Glen Gulutzan-16th Flames Coach

phoenix66

2 hours ago, The_Snowbear said:

Your right but I remember a comment made at one time and this comment seems to still ring True  I think Darryl Sutter said it The flames are a difficult team to coach now you can Replace Gg This year Go For it but will things Really change this type of Team not listening to there coach in calgary has been going on for 30 years why not let it continue you can replace the  coach but really is it gonna Change

The only player left from that era is Giordano. Does that mean the culture hasn’t changed?

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 hours ago, DirtyDeeds said:

We generally give our coaches 2-3 seasons to get the job done.

Last coach to only get 1 season was Jim Playfair in 2006-07 season, 11 years ago.

3afdc7f043160f01b312f2df80a29e5e.png

Oddly enough GG has the highest win% since Iron Mike.

Gully is a good coach, he's just not the right coach for this team. These exit meetings will dictate whether or not Gully sees his contract through and the type of coach Treliving and Burke pursue next. Who knows who'll be the one to figure out the secret sauce for this team,  we'll have to see who becomes available into the summer I'd imagine. 

7 hours ago, rickross said:

Gully is a good coach, he's just not the right coach for this team. These exit meetings will dictate whether or not Gully sees his contract through and the type of coach Treliving and Burke pursue next. Who knows who'll be the one to figure out the secret sauce for this team,  we'll have to see who becomes available into the summer I'd imagine. 

Not sure how you place him as a good coach, the record and eye test dictate other wise. Gully and all the coaching staff need to be removed immediately and IMHO Trevling is only good on contracts.

18 minutes ago, tmac70 said:

Not sure how you place him as a good coach, the record and eye test dictate other wise. Gully and all the coaching staff need to be removed immediately and IMHO Trevling is only good on contracts.

As much as I place blame on GG, the players do deserve some if the blame. Gully did do some good things for this team, it just wasn't enough to make a difference. Im not advocating for him as an NHL HC but I'm sure he can still land an assistant job in the NHL. There are worse coaches out there IMO 

23 minutes ago, rickross said:

As much as I place blame on GG, the players do deserve some if the blame. Gully did do some good things for this team, it just wasn't enough to make a difference. Im not advocating for him as an NHL HC but I'm sure he can still land an assistant job in the NHL. There are worse coaches out there IMO 

The reality is he is middle of the pack and he like his team has to get much better. Identifying the problem(s) and having all of management take the responsibility to remedy certain situations is what needs to take place.

On 3/21/2018 at 7:59 PM, The_Snowbear said:

Your right but I remember a comment made at one time and this comment seems to still ring True  I think Darryl Sutter said it The flames are a difficult team to coach now you can Replace Gg This year Go For it but will things Really change this type of Team not listening to there coach in calgary has been going on for 30 years why not let it continue you can replace the  coach but really is it gonna Change

Then there is the old saying since time began, "You can't replace the whole team, so the coach is the one who has to go"

Friedman reported today that Bill Peters has an opt out clause in his contract due to the management change in Carolina, so once the season is done he can look around. 

That is a call Treliving needs to make and if he can get him here you need to. He is a very good coach. 

11 hours ago, cross16 said:

Friedman reported today that Bill Peters has an opt out clause in his contract due to the management change in Carolina, so once the season is done he can look around. 

That is a call Treliving needs to make and if he can get him here you need to. He is a very good coach. 

Student of Babcocks. Originally from Three Hills. Seems like it could be a fit

On 3/22/2018 at 0:08 PM, The_People1 said:

Or maybe we have discovered the one constant.  The problem.  And Giordano must go.

DO you think he's the problem with the culture or a problem getting people to buy into the culture?

12 hours ago, cross16 said:

Call now before another coach gets the axe.  There has been zero coaching changes this season.  We should be the first one to can our complete staff.

"DO you think he's the problem with the culture or a problem getting people to buy into the culture?"

I've never been in the Flames dressing room and have absolutely no idea what the culture actually is.

My uniformed guess is that the problem is getting some of the players to buy into the culture/system.

I do not think that the Flames have a bad culture or system, but like I said, it's just my guess.

36 minutes ago, 420since1974 said:

"DO you think he's the problem with the culture or a problem getting people to buy into the culture?"

I've never been in the Flames dressing room and have absolutely no idea what the culture actually is.

My uniformed guess is that the problem is getting some of the players to buy into the culture/system.

I do not think that the Flames have a bad culture or system, but like I said, it's just my guess.

I was playing devil's advocate with Peeps.  Wasn;t sure if he was being sarcastic or if he believes Gio to be the problem.

If I understand it, Peeps is saying that Gio is part of the same culture from the days of Iggy.  Don;t know if that's true or whether Gio is pulling his hair out trying to be heard.  I heard reports of in-fighting between players.  Seems to be a few different schools of thought in the room/on the bench.  After the same game, Hamonic says one thing, while Brouwer says something different.  I can't believe that any player or coach would be happy with losses so lopsided.  

I'm not going to sit here and point fingers at Gio for not getting the team behind him.  If he's ineffective as a leader, replace him.  If he's getting drowned out by some players, fix that problem.    

18 hours ago, travel_dude said:

I was playing devil's advocate with Peeps.  Wasn;t sure if he was being sarcastic or if he believes Gio to be the problem.

If I understand it, Peeps is saying that Gio is part of the same culture from the days of Iggy.  Don;t know if that's true or whether Gio is pulling his hair out trying to be heard.  I heard reports of in-fighting between players.  Seems to be a few different schools of thought in the room/on the bench.  After the same game, Hamonic says one thing, while Brouwer says something different.  I can't believe that any player or coach would be happy with losses so lopsided.  

I'm not going to sit here and point fingers at Gio for not getting the team behind him.  If he's ineffective as a leader, replace him.  If he's getting drowned out by some players, fix that problem.    

Oh I was just being sarcastic but my general belief is that captains aren't what they used to be anymore.  I mean, back in the 80s, captains were basically elected by the dressing room by the players to interface with coaches, management, and the media.  They played a key role.

In today's world of fast player turnover, multi-million dollar players, money over loyalty, etc, captains serve only as a marketing tool.  It's up to the individual to self motivate and buy into the concept of team.

2 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

Oh I was just being sarcastic but my general belief is that captains aren't what they used to be anymore.  I mean, back in the 80s, captains were basically elected by the dressing room by the players to interface with coaches, management, and the media.  They played a key role.

In today's world of fast player turnover, multi-million dollar players, money over loyalty, etc, captains serve only as a marketing tool.  It's up to the individual to self motivate and buy into the concept of team.

Agreed, well said.

I also think leadership has to be more than 1 person. I think teams get into trouble when 1 person is looked to lead all the time, which is why I think the Flames struggled in this department under Iginla. 

On 3/24/2018 at 10:34 PM, cross16 said:

have to admit to not knowing a lot about him, i do recall he threw his goalies under the bus and was a big part of ruining Lack.. and is well on their way to ruining Darling too..but at the same time hard to say how much of that was on the Goalie coach.. ironically , David Marcoux who was the man behind Kipper

On 3/26/2018 at 11:55 AM, cross16 said:

Agreed, well said.

I also think leadership has to be more than 1 person. I think teams get into trouble when 1 person is looked to lead all the time, which is why I think the Flames struggled in this department under Iginla. 

that and even at his best i never considered him a leader .. he had the "follow me " style, which is effective .. but unfortunately id have never made him captain .. Regehr, as much as I hated him as a human being , should have had the C IMO

35 minutes ago, phoenix66 said:

have to admit to not knowing a lot about him, i do recall he threw his goalies under the bus and was a big part of ruining Lack.. and is well on their way to ruining Darling too..but at the same time hard to say how much of that was on the Goalie coach.. ironically , David Marcoux who was the man behind Kipper

Hard to make that link. Carolina is one of the better defensive teams in the league but they keep rolling the dice on unproven backups who have never been starters. I think that has more to do with it than the way Peters coaches. 

I've just always been impressed with how Carolina plays the game under Peters. They are quick, pressure hard and always come out prepared and ready to play. I also think its damn impressive that Carolina is constantly in the playoff race in a tough division despite the fact Peters has never had any goaltending and has little in the way of top end offensive talent. He's also won at every level for Canada internationally so he appears to be extremely well respected. (Won gold at Under 18s, World Championships and World Cup of Hockey).

57 minutes ago, phoenix66 said:

Some goalies just can't handle the pressure of being the guy and IMO that's more of the problem than anything that Peters did, and also the fact that neither Lack or Darling were all that great to begin with. 

Peters has coached to the talent on that team, they have a great young defense, quick forwards, but not much offense and basically no goaltending. Yet they have been a top team at shots allowed and PK while he has been there. Give him some goaltending and some offense and see what he can do. Just the way he carries himself, you get the sense that he will command respect from his players.

14 minutes ago, cross16 said:

Hard to make that link. Carolina is one of the better defensive teams in the league but they keep rolling the dice on unproven backups who have never been starters. I think that has more to do with it than the way Peters coaches. 

I've just always been impressed with how Carolina plays the game under Peters. They are quick, pressure hard and always come out prepared and ready to play. I also think its damn impressive that Carolina is constantly in the playoff race in a tough division despite the fact Peters has never had any goaltending and has little in the way of top end offensive talent. He's also won at every level for Canada internationally so he appears to be extremely well respected. (Won gold at Under 18s, World Championships and World Cup of Hockey).

all good points , i actually forgot about his international connection 

ive also wondered, if GG would accept a sideways move .. like we did with Jim Playfair, or the co-coach scenario .. make him second fiddle to a seasoned name 

11 minutes ago, phoenix66 said:

all good points , i actually forgot about his international connection 

ive also wondered, if GG would accept a sideways move .. like we did with Jim Playfair, or the co-coach scenario .. make him second fiddle to a seasoned name 

I don't see any value with doing that.  Keep him or let him go.  

You keep him because you don't think he is the problem.

You let him go to move on.

6 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

I don't see any value with doing that.  Keep him or let him go.  

You keep him because you don't think he is the problem.

You let him go to move on.

my only thinking there is that he had lots of good qualities and ideas, i see him as just not being ready .  his biggest weaknesses are in game decisions and managing players.

GG has irritated me all year long. I didn't understand the love affair with Brouwer, some of the lineups were strange to say the least, and I am not sure why he hired Cameron. If memory serves, that was his call. More generally, it seemed that the players did not respond to his coaching or that his style was not possible given our roster. If he stays, I hope that Treliving moves out a number of players and gives GG some say in their replacements. I don't see that happening when they were not even willing to let him choose all of his assistant coaches. If we keep him, I suspect that we are in for another frustrating year.

13 hours ago, Cowtownguy said:

. I don't see that happening when they were not even willing to let him choose all of his assistant coaches.

It's very common practice that at least one of the assistant coaches are chosen as a collective group. Not often the case the coach gets to picks all his assistants. I beelive Jarrard was Gulutzan's pick and Cameron was hired collectively by hockey ops. 

i get we all hate Cameron and certainly deserves fair share of blame but I think we forget he is a pretty accomplished coach. Lots of success at the Junior level, medals as part of the World Junior program and was an assistant coach for a gold medal for Canada and the World Championships. I'm not a fan personally, but I think the hire was far from terrible at the time. 

41 minutes ago, cross16 said:

It's very common practice that at least one of the assistant coaches are chosen as a collective group. Not often the case the coach gets to picks all his assistants. I beelive Jarrard was Gulutzan's pick and Cameron was hired collectively by hockey ops. 

i get we all hate Cameron and certainly deserves fair share of blame but I think we forget he is a pretty accomplished coach. Lots of success at the Junior level, medals as part of the World Junior program and was an assistant coach for a gold medal for Canada and the World Championships. I'm not a fan personally, but I think the hire was far from terrible at the time. 

it was also quoted in more than one place that GG picked Cameron , called him his "top of my list " hires 

http://calgaryherald.com/sports/hockey/nhl/calgary-flames/flames-hire-former-senators-head-coach-dave-cameron-as-assistant

Archived