Glen Gulutzan-16th Flames Coach

phoenix66

He is unable to think and move fast enough to make a solid first pass out of the zone. I think that is why he has a tendency to ice the puck, and then hesitate, only to hand it over to the opposition. I initially thought that the feel good story about him was written by Carty. I almost feel bad about that thought.

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
39 minutes ago, Cowtownguy said:

He is unable to think and move fast enough to make a solid first pass out of the zone. I think that is why he has a tendency to ice the puck, and then hesitate, only to hand it over to the opposition. I initially thought that the feel good story about him was written by Carty. I almost feel bad about that thought.

Thought it was another April fools article eh?...   :lol:

From the sounds of it, Bart is a pretty decent guy, but he just makes far too many errors with the puck at this level...   His contract is up (UFA), and I don't see the Flames renewing it (I hope they don't)...   It's probably just a 'warm fuzzy' article before Bart is off to try and get another shot elsewhere...

15 minutes ago, JTech780 said:

Cross one name off the head coaching search list.

Interesting. I'm actually a little surprised only because the buzz seemed to be building that Q wanted to move on. Firing him never made sense, but there has been a lot of suggestions made that Q and Bowman don't see eye to eye. 

Interesting also from a domino effect. One of the beliefs was that if Q was available teams that were on the fence with their coaches (see AV in Ny or maybe Todd M in Edm) would make a move to get Q. Now that he isn't on there there really isn't THAT guy available and some teams may hold on. 

1 hour ago, cross16 said:

Interesting. I'm actually a little surprised only because the buzz seemed to be building that Q wanted to move on. Firing him never made sense, but there has been a lot of suggestions made that Q and Bowman don't see eye to eye. 

Interesting also from a domino effect. One of the beliefs was that if Q was available teams that were on the fence with their coaches (see AV in Ny or maybe Todd M in Edm) would make a move to get Q. Now that he isn't on there there really isn't THAT guy available and some teams may hold on. 

Hopefully not this team

On 02/04/2018 at 4:10 PM, Cowtownguy said:

Sounds like the same issues that Kyl Has skates like the wind but makes some very silly plays . So we have one of those already don't need another 1.

On 2018-04-05 at 11:37 AM, zima said:

Sounds like the same issues that Kyl Has skates like the wind but makes some very silly plays . So we have one of those already don't need another 1.

I’m thinking Kylington has improved, we’ll see.  Agree Bartkowski should go.

15 minutes ago, JTech780 said:

AV is a very good coach, probably not the right coach for us, as I have heard that he isn't great with younger players, but he is the first domino to fall. Should be interesting to see where all the coaches end up.

I would have zero issue with AV being hired here. The same thing was said about Hartley not liking young players and the young guys flourished under him 

20 minutes ago, JTech780 said:

AV is a very good coach, probably not the right coach for us, as I have heard that he isn't great with younger players, but he is the first domino to fall. Should be interesting to see where all the coaches end up.

He has creative systems and runs a top notch PP.

20 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

He might actually be able to get this group on track.

We should have had a top notch PP, considering some of the players we had out there.

NYR was 226-147-37 in the regular season under Vigneault

The Rangers made the playoffs in four of Vigneault's five seasons as coach, including a 2014 trip to the Stanley Cup Final

Av is going to command top dollar so we'll see if the owners are willing to pony up. History says no but I guess we will see. 

I personally think he is overrated so I'm not too broken up if they don't get him. I think his career rests more on the two hall of fame goalies he was given instead of his coaching ability. His use of young players and over playing his veterans in the wrong roles would be shades of Gulutzan and Brouwer. 

3 hours ago, cross16 said:

Av is going to command top dollar so we'll see if the owners are willing to pony up. History says no but I guess we will see. 

I personally think he is overrated so I'm not too broken up if they don't get him. I think his career rests more on the two hall of fame goalies he was given instead of his coaching ability. His use of young players and over playing his veterans in the wrong roles would be shades of Gulutzan and Brouwer. 

Well you sure as heck aren't going to give the new coach the veteran scraps we had this season.  Subtract Brouwer, Versteeg, Stewart, Stajan, Stone, Bart, and Glass.  None of those players had any positive impact on this team.  Versteeg was alright on the PP early on, considering the minutes, but the rest of them didn't do enough. You probably could have replaced every single one of them with a farm hand and had better results over a season.  

Whether it's AV or some other coach, they need to come in and create the identity, not ask what it is.  You build the team and make changes to fit.  Hiring a coach with an idea of how to do that and a vision that makes sense for the best players you do have is needed.

When I look at who was providing offense, it seldom included anyone from the list above.  $4.5m for a player that can;t score, doesn't block shots, won't step up for a teammate, and whose leadership never seems to show.  Plenty of guys in FA that can provide that little for less. 

5 hours ago, cross16 said:

He's not a good coach for a rebuild but if we think we already have the peices, then he's the right guy.  

6 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

He's not a good coach for a rebuild but if we think we already have the peices, then he's the right guy.  

I think the biggest variable there is how do you view the flames goaltending. For me, His defensive structure is a mini disaster so if the flames think Smith can give them upper end goaltending for another year or two then yes he fits. But if he can't I think the flames would probably be in trouble under AV 

ill be really surprised if he's an option personally. He will be expensive, has no links to Treliving or Burke, isn't a great fit for a younger team, and he really isn't a match philosophically with what Treliving has been trying to build. 

4 minutes ago, cross16 said:

I think the biggest variable there is how do you view the flames goaltending. For me, His defensive structure is a mini disaster so if the flames think Smith can give them upper end goaltending for another year or two then yes he fits. But if he can't I think the flames would probably be in trouble under AV 

ill be really surprised if he's an option personally. He will be expensive, has no links to Treliving or Burke, isn't a great fit for a younger team, and he really isn't a match philosophically with what Treliving has been trying to build. 

I don;t know that he's the right guy for the job.

But, I also think that Gully is the wrong guy.

There will be casualties after the 1st playoff round.

BT has been trying to build something, but I don;t know if he has the sense of what players he needs to get there.

A coach with no history of winning at the NHL level may not have been the right idea to provide that.  

Getting career seasons out of Gaudreau and Monahan is nothing the coach should hang his hat on.  They were destined to get there anyway.

It's the rest of the team that you need to validate the coach on.  Bennett, Brodie, Hamonic, Lazar, etc. 

All over the map today, but I think that the GM needs to bring in a new school hockey guy (unlike Burke) to provide some direction.  It's one thing to win the corsi game, but you need to score at the same time and prevent goals.  So maybe Brouwer and Brodie and Hathaway and Bennett have good corsi numbers, but are they the right fit for the team you are building.   

1 hour ago, The_People1 said:

He is great for a rebuild. He brought the Canucks to the next level when Kesler, the Twins, Burrows were all babies. He utilized a defensive system to get them wins and confidence. Then when they wanted a more exciting team, he changed the system to one that almost brought them a cup. They didn't win it, but he has gotten two teams very close to it. 

20 hours ago, JTech780 said:

Wouldn't we need to give up a draft choice to hire AV as he is still under contract?

2 hours ago, robrob74 said:

He is great for a rebuild. He brought the Canucks to the next level when Kesler, the Twins, Burrows were all babies. He utilized a defensive system to get them wins and confidence. Then when they wanted a more exciting team, he changed the system to one that almost brought them a cup. They didn't win it, but he has gotten two teams very close to it. 

If I remember correctly, the Canucks already had those kids on the roster when he took over.  He took them to the next level.  That's what I mean.  If we think we already have the peices, then he's a good fit.  If we are still looking to add peices, then he won't work them into the core.

AV was just the 1st to get the axe so no need to jump the gun. Wait to see who becomes available as teams fall in the playoffs. Some good 1s are on the hot seat.

Hopefully management (whether BT is retained or not) has a possible in mind so has patience.

I do hope they give GG his walking papers asap though for 2 reasons. 1 is to give him as much time as possible to xatch on elsewhere & 2nd is to let available coachs know there is an opening in Calgary for their consideration.

jjgallow once said something along the lines of that the Flames are not actually serious about building a winning team. I think that was last summer or so. I was not convinced of that sentiment at the time, but it did give me reason to pause. I think that the Flames want to win of course. The question is whether they are willing to do what it takes to be contenders. If a well established coach is needed to make the team contenders, are they willing to spend the money that this will take? Will they be interested in spending Vigneault, Quenneville, or Babcock money to get into this position? 

3 minutes ago, Flyerfan52 said:

AV was just the 1st to get the axe so no need to jump the gun. Wait to see who becomes available as teams fall in the playoffs. Some good 1s are on the hot seat.

Hopefully management (whether BT is retained or not) has a possible in mind so has patience.

I do hope they give GG his walking papers asap though for 2 reasons. 1 is to give him as much time as possible to xatch on elsewhere & 2nd is to let available coachs know there is an opening in Calgary for their consideration.

.Absolutely (said in my best Hrudey voice).

No need to rush the decision on the new coach, but you have to decide now about firing the old guy.  Sucks for the timing, and kudos for him and TMac heading to SK to help, but it's a decision that needs to be made soon.  There's no pride in guiding a team from a playoff spot to 20th in the league.  Epic collapse.  Team shares in the cause, but it falls squarely on the coach.

Archived