit for AV,  his best results have come with Veteran laden teams , and he seems to falter when it comes to developing kids.. but when Babcock went to Toronto a lot of people said the same about him too

off the top of my head, id say my pre rankings are :

Barry Trotz/ Todd Reirden  (which ever one isnt the head coach when the season is over)

Lindy Ruff

AV

Bill Peters (if available )

That being said, my gut is starting to tell me more and more that GG will stay .. i just keep going back to when he was hired and BT saying " a coach to grow with the team".. and his latest comments stating "he's a good coach " and how hes "not a big believer in spitting coaches out on a regular basis "

I believe he should take the fall for this , but I sense BT wont go that way..

If that's true, under no circumstances should Cameron stay and a new Ac should be hired who has a history of directing good powerplays (eg: Paul Maclean )

BT also needs to address the personnel, he cant avoid the RW this time 

33 minutes ago, phoenix66 said:

I'll admit to maybe not having all the insight I'd need, but my first instinct is we are not a good fit for AV,  his best results have come with Veteran laden teams , and he seems to falter when it comes to developing kids.. but when Babcock went to Toronto a lot of people said the same about him too

off the top of my head, id say my pre rankings are :

Barry Trotz/ Todd Reirden  (which ever one isnt the head coach when the season is over)

Lindy Ruff

AV

Bill Peters (if available )

That being said, my gut is starting to tell me more and more that GG will stay .. i just keep going back to when he was hired and BT saying " a coach to grow with the team".. and his latest comments stating "he's a good coach " and how hes "not a big believer in spitting coaches out on a regular basis "

If that's true, under no circumstances should Cameron stay and a new Ac should be hired who has a history of directing good powerplays (eg: Paul Maclean )

BT also needs to address the personnel, he cant avoid the RW this time 

We could see a roll of the dice with both GG and BT getting next season to prove out their direction for the team. Success they stay, failure they both go.

I could definitely see Cameron being somewhat of the fall guy if the decision is to stay with GG.

8 hours ago, phoenix66 said:

He's not a douche like Chia, who blames the entire thing on the coaches and players who they had expectations for.

You are basically trying not to ruin the guy's career by saying he's a bad coach or couldn't get results from a star lineup.

If and when BT 'relieves" him of the coachin duties, it will be "we want to move in a different direction" and "our next coach needs to pick his assistants".

9 hours ago, travel_dude said:

He's not a douche like Chia, who blames the entire thing on the coaches and players who they had expectations for.

You are basically trying not to ruin the guy's career by saying he's a bad coach or couldn't get results from a star lineup.

If and when BT 'relieves" him of the coachin duties, it will be "we want to move in a different direction" and "our next coach needs to pick his assistants".

What direction would that be when BB and BT set the direction ? Oddly I just read an article about our friends up North and how the team is continuously haunted by interference by the owner and use of past glory players. The wheel of constant change because teams after the SC years have never measured up. An organization will never have consistency if in a constant state of change. When it comes right down to it hockey is not a hard game to play and systems are not complicated so IMO it comes down to having the right group of players. The right blend,the right chemistry, call it what you will but they have to adopt an attitude of playing for each other in order to have a winning culture.

9 hours ago, travel_dude said:

totally agree , he isnt going to trash him no matter what , but I recall with BH he didnt say one way or the other, just " we are evaluating things from top to bottom " and then the announcement came later .. this(his response about GG) is about as close as vote of confidence as you will get from BT

speaking of Edm , I'd also be all over Todd M if they cut him loose.. if he takes the fall up there . Tale of 2 cities , Calgary has a depth of talent that underperformed and regardless if they take the fall or not the coaching staff needs to do a better job . Edmonton the roster is a complete tire fire and a good coach had very little to work with past the top couple of players .

18 minutes ago, phoenix66 said:

totally agree , he isnt going to trash him no matter what , but I recall with BH he didnt say one way or the other, just " we are evaluating things from top to bottom " and then the announcement came later .. this(his response about GG) is about as close as vote of confidence as you will get from BT

speaking of Edm , I'd also be all over Todd M if they cut him loose.. if he takes the fall up there . Tale of 2 cities , Calgary has a depth of talent that underperformed and regardless if they take the fall or not the coaching staff needs to do a better job . Edmonton the roster is a complete tire fire and a good coach had very little to work with past the top couple of players .

I hope they stay a mess in EDM. Chia did a terrible job in BOS and is now doing the same there. Keep up the good work I say LOL

6 minutes ago, MAC331 said:

I hope they stay a mess in EDM. Chia did a terrible job in BOS and is now doing the same there. Keep up the good work I say LOL

oh for sure.. if only for that reason alone I really hope they do fire Todd...  I'll make a bold prediction , they'll fire Todd and hire an ex-oiler like Paul Coffey 

oh for sure.. if only for that reason alone I really hope they do fire Todd...  I'll make a bold prediction , they'll fire Todd and hire an ex-oiler like Paul Coffey 

No I don't think Coffey has any interest in doing that job. In the article he barely showed up for what he was asked to help with there. LOL

I see coaching in Canada something like the Jays trying to attract Free Agents in baseball. The American teams will always pay more or you have a team like TOR that will over pay to have a premier coach like Babcock.

Sounds like the Oilers want Chia to continue next season.  Given a vote of confidence by Bob Nicholson.

Great news....

For the rest of the league.

3 hours ago, phoenix66 said:

We'll see i guess, but FWIW Treliving called Hartly a good coach in his 16 presser and even mentioned how goaltending, his problem, held Bob back. Most walked out of that press conference thinking Hartley had a vote of confidence too. Hard to read much into a Tre press conference. 

I like Todd M myself, personal favorite, but if he is let go by Edm I struggle to see the fit here. I would be very concerned about setting him up for failure because the story would be Flames hire Failed Oiler coach. He'd get shredded at the first sign of struggles and I think that is just setting up him for failure. 

42 minutes ago, cross16 said:

I like Todd M myself, personal favorite, but if he is let go by Edm I struggle to see the fit here. I would be very concerned about setting him up for failure because the story would be Flames hire Failed Oiler coach. He'd get shredded at the first sign of struggles and I think that is just setting up him for failure. 

Right now the story is that the Flames hired failed a Stars coach...   Though I suppose it could also be that they hired a mediocre assistant coach from the struggling Nucks...

10 minutes ago, Carty said:

Right now the story is that the Flames hired failed a Stars coach...   Though I suppose it could also be that they hired a mediocre assistant coach from the struggling Nucks...

Ya but in 2005 the Nucks hired "failed" Habs coach Alain Vignault. Claude Julien had "failed" in multiple locations before the Bruins hired him, won a cup. The Penguins hired "failed" Bruins coach Mike Sullivan.... "Failed" is a very relative term in the coaching world. 

But my point was obviously when its Flames-Oilers it's different and the story changes. I think that is an insane amount of pressure to put on a coach. 

27 minutes ago, cross16 said:

Ya but in 2005 the Nucks hired "failed" Habs coach Alain Vignault. Claude Julien had "failed" in multiple locations before the Bruins hired him, won a cup. The Penguins hired "failed" Bruins coach Mike Sullivan.... "Failed" is a very relative term in the coaching world. 

But my point was obviously when its Flames-Oilers it's different and the story changes. I think that is an insane amount of pressure to put on a coach. 

The other thing to consider is that the Oiler fans were critical of some of the exact same things as Flames fans:

• miserable PP at home (Woodcroft)
  • bizarre player usage, reliance on players that have bad numbers (corsi, p/60, etc)
  • playing vets over prospects when games don't matter

1 hour ago, cross16 said:

"Failed" is a very relative term in the coaching world. 

The term 'failed coach' can easily be applied to Gulutzan on a number of levels...   and there are just too many failures as a coach to ignore...

If he had shown an ability to learn and then adapt his strategies it might be different, but he didn't, and that is perhaps his biggest failure...   He has not shown the fans, and more importantly the players on the team enough reasons to believe that he will improve as a coach...   and when the lack of faith in a coach that keeps repeating the same mistakes grows, it can only be a detrimental factor regarding the attitude of the players...

The Flames can do better for a choice of coaching staff, and that should be the next move...   Clean house and start fresh rather that take the high risk of repeating the let downs of this season...   Then use the summer to try and get rid of some dead wood and plug some gaping holes in the roster...   If Treliving does not do that and next season plays out like this one, he could (should) be on the chopping block next...

Archived